Comics Does Emma Have The Right TO Be Co-Head of the X-Men & Institute?

rjb182 said:
That is true. I do recognize the difference between behind-the-scenes reasons and on-the-page reasons.

What I'm asking, though, is... has Emma really been written as a BAD teacher (since she reformed)? Or as a good-if-occasionally-selfish teacher who simply has remarkably bad luck with the number of her students that kick the bucket?

I would say it's more like the second one, and if it is, then I'm not gonna blame her because the Marvel U. is a place where tons of people die...

I'd say as of New X-men: Academy she's been writen as someone that has no problem showing favortism toward students and a lot of her decisions and feelings seem to be based on that instead of being objective. Her feelings toward Dani weren't well hidden I feel. Most of the new young X-men team being mostly made of her Hellions squad after she had forced Dani to leave. She was just looking to get rid of her I feel and when M-day hit she had her chance. She loved the fact that Wither went to her for help and had no problem throwing Dani's mistake with Wither back in her face and was smiling at Dani's sadness about what she had done. Clearly didn't want X-32 on the team. While I can understand that X-32 was on the team. She may sayd that she was to dangerous but I question even that due to her having no problem with a hot head like Hellion leading a team and doing nothing to calm him down or put him in his place due to the rest of the students. It was Scott that basiclly that attempted to control him and let him know he didn't care for his behaviour (especially after he tried to say that since Scott was with Emma he should go easy on him).

Emma comes off as wanting to be the center of attention. As co-headmaster she and Scott should decide on things together. She tends to do things on her own, with Scott not knowing at all about them ahead of time. The fake Sentinel attack at the school assemble in Astonishing X-men for example and then her VERY, VERY, VERY Magneto-ish speech which seems to go against what Xavier thought and what the message the school was original trying to get across. I ask again, what type of teacher or headmaster goes aroudn impressionable children of all ages dressed the way she is. What kind of message is that sending to both male and female students, who already are struggling with being mutants.

She acts like she's the one in charge and that Scott is her helper instead of them being a team. At least that's how I think she's being writen. She doesn't act like she's teaching kids and helping them learn and understand themselves she acts like she's training a future army at times, always seeing a threat. While there are always threats, she doesn't seem to be looking at the positive. Her beliefs just clash with the primary idea of what the Institute is suppose to be about and what the kids there actually need to have. She may not be evil anymore but her belief structure is setup in such a way I think that she shouldn't be teaching anyone other then how to actually control their powers. Certainly not leading or molding a young minds outside of controlling their powers.

She's just to shady I feel to be in charge of the school or around the students in general.

Effect said:
She may sayd that she was to dangerous but I question even that due to her having no problem with a hot head like Hellion leading a team and doing nothing to calm him down or put him in his place due to the rest of the students. It was Scott that basiclly that attempted to control him and let him know he didn't care for his behaviour (especially after he tried to say that since Scott was with Emma he should go easy on him).

Did you not read the Hellions miniserie, Emma really layed it on hard to hellion about his attitude. Also don't forget she's put Surge (a new mutant) in charge of the new squad.

Why wouldn't she be? She proved herself capable as Co-Headmaster at their sister school in "Generation X"...

And before ANYBODY says that was a failure, lets look at it carefully....

Only 1 student died Synch, and that wasn't her fault. She had no idea about her sisters intentions to kill Gen X, and she popped a cap in her as revenge...Good on Emma.

The only reason why Gen X disbanded was because they didn't want to be taught by Emma anymore because she had committed murder. Selfish brats!! she did it for them.

Banshee was worse!! he'd become a raving alchoholic turned paramilitary vigilante.

I think as leader of the X-Men, maybe not.. but as a Co-Headmistress then why not? Shes just a school headmistress, its just a managerial role and it frees up other possible mutants, like Beast, to do things more useful.
As for her pupils, its not so much that she gets them killed, more that they seem to get targeted a lot.

ProfeZZor X said:
Why Xavier approved of her heading the school, versus the original students is beyond me... Business background or not. It's not like the institute is making a lot of money off of housing and educating the newer students.
Xavier didnt aprove her.. he abandoned the school. All of the other original students had better things to do, it was only really Emma that wanted to keep it as a school, which is why she was thus put in charge of running it.
Also, it isnt about business at all. Theyre trying to train up the kids for a better future. Im guessing theyre using either normal school funding or still relying on donations from their richer memebers, like emma and Angel.

