DTL Season 5-Week 7 (Set 3)

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This is one of four threads containing matches.
Due to the holiday, these threads will be in use for 20 days. Days 1-12 (Dec 15-Dec 26) are strictly setup time for owners to plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help from you, the fan.

On Day 13 (Dec 27) I will post and tell everyone that voting may begin. Only after doing so will voting start. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count.

Look over the matchups and read the owners strategies and take into consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match up. (Note: The length of a writeup is up to the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, post the team names you think will prevail in each match. Remember, to vote for each match up or your vote will not count! The teams with the highest vote total at the end of the 20th day (Jan 3) will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal votes will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: The X-Mansion

The Authorititans
Ion (Torchbearer) (DU)
Superman-Prime (DU)
Aztek (DM)
Anarky (DR)
Midnighter (Post-Worldstorm) (DR)

VS.

Chaos & Order
Shanzar (MU)
Kyle Rayner (DU)
Vision (MM)
Proctor (MR)
Deadline (DR)

B'wana Bet?*
Baron Helmut Zemo (with Moonstones)(MU)- The Moonstones grant Zemo his own version of Cosmic Awareness and powers, including the ability to open warps through time and space, in addition to his own natural skills and prodigious leadership ability.
Ares (DU) (Bio link seems fairly suspect) - The Olympian god of battle, conflict, and death, Ares grows in stature by the presence of all three. A top schemer, he possess superhuman stats, and is capable of producing various mystical and divine effects, including interdimensional teleportation, and naturally afflicting god-wounds, which prove difficult to heal. He now holds the Staff of Hades. A common piece of lore states no mortal weapon may harm him.
Lightray (DM) - Powers: Faster than light, superhuman strength and durability, energy conversion, and light manipulation. Lightray is highly-intelligent and possesses a Mother Box.
Reed Richards (MR) - Elastic supergenius. Again, perhaps the only point in need of highlighting here is his little used ability to alter his own mind through his powers.
Black Swan (MR) - High-class assassin with the ability to down and upload mental information much like a computer, and other latent psychic abilities.

VS.

X*
Thor (Power Gem) (MU)
Josef Huber (MU)
The Super Skrull (MM)
Batman (One Million) (MR)
Coronary (MR)

Prep-Time

"Does anyone recognize those three guys?"

The group just looks at each other, not willing to answer Kyle's question because they already know the answer. Except for Shanzar. "Obviously we don't."

DL: "How about we focus on the obvious one for a second. I'd really like to know why we're fighting you."

GL: "Um...I don't know."

DL: "Yeah right."

GL: "Listen, I was called Ion once. And if this version of me has the same powers, we're pretty much screwed. But I don't think it is because I don't know what the hell Torchbearer means."

Proctor: "So this is supposed to be a future version of yourself?"

Kyle scratches his head. "I guess so. But that's good, right. Because I'll know everything he's going to do."

DL: "Except he'll know the same thing, plus stuff you haven't even done yet."

GL: "...oh yeah..."

Vision: "I have finished interfacing with Cerebro." Vision's announcement defuses the situation in the room, for now.

Proctor: "And?"

Vision: "The interface was...difficult. To say the least. But I was not able to find any information about our opponents."

Proctor: "None?"

Vision: "Either they are not within Professor Xavier's vast database. Or they are not from this universe."

DL: "Well, Supes is."

GL: "But what does the 'Prime' mean?"

DL: "I don't follow."

GL: "Torchbearer must mean something in regards to my future self. So what does Superman-Prime mean?"

DL: "He's Superman. He can't be Superman if he's really that different."

Proctor: "I doubt that."

DL: "What? You have a problem with me?"

Proctor: "...Yes, actually. But that's beside the point. We are provided specific information for a reason. The 'Prime' must be significant."

DL: "Not to me."

Proctor: "That isn't saying much."

DL: "Heh. I like you." Deadline's rifle makes a noise as he presses a button. "I'd also like to kill you."

Proctor: "And yet...I'm not afraid."

GL: "Enough of this. We have far more important things to worry about."

Shanzar: "No, let them kill each other. It would help with this boredom. Besides," Shanzar cracks his knuckles, "I can kill the winner."

Proctor: "Are you both foolish, or just idiots? We are a team and-"

Shanzar: "The Lantern and myself have power. Vision as well. You two, are expendable."

Proctor grabs the hilt of his Blade. "You really think so?"

GL: "ENOUGH!!!" He stands between the three 'teammates'. "We fight each other here and we die out there!"

Shanzar crosses his arms in thought. He decides to change the subject, for now. "The lack of information hurts them too."

Deadline jumps on that train of thought. "Because they won't know anything about us."

Vision: "Unless they have a computer expert as well."

GL: "Will the computers have information on all of us?"

Proctor: "Most likely just on Vision."

DL: "So both sides will be in the dark."

GL: "Sounds like it."

Vision: "A very dangerous situation. I see a number of possible outcomes, many not favorable."

Shanzar: "It's only the favorable one we need to worry about."

GL: "I think our best chance will be to stay together. Force them to come to us."

Proctor: "I agree. It reduces the chance of matching up in an unfavorable battle."

DL: "Guess we can't just kill them quick?"

Vision: "There should be no reason to kill."

