Dracula | Blumhouse

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
New 'Dracula' Movie in the Works as Universal Remakes Its Monsterverse (Exclusive)

On the heels of The Invisible Man's No. 1 opening Feb. 28 and $98.3 million haul so far, Universal is taking steps to revive its fabled stable of classic monsters for the big screen. But the new batch of films will be stand-alone, moderately budgeted efforts rather than big swings within an interconnected movie universe.

The latest: a new Dracula feature that Karyn Kusama (Destroyer) will direct, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Jason Blum's Blumhouse, which helped kickstart the new monster line by making Invisible Man for only $7 million, is in the midst of setting up the vampire thriller and is producing. The project isn't housed at Universal yet, and technically, it could be made at another studio because Dracula is in the public domain. But that is highly unlikely given that Blumhouse has a first-look deal with the studio, and Universal isn't about to let one of its iconic monsters escape the fold.

Like Invisible Man, which offered a contemporary spin on the classic H.G. Wells novel, a new Dracula would take place in modern times, sources tell THR. Matt Manfredi and Phil Hay, who have collaborated with Kusama on a number of films including Destroyer and The Invitation, are writing the script. The Dracula development comes on the heels of another legacy monster project being set up, an untitled horror thriller to be produced by James Wan.

Eh, would be more interested if Whannell was involved, but will see where this goes.

Excellent. They got a great director. The Invitation was great. Dracula was always my least favorite of the monsters but I'm really curious to see how they execute it.

But furreal I do want the 'stache. Last Dracula to have one was what, Christopher Lee?

Nitpick alert: Oldman had a goatee so it doesn't count.

So will this be a period piece or modern ala Invisible Man.

Dracula 2000 + 20!

70eb289e4cc939791b53684acaf5ba96859426eb.gifv

I've seen people on other sites suggesting Fassbender for Dracula. I think that could be cool.

I'm very excited to see how they adapt this and find a Gothic aesthetic in the modern era. I'd bet that Nina (or her equivalent) will be the lead here.

I just don’t want them to “pretty up” Drac.

Haha, I just got done rewatching Bram Stoker’s Dracula and had a good laugh at Oldman’s performance. With Kusama I think this could go either way. Best if she commits to strong tone and ambience and lets an imaginatively rounded out cast handle the character work.

Mads Mikkelsen with a thick Vlad mustache or I riot.

Gh7Mmmy.jpg

If Driver could pull off a convincing Eastern European accent, he’d actually be a real good choice. He’s handsome, but in a very nonconventional way.

They definitely need an actor who’ll stand out and do something a little unconventional.

The three most famous Dracula’s are Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and Gary Oldman and they are all very different from one another. No bland Dracula please.

Also, they may just do an Invisible Man and have it from the victim’s POV and hardly ever see Dracula until the very end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"