Dr Strange abilities and Power Level in MCU

Icons, yes, I already played that but completely forgot about it. I remember liking the game mechanics.
I have the rules for Icons, and if I were to ever run a superhero game, that's probably what I'd try using, but I've never played it. Unfortunately, I usually only get to game about once a month, and I've only GM'd once in my life (I'd like to do it again, but the opportunity hasn't arisen yet).

Speaking of... For you D&D heads. If he were a D&D mage what level would he be, what would be his ability scores, spells he could use, etc?

The answer is "The D&D system is profoundly incapable of representing what Dr Strange can do on any level." In any of the D&D settings, Strange would be a statless godbeing who kicks around the local deities for kicks.

The answer is "The D&D system is profoundly incapable of representing what Dr Strange can do on any level." In any of the D&D settings, Strange would be a statless godbeing who kicks around the local deities for kicks.

You suck.

Classic Dr Strange was basically a broken character. A walking talking plot device.

They need to find a happy medium for the films. I don't want classic Strange but i don't want the nerfed version of modern comics either.

Strange should be on a power lever of Thor and the Hulk (maybe just a bit lower). He will just have more abilities. Didn't like how Marvel comic book writers started to try and outdo each other by overpowering their heroes and create even more powerful ones.

Concentrate on the story and make Strange just barely powerful enough to overcome his opponents but also by out thinking them.

The most powerful one SHOULD NOT be nerfed. Lol below Thor and Hulk ? No thanks. They nerfed Thor so I don't want them to nerf Strange too. He should be on screen in his full glory.

The most powerful one SHOULD NOT be nerfed. Lol below Thor and Hulk ? No thanks. They nerfed Thor so I don't want them to nerf Strange too. He should be on screen in his full glory.

I still don't see how they nerfed Thor. Has he been beaten up yet? No. He's taken on armies etc... and hasn't even had a bruise. Hulk should be slightly stronger when angry, Thor should be the better fighter and have the use of his hammer. Strange shouldn't match them in raw power but should have a lot more abilities.

That was how it was in the comics when I was a kid. Admittedly I haven't read any in the last 18 years or so, so have no idea what they have done.

They have to be balanced to an extent. Otherwise you would only need one superhero and the others would be cannon fodder.

Last edited:
Well it is all a bit moot, cos unless Thor fights a Strange villain or Strange fights a Thor villain there will be no comparison as to who is more powerful.

Well it is all a bit moot, cos unless Thor fights a Strange villain or Strange fights a Thor villain there will be no comparison as to who is more powerful.
Yeah, these power arguments always get me.

Don't get me wrong. I think if Strange and the Hulk went at it, Strange would win. Having more abilities and being able to outsmart the Hulk. Just think in raw power stakes Hulk has more.

If Spidey and the Hulk went at it Spidey would probably win, one way or the other.

As with anything though it would depend on the story arc.

Strange vs. Thor. Who wins?

Strange vs. Thor. Who wins?

Depends on the story.

Not up to date on the comics but from 70s 80s I'd say Thor unless Strange was sneaky.

Would say Strange and Loki should be about par. How many villains/problems has Loki caused?

As a Dr. Strange fan, I really hope there are shout outs to classic Strange spells like "Winds of Watoomb" and "Crimson Bands of Cytorrak". Love that stuff.

Assuming we are talking about comic Dr Strange from before he got relentlessly beaten with the nerf stick. . .

Against Hulk, he should just plain win. Hulk is no more powerful than many other people Strange's defenses have casually bounced, and he can do all kinds of horrible things to the Hulk for which Hulk has no answer other than "Hope the writers bring me back in a future comic". There's just only so much a class 100 brick can do against somebody who views death as a polite recommendation and can use exploding planets as a method of propulsion.

Thor, by contrast, I'd say can probably take Strange. Its not so much that Thor is more powerful ( he's not ), its that Thor has an extremely powerful magical artifact that can both block/absorb magical effects, and deliver extremely high damage. Basically, as long as Thor rushes Strange and gives him no chance to do anything fancy, he should be able to bull through his defenses and hammer him in the face. If he hangs back, or waits, or whatnot. . . different story.

Basically, Dr Strange used to be the kind of guy whose rogue's gallery makes Thor's look wee. Strange's primary nemesis is Dormammu, whose basically Skyfather in power scale, and he isn't even the most powerful. Sure, Strange needs to use a lot of skill, cunning, and especially preparation to take on people this powerful. . . but the point is, he does, in fact, take on people that powerful. He may have needed to powerjack an elder god, borrow favors from Eternity, and transfigure himself into something only vaguely human to beat Shuma-Gorath. . . but those are all things he could do.

I don't want Strange nerfalized. I also don't want him using exploding planets for propulsion. Somewhere in that vast gulf is a happy medium. One he doesn't need to reach anytime soon.

