DTL Season 5-Week 7 (Set 2)

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This is one of four threads containing matches.
Due to the holiday, these threads will be in use for 20 days. Days 1-12 (Dec 15-Dec 26) are strictly setup time for owners to plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help from you, the fan.

On Day 13 (Dec 27) I will post and tell everyone that voting may begin. Only after doing so will voting start. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count.

Look over the matchups and read the owners strategies and take into consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match up. (Note: The length of a writeup is up to the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, post the team names you think will prevail in each match. Remember, to vote for each match up or your vote will not count! The teams with the highest vote total at the end of the 20th day (Jan 3) will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal votes will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: The X-Mansion

Last Chancers*
Hulk (MU)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) (DU)
Wolverine (MR)
Wild Child (MR)
Husk (MR)

VS.

Who?
Starhawk (original) (MU) -- Super strength, super speed, energy blasts, manipulates energy, can create light constructs, and a form of cosmic awareness.
Over-Mind (MU) - Vast telepathy, super strength, energy manipulation, and incredible durability.
Doom 2099 (MM) - Superhuman stats(durability, strength, stamina, etc.), technopathy, energy blasts, force fields, invisibility, phasing, and flight.
Ganymede (MR) -- Enhanced stats, flight belt, and a staff that can release energy.
Magik 2 (MR) -- Teleportation, spellcaster, and wields the Soulsword.

Owner - Mistress Gluon*
Silver Surfer (eXiles) (MU)
Hyperion (eXiles) (MU)
Wabird (eXiles) (MM)
Deathstroke (DR)
Bullseye (MR)

VS.

The Nameless Wonders*
Fernus (DU)
Flash (Titans of Tomorrow) (DU)
Blue Beetle (Jamie Reyes) (DM)
Traci Thirteen (DR)
Zauriel (DR)

gulag orkestar transatlantique prenzlauerberg

Who? vs. Last Chancers: Who?'s lineup is gonna overpower the crap outta the Chancers.
Nameless Wonders vs. Mistress Gluon: Maybe I just know the characters better, but I have to give this one to the Wonders on lineup strength as well.

Who? vs. Last Chancers
Nameless Wonders vs. Mistress Gluon - the all DC line up would give them a huge disadvantage imo

Starhawk can at least keep Hal Jordan occupied while Overmind floors Hulk with a psi-blast. I've seen Moondragon psi-blast him into unconciousness fairly easily, so I'd think Overmind could do it. After that, Overmind helps Starhawk against Hal. I believe telepathy has been used effectively against Hal Jordan before, in which case he'd have big problems with Overmind. Meanwhile, the last chancers don't even have a medium and their regs would get crushed by Doom 2099. Who? wins.

As for the other battle -- Hyperion is basically a Marvel Superman, and in Superman vs. Flash I give Superman the edge. That said, Flash would be damn hard to hit and could pull out some tricks that might floor him (e.g., infinite mass punch), but still, Superman could always use his flight to stay out of range. (I'm assuming a battle with characters of this level would stray somewhat onto the Xavier grounds rather than just the mansion interior.) Silver Surfer likewise could stay airborne and rain down energy blasts on his foes. He'd also be able to resist Fernus's telepathy. (He's resisted Moondragon with the Mind Gem in the same mini-series where she psi-blasted Xavier into unconsciousness -- so she was clearly above Xavier and thus presumably above Fernus in raw telepathic power.) That puts Fernus at a big disadvantage, and eventually I think he'd fall to Surfer's superior energy projection. (Fernus could try to telepathically turn Hyperion against Surfer -- but good luck focussing on that when Surfer is frying you with cosmic energy.) After that, I think Surfer and Hyperion together find a way to beat Flash. For instance, I bet Surfer could use his power to reverse gravity or something, which would disrupt Flash's ability to run and make him a much easier target. (I'm not sure if Surfer's ever reversed gravity, but he probably has some kind of trick like that. He can muck with time and space and energy in all sorts of ways.) And even though I think the Nameless Wonders' regs might have the edge on Mistress Gluon's, none of them are beating Surfer either. So my vote goes to Mistress Gluon.

Wait, wait, you always refer to that time Flash and Zoom moved so fast Superman appeared to be standing still. Combine THAT level of superior speed with an infinite mass punch and Hyperion is SO out of the ballgame.

That was after Flash borrowed speed from other speedsters to match Zoom. Which is part of why I consider Zoom superior despite a lack of speedforce tricks -- he moves that fast to start with.

My impression is that Flash at his natural speed is still faster than Superman, but not so much that Superman would have no chance of landing an attack. And even a glancing attack from Superman/Hyperion could be fairly deadly to Flash.

Anyway, the deciding factor in this battle for me wasn't Hyperion so much as Silver Surfer. He's telepathy resistant and extremely durable, so Fernus can't do much against him. And he can fly and rain down energy blasts from outside Flash's reach (since Flash of course can't fly) -- so I don't really see the Nameless Wonders having much of an answer for him.

Who?
Mistress Gluon

Who?'s lineup is far more robust.

I think the Wonders regs and mid could beat Gluon's. But her ubers should be able to win their fights. And I don't think the Wonder's lower characters can beat the Surfer and/or Hyperion.

Voting is now over.
Final Results

Last Chancers 0
Who? 6

Mistress Gluon 5
The Nameless Wonders 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"