dtL Season 7-Week 8

DTL Commish

DTL Commisioner
Reaction score
The rules:
This thread will be in use for 5 days. Days 1-3 are strictly setup time for owners to post their battles, plead their cases, tell us their team’s strategies, breakdown the match ups, and do whatever else they can/want to do to try and convince you that their team would pull out a victory inside of 2 posts. Please, let the owners do this on their own with no help. Debating cannot begin until both owners post battles.

On Day 4, I will post and tell everyone that debating may begin. Each owner has one post to rebut their opponent's match, and another to correct any issues of their opponent's rebuttle. One 2 rebuttle posts are allowed for each opponent.

On Day 5, I will post and tell everyone that voting can begin. Any votes cast before I open voting will not count. Look over the matchups and read the strategies, and take in to consideration how in-character each character is. Afterwards, use your best judgment to decide who you think has the best chance to win the match. (Note: The length of a writeup is at the discretion of the owner. Do not punish owners just for having a shorter writeup.)

To vote, rate each team's writeup and arguments between 1-10 (0 is reserved for non-writeups). The team you think will win should get the higher score (tie scores are not allowed). Remember to vote for all matches or your votes will not count! The teams with the highest point total at the end of the 7th day will get a W while the other will get an L. (Equal scores will result in a tie.)

The battleground for this week is: Ysmault (1 2 3 4)

The Odd Alliance
Maelstrom (MU)
Onslaught (Magneto/Xavier) (MU)
New Son (MM)
Shadow Thief (DR)
Demask (AoA) (MR)

VS.

Jailbait
Fernus The Burning (DU)*
Mordru (DU)
Kang (MM)
Gentleman Ghost (DR)
The Wizard (MR)

The Ringers
Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) (DU)
Iron Man (Extremis) (MM)
Ion (Torchbearer) (DU)
Brainiac 5 (DR)
Nightwing (DR)

VS.

The Bad News Byrds
Red Son Superman (DU)
The Flash (Barry Allen) (DU)
Weather Wizard (DM)
Captain America (Bucky Barnes) (MR)
The Comedian (DR)

Heroes of the New Age
Rulk (MU)
Martian Manhunter (DU) 1
Psylocke (telekinesis) (MM)
Zauriel (DR)
Anti-Venom (MR)

VS.

Chaos & Order
Exodus (MU)
Captain Atom (DU)
Proctor (MR)
Boy Blue (DR)
Iron Spidey (MR)

Last edited:
The Ringers
Iron Man (Extremis) (MM)
Ion (Torchbearer) (DU)
Brainiac 5 (DR)
Nightwing (DR)

VS.

The Bad News Byrds
Red Son Superman (DU)
Weather Wizard (DM)
The Comedian (DR)

Prep-Time

As the images come up, there are recognitions of most of the other team. Kara would recognize Kal, though not this version of him. Brainiac, Kyle, Kara, and Dick would all recognize the Flash, and all but Kara would know that it was Barry. Weather Wizard would be known to Kyle and Dick as friends of Wally's, and to Brainiac 5 as a historical villain. Iron Man would recognize Captain America, and know that it was James and not Steve. The Comedian would be a mystery to my team. On the other hand, Brainiac 5 would be a mystery to the other team, and Barry might realize that Kyle is of the Corps, he wouldn't know about the Ion power.

Now on to the strategy; here Dick and Brainy would shine, with Iron Man providing help on Bucky. They would pit Kara against the alternate version of her cousin first and foremost, knowing that while she probably wouldn't win, they would have time enough to deal with the rest of the team in the mean time. Brainy would provide a force field belt for Dick, and plan on facing off against the Comedian, since no one knows his powers or abilities. Dick would feel himself well suited to James, as from the intel provided by Tony, he seems a lot like his buddy Roy. Iron Man would take on the Weather Wizard, leaving Kyle to deal with the Flash.

Battle:
Supergirl v. Superman (Red Son)

Supergirl would charge out of the gate for what appears to be her cousin, although confused at the costume for an instant. But once she hit the Soviet, she'd catch him off guard, hitting harder than his Wonder Woman. Using this slight surprise to her advantage she'd drive Kal right through the Central Battery, causing a massive explosion of raw red rage energy in the process.

To be continued...

Ion v. Flash

Ion would fly up to get a good vantage point to take on the Flash before realizing something. The Flash wasn't looking for a fight, he had already found one. As he viewed from his position in the sky, he watched as Barry was bogged down by ice and sleet, while simultaneously being struck by lightning bolts. Realizing he could be better used elsewhere, Kyle turns to help Supergirl.