Effect said:
Clearly didn't want X-32 on the team. While I can understand that X-32 was on the team. She may sayd that she was to dangerous but I question even that due to her having no problem with a hot head like Hellion leading a team and doing nothing to calm him down or put him in his place due to the rest of the students.
I think the X-23 is a good call on Emmas side of things, and maybe Scotts being a bit dangerous by assuming that shes being childish not letting her on the team.
The thing with x-23... she may seem like a nice sweet victimised girl.. but she isnt. Shes a cold blooded psychopathic killer. Sure Hellions a bit hot headed.. but he wasnt raised as a weapon with no morals or compassion. The kids in the NYX series were pretty much the first people that shes encountered in her entire life that she didnt murder. If Emmas looked into her head and knows a history, it isnt favouritism thats stopping her letting her on the team, its fear. Anyone here whos read the X23 series, would you really b happy about a girl like that in the same class as your kids?

Chamber_UK said:

Only 1 student died Synch, and that wasn't her fault. She had no idea about her sisters intentions to kill Gen X, and she popped a cap in her as revenge...Good on Emma.

The only reason why Gen X disbanded was because they didn't want to be taught by Emma anymore because she had committed murder. Selfish brats!! she did it for them.

Banshee was worse!! he'd become a raving alchoholic turned paramilitary vigilante.

Though the institution they ran may have not been failures you can still argue that both Sean and Emma were failures personaly. Emma for crossing a line the others didn't want to and Sean for becoming a wreck.

Chamber_UK said:

How is killing her sister good on Emma? Thats not what the X-men are about, and she's teaching at the Xavier institute after all. Why would they put someone in charge who teaches kids almost Magneto-style tactics (Astonishing X-men 1)?

I dont think they were selfish. They have their own morals, and it made sense. "She did it for them" sounds like a classic villain line :p

If anything that should be the main and most important arguement against her I feel. She is way to Magento like in her beliefs and teachings. That isn't want the Institute is about. Her desire to teach shouldn't be a factor, her entire belief structure and what she teaches should have sent up flags.

While Prof X isn't running the school anymore but if he were to have heard her speechs I'm pretty sure he'd have something to say about what was going on. Scott is so ***** wiped and that's why he isn't saying anything and others have shown their dislike for her but doing anymore would mean going against Scott and I don't think they'd want to do that cause that would cause open conflict between members.

One can only hope Scott gets his head on straight and look around at what is going on. The problems between him and her in Astonishing seems like that might be the direction they are going. At least I hope. I wonder how he will react when he learns she's apart of the new Hellfire Club. The kiss with Logan on the cover doesn't look like a good thing either.

I think Scott sees all Emma's faults, he just thinks he can change her. That's a very natural reaction when you're attracted to somebody and can see a good heart in them (Emma's is buried, but I think it is there) but disagree with the way they're living their life. You try to "save" them. It's usually a bad idea. But you try.

And I'm not sure Xavier would disapprove; he's always been the ultimate "I destroy my enemy by making him my friend" guy, who took in Emma and Rogue and Juggernaut and even tried to help Sabretooth.

He might be disappointed at the extent to which Emma's teaching according to her philosophy instead of his, but on the other hand this is the guy who let *Magneto* teach the New Mutants. Mags was defanged at the time, but Xavier more or less asked him to reform, *then* trusted him to change his methods. So he might have given Emma every bit as much slack as Scott has given her.

Aw, heck. I'm an Emma fan, so like Scott, perhaps I overlook her flaws too much. I concede that. I just think having her in change of the school is one of those situations that offers so many dramatic possibilities that it's worth ignoring the fact that it may not be a smart idea.

EEK! This is like asking if pedophiles make good baby sitters...

FieryBalrog said:
How is killing her sister good on Emma? Thats not what the X-men are about, and she's teaching at the Xavier institute after all. Why would they put someone in charge who teaches kids almost Magneto-style tactics (Astonishing X-men 1)?

I dont think they were selfish. They have their own morals, and it made sense. "She did it for them" sounds like a classic villain line :p

Yeah the X-Men may not be about killing. But there is more then just Emma whoes killed, and more then just Emma who thinks that its neccissary at times.

Its been said in the comics, Emma's not evil, she's just PREDETARY!!! That doesn't make her an evil person, just one that you've got to be careful around.