Shanzar: "There's always a reason to kill. Especially inferior beings."

"Don't even try it" Kyle says, making a mental note to keep a close eye on Shanzar.

Battle-Time here...

In the air...
Kyle takes to the air above the Mansion, ready to meet himself safely away from the others while Shanzar takes care of this Superman-Prime. Assuming he's as vulnerable to magic as the real Superman is. But Kyle is surprised to find a fight already going on. A fight between Superman Prime and his own teammate, Ion.

Even though Ion had thought he had calmed down SMP enough during prep-time to trust him for the fight, the though of working with a Lantern is more than his fragile ego can take. Ion takes a few hits, but is able to divert SMP's attention to a new threat. A true, ring slinging Lantern. His past self. And SMP is more than happy to take the fight to Kyle. Of course, this leaves a somewhat bruised Ion alone against Shanzar as he flies out of an ebony portal, wielding magical attacks.

In the Mansion...
Proctor stands alone in the main room of the mansion, waiting for his enemies, drawing them out. Of course, Midnighter's already figured out just what Chaos & Order are planning, so he's going to give them exactly what they want since they have their own plan in place. Faster than Proctor can see, Aztek phases through a wall at superspeed, ready to collide with Proctor and take him out of the area. But, with systems able to track super speed individuals, Vision phases up through the floor. He times it perfectly, ramming into Aztek just before he hits Proctor. Both intangible, they fight each other as momentum takes them up through the ceiling.

Not surprised in the least, Midnighter goes after Proctor. The fight is starts straightforward. Proctor can't land a hand or blade on Midnighter. Midnighter's even able to avoid the energy blasts and is barely effected by Proctor's mental manipulation. So Proctor begins teleporting around Midnighter to gain an advantage, but Midnighter seems to no where Proctor is most likely to show up. So he's either able to dodge or attack Proctor. Knowing he can't wait any longer, Deadline joins the fight against Midnighter. And still they have problems hurting him.

In a secure area of the mansion, Anarky activates the X-Mansion defenses...

Back outside...
The basketball court is destroyed as Superman-Prime plows Kyle through it. They hit the blackbird hidden below and the whole hanger explodes in flames. A green blast sends Supes flying. Kyle shoots into the air, grabbing Supes by the leg with a claw, and slams him into the ground to return the favor.

High in the air, Ion tries everything he can think off against Shanzar. But with little effect. Shanzar is highly resistant to non-strange magics. And that includes the magic of the Starheart. Ion's attacks, since they still have Lantern power to them, do hurt Shanzar, they're just not nearly effective enough. And Shanzar's attacks seem to be getting through most of Ion's defenses. At one point, Ion is able to trap Shanzar in a bubble. But Shanzar just calls forth a group of demons to distract Ion, escapes the trap, and let's Ion have everything he has. Ion eventually falls.

In the distance, Superman Prime picks up Kyle's broken body by the front of his tattered uniform. Supes raises his fist to deliver the killing blow, his hatred of all Lanterns boiling in his eyes. But a blast of Shanzar's magical energy to his chest sends him flying. Kyle's unconscious body drops to the ground as Shanzar and Superman Prime slam into each other...

Back inside...
The defense systems activate, and turn on Anarky. Just as Vision programmed them to do. While Anarky is busy fighting these systems, the members of Chaos & Order still have their hands full. Vision and Aztek have taken their fight throughout the Mansion. Many of their powers cancel each other out, and the various rooms and corridors are paying the price of their stalemate. Vision phases into another large room, blasting a modified blast phased to strike Aztek. It does, but he's able to shrug it off. But Vision has finally led Aztek where he wanted. Activating a signal, the Danger Room comes alive just as Vision escapes through another wall. Aztek tries to follow, but is met with an electrical charge as he tries to pass through. The defenses designed for Kitty Pryde trap Aztek and force him into battle.

With Vision free, he rejoins the others. Proctor has fallen and now Midnighter is using the Ebony Blade to try and slice through the phased Deadline. It's another stalemate as Deadline uses walls to avoid Midnighter, but can't seem to actually hit Midnighter. Vision's arrival helps, and soon Midnighter finds himself on the defensive.

The final battles...
Superman rips through another group of demons. Shanzar puts his arms and legs in mystic chains and clamps, pulsing his body with energy. But Superman brings his arms together, smashing the clamps and pulling Shanzar in. But Shanzar just takes the opportunity to possess Superman Prime. And he's summarily ejected by the chaos and insanity he finds there.

"Enough of this!" Shanzar yells in anger. SMP's eyes blaze with heat and he grins with madness as he flies at Shanzar with all his speed. Shanzar opens a portal in front of Supes who, with shock in his face, flies right into it. The portal closes and Shanzar is very pleased with himself.

Now it's only Aztek and Midnighter against Vision, Deadline, and Shanzar. If Aztek frees himself from the Danger Room, he and Midnighter may still be able to win this fight. But not against Shanzar. The two fall and Chaos & Order continue on their way.

Battle is written up, I'm just still too busy to post it.

My luggage was lost BOTH WAYS on my trip. I HATE US FROCKING AIRWAYS.

OK, I posted prep and battle, before noticing that you appear to have changed my lineup back to R-Man, rather than Ion? Is that correct?