Ion & Supergirl v. Superman

Just as Superman starts to get the advantage over his cousin, his experience and superior power levels tantamount to gaining control of the battle, he's blindsided by a construct of a green Star Destroyer. "Now THAT'S what I call star wars, President Reagan!" As Superman turns to face his new assailant, his face looks grim. "More of a Trek person? Okay then..." Forming out of green energy a construct of the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-D appears, blasting Kal with green energy streams as well. Superman flies through the beams and shatters the construct on his way to Kyle, just to get his back slammed into by his first opponent. Working together, Kyle and Kara make the battle against Superman much shorter than Brainy and Dick had thought it would be. They look down to see the other battles taking place, with Flash having just knocked out Weather Wizard and tying him to a nearby rock column. He was headed towards Dick.

Iron Man & Nightwing v. Captain America

Much like Kyle, Tony saw his opponent go straight after a teammate, and decided to let them fight it out. Knowing the resourcefulness of the former Winter Soldier, he decides to help Dick take on Bucky. Bucky sees the acrobat flip towards him, and though the costume was different from the one Barry knew, he recognized the man under the mask and was able to relay what he knew about the former teen wonder to the rest of his team. As Dick came at him, Bucky threw his shield not expecting to hit him, but to distract him. As the Titan dodged the shield he flipped straight into three shots from Bucky's pistol. The force field Brainiac gave him holds out, but the shots still took Dick by surprise and knocked him off his feet and kept him from his attack. Dick quickly dug a wing-ding from his glove, and chucked it at Bucky, who caught it in his metal hand. As he crushed the thrown weapon, he fired off three more rounds at Dick, who was now behind cover. Looking up, Dick saw his backup approach. Without the shield for protection one repulser blast staggers Bucky, and one armored punch knocks him out cold.

Brainiac 5 v. Comedian

Now Brainiac wouldn't have much in the way to combat the Comedian, and he realizes this quickly. While his forcefield belt would hold out against the Comedian's guns, Brainiac would have no fire power of his own, though he would use his flight ring to maintain an elevated target. However... as soon as Bucky was down...

Nightwing, Iron Man, & Brainiac 5 v. Comedian

The Comedian would go down rather quickly to a combined onslaught of Dick and Tony.

Supergirl & Ion v. The Flash

As the other three wrap up against the Comedian, Flash gets corralled into a green dome, isolating him from helping the Comedian. "Welcome to THUNDER DOME!"

Flash turns his attention to the two new comers, and recognizes Kara, though its not the Kara he knows. She uses her own superspeed to get a bead on him and then with one punch she knocked him out of his run, long enough for Kyle to encase him in the hug of a giant green teddy bear, just long enough to make him pass out due to a lack of air.

Winners: The Ringers

Week 8

The Ringers

Iron Man (Extremis) (MM)
Ion (Torchbearer) (DU)
Brainiac 5 (DR)
Nightwing (DR)

VS.

The Bad News Byrds
Red Son Superman (DU)
Weather Wizard (DM)
The Comedian (DR)

Prep-Time

On the surface of Ysmault, the team prepares for their fight.
Superman remains silent as he reads the names of the opponents. Barry Allen recognizes the names Nightwing and Brainiac 5, knowing Dick Grayson's acrobatic ability and the Legion of Super-Heroes member's vast intellect. Weather Wizard cast an eye towards Flash, gripping his wand tightly as he goes back to looking over the list. Mardon takes note of the barren soil underneath his feet. Bucky Barnes knows what Iron Man is capable of. Meanwhile Edward Blake comps on his cigar and strokes the shotgun in his hands as he reads the list. The names in front of him mean very little to him.

"We're teammates," Barry Allen says to the Weather Wizard. "Whatever we had going on in Central City is on hold right now. We have to work together for the greater good. Can you do that?"

Sneering, Weather Wizard turns away from the Flash. "You do your job and I'll do mine."

Red Son Superman vs. Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)The Soviet Man of Steel takes on his cousin from another dimension. While both are Kryptonians and Kara would hold her on for awhile against Superman, in the end the full-grown man who's had more exposure to the yellow sun wins the day. It's dasvidaniya Supergirl. Turning his attention to Flash, he flies away to assist him.

Winner: Red Son Superman

The Flash (Barry Allen) & Red Son Superman vs. Ion

Kyle Rayner is in full Torch bearer mode and Barry is the Fastest Man Alive. This plays out as a stalemate at first, with Barry outrunning Kyle's blasts and Kyle staying in the air and out of Barry's range. That is, until Superman joins the party. Fighting the Soviet Man of Steel distracts Kyle long enough for Barry to kick up a hurricane force wind with his arms. With experience fighting Green Lanterns, Superman tears through Ion's protective field and immobilizes him with his super-breath, turning the Torchbearer into a hunk of ice.