Sammy told emma about 'black tom' being in the woods... emma didnt believe... Sammy was killed by Black Tom that night..

Guilt attack! oh wait... i dont recall her feeling guilty about this..

Chamber_UK said:
Yeah the X-Men may not be about killing. But there is more then just Emma whoes killed, and more then just Emma who thinks that its neccissary at times.

Its been said in the comics, Emma's not evil, she's just PREDETARY!!! That doesn't make her an evil person, just one that you've got to be careful around.

I didnt say there isnt more to Emma. However, her "pragmatic" and self-serving ideology goes against what Xavier stands for and I think its wrong to teach them that at Xavier Institute. The X-men have enough problems as it is. As I said no need to teach the kids almost Magneto-style philosophies in Xaviers institute. The X-men shouldn't stand for that.

Would it be OK for a creationist to teach creationism in science class? I think thats my problem with it most of all.

As I've said a million times before when the topic of Emma leading anything X-related has come up.

If everything was right and normal in the MU every single x-man save for Scott would be in a dark room in the sub-basement drawing straws on who got to axe the ***** and bury her body. Kitty wouldn't be getting snippy with her; she would be phasing her big-tittied body into a concrete wall. Rachel would stop whining about her dead mommy and TK decapitate the home-wrecker that caused it all in the first place.

But instead we have Emma leading the X-men and the school. Even after her less than stellar performances so far with getting innocent children (save for Esme). Someone needs to die, i'm just not sure if it's Emma or the idiots that are keeping her in charge.

Chasers1984(2) said:
Rachel would stop whining about her dead mommy and TK decapitate the home-wrecker that caused it all in the first place.

Rachel tried that. Emma schooled her...

Actually Rachel attacked her telepathically, not telekinetically. Me, I'd prefer Betsy to do the beheading with her nice tk sword (that can shatter mountains, in case you didn't know).

Back on subject, Emma has the right to be Headmistress, she's earned it, it's what she is, she is a teacher. But I believe she should NEVER even set foot on an X-Mission, she's not a hero, she's a teacher. She should remain at the mansion with the kids, not going around with the X-Men fighting Ord and such.

im sorry but i disagree with the lot of you, emma deserves to be where she is right now, the only thing i feel she shouldnt be is leader and shes not so much at that anyway, but emma not only has her own bussiness, has been headmistress on two occasions, and shes probably partly funding the school right now, but everyone forgets that in the comic time, she hasent been a "good guy" for that long of a time, shes still learning to control herself, hellions were her fault, but that was when she was foolish and evil, but she did mourn them, which is a great reason for her redemption, she could not read her sisters mind and was despreate to keep funding to her school, a sacrafice she made for her students when she shot her for killing a student, sophie was being controled by esme when she died so that esme could gain dominance of the stepford cuckoos, so that was not emmas fualt, i dont read any other x-title now than astonishing, so i didnt even know about those other deaths, but the two mentioned are not emmas fualt, and i think this is also poor writing and taken too far on writers parts.

On the topic of not showing guilt about her former deceased students, its purely because we haven't seen it on panel. We know from the past that Emma takes the death of her children very seriously and hard. If every writer showed emma guilt ridden over every death there would be any more room for anything else in the comics.

She knows that she has crap luck with childrens lives, but you have to realise these kids are targets regardless of the fact they are being taught by emma. Some of them will die that that is inevitable, all she's doing is trying to toughen them up to have a chance at surviving on their own two feet.

Yes shes pragmatic, predatory, and selfish. And her ideals are not the same as Xaviers or Magnetos. But as Xavier has come to realise with Magneto is that these children need to be presented with different ideals and they have to find their own place in life, its not a matter of 'fall in line' Xaviers has never been about that.

Personally i think emmas views on mutant-human relations is the most realistic as opossed to Xaviers fantasy dream, and Magnetos genicidal dream.

Keep her away from the Institute.

Keep her away from the X-Men.

Just...keep her away. :o

I think most people hate her right now because of her relationship with Scott.

Maybe but maybe people hate her because of the way she is. Her relationship with Scott is just one aspect of the whole screwed up situation I feel.

I absoutley love her and everything about her. She's one of the most interesting characters in the Marvel universe IMO. And I think her being at the institute adds a lot of depth and a few good fueds too.

She makes a great teacher, always pushing, but she does really love her students, even if she is as hard as diamond...she's not a cookie-cutter character, she's not bad, she's human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"