You're right. It should be Rayner vs. Rayner. I blame it on me being sick because I'm blaming everything on me being sick. Luckily it doesn't change my prep-time much (mostly just have to substitute GL for where it says Adam). I'll have to rethink my battle a bit.

Prep Time

“Superman?”

Superman-Prime whirls, fist cocked, ready to eviscerate yet another stupid loser who won't believe he's—he doesn't recognize any of them. One of them is dressed in gold and white. Another all in black. A third in red. The fourth one...the fourth one is Kyle Rayner.

They're obviously superheroes. Vaguely, Prime recalls three of them from his years spent watching New Earth before he and his fellow exiles broke free. That one there, he's Aztek, the “Ultimate Man.” This Kyle Rayner took over for the real Green Lantern not too long ago, but now he's something else. He was in space during the Crisis. He doesn't know Superman-Prime by sight yet. The one in red...Anarky. At the very least, he thinks he's a hero. Prime doesn't recognize the fourth, but he doesn't seem to pose any threat.

What hits him the hardest is that he's just been asked if he's Superman. They aren't...they aren't trying to stop him. They aren't attacking him. They aren't making him kill. They believe in him.

He has to catch himself blocking the tears in his eyes. He can't let them suspect that he's not who they think he is.

“Yes. Yes, it's me, son.” The words sound forced, ridiculous. But they all seem to accept it. All but the Batman knockoff.

“I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't recognize anyone?” says Midnighter. “Mind filling me in?”

Gradually, the four DC heroes and the WildStorm hero come to a working relationship, and a good understanding of each other's powers. They're unfamiliar with their battleground, as well as with most of the opponents they've been told they'll be fighting, but that can quickly be remedied. It's a cinch for Anarky to hack into the computer systems of the X-Mansion, and within a couple of hours, the team is up to speed on where they are, and who they're fighting. Deadline, of course, is from the same universe as four of the Authorititans, and has enough of a reputation there to be well-known.

The team spends the next couple of hours briefing each other further on their own powers, since they really don't know each other that well. A strategy quickly forms in young Anarky's mind.

“This should actually be pretty easy, compared to some fights we've had. Our lineup is perfectly suited to deal with theirs. Ion, I need you to deal with your doppelganger.”

“No. I...I can't do that. It could negatively affect my own timeline. We're the same person, Anarky! I could wind up dead, or history could be vastly altered! I can't take that risk.”

“Kyle, you don't have to kill him—you—yourself—him—it. Whatever. You don't even have to hurt...Green Lantern. All you have to do is neutralize him.

“Superman, you claim you're immune to magic now. I'd still like to know when and why that change occurred, but that can wait for later. For now, the point is that you can easily take this Shanzar down hard. You're Superman, you're protected from his attacks, and you've got that suit of power-armor to boot.

“Aztek, as usual, I know I can count on you to get the job done. Vision looks to be a sort of Superman-lite, minus the superspeed. He doesn't have anything like your energy powers, or your speed. But I do need him occupied or off the table fast—he could interfere with my computer control, and I want this computer on my side. I need him removed from the mansion and preoccupied from the word go.

“Midnighter, you've performed absolutely top-notch in the last couple of matches. Done everything we've needed. This match, it looks like you get a bit of a breather—just some arrogant prick with a sword. Calls himself Proctor. With your speed and other physical enhancements, as well as the obvious mental ones, you should be able to nail him.

“I got the last guy, Deadline. I'll hit him with some localized EMP to take out his tech, then I'll just engage him in hand-to-hand combat. If he's as middling as his reputation suggests, I'll have no troubles, but if I do, Midnighter will be finished with his fight in more than enough time to finish Deadline off for me.

“This group we're facing looks pretty disparate. I can't imagine them all working together, but they will probably start from a single point. We'll be watching on this console here to see where they are, and then, as always, our superfast guys will take the fight to them immediately and leave the legwork to the small fish like us.

“But we need to get to work setting up the usuals. I'll rig up some high-level psi-protectors and communications tech. I've already got the computer systems in the process of slaving to my onboard computer. I'll be spending a few hours getting the lay of the land, and scavenging tech. I suggest you all get familiarized with the surroundings.”

Meanwhile, Chaos & Order prepare their strategies as well. Because of Vision's ability to interface with technology, the team decides to keep the battle in the Danger Room. They know virtually nothing of their opponents, but they plan to let the Authorititans bring the fight, where they'll find the nasty surprise of the Danger Room waiting. Their version of Kyle has also steadfastly refused to hurt his doppelganger (but also isn't even sure he CAN.)

The seconds tick away from the clock. It's soon to be battle time. The Authorititans watch the computer intently. And when the battle begins, and the red blips pop up, Anarky smiles under his mask. “The Danger Room,” he nods, but Superman, Ion, and Aztek are already there...

Battle Time

Superman-Prime vs. Shanzar
The battle goes all too much the way Anarky predicted. Highly resistant to magical attacks, Superman-Prime barrels into Shanzar almost too quickly for the disgraced Sorceror Supreme to even put up defensive forcefields, ripping him out of the Danger Room, and out of the mansion entirely. The shields do little but keep the impact from killing the mage. He's disoriented and greivously wounded as Prime hurls him to the ground and sears him with heat vision. Punch after devastating punch rips through Shanzar's attempts to defend himself magically, while his hastily thrown-together efforts at attack are simply shrugged off. “A magical opponent? I'm the greatest Superman there ever was, and magic doesn't hurt me, you creepy crazie. Whoever put you on this match's lineup was pretty stupid. Almost like they didn't want you to win.”

