Endgame Dr Strange/The Sorceror Supreme/Master of the Mystic Arts - Benedict Cumberbatch

He can be the puppet master of the good guys in that way. :up:

It's a long shot possibility sure but it would be a way to have Strange around while still being technically dead and it's in line with what we know he can do.

Imagine him contacting say, Tony, via dreams or what have you or any others, pushing them to not give up or giving them information only he could glean via his astral form.

It's a long shot possibility sure but it would be a way to have Strange around while still being technically dead and it's in line with what we know he can do.

Imagine him contacting say, Tony, via dreams or what have you or any others, pushing them to not give up or giving them information only he could glean via his astral form.
That would be fine with me. And it would be cool as long as it’s only him doing anything like that.

This JUST came to me... Strange goes like everyone else in the snap affected, right? Seems cut and dried. He's dead. He's not able to be part of the story.

Except... We've seen Strange leave his body in the MCU before. Classically his astral projection is a big part of Strange stories going back forever.

So... How do we know Strange didn't leap out before his body was totally obliterated? Without a physical form is he going to be an ace in the hole for the heroes, perhaps without them even knowing it? Think about it. He could influence them in ways they wouldn't know. He saw the way to victory. Who is to say as a formless being he wouldn't tip things into a direction that made the outcome he knows is best possible?
I like this idea. I think they could get away with it even if they used it sparingly.

This JUST came to me... Strange goes like everyone else in the snap affected, right? Seems cut and dried. He's dead. He's not able to be part of the story.

Except... We've seen Strange leave his body in the MCU before. Classically his astral projection is a big part of Strange stories going back forever.

So... How do we know Strange didn't leap out before his body was totally obliterated? Without a physical form is he going to be an ace in the hole for the heroes, perhaps without them even knowing it? Think about it. He could influence them in ways they wouldn't know. He saw the way to victory. Who is to say as a formless being he wouldn't tip things into a direction that made the outcome he knows is best possible?
This is really good. That would be brilliant and original, I can't think of a movie that had anything like this. I want Dr Strange to have another epic moment like his one on one fight with Thanos.

It's a cool idea, but isn't the astral projection just an out-of-body manifestation of the soul? And if the going hypothesis is that the Soul Stone is specifically what allowed for the snap to work in the first place, then Strange's soul would've been taken along with all the others, preventing him from escaping such a death?

It's a cool idea, but isn't the astral projection just an out-of-body manifestation of the soul? And if the going hypothesis is that the Soul Stone is specifically what allowed for the snap to work in the first place, then Strange's soul would've been taken along with all the others, preventing him from escaping such a death?
Good theory.

Question about the time stone. If it can just reverse things that happened, is there a reason Strange couldn’t just turn back the clock and clobber Quill over the head so that they could get the Gauntlet away from Thanos? I might be misremembering something though.

Question about the time stone. If it can just reverse things that happened, is there a reason Strange couldn’t just turn back the clock and clobber Quill over the head so that they could get the Gauntlet away from Thanos? I might be misremembering something though.
IMO, the answer to these types of questions "why didn't they do this, or do that" type of thing... especially as it pertains to the group on Titan (and some may view this as a 'cop out' answer), is going to be given that Strange saw 14 million+ possibilities of how the fight against Thanos goes, and only 1 where they succeed in defeating Thanos, Quill losing it was something that needed to happen. For all we know, Strange saw a future where he (or someone) DID stop Quill and it leads to one of the "we can't win at all" futures.

IMO, the answer to these types of questions "why didn't they do this, or do that" type of thing... especially as it pertains to the group on Titan (and some may view this as a 'cop out' answer), is going to be given that Strange saw 14 million+ possibilities of how the fight against Thanos goes, and only 1 where they succeed in defeating Thanos, Quill losing it was something that needed to happen. For all we know, Strange saw a future where he (or someone) DID stop Quill and it leads to one of the "we can't win at all" futures.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

I can't stop thinking about
that last look Strange gives Tony. And holding his index finger upwards to indicate that this was the one "win" he invisioned. Benedict conveyed so much in that one gaze. Just terrific
Yeah it was brilliant and it told you everything that was about to happen. Looking forward to the high quality gifs.

Last edited:
Was cool seeing him back. Was a little gutted we never got Strange vs. Maw round 2 but him bringing the back up to the battle was definitely his moment to shine.

A bit disappointing that we didn't get to see more of him, not even a cool fight scene moment since he has the best powers but oh well. I understand the focus is on the conclusion of the Avengers.

