Double Dragon: Neon

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
Already showing some chops in the old-school department with their work on Shantae and Contra 4, developer Wayforward Technologies revealed that they are working with Majesco to bring an updated take on the classic side-scroller Double Dragon to Xbox LIVE Arcade and PlayStation Network. Double Dragon: Neon is an aptly-named 80s style reboot of the beloved franchise and is scheduled to release this July.

Double Dragon: Neon pits players as the familiar Lee brothers, Billy and Jimmy, as they fight to save Marian from a villain named Skullmageddon (Best. Name. Ever.) The gameplay is the same brand of 2D side-scrolling popularized by the original game several decades ago, albeit with even more of a wild, 80s flair.

s in previous Double Dragon games, the gameplay is a blend of martial arts and weapon-based combat. You'll perform combos and use weapons like baseball bats, whips, and hand grenades to take on your enemies. While the fighting system and combos aren't quite as advanced as many fighters on the market these days, the attacks were responsive. The spinning kick move, flying knee, and throws will also be in your fighting move repertoire.

As the name would imply, Double Dragon: Neon is all about neon lights and bright colors (imagine if GTA Vice City threw up on Big Trouble in Little China and you get the idea). The game definitely gets some serious props in the looks department for this, and while the build we checked out lacked in detail, the design was definitely evocative of tacky 80s excess. Ditto for the music, which included a sizable helping of blaring buttrock guitar solos, synth drums, and all the keyboards you could hope for. Songs can be found or bought to add to your in-game mix tape, and can even be leveled up as you play for even more 80's awesomeness.

Double Dragon: Neon's tongue-in-cheek take on the original game will definitely earn it some fresh fans and the 80s flair should help it stand out in the fighting game genre. Expect more information on Double Dragon: Neon before it launches this summer.
Source

tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044157913_1333496621.jpg

More screens:
tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044230141.jpg
tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044154613.jpg
tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044201078.jpg
tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044204515.jpg
tba-double-dragon-neon-20120403044157913.jpg

Is that dude punching that chick in the ****? WTH man, uncalled for.

This looks neat tho.

Nah, he's punching her in the stomach. It's from the opening of the game.

[YT]xb9P0YTeq5Y[/YT]
[YT]Im9zstjaHzQ[/YT]
[YT]aCQ-Nbinx78[/YT]

Nah, he's punching her in the stomach. It's from the opening of the game.

[YT]xb9P0YTeq5Y[/YT]
[YT]Im9zstjaHzQ[/YT]
[YT]aCQ-Nbinx78[/YT]

Oh, well i guess thats ok.

Love the 80's vibe but a nitpick I have is I wish it was 2D instead but this cel-shaded 3D could work, anyway I'm pumped. The second Double Dragon game is the only one I've played from the series though.

I'm definitely getting this, I've been wanting another Double Dragon game for ages

there was a Double Dragon game that came out on XBLA a few years ago, it was really bad and got pulled, it had a limited release

That might explain why i don't remember it. I'd bet i'm not the only one ether.

Cool to finally see some Double Dragon action on the main consoles, up until now it's mainly been iphone or foreign consoles like Zeebo. Though I was hoping for a full on reboot/update store release title rather than a Live/PSN title. Still it looks to be cool.

Hopefully it turns out to be good. I haven't played a Double Dragon game since Super Double Dragon (which featured no real story oddly enough).

yup. i never came across that one sorry man. I know about the other ones before that one though

yup. i never came across that one sorry man. I know about the other ones before that one though

The last one I played was Double Dragon Advance, it was cool, but ehh, I downloaded it to my phone a few days ago, just doesn't feel the same

[YT]iAyCqpUFx8M[/YT]

Yeah, it didn't look that great. Though the vs mode at the end brings back memories of playing a similar vs mode on the NES game (wonder if there's any chance of a similar mode being in Neon).

Yeah, it didn't look that great. Though the vs mode at the end brings back memories of playing a similar vs mode on the NES game (wonder if there's any chance of a similar mode being in Neon).

I dunno, me and one of my boys played Super Double Dragon the other day, that game was insane, it was so cool to play it on a 52 inch tv lol. That game had some good death animations when you knock someone down a flight of stairs lol, memories

Yeah, I haven't had access to the actual snes game in years, but I've watched some vids on youtube (I never got to the end even with the 'continue cheat').

Though I'm just wondering. I don't know everything about the games (though probably played half of them), but I'm just wondering what people's stances are on mystical/supernatural elements in any potential new games are? Any adaptation into other media like comics, tv and film have ramped up the mystical angle and are arguably worse for it. Though saying that I think Double Dragon 2 had some elements (don't think 1 did, but it's been forever since I played it and Super certainly didn't).

HELL YEAH! looking forward to this

i love the fact that it's going to have an old school 80s vibe to it

Okay this game REALLY makes me want a new Battletoads game.

Ah yes, i do remember Battletoads. Id play that again via XBLA/PSn

By the looks of the articles, if we're lucky we may get some Toad-based DLC. That would be cool.

I remember playing one Battletaod game for the snes, but I never completed it, though I hear they're notoriously hard.

thing is though that Rare, which is now owned by Microsoft, owns the Battletoads rights

in regards to Rare game, Microsoft has done jack s*** with its properties so i don't expect a new Battletoads game anytime soon

same with Killer Instinct unfortunately

Ah yes, i do remember Battletoads. Id play that again via XBLA/PSn

The arcade version of Battletoads was something else, decapitating rats and what not, fun game though, would love to see that game return

I remember playing one Battletaod game for the snes, but I never completed it, though I hear they're notoriously hard.

I never could beat any of the Battletoads without somehow cheating. Hell using two players was pratically unplayable, because if one person died you'd both have to start at the last checkpoint and if one person lost all their lives and continued, you'd both have to start the level from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"