And with that, a punch shatters Shanzar's consciousness, and he knows nothing more.

Kyle Rayner vs. Kyle Rayner
Knowing each other's hearts in a way reminiscent of the bond between twin siblings, the two Kyle Rayners find each other hovering above the Xavier Mansion, each waiting for the other.

“I don't think fighting is a wise idea. The damage to the timeline...it's unwise to risk it.”

“I agree,” says Ion. “There's got to be a way of getting out of this situation without risking anyone's life or limb. We should try to find that escape route. So let's just shake hands and call it good.”

The two Kyle Rayners firmly grasp each other's hands. Suddenly, Green Lantern's forcefield disappears, as does his uniform, and he's left dangling in the air, in streetclothes, from Ion's arm.

“Sorry, pal, but I couldn't take the chance. There's no way out of this situation, and I needed to know you were out of harm's way, but also not behind my back. You're neutralized. NOW we can wait it out. In a nice little energy bubble.”

Ion had used his superior abilities and willpower to hijack control of “his” old GL ring from his doppelganger. Without his ring, Kyle Rayner was just a man, at the mercy of...himself.

Aztek vs. Vision
Yet another one-sided fight. Vision's speed is simply no match for Aztek's. Aztek powers the two of them out of the Danger Room and out of the mansion relatively quickly. There, Aztek does brutal, superspeed battle with his slower, less-powered opponent. It is a valiantly fought effort from Vision, but in the end, Aztek is simply too fast for him. He batters him with phsyical attacks and fourth-dimensional energy blasts and constructs, until Vision is inert, motionless, and secured in a plasma-beam net.

Midnighter vs. Proctor
When Midnighter and Anarky enter the Danger Room, Proctor and Deadline stand in the center of it, dazed. Vision was supposed to be controlling it, using it as a weapon against the intruders. Instead, in a matter of a few seconds, Vision and Shanzar were both forcibly removed from the area, and their other heavy hitter, Green Lantern, is nowhere to be seen. The sight of enemies they can deal with is a welcome one, and they greet it cheerfully.

Anarky activates his control of the Danger Room, and a hard-light projection of a massive boulder appears from nowhere, slamming Deadline to one side, allowing Anarky to take him alone. Midnighter leaps to Proctor. He doesn't even bother mentioning the fact that he knows how the battle will end. He just leaps into the air, out of reach of either Proctor or his weapon, completes the flip, and plants his foot firmly into the middle of Proctor's brains before even hitting the floor. Headless, the erstwhile Black Knight crumples to the floor.

Anarky vs. Deadline
Before Deadline can even get up, Anarky sends him flying with a kick. He can't even get his bearings before a localized EMP dart renders all his systems inert. He doesn't have time to contemplate his newfound defenselessness, as numerous blades and heavy objects come flying at him from all directions, generated by the Danger Room.

“How the hell are you doing this?” bellows Deadline, dodging, ducking, diving, dipping, and dodging.

“My name's Anarky,” Lonnie calls back. “Wouldn't you expect a little chaos?”

It's the last thing Deadline hears. Midnighter wades into the flurry of flying hard-light construct weaponry and viciously punches Deadline into oblivion.

The fight is over. The Authorititans take it, 5-0, without really even breaking a sweat.

Got mine up. I'll try to get to reading tonight.

A small defense about my fight between the ubers:
I really don't see Supes getting along with someone he recognizes as a Lantern. Not after they helped stop him from destroying Oa, and imprisoned him in the red sun eater. Even after 24 hours of prep-time they'd be hard pressed to get on his good side. Ion would be lucky not to have SMP kill him, and the others would be lucky not to be killed when trying to help Ion.

But, even if SMP isn't fighting Ion like I said, there's no way he's going to pass up the chance to fight a 'real' Green Lantern. Especially one he recognizes as a 'hero' who hasn't done anything to stop the corruption of his universe. So the fight is going to be Kyle/SMP and Ion/Shanzar.

Now about Aris' writeup:
My team's not going to decide to contain the fight in the Danger Room. There's no reason for three of them to do it because they wouldn't care what damage happens to the mansion or grounds. And they wouldn't confine themselves there, especially since they could be trapped

At the very least, if they did decide to do this, Vision would go to the Danger Room control room and take over the systems, turning the Room against the Authorititans. Shanzar will refuse to agree to fight there because he doesn't really care what the others want to do. Proctor won't because of the tactical disadvantage. For Vision it becomes a computer battle between him and Anarky to see who could control the Mansion systems. And since Vision can directly interface with the systems and react/program at the speed of computer thought, he should win this battle. Meaning that, if the fight was in the Danger Room, the advantage would be for Chaos & Order.

Shanzar is incredibly durable. Even if Supes-Prime was hurting him and shrugging off the magic, Shanzar could just send him away. And Supes would have no way back.

Kyle's going to pretty much know what his future self is going to do, or is capable of. Even if he didn't see the trick coming, he just wouldn't decide to give up the match, even if 'he' also agreed to gave up the match. They would definitely fight.

