DTL Season 5-Week 12 (Set 3)

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This is one of four threads containing matches.
Due to the holiday, these threads will be in use for 9 days. Days 1-4 (Feb 15 - Feb 18) are strictly setup time for owners to plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help.

On Day 5 (Feb 19) I will post and tell everyone that voting may begin. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count. Look over the matchups and read the strategies, and take into consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match. (Note: The length of a writeup the discretion of the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, post the team names you think will prevail in each match. Remember to vote for all matches or your vote will not count! The teams with the highest vote total at the end of the 9th day (Feb 23) will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal votes will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: Oa

Heroes of the New Age
Darkseid (DU) 1 - Omega beam, Boom Tubes, Superhuman Strength,
Juggernaut (MU) - Unstoppable, Immune to telepathy,invulnerable, NOT A MUTANT!!!!!
Gorilla Grodd (DM) - Telepathy,Brute Ape Strength,High Intelligence
Zauriel (DR) - Super Sonic Scream,Flaming Sword,Flight,Heightened Strength,Endurance,Durability,Master Swordsman,Heavenly Armour,Healing Factor
Batman (DR) - Skilled Martial Artist,Has belt containing many gadgets,High Intelligence

VS.

In Jesus' Name
Thanos
Mimic
MountJoy
Shimmer
Forge

Chaos & Order
Shanzar (MU) - Sorcerer Supreme of the Strange Matter Universe.
Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner) (DU) - Wields a ring that creates hard light constructs limited only by imagination and willpower.
Jay Garrick (DM) - Super speed. Special abilities by tapping into the Speed Force.
Proctor (MR) - Super strength, durability, teleportation, energy blasts, Ebony Blade.
Deadline (DR) - Super durability, reflexes, intangibility, weapons expert.

VS.

B'wana Bet?
Baron Helmut Zemo (with Moonstones)(MU) - The gravimetric Moonstones grant Zemo his own version of Cosmic Awareness and powers, including the ability to open warps through time and space, in addition to his own natural skills and prodigious leadership ability.
Ares (DU) - The Olympian God of War, Conflict, and Death, and gains power from all three. Possesses vast superhuman strength and durability, magical armor, the Staff of Hades (which devours life), and various mystical and devine powers, including energy-projection and interdimensional teleportation.
Lightray (DM) - Faster than light, superhuman strength and durability, energy conversion, and light manipulation. Lightray is highly-intelligent and possesses a Mother Box.
Reed Richards (MR) - Elastic supergenius.
Freedom Beast (DR) - Telepathy, mild super-strength, and the ability to fuse any two organisms together into a chimera.

Prep-Time here...

Kyle cracks his knuckles happily. "Oh, it's on now! Home court advantage."

Proctor: "You know this place?"

GL: "Know this place? This is my home base. I know this planet like the back of my han-hey, where that come from," Kyle says at his glove. The group stares at him. "Kidding. Geez. Yeah, I know this place. This is where my ring's power comes from."

Shanzar: "Then you may finally be useful."

GL: "Haha. We're still waiting for you to be." Shanzar just ignores the comment.

Jay: "Kyle, am I right in thinking there's a lot of technology we could use here?"

GL: "Sure, there's tons of tech."

Proctor: "Then that could be a problem. Richard's is a master of improvising with technology. No doubt he is devising some overly clever devices to use against us."

GL: "Don't worry. I've got that covered."

Shanzar: "That's not reassuring."

GL: "Trust me."

Shanzar: "I only trust myself. I may be the only thing keeping us from defeat. None of you can stand up to Zemo."

GL: "Hey, Ares is no slouch. He's a freaking god!"

Shanzar: "God's can die too."

Jay: "That's a disturbing thought." He focuses on the constructs Kyle has created. "Ok, these other two don't look like push overs either."

Proctor: "We will have to be...adaptable in our methods."

Jay grins. "Ok, what do you have in mind?"

Before Proctor can speak, Deadline finally joins them. Angrily he confronts Kyle, poking him in the chest. "Ok, I was all over that cafeteria. Where the hell do you guys keep the alcohol?!"

Battle

Shanzar is the only one with a chance against Zemo. So that fight's a no brainer. So Shanzar tries to give himself the best advantage and forces Zemo into an ebony portal. Now the fight is in Shanzar's home territory, one very hostile against even powerful humans.

This leaves Ares for Kyle. It's going to be one hell of a fight But Kyle has home field advantage and the limitless power of the Central Power Battery to draw on.

Lightray is going to push Jay to his limit, but jay can vibrate his way through any attack. But he won't have to hold out long...

Proctor and Deadline are in battle with Reed and and Freedom Beast. But that's right where they want to be. While Proctor fails to do any damage to Reed, Deadline avoids attacks by phasing. Freedom Beast traps DL into a small room, but that's just where DL wanted to be. Just like Kyle told him, DL phases through Freedom Beast and activates the prisoner containment unit. Freedom Beast is effectively taken out of the fight.