Yeah it was dope when he showed up even if it didn't get the same shine that he did in IW. I am still really looking forward to a Doctor Strange 2 as well.

He didn't get very much to do, except for
that whirlwind tornado thing to stop the flood
- but that was cool. I'm excited for Doctor Strange 2, and I hope he takes a leadership position going forward.

He didn't do a lot per se, but his presence and how they used him was to great affect to the third act. One might even say that even though dead his impact from the first film was still being felt within the first two thirds of AEG. His character loomed rather large considering he is a more recent addition to the MCU as compared to the likes of Steve or Tony etc.

He didn't do a lot per se, but his presence and how they used him was to great affect to the third act. One might even say that even though dead his impact from the first film was still being felt within the first two thirds of AEG. His character loomed rather large considering he is a more recent addition to the MCU as compared to the likes of Steve or Tony etc.

This is spot on, especially as....
the only reason the Ancient One surrendered the time stone was because Strange had done so. He has only one line after his return, but it's a vital one and ..
I can't stop thinking about
that last look Strange gives Tony. And holding his index finger upwards to indicate that this was the one "win" he invisioned. Benedict conveyed so much in that one gaze. Just terrific

Is such a subtle but important moment. Cumberbatch sells it perfectly

We didn't get much but the little focus he got was effective. Benedict has undeniable screen presence, he commands your attention in every scene. I'm looking forward to Dr Strange 2. Most anticipated MCU movie for me.

So I have a theory
I always felt that 1 out of 14,000,605 odds seemed kind of skewed. But then the Ancient One talked about knowing Strange will become "the best of them all" it reminded me of how she said she looked into the future to prevent great disasters but couldn't see past the moment of her death. It made me realize that Strange was unable to view anything past his own death, so for 14,000,604 times Strange died refusing to give up the stone. While any number of these could have been successful in preventing Thanos from getting all six, he had no way of knowing for certain since he couldn't see any farther. Thanos would also still possess 4-5 stones, enough to go from world to world to accomplish his goal, albeit much slower. The final future was the only one in which he survives long enough to get snap out of, then back into, life to see a path to a complete victory.

To be fair, he got a decent amount of screen time in IW. This movie was supposed to focus on the O6.
That's true. I was still quite shocked how little he/BP/Spiderman got this time around. But he was amazing in Infinity War.

Hopefully the sequel takes advantage of all the new fans he won over last year.

I am somewhat unsatisfied with the notion "he or she got more screen time in the previous one, so now they need to step back" in a three-hour movie. I think, for instance, that IW did a better job in less time, as it provided lots of characters moments to shine. The Hulk got a few good punches, the New York part gave IM, Strange, Spidey and Wong a chance to shine, the Titan battle showcased Strange's true power, Iron Man drew Thanos' blood, Spidey rocket, the Guardians had a few nice shots as well. Caps too had enough screen time imho, he fought in the beginning and during the end. Holding off Thanos' hand is as epic as a human can get, imho. Then you had characters like Vision, Wanda, Warmachine, BP, who all had one bad-ass moment. Of course, we can't forget Thor, the MVP.

Now Endgame...

...focused on the OG6, however, what other's see as the highlight of the film, the final fight, is my biggest disappointment. That final fight was pretty much the only fight of a three-hour long, superhero movie and I expected lots of characters to shine. However, I think that they did not reap Strange's potential here. The same goes for Thor: where was his area clearing thunder strike? Where was Spidey? Ant-Man? Yes, they all had a couple of frames where you saw one punch, but I am talking about each character having a "Legolas-taking-down-an-oliphant"-scene. I do admit, I have never liked Caps. It is a matter of personal taste. It is not so much the actor as it is the character. Considering that he consumed more than a third of the whole three hours while rendered the better Thor, it is no surprise to me that this movie is at the bottom of my list. Hence, I think the writers could have still put the focus on the OG6, even if they would have cut each character's screentime by 25% and adding that to the final battle.

Now I really can't understand the logic/reason on why
Dr.Strange even asked Tony on whether or not he could get them home back when they were on Maw's ship because we all saw that he had the portal ring on as he used it to transfer all of the heroes to the final battle.

A bit disappointing that we didn't get to see more of him, not even a cool fight scene moment since he has the best powers but oh well. I understand the focus is on the conclusion of the Avengers.

Don't forget that he also got a huge amount of focus in Infinity War, including being part of the huge Titan fight scene. He already got his chance to shine, basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"