Infinity War How Doctor Strange will fit into Infinity War

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
If anything since Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as Dr. Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange I wonder how he will fit into the Infinity War? Or better yet how Stephen will fit into the Avengers team considering they already have new additions in Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Falcon

I expect Strange will probably end up being the leader of The New Avengers, given that Cumberbatch is the biggest name in Phase 3. Once RDJ's contract is used up, Cumberbatch will be there to fill in his shoes.

You do have a point, Cumberbatch taking over as the new leader for The Avengers makes sense with Iron Man hanging up his suit and I think Strange would be able to hold his own with Cap, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hill, Fury, etc.

Eh, I really doubt it. Dr Strange will be a major figure, but I don't think he's going to join the Avengers. They will want to be able to develop the mystic world further, and its easier to do that if Strange mainly acts within his own milieu. The Avengers, by that point, should have enough cachet to carry on even without a singular RDJ-level actor.

Eh, I really doubt it. Dr Strange will be a major figure, but I don't think he's going to join the Avengers. They will want to be able to develop the mystic world further, and its easier to do that if Strange mainly acts within his own milieu. The Avengers, by that point, should have enough cachet to carry on even without a singular RDJ-level actor.

I think we can definitely assume Strange will be joining the Avengers. You don't hire Benedict Cumberbatch to just wander about on his own. Marvel wants to integrate their properties as much as possible. Some of the other team movies like Guardians and Inhumans won't be major parts of the Avengers franchise, but all the solo films will probably lead into an Avengers team up.

I don't know how he'll fit in, but I'd imagine he will. Like many have stated, they hired Benedict Cumberbatch, you can't leave him out of IW. Plus, I've been dying to see RDJ and Cumberbatch interact.

This is where it gets tricky. In Infinity War Strange basically only travels with Galactus through time and space and even to Agamotto's world and I don't see them putting any of that in the movies.

I could see Strange possibly finding or wielding the Time Gem much like Vision and the Mind Gem.

Reviving this thread, since Strange is basically confirmed, and BC has mentioned the logistics of aligning his schedule with Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany.

So, Iron Man, Thor, Scarlet Witch, and Vision are some of the characters he will likely interact with, as far as we know now. Looking forward to how that will play out.

Everyone assumes the Eye of Agamotto is the Time Stone. Thanos or his forces show up to take it and Strange has to team up with the Avengers to protect it or get it back.

There's a line in one of the TV spots about the Avenger's protecting from the physical threats vs the Magic beings protecting from dimensional issues etc.

For that reason alone I don't see Strange leading the Avengers at the end of IFW. I do think he plays a role in navigating whatever dimensional fracturing Thanos causes.

As for Phase 3 though I could see Strange providing whatever the mega villian is for the next team up after IFW.

Strange isn't really an Avengers team player anyway. In the comics, the main period where he was a member of the team was only that way because he had lost the cloak and Eye of Agamotto, and had his powers greatly reduced.

Usually, a major part of the problem is that he's much too powerful to actually work as a member of the team. And before someone says "Hulk and Thor and Captain Marvel are powerful too", they're powerful in different ways than Strange. They're physical brutes and can be easily thwarted/challenged by either giving them a tougher opponent or a problem they can't punch their way out of. Strange is different. He's powerful in a way that means he should logically be able to solve most conflicts the heroes face in about 10 seconds. Over at DC, Zatanna from the Justice League has the same basic problem.

Strange isn't really an Avengers team player anyway. In the comics, the main period where he was a member of the team was only that way because he had lost the cloak and Eye of Agamotto, and had his powers greatly reduced.

Usually, a major part of the problem is that he's much too powerful to actually work as a member of the team. And before someone says "Hulk and Thor and Captain Marvel are powerful too", they're powerful in different ways than Strange. They're physical brutes and can be easily thwarted/challenged by either giving them a tougher opponent or a problem they can't punch their way out of. Strange is different. He's powerful in a way that means he should logically be able to solve most conflicts the heroes face in about 10 seconds. Over at DC, Zatanna from the Justice League has the same basic problem.

The Russos may be forced to knock Mister Doctor the hell out ala Professor X.

^ MbJ is right Strange is on a different level than the rest. He's not suited for the types of physical conflicts the Avengers get it because he can just use magic to send the conflict away without incident.

Thanos with the Gauntlet though provides a level even beyond that of Strange, representing both the physical and mystical threat. I don't see them knocking him out so much as holding off his level of involvement until the threat becomes to great for the Avengers.

Keep in mind too that Strange will still be relatively new at what he's doing by the time IFW comes around. After the IFW though I see him going back into a state of indifference to the physical conflict, choosing instead to focus study on what he's learned about the universe as a result of his conflict with Thanos.

My main fear is that he'll be used as a Deus ex Machina, coming in only if and when the situation seems hopeless for the Avengers. That would be lazy storytelling, and would take the suspense out of any conflict going forward.

My main fear is that he'll be used as a Deus ex Machina, coming in only if and when the situation seems hopeless for the Avengers. That would be lazy storytelling, and would take the suspense out of any conflict going forward.

Agreed. I hope he have proper role and not just last minute save the day.

Apparently
The Eye Is A Stone

So thag is for a FACT how he'll fit in.

Dr. Strange's teleportation powers are going to be really useful for the Avengers.

I wonder how they'll react to him

I imagine Wanda and Vision will be intrigued, and the ones like Ant-Man, Thor, and Falcon will kind of "wtf" at him.

Dr. Strange's teleportation powers are going to be really useful for the Avengers.

I wonder how they'll react to him
"How does he DO that?!?" - Gargoyle

I doubt Strange will join the Avengers; as the leader of the classic Defenders, it makes more sense for him to be the one to contact the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Perhaps in the books, but the Sorcerer Supreme before Dr. Strange still used quite a bit of hand to hand combat in the Strange movie, and she had been practicing the arts for a long long time. There still is a functional street level fight to his world as well. Perhaps spells work to reshape reality but can't work like that on living things? I'm certain they will figure it out where it makes sense.

^^

That's actually a good point.

Also, MCU Strange isn't Sorcerer Supreme yet. I've seen arguments that he may only be about as powerful as Wong the way he is now. Unless he greatly advances in T:R - which is unlikely -, he may not be as overpowered in Infinity War in relation to everyone else as he is in the comics.

Maybe that will be set up for Avengers 4. He could become the Sorcerer Supreme there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"