At this point, Deadline switches places with Proctor, giving Proctor the chance to teleport and trust the Ebony Blade into Lightray (since Jay should be able to distract him). Now, I have little doubt Reed could come up with something to disable DL's phasing tech, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can take down DL. And even if he does, Jay or Proctor can finish the job.

Back with the ubers, Kyle, while still in the fight, is going to be overwelmed and just holding his own. But being joined by his other allies will help greatly. All the while, the Zemo/Shanzar fight has been essentially stalemated in the other dimension.

If the help Kyle gets isn't enough, he knows that he has to use their backup plan. Pulling together all his willpower, Kyle taps into the Central Battery. Really taps into it...and opens it. Grabbing Ares, he pulls him into the battery, sacrificing himself to ensure that his team is the only one left standing in the fight.

Chaos & Order move on.

I should get my battle up tonight.

Don't bother. Gog will put his up about five minutes before the end of combat, to make sure there's no meaningful debate on his questionable tactics. You got time.

weeklylineups5w12.jpg

Heroes of the New Age (Owner: Nightwing)

Juggernaut (MU) - Unstoppable, Immune to telepathy, Invulnerable, NOT A MUTANT!!!!!
Gorilla Grodd (DM) - Telepathy, Brute Ape Strength, High Intelligence
Zauriel (DR) - Super Sonic Scream, Flaming Sword, Flight, Heightened Strength, Endurance, Durability, Master Swordsman, Heavenly Armour, Healing Factor
Batman (DR) - Skilled Martial Artist, Has belt containing many gadgets, High Intelligence

VS.

In Jesus' Name (AnnoyingSilence?)

Thanos
Mimic
MountJoy
Shimmer
Forge

Location – Oa

Prep-time

HOTNA land on a strange planet. The surroundings are not unfamiliar to Batman however, as he has file details on all the JLA including their home worlds. That gives my team one advantage.

Another is (due to AS not providing a little detail) I get to find out everything about his team….

But if I’m honest, AS’s standard strategy when he battles will give me plenty of advantages.

The main thing I can think of though to help in my favour would be the prison, which can hold all kinds of unsavoury characters, and may help to hold Thanos but more to that in the battles.

Nightwing said:

Ok so here are your opponents. Kick their behinds…

Thanos
Mimic
MountJoy
Shimmer
Forge

I’ve done the necessary research of these characters for you due to their owner not playing by the rules. I will upload it to your minds (saves on the post-its and fax memos).

Have fun

Ok so everything is loaded into my teams minds that they need to know (in other words I’ve checked out Wiki and read their histories, abilities etc and my team is good to go.

To Be Continued…..

weeklylineups5w12.jpg

Heroes of the New Age (Owner: Nightwing)

Juggernaut (MU) - Unstoppable, Immune to telepathy, Invulnerable, NOT A MUTANT!!!!!
Gorilla Grodd (DM) - Telepathy, Brute Ape Strength, High Intelligence
Zauriel (DR) - Super Sonic Scream, Flaming Sword, Flight, Heightened Strength, Endurance, Durability, Master Swordsman, Heavenly Armour, Healing Factor
Batman (DR) - Skilled Martial Artist, Has belt containing many gadgets, High Intelligence

VS.

In Jesus' Name (AnnoyingSilence?)

Thanos
Mimic
MountJoy
Shimmer
Forge

Location – Oa

Battles

Ok firstly a few things on how this battle could take place.

AS has the strategy of using MountJoy to absorb one of his characters to steal/use their ability. Now this can go down in a number of ways.

He can absorb Mimic and have five power sets (but this will take out one character and leave him with 4)

Or he can leave Mimic alone and have Mimic go lone ranger with the power sets of Wolverine, Colossus, Cyclops, Beast and Northstar. Now my understanding is MountJoy amps the powers of who he absorbs which if this was Mimic would be beneficial as he would be a powerful adversary, however if he were to do this then a key character would be out of the fight and MountJoy would need any help he can get. Shimmer would be more of a suitable target as her powers are limited. Under the control of MountJoy they can range further and do more damage. (and still he will be down to 4)

Forge is a fairly useless character for this battle and any battle really. He’s a prep-time boy. Once he’s created a weapon then that’s it he’s out of the fight. Now being on Oa the most useful thing he could construct is a Green Lantern ring. This would give the wearer a great power to toy with on a home court advantage. However, if this were the case then a user would be needed and unfortunately, Thanos would be bumped tuber and I can’t see MountJoy or Mimic have much success using it. So anyway ill move onto the battles.

Gorilla Grodd and Zauriel vs. MountJoy (with Shimmer’s abilities)
Ok so MountJoy would prove more effective in this battle than Shimmer would’ve, he could manipulate the very floor Grodd walked on or the atmosphere that Zauriel flies in. The only thing is both Zauriel and Grodd could affect MJ’s mind from a safe distance without having to get their hands dirty.