Winner: Flash & Red Son Superman

Weather Wizard vs. Iron Man

Iron Man's Extremis armor is all powerful, basically turning Iron Man into a technopath. Too bad there is no real technology on Ysmault. Stark's ability to fly and fire his repulsor blasts do very little to Mardon, who has whipped up a major stand-storm with Ysmault's barren soil. Iron Man is able to see through the storm with his HUD, but that's just in time to realize he's too late to prevent the lightning storm from striking him. Weather Wizard repeatedly strikes Iron Man with bolts of lighting, frying Stark's CPU systems and turning the Extremis into a hunk of metal.

Winner: Weather Wizard

Captain America (Bucky Barnes) vs. Brainiac 5

This battle isn't much of a battle at all. Brainiac 5 is a 12th level intellect, but that means very little combined with Bucky's shield and gun. Brainy can think five steps ahead of his opponent, but all that does is see how this one ends before it even begins. Using his shield and abilities he learned as the Winter Soldier, Bucky takes Brainiac 5 down easily. He then turns to help out Blake with Nightwing.

Winner: Captain America

The Comedian & Captain America vs. Nightwing

Nightwing, the able acrobat, takes it to Comedian early on. A capable brawler, he has no answer for Nightwing's athletic skills except for the gunfire from his pistol, which misses wide. Finally getting Dick within his grasp, Blake takes it to the younger man and sends him on his heels. Nightwing gets more shots in and puts Blake on the ropes. Having beat Brainiac, Buck enters the fight and it becomes a fight between two former sidekicks. Already worn down by Comedian, Bucky is able to overwhelm Dick with his fighting moves and shield.

Winner: Comedian & Captain America

Winner - The Bad News Byrds

Wieg is that your line up? Thought you changed it...Not complaining just checking

OddAllianceBanner-6.jpg

The Odd Alliance
Maelstrom (MU)
Onslaught (Magneto/Xavier) (MU)
New Son (MM)
Shadow Thief (DR)
Damask (AoA) (MR)

VS.

Jailbait
Fernus The Burning (DU)
Mordru (DU)
Kang (MM)
Gentleman Ghost (DR)
The Wizard (MR)

Pre-Battle

I think Jailbait should work well together due to them having been together previous. I’ll admit, my own team will have some issues adjusting because two of the three are new, however, there are no real contrasting personalities really so 24 hours preptime should give them time to iron out any differences and help them put that behind them.

Now, who will know who? As for the Odd Alliance they will know Fernus from their last encounter (not to mention an encounter with Martian Manhunter as well), and the same with Kang. The Wizard is a well known villain so Xavier should have a pretty good idea of who he is. Ghost should be known by Shadow Thief but Mordru could be a dangerous question mark. However, he seems to be a big threat for the JSA and to have been around for a while, and since Shadow Thief is an arch-foe of Hawkman, a member of the JSA, I’d stretch to assume that there’s a chance of him at last knowing a little about Mordru… if nothing else than the fact that he’s a powerful sorcerer.

Now, Jailbate knows a bit less than the Odd Alliance. They will know New Sun and Onslaught from their previous encounter. Ghost should know Shadow Thief. Damask and Maelstrom will be mysteries, as they are other worldly in both dimensional and cosmic ways.

And the last portion of Pre-Battle… strategic advantage. I have to say it… Odd Alliance has this one. Now, if you look at the line ups you may be saying “What the fudd?!”. Yes, Jailbait is filled with strategic players and the Odd Alliance only has one, but here’s the deal…. Jailbait has strategic players full of pride (Fernus, Mordru, and Kang specifically… Wizard to a lesser degree). They can come up with some great stuff but I don’t see any of those first three taking the lesser role of grunt. Stuff would be accomplished but not to the degree of their potential. The Odd Alliance has only Xavier, and Maelstrom to a small degree. But the team also has Damask, New Sun, and Shadow Thief, all of whom can take orders. Even Maelstrom isn’t quite egotistical like those of Jailbait. Sometimes, one strategic mind with a bunch of characters willing to follow can accomplish more than a bunch of conflicting strategic minds. Just sayin’.