I really don't see Supes getting along with someone he recognizes as a Lantern. Not after they helped stop him from destroying Oa, and imprisoned him in the red sun eater. Even after 24 hours of prep-time they'd be hard pressed to get on his good side. Ion would be lucky not to have SMP kill him, and the others would be lucky not to be killed when trying to help Ion.
First of all, Kyle wouldn't have been in that fight at the end of Infinite Crisis, which helps a little. Second, and more importantly, look to my prep time, where that kind of thinking drops away when SMP realizes that they all believe he's Superman. That's all he's ever wanted! That's always been his real goal, his real ambition. Not destroying universes, or destroying OA. His real goal is to be Superman, and they're going to give him that chance.

wiegeabo said:
But, even if SMP isn't fighting Ion like I said, there's no way he's going to pass up the chance to fight a 'real' Green Lantern. Especially one he recognizes as a 'hero' who hasn't done anything to stop the corruption of his universe. So the fight is going to be Kyle/SMP and Ion/Shanzar.
That whole corrupted universe kick was never really SMP's, so much as it was Alex's. SBP played along, but he really just went a little crazy in that paradise dimension, and just wanted to be Superman. Furthermore, all of that old thinking is going to drop away, as I said before, at the point when he's being offered a chance at his ultimate goal: being the "real" Superman.

wiegeabo said:
My team's not going to decide to contain the fight in the Danger Room. There's no reason for three of them to do it because they wouldn't care what damage happens to the mansion or grounds. And they wouldn't confine themselves there, especially since they could be trapped
That's not actually very important to my strategy. The only fight that even uses it is the Anarky fight, and he could take Deadline out just fine without it. Remember, he knocks out DL's tech with a local EMP dart, so from there it's a cakewalk, really, as DL heavily relies upon tech. I just wanted to actually play with the battleground a little bit, but it really isn't necessary.

wiegeabo said:
At the very least, if they did decide to do this, Vision would go to the Danger Room control room and take over the systems, turning the Room against the Authorititans.
Of course he would, which is where Aztek would find him and take him out.

wiegeabo said:
Shanzar will refuse to agree to fight there because he doesn't really care what the others want to do. Proctor won't because of the tactical disadvantage.
While I'm not sure that either of those things is really very fair to either character, again, I'm willing to concede. The actual area of the mansion used is basically of no consequence.

wiegeabo said:
For Vision it becomes a computer battle between him and Anarky to see who could control the Mansion systems. And since Vision can directly interface with the systems and react/program at the speed of computer thought, he should win this battle. Meaning that, if the fight was in the Danger Room, the advantage would be for Chaos & Order.
Quite so, which is why Anarky has Aztek remove Vision posthaste.

weigeabo said:
Shanzar is incredibly durable. Even if Supes-Prime was hurting him and shrugging off the magic, Shanzar could just send him away. And Supes would have no way back.
We're talking about Superman. One of the fastest, strongest, most dangerous beings in the universe. And this is a Superman against which any magical attack is useless. Shanzar would undoubtedly TRY some kind of magic attack against him at first, as Deadline would have told him that Superman's weak against it. Meanwhile, SMP is slamming into him, taking him out of the mansion, and beating hell out of him. Shanzar doesn't have TIME to think of sending him away. He just gets walloped. I think you know that, which is why you don't want him fighting SMP.

wiegeabo said:
Kyle's going to pretty much know what his future self is going to do, or is capable of.
If that was true, the Teen Titans would have beaten the Titans Tomorrow in a jiffy.

wiegeabo said:
Even if he didn't see the trick coming, he just wouldn't decide to give up the match, even if 'he' also agreed to gave up the match. They would definitely fight.
Well he wouldn't be able to do much about it. Ion would have his ring, plus the Ion power, against a guy in street clothes. How is that a fight?

Or, if you mean that he wouldn't give up the fight in the first place, and shake on it...yes, I think they both would do that. Remember, for all they know, they could die for real here. If one or the other of them accidentally does too much and kills the other one, which is thoroughly possible in a strange universe like this, they could really screw up the Kyle Rayner timeline, for all they know. It's best for them to just wait it out. However, to make sure of that, Ion goes ahead and declaws his doppelganger.

In the air...
I've already explained why this isn't the way the fight goes.

weigeabo said:
In the Mansion...
Proctor stands alone in the main room of the mansion, waiting for his enemies, drawing them out.
I thought your team was sticking together?

wiegeabo said:
Faster than Proctor can see, Aztek phases through a wall at superspeed, ready to collide with Proctor and take him out of the area. But, with systems able to track super speed individuals, Vision phases up through the floor. He times it perfectly, ramming into Aztek just before he hits Proctor. Both intangible, they fight each other as momentum takes them up through the ceiling.
Why is Aztek going after Proctor when he could take out Vision? Furthermore, those systems may be able to track the superquick, but DC's superspeed is way more powerful than Marvel's superspeed. And with Anarky fighting Vision for control, he's not going to be at 100% capacities, giving Aztek even more of an advantage against him. Then, of course, once Aztek takes him out, Anarky can easily take over the systems.

weigeabo said:
Not surprised in the least, Midnighter goes after Proctor. The fight is starts straightforward. Proctor can't land a hand or blade on Midnighter.
As I see it, that right there is where the fight ends. Midnighter only needs to slip under Proctor's defenses once to kick his head off.