Zauriel could use his Sonic Scream (not to its full potential though as killing isn’t his style) and break MJ’s concentration and balance. Whilst MJ is crippled under the pain, Grodd can assault his mind with TK. Taking him out quickly and allowing them to move on.

Batman vs. Forge

As I mentioned earlier, Forge is a prep-time boy and even if he created some ray gun or projectile firing weapon, it wouldn’t be much for Batman to dodge and take him out with his martial arts or a long range gas batarang. Forge is a fairly useless character to have in this battle.

Juggernaut vs. Mimic

Mimic knows of Juggernaut and unfortunately for Mimic he isn’t a mutant so copying his powers would be out of the question. The most Mimic can do here is try to slow Juggernauts rampage down with the use of his TK and Optic Blast, combined this may slow him to a steady jog as Cyclops beam in full power managed to only just slow him, also a low level Telekinetic isn’t going to prove much use. The next plan would be to use his beast like agility, healing factor and steel skin casing. But again none of these powers are going to prove useful. The agility might buy him a few extra minutes before Juggernaut slams his fist into Mimic’s torso and then smashes his head against a wall. Mimic will fall to the anti-hero before long.

Darkseid vs. Thanos

That will leave the two tyrants to face off. Both will stand and observe their teams battle it out, hands behind their backs, not a word will leave their lips.

Darkseid, although filled with hate for anyone not from Apokolips, will be some what proud his team has reigned triumphant over this lesser opponent.

Thanos as a chief strategist will be appalled by how his team performed.

They will look at one another, pure hatred burning through them, the driving force for these two monstrous rulers.

Thanos and Darkseid are similar when it comes to their power and abilities.

Thanos has energy projection, Darkseid has the Omega Blast
Thanos can teleport, Darkseid has the boom tubes

Thanos has a few little extras, such as his psionic abilities and molecular manipulation; however it’s never been proven if Darkseid can be affected through his mind. The molecular manipulation may prove a problem but Darkseid will use his heightened speed to prevent anything like that from happening.

Darkseid has many a time gone toe to toe with Superman and in most instances had the upper hand when it comes to strength. Thanos has taken on Surfer but he needed the infinity gauntlet to help him with his power boost.

Darkseid in a one on one could take this battle no problem. His has the speed edge and the strength to back it up.

Darkseid, Juggernaut, Batman, Grodd and Zauriel vs. Thanos

But just to make sure, the rest of the team will land. Juggernaut will be immune to any energy and molecular manipulation Thanos sends out, Darkseid will have the edge with his speed, Grodd can challenge Thanos’ mind, Zauriel can use his Sonic Scream and Batman will use his most powerful tool…his intelligence. Whilst the four others keep Thanos at bay, Batman is already orchestrating a plan. Taking a boom tube device from Darkseid’s midriff and setting its co-ordinates he will activate it. Giving the signal, Darkseid and Juggernaut will hurl Thanos inside and Batman will close it up.

Thanos will find himself trapped in an inescapable cell in the holding section of Oa

With all 5 still standing at the end of the battle HOTNA remain victorious.

Congratulations Wieg. I haven't yet read your strategy, but I'm sure it was at the very least fair and well thought-out. It certainly beats any contribution I made this week.

Heroes of the New Age
Chaos and Order

Voting is now over.
Final Results.

Heroes of the New Age 5
In Jesus' Name 0

Chaos & Order 5
B'wana Bet? 0

With playoffs just around the corner, I figured it's only fair that people - and Wiegeabo in particular - knew what my strategy would have been against another active team.

Broadly speaking, I was intending to rely on my heavy-hitters' energy powers to drain as much as they could out of the main Power Battery while still remaining legal. Admittedly, I don't know much about OA or the CPB, so such a ploy may well have been impossible, but both Ares and Zemo have been able to control energies on a truly cosmic scale in the past. In Ares' case, he entered The Source to control the Godwave, so Emerald Energy may well be argued to be outside his scope, but Zemo's Wellspring of Power was probably much closer to it in nature (and indeed was a mixture of both mystical and scientific forces), though possibly not as difficult to harness. Lightray (and Reed) might also have helped here.

Being on an uninhabited planet, I naturally planned on maximizing destruction to further boost Ares.

Lightray would have prepared his photon nets to spot Jay as early as possible. I was somewhat worried about the possibility of a speed drain, although I actually didn't realize that Jay could phase.

I don't think I made any special plans for the regs, since I don't know them and didn't have time to read-up. They sounded fairly dangerous, so I would have used the size of the battle-field, Zemo's phasing and teleportation, and a telepathic link to get the drop on them.

And that's pretty much it anyway, so I'll just go to sleep now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"