Assuming we are talking about comic Dr Strange from before he got relentlessly beaten with the nerf stick. . .

Against Hulk, he should just plain win. Hulk is no more powerful than many other people Strange's defenses have casually bounced, and he can do all kinds of horrible things to the Hulk for which Hulk has no answer other than "Hope the writers bring me back in a future comic". There's just only so much a class 100 brick can do against somebody who views death as a polite recommendation and can use exploding planets as a method of propulsion.

Thor, by contrast, I'd say can probably take Strange. Its not so much that Thor is more powerful ( he's not ), its that Thor has an extremely powerful magical artifact that can both block/absorb magical effects, and deliver extremely high damage. Basically, as long as Thor rushes Strange and gives him no chance to do anything fancy, he should be able to bull through his defenses and hammer him in the face. If he hangs back, or waits, or whatnot. . . different story.

Basically, Dr Strange used to be the kind of guy whose rogue's gallery makes Thor's look wee. Strange's primary nemesis is Dormammu, whose basically Skyfather in power scale, and he isn't even the most powerful. Sure, Strange needs to use a lot of skill, cunning, and especially preparation to take on people this powerful. . . but the point is, he does, in fact, take on people that powerful. He may have needed to powerjack an elder god, borrow favors from Eternity, and transfigure himself into something only vaguely human to beat Shuma-Gorath. . . but those are all things he could do.

And if he was that powerful in the films it wouldn't be balanced. If Kang invaded Earth the Avengers would just leave it to Strange to sort out. The comics got out of control and had (basically) an arms race. Thor Odin force, WW Hulk etc...
Strange could become more powerful in the future as he masters his abilities. But in his first couple of film appearances he can't be ridiculously powerful. Just powerful enough.

Well as a being with vast mystical abilities its not that Strange is more powerful then the hulk or Thor or Superman , cause he can defeat them all with Thor being the hardest to overcome, its the nature of his power and the effects it can have on a person. Like Magneto, he's a powerful mutant with incredible destructive power, but Prof X can take him down easily because of the nature of his power and effects. Prof X cant level a city or take out an army where guys like Superman, Thor and the Hulk can.

I still don't see how they nerfed Thor. Has he been beaten up yet? No. He's taken on armies etc... and hasn't even had a bruise. Hulk should be slightly stronger when angry, Thor should be the better fighter and have the use of his hammer. Strange shouldn't match them in raw power but should have a lot more abilities.

That was how it was in the comics when I was a kid. Admittedly I haven't read any in the last 18 years or so, so have no idea what they have done.

They have to be balanced to an extent. Otherwise you would only need one superhero and the others would be cannon fodder.

Hmmmm, i don't agree. Thor is somewhat underpowered. The Hulk is done right, Superman is dipicted right and Thor can go toe to toe with both of them in the comics. The movie Thor i don't see being able to go toe to toe with movie verse superman. The battle between Supes and Zod was a good interpretation of their power. If Thor fights Supes it suppose to be on a scale like that, but based on Thor's power level we've seen in his films their is no way he can take Superman. The movievese Hulk can, supes would have a hard time with Hulk but he'd win.

Hmmmm, i don't agree. Thor is somewhat underpowered. The Hulk is done right, Superman is dipicted right and Thor can go toe to toe with both of them in the comics. The movie Thor i don't see being able to go toe to toe with movie verse superman. The battle between Supes and Zod was a good interpretation of their power. If Thor fights Supes it suppose to be on a scale like that, but based on Thor's power level we've seen in his films their is no way he can take Superman. The movievese Hulk can, supes would have a hard time with Hulk but he'd win.

I just don't think they have given Thor the chance to show his full strength. They have shown that he is on a level of strength with the Hulk (which is right). Against Iron Man he wasn't really trying to hurt him and took a hit from him 400% of his power with little effect. He did beat the Destroyer pretty easily and against Malekith they were bouncing about a bit.

Remember also the first film has Thor arrogant in his strength and power. It took the lesson from Odin to be more humble.

I agree, but that movie was 35 years ago. I don't think it is comparable to recent movies

Huh, what is 35 years ago? Im talking about in Man of Steel from last year, not Superman from the 80s

I just don't think they have given Thor the chance to show his full strength. They have shown that he is on a level of strength with the Hulk (which is right). Against Iron Man he wasn't really trying to hurt him and took a hit from him 400% of his power with little effect. He did beat the Destroyer pretty easily and against Malekith they were bouncing about a bit.

Remember also the first film has Thor arrogant in his strength and power. It took the lesson from Odin to be more humble.

well considering he fought Loki and didn't just bowl over him then it stands that Loki should be really strong as well. I don't get the feeling that they are. As I've said Thor can fight Superman without Mjolnir and give him a hard time, but its with Mjolnir that gives Thor the edge to beat Supes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"