Drak's Recommended Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakon

I got a rock.
Reaction score
Just some software that I highly recommend to anyone. If you're using a Mac, then this thread might not be for you, since I'm running XP.

Browsers
Firefox 2--At first, I was hesitant to switch to the new version, especially since 1.5 was working out so well for me. However, I ended up trying it, and customizing it, and now I have no idea why I waited. Almost all my addons were compatible, and the one problem that I had with it was fixed by a simple integer change.

System Tools
CCleaner--Short for CrapCleaner. Cleans up junk files and invalid Registry entries. A must-have

Daemon Tools--Image mounting software. Mounts any ISO or BIN file, and can act like ghost DVD drives.

Spybot--Spyware remover, as well as some light preventative measures.

WinRAR--Manage RAR and ZIP archives. Like Winzip, but with feeling and power.

AdAware--Scan your system for ad-supported software components and remove them.

Advanced System Optimizer--Very good multi-purpose tool, for anything from registry defragging to RAM optimizing. It's not freeware, but it's worth the purchase.

The Rest of the Crap
SmartFTP--Very simple and easy-to-use FTP program. Great for site management.

SnagIt--Screencap saver. I personally have it set up so that as soon as I take a screencap, it saves the file as a jpeg onto my desktop, but it has options like "Save Window" or more. Not freeware, but it comes with a trial, if I recall. Very useful if you find yourself taking a lot of screencaps, obviously.

Trillian--Multi-client IM tool. AIM, YIM, ICQ, MSN, IRC, Jabber, and more. Very good and reliable, however any AIM expressions [like custom smileys] are set to default when using this. I HIGHLY recommend using the "Performance Stats" and "Message Splitter" addons.

VLC--Video Viewer. I personally don't like using Winamp and Quicktime viewers and such separately, so this covers all my bases, and with up-to-date codecs.

Winamp--MP3 player. Cause nobody wants to sit quietly at their computer if they don't have to.

-------------------------------------------------

All of these can be found at www.download.com

Winamp--MP3 player. Cause nobody wants to sit quietly at their computer if they don't have to.

speak for yourself Drak :p

I thought that thread was deleted in the purge. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"