Benedict Cumberbatch is Doctor Strange

Best thing about the movie for me, while he is enormously talented I wasn't convinced about him for this role, he blew my doubts away and was great in the role.

I've been a fan of Cumberbatch since the first season of Sherlock. I knew he was an immense talent and would absolutely kill it as Strange -which he did.

I suspect a lot of the film's success is owed to his spot-on performance and the performances of the other main cast (Swinton, MIkkelsen, Ejiofor).

If a less talented actor had played Strange, I suspect this film would have scored much less on RT.

Anyway, I'm going to make a big call here and say that BC embodied Strange, the same way RDJ did in his first appearance as Iron Man.

Truly perfect casting !

Well we have our Dr Strange, no doubts about it. He nailed it. Can't wait to see more of him in the MCU and may he hang around a long time.

Agreed on that front, Cumberbatch was perfect in the roleand held the movie together for me.

Benedict was indeed amazing in the role. Definitely up there in the top tier of best castings in superhero movies for me.

For those interested, Benedict will be on Jimmy Fallon/The Tonight Show tonight (November 3rd)

I'm on the fence as to whether BC was PERFECT as Strange. I am sure another viewing or seeing his role expanded in the next movies will solidify it as much as Evans has as Cap. BC was my first choice as Strange and I am still processing what I saw yesterday but if not perfect, just about near perfect lol. I have seen BC deliver stronger acting performances so I think that's why I am ambivalent about this being perfect because I know he can act the crap out of this role and the best is yet to come really.

Nonetheless

I would say it was one of the strongest performances in the MCU but in my mind the most perfect lead castings (MCU movies and TV) are as follows:

1. RDJ as Stark
2. Chris Pratt as Star Lord
3. Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle
4. Krysten Ritter as JJ
5. Chris Evans as Cap
6. BC as Strange
7. Vin Diesel as Groot
8. Gabriel Luna as Robbie Reyes

NOT in the MCU but really should be:

Ryan Reynolds IS Deadpool.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence as to whether BC was PERFECT as Strange. I am sure another viewing or seeing his role expanded in the next movies will solidify it as much as Evans has as Cap. BC was my first choice as Strange and I am still processing what I saw yesterday but if not perfect, just about near perfect lol. I have seen BC deliver stronger acting performances so I think that's why I am ambivalent about this being perfect because I know he can act the crap out of this role and the best is yet to come really.
Exactly how I felt after my first viewing. But I think he might compete for the no.1 spot (or at least no.2 behind RDJ Stark) by the time he hangs up his cape, assuming he appears in a good number of mega MCU events and 2 more solos.

I don't think anyone has really managed to match RDJ as far as characterization of a superhero, as Tony Stark had a persona, but it was never really set in stone like so many others. Comic writers have basically tailored the character to match Downey's portrayal which says something.

I don't think anyone has really managed to match RDJ as far as characterization of a superhero, as Tony Stark had a persona, but it was never really set in stone like so many others. Comic writers have basically tailored the character to match Downey's portrayal which says something.
Yep. He didn't just do justice to Stark (which is the level most other CBM actors are fighting to get to), he took it beyond the page.

^ he literally took it off the page because he would take the script crumple it up and just improvise in the first IM

I think Chris Pratt embodies the role of Star Lord though seems like such a natural fit and he seems to be just playing himself and not even trying to act...similar to RDJ and Heath Ledger as Joker I forgot to mention Wesley Snipes as Blade...the man IS and forever will be Blade. Just like Michael Keaton is and forever will be Batman until he becomes the Vulture lol

It's hard to rank Marvel's casting of these roles because they're all so good but Cumby has to be one of their best. Off the top of my head, I'd probably go:

1. RDJ/Iron Man (I'd argue some are equal but he's the guy who started it all)
2. Chris Evans/Cap
3. Benedict Cumberbatch/Strange
4. Jon Berenthal/Punisher
5. Charlie Cox/Daredevil
6. Vincent Do'Nofrio/Kingpin
7. Chadwick Boseman/Black Panther
8. Mike Colter/Luke Cage
9. Krysten Ritter/Jessica Jones
10. David Tennant/Purple Man

See, I'd probably throw Ruffalo in there only because he kind of embodies Banner's persona pretty well. Like current Banner from the books. He somewhat embraces Hulk but at the same time has disdain for him.

Cumberbatch was terrific in the role, and I can't wait to see him in future MCU pics. I just wish he had a better script to delve in his first outing.

I really liked Cumberbatch thought he brought enough wit and wisdom to the role. I'll admit, it did take me a while to get used to voice, but once he become Strange, I thought he was great in the role.

After seeing this, I am now a Cumberb**ch

Cumberbatch is always amazing IMO and Doctor Strange was no different. I can't wait to see him interact with the other heroes.

He was wonderful in the role. His voice was a little wonky at times but aside from that he was perfect. Can't wait to see more from him. He's definitely up there with RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth.

He actually reminded me of what Downey did with Stark. I'm sure some of that stuff was ad-libbed by Cumberbatch.

After seeing this, I am now a Cumberb**ch

Have some respect.

You are a Cumberlad.

Or a Cumberdoe.

Or a Cumberette.

Or a Cumberignie.

Or a Cumbertha.

Benedictdette?

Anyway. He was quite good.

Have some respect.

You are a Cumberlad.

Or a Cumberdoe.

Or a Cumberette.

Or a Cumberignie.

Or a Cumbertha.

Benedictdette?

Anyway. He was quite good.

Ah, yes...Cumberlad. Cumberb***h is what his fan girls go by.

His interaction with (insert marvel actor here) in the post credit scene was already great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"