wiegeabo said:
In a secure area of the mansion, Anarky activates the X-Mansion defenses...
Not how Anarky plays. He fights in the field.

wiegeabo said:
But a blast of Shanzar's magical energy to his chest sends him flying. Kyle's unconscious body drops to the ground as Shanzar and Superman Prime slam into each other...
OK, just pretending that the matchups would go that way...why does Shanzar's magic hurt Superman-Prime so much?

wiegeabo said:
Vision and Aztek have taken their fight throughout the Mansion. Many of their powers cancel each other out, and the various rooms and corridors are paying the price of their stalemate. Vision phases into another large room, blasting a modified blast phased to strike Aztek. It does, but he's able to shrug it off. But Vision has finally led Aztek where he wanted. Activating a signal, the Danger Room comes alive just as Vision escapes through another wall. Aztek tries to follow, but is met with an electrical charge as he tries to pass through. The defenses designed for Kitty Pryde trap Aztek and force him into battle.
Aztek's not going to fall into that trap. Anarky will have warned him to stay away from it, and he will. Furthermore, Vision doesn't control this fight. He's the less powerful here. While SOME of their powers cancel each other out, Aztek has more powers than Vision does, some of which Vision won't have even encountered before. Aztek controls this fight, not Vision.

wiegeabo said:
Proctor has fallen and now Midnighter is using the Ebony Blade to try and slice through the phased Deadline. It's another stalemate as Deadline uses walls to avoid Midnighter, but can't seem to actually hit Midnighter. Vision's arrival helps, and soon Midnighter finds himself on the defensive.
As per my writeup, Anarky and Midnighter would take out Deadline and Proctor pretty quickly.

what are the *'s for against B'wana bet? and X?

It also indicates that they've basically quit.

First of all, Kyle wouldn't have been in that fight at the end of Infinite Crisis, which helps a little. Second, and more importantly, look to my prep time, where that kind of thinking drops away when SMP realizes that they all believe he's Superman. That's all he's ever wanted! That's always been his real goal, his real ambition. Not destroying universes, or destroying OA. His real goal is to be Superman, and they're going to give him that chance.

That whole corrupted universe kick was never really SMP's, so much as it was Alex's. SBP played along, but he really just went a little crazy in that paradise dimension, and just wanted to be Superman. Furthermore, all of that old thinking is going to drop away, as I said before, at the point when he's being offered a chance at his ultimate goal: being the "real" Superman.

We're talking about Superman. One of the fastest, strongest, most dangerous beings in the universe. And this is a Superman against which any magical attack is useless. Shanzar would undoubtedly TRY some kind of magic attack against him at first, as Deadline would have told him that Superman's weak against it. Meanwhile, SMP is slamming into him, taking him out of the mansion, and beating hell out of him. Shanzar doesn't have TIME to think of sending him away. He just gets walloped. I think you know that, which is why you don't want him fighting SMP.

If that was true, the Teen Titans would have beaten the Titans Tomorrow in a jiffy.

Well he wouldn't be able to do much about it. Ion would have his ring, plus the Ion power, against a guy in street clothes. How is that a fight?

Or, if you mean that he wouldn't give up the fight in the first place, and shake on it...yes, I think they both would do that. Remember, for all they know, they could die for real here. If one or the other of them accidentally does too much and kills the other one, which is thoroughly possible in a strange universe like this, they could really screw up the Kyle Rayner timeline, for all they know. It's best for them to just wait it out. However, to make sure of that, Ion goes ahead and declaws his doppelganger.

To address some of the points:

Kyle may not have been at the final fight, but he's a Lantern. And if there's one thing Superman Prime hates besides the lack of 'real' heroes in this universe, it's the Lanterns. Even if there is no tension between Prime and his team during prep-time, he's going to go after Kyle. And, seeing how he faired against Sodam Yat, he'd probably beat Kyle like I wrote.

Shanzar is incredibly durable. He could take a beating from SMP and still keep going. And he could do things like speed himself up. I did write that the magical bonds and possession didn't work. But even if magic doesn't work directly, the force of a magical blast or attack should still work. Otherwise the Starheart power wouldn't work on Prime (and yet it did when he fought Yat). But that's why I had Shanzar teleport him away. A portal to another dimension is still just a portal. And Superman Prime is inexperienced and does tend to get surprised easily.

The difference between the Titans of Tomorrow and Ion is the amount of time. The Titans had years, maybe a decade, to change and improve their skills (and become completely different people). The difference between Kyle and Ion can't be more than year. And he's still essentially the same person, just with a different power source. So it should still be Kyle fighting Kyle. And that means Kyle isn't going to just not fight. Which means that Ion isn't getting Kyle's ring, so the street clothes argument is null.

I thought your team was sticking together?

They are together. Vision and Deadline are phased, watching over Proctor who is the bait. And he's logical bait since, if it goes badly, he should be able to teleport to safety.

Why is Aztek going after Proctor when he could take out Vision? Furthermore, those systems may be able to track the superquick, but DC's superspeed is way more powerful than Marvel's superspeed. And with Anarky fighting Vision for control, he's not going to be at 100% capacities, giving Aztek even more of an advantage against him. Then, of course, once Aztek takes him out, Anarky can easily take over the systems.

Aztek doesn't see Vision. Vision could be hiding, phased, on the other side of the wall or ceiling, using his sensors to watch Proctor. So Proctor is the only opponent that Aztek sees to attack.

DC superspeed is only better than Marvel's when it comes to the Speed Force. I'd argue that Gladiator is as fast as Superman, and neither use a speed force, so that argument doesn't really hold up for me.

You're also assuming Anarky will be fighting Vision, when I argue that isn't going to happen since Vision can avoid Anarky. And Anarky would have to find Vision before Aztek, using his superspeed, finds Proctor.

As I see it, that right there is where the fight ends. Midnighter only needs to slip under Proctor's defenses once to kick his head off.

Proctor is immortal. And he's no slouch. He also has superhuman strength and durability. Plus he can screw with Midnighter's head by messing up his brain chemistry. That should at least throw Midnighter off his game. And Proctor could always just teleport away, which Midnighter couldn't counter.

Not how Anarky plays. He fights in the field.

In my version, Anarky tries to turn the Mansion defenses against my team, which makes sense. Why not use a 'free' weapon. He's then kept busy because Vision programmed those systems to attack anyone trying to tamper with them.

Aztek's not going to fall into that trap. Anarky will have warned him to stay away from it, and he will. Furthermore, Vision doesn't control this fight. He's the less powerful here. While SOME of their powers cancel each other out, Aztek has more powers than Vision does, some of which Vision won't have even encountered before. Aztek controls this fight, not Vision.

Just like my team wouldn't fall your trap of fighting in the Danger Room.

Kyle may not have been at the final fight, but he's a Lantern. And if there's one thing Superman Prime hates besides the lack of 'real' heroes in this universe, it's the Lanterns.
My point here is that that's not what's motivating Superman-Prime anymore, and most likely, it never really was. That was Alexander Luthor's kick, which SBP played along with, in the same way that he would eventually play along with the Anti-Monitor and Sinestro. He's always just wanted to be Superman, deep down, and suddenly he has been unequivocally offered that position, without qualification or suspicion.

wiegeabo said:
Shanzar is incredibly durable. He could take a beating from SMP and still keep going. And he could do things like speed himself up. I did write that the magical bonds and possession didn't work. But even if magic doesn't work directly, the force of a magical blast or attack should still work.
I don't think that's true. Furthermore, can Shanzar speed himself up to a Superman-level speed? A Superman-Prime level of speed? And even if he can--can he really withstand the power of a being who slaughtered superheroes left and right in Smallville, and annihilated the formidable Conner Kent? Can ANY being, when robbed of an effective means of counterattack or defense, stand up to such a savage beating for more than a few moments? I would argue no. At the end of the day, in this fight Shanzar is just a somewhat durable guy with no effective offensive or defensive arsenal, being attacked by one of the most powerful characters, in terms of brute strength, in the DTL.

wiegeabo said:
Otherwise the Starheart power wouldn't work on Prime (and yet it did when he fought Yat).
First of all, that's after the start of this season and inadmissible as evidence. Secondly, I believe the Starheart was only associated with KYLE as Ion, not Sodam Yat as Ion, which makes your argument moot regardless.

wiegeabo said:
But that's why I had Shanzar teleport him away. A portal to another dimension is still just a portal. And Superman Prime is inexperienced and does tend to get surprised easily.
Problem is, we both agree that's not Shanzar's FIRST attack. In fact, since his team will almost certainly believe that magic is Superman's weakness, he'll try and take him out with magical attacks first. That's the opening SMP needs, as he shrugs off the blows easily and slams into Shanzar, easily disorienting and battering the surprised sorceror. From that point on, it's just a short, lopsided fistfight between a savage Kryptonian at the top of his game, and a disoriented, defenseless, somewhat durable guy.

wiegeabo said:
The difference between the Titans of Tomorrow and Ion is the amount of time. The Titans had years, maybe a decade, to change and improve their skills (and become completely different people). The difference between Kyle and Ion can't be more than year. And he's still essentially the same person, just with a different power source. So it should still be Kyle fighting Kyle. And that means Kyle isn't going to just not fight. Which means that Ion isn't getting Kyle's ring, so the street clothes argument is null.
You haven't demonstrated why either of your arguments makes sense. (1) Just because they are the same person, that doesn't mean they're going to know the other's moves per se. They will share a close link, without a doubt, such as that experienced by twin siblings, but they won't KNOW each other's moves--the wages of the passing of time, which does irrevocably change people. Furthermore, since Kyle remained as Ion until the start of this season, the older Kyle in this situation is MINE, not yours, and so if either of them has the advantage of knowing the other's moves, it is MINE, not yours. (2) You also haven't shown why Kyle would fight. I have shown why I don't think either of them would be looking for a scrap. For all they know, damaging the other in the slightest could have drastic effects on their personal timelines. Remember, they don't know of the impermanence of these fights. They don't realize that if one of them is accidentally killed in combat, it won't matter. All they know is that they are in a strange universe with strange governing laws of science and a strange lay of the land, and that they are being asked to take each other out. They're going to look for the bloodless option. And that bloodless option will favor Ion.

Aztek doesn't see Vision.
Then Aztek will go looking for Vision. He won't go after Proctor. Proctor's not his man. My team plays a tight game, and Aztek, Anarky, and Midnighter in particular have a solid history of working together this season. They know their strategy, they know how to play this game. Aztek won't take another guy's target. He'll take his target.

wiegeabo said:
DC superspeed is only better than Marvel's when it comes to the Speed Force. I'd argue that Gladiator is as fast as Superman, and neither use a speed force, so that argument doesn't really hold up for me.
There's really no way to verify that particular comparison, but I think the point has been made pretty affirmatively in the DC-Marvel crossovers that superspeed is much faster in the DC Universe.

wiegeabo said:
You're also assuming Anarky will be fighting Vision, when I argue that isn't going to happen since Vision can avoid Anarky. And Anarky would have to find Vision before Aztek, using his superspeed, finds Proctor.
No, he's fighting him for control of the mansion computer systems. Not physically. I'd never ask Anarky to fight Vision physically.

wiegeabo said:
Proctor is immortal. And he's no slouch. He also has superhuman strength and durability. Plus he can screw with Midnighter's head by messing up his brain chemistry. That should at least throw Midnighter off his game. And Proctor could always just teleport away, which Midnighter couldn't counter.
However, that's not how you wrote Proctor as engaging Midnighter. You wrote him as trying to use a fairly pedestrian attack (logically, because he's an arrogant prick) against Midnighter, and that's the kind of move that gets you dead when you fight Midnighter.

wiegeabo said:
In my version, Anarky tries to turn the Mansion defenses against my team, which makes sense. Why not use a 'free' weapon.
Because that's not how Anarky has ever behaved, either in comics or in my DTL writeups. He works with his hands. He also uses tech, and has often used battleground systems in DTL fights, but he's done so WHILE working in the field, and he can do that because of his superintelligence.

wiegeabo said:
Just like my team wouldn't fall your trap of fighting in the Danger Room.
Let me emphasize again: THAT IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT PART OF MY WRITEUP. Anarky takes him down easy either way, because of the EMP dart and his superior martial arts ability.

Joseph Huber can only use one mutant power at a time, correct? That's how I remember X selling him, and that is how I will be treating him here. That being the case, he would seem to be at a distinct disadvantage against Zemo, who can anticipate what abilities he'd turn to with good accuracy, and who can simply freeze or scatter him through time unless he's using some very specific power-sets. After the last few rounds, the Moonstones are better guarded than at any point before. In-fact, the pair immediately visible are a synthesized fake.

Ordinarily, Thor could be expected to make life rather difficult for Ares. I feel confident in stating Ares is more powerful, but powers like the God Blast and worse, reflecting blasts back at greater potency can be a handful to deal with. Driven mad and wielding the Power Gem though, there's only one way Thor is ever going to fight here, and that caters to Ares' powerset perfectly. He may never win a protracted battle going blow for blow, but he is more than capable of holding his own for awhile, and using his superior skill and greater presence of mind to wrest the Gem from Thor's hands. Alternatively, Zemo or Lightray could easily accomplish the same with their powers, or Ares can use his own to seperate it from Thor.

Of-note is that the Gems - and the Power Gem in particular - respond to focus and drive, and there are few beings more devoted than Ares is to warfare.

The Super Skrull is facing Reed Richards again, and if that fact alone is not enough to put him in the fetal position, then my team's already made succesful use of Doom's Entropic Inducer earlier in the tournament, a device designed specifically by the world's second most briliant mind to do just that to anyone whose body is similar to Richards'.

I know X feels 853rd technology is beyond Richards or New Genesis advancements, but I simply don't believe that to be true, and have seen precious little to support the argument in what's now a fairly old debate. At any rate, the two are combined here, and Lightray takes the future Batman down, Forge-tech or no.

Coronary.. has psychic powers and intangibility? His powers actually sounded somewhat similar to the Swan's, who's mind-linked to an Olympian god and the rest of his teammates for good measure, and bullets made by Ares should more than compensate for the intangibility issues, turning it into an outright weakness should Coronary rely on it.

As far as Ares' psychic powers are concerened, three notable power-ups ago, he caused men to go insane across the globe just by throwing a temper-tantrum in his own realm. I had a somewhat different plan in mind though, should X's team get the bright idea to use Cerebro or similar against the righteous Group B'wana:

In the realm of Hades lies the Akheron, a river flowing with the tortured souls of those of were denied proper burial. Ordinarily, they reside in a state approaching what can only be described as a merciful oblivion. Until they are roused, provoked, perhaps, by the prospect of salvation. It'd take an inordinarily cruel mind to do so.

"-You're right.. of-course..

Completely blocking your powers through technological means may well be impossible.

Amplyfing them, on the other hand, is a feat that may be readily accomplished."

*Ares rises to his feet again and regains his composure, as Joseph Huber collapses to the ground clutching at his head.*

"What you're now experiencing are the pain, hope, and prayers of generations of lost souls, resonating a dozen-folds. If you can't handle the sensation, you should never have attempted to tresspassed on my mind."

Also, I'm sure control over the Danger Room would feature prominently into this match-up, but even should my team lose such a battle, Zemo, Ares, Lightray can all exit it just about at will, and at-least two of them should see straight through any deception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"