The Battle Begins

Okay, I’ve typed up about four different scenarios to open this with and I keep hitting the same point…. Both sides have tons of things they can do to kill the other side in an opening assault. I try to be fair to both sides but it’s just a sudden slaughter fest and everything depends on subtle alterations with tons of room for arguments on minor things for both sides. So for the sake of fairness and headache we’ll just say there was an amazing opening hurrah involving all the characters, though I’d assume that the ubers would be the forefront cause of it all. Everyone took some blows and the area was pretty roughly damaged. I’m not trying to be weak, there’s just too much with all these power sets to pick one opening. So I’m starting it mid-battle… no casualties thus far. Obviously everyone’s minds are protected via Onslaught and Fernus.

Now, as a result of this amazing opening assault that I’ve not detailed; Maelstrom is dealing with Mordru, Onslaught is fighting Fernus, Shadow Thief is taking on Gentlemen Ghost, Damask is dealing with Wizard, and New Sun is taking on Kang… all as expected to this point. Team work will commence as the story moves forward.

Now is usually the case the Uber battles drag on longer than the others so lets start with the lesser ones:

Damask vs. Wizard

The original plan was to protect Damask for the plan of having her quickly take out Fernus. This is a problem, however, as in the initial AMAZING opening assault, she was separated from the rest and pursued by the Wizard. Wizard is flying after her and while they do not know what her powers are he has hopes of taking control of her with his helmet. He fires electrical blasts from his gauntlets but she dodges them behind rocks and such. Being from the Age of Apocalypse she’s lived her whole life surviving and isn’t one to be taken lying down. She worked her way up the lists to a direct servant of Apocalypse and so she knows this type of scenario. Not only that but this broken fiery dead land is just like home for her so she knows how to move in it. He takes to the air as she hides below and eventually he loses her. He checks his tech trying to track her. He finds her whereabouts and comes closer for an assault, but as she drops in close a sudden springing of mental chains fling out. His shields or helmet does nothing against these as they dig into his mind and shred his brain. He falls to the ground. She steps out and drives a dagger into his neck just to be sure.

Shadow Thief vs. Gentleman Ghost

This could be an interesting match in that both can phase, both can become invisible (to an extent), both can create portals/teleport, both can call forth weapons (shadow or spectral), both are basically ghosts. Now, some differences, and these are the deciding factors, are that Shadow Thief can extend his body, use Ghost’s clothing’s shadow against him, and is an expert in martial arts hand-to-hand. Ghost has energy blasts.

Honestly, I think these two could go forever. As comics always depict, when two people can phase they just need to find the right frequency and they can touch. I’d assume that also goes for their weapons and such. There may be some slight differences due to Ghost being an actual Ghost but as far as I know there’s nothing to back that up in the comics or bios I’ve read, so for the sake of argument and “comic reasoning” I’ll assume they CAN fight.

It could obviously go either way depending on minor alterations in the battle so I’ll just have a little outside help decide the victor. I’d imagine that having just defeated her foe, Damask could be making her way back to the rest and hears the battle going on. Seeing them, she makes her way to them. Ghost is distracted by Shadow Thief and doesn’t see her coming and mentally she reaches out and skins Ghost’s mind. Now, yes, he’s dead, but if he’s talking and thinking and assaulting then he has a mind. There doesn’t need to be a physical brain there for her to mentally skin them, as shown when she skinned the AoA’s Shadow King without him even being present, just using his astral form. And thus, the Gentleman Ghost falls.

New Sun vs Kang

New Sun doesn’t need to touch things to charge and blow them up. He just feels the potential kinetic energy, makes it kinetic, and then charges it. This can be anything from organic to inorganic and even air. So he feels the air inside of Kang’s force fields and makes it go kablooy! Kang will survive this just fine though it will hurt, but that gets rid of the shields, as any erected can just cause him harm again. Now, as he begins to bring weapons to the foreground New Sun charges the kinetic movement of the machinery, thus, the gun blows. Through this he leaves each of Kang’s technology useless the moment it’s brought into our era. I’m not saying Kang doesn’t get a single shot off, but in the end New Sun’s just too quick for him, and when he has an opportunity, the air going into Kang’s mouth and lungs charges and explodes. This may or may not kill Kang, but it will definitely take him out of the match.

Maelstrom vs. Mordru

Maelstrom hits Mordru with a surprise blast of energy. Mordru’s magical shields take the brunt of the blast and he returns with another blast, which Maelstrom shrinks and dodges. Maelstrom then grows mid-leap and hits Mordru in the chest with a blast that knocks him back. Two gigantic stone fists spring from the ground and attempt to flatten Maelstrom but their intense hits do nothing but strengthen Maelstrom as he absorbs the kinetic energy of them. He shoots up through them, shattering them, and then bounces at Mordru, who flies into the air and dodges his assault. As Maelstrom leaps after him he is blasted down by a magical assault. This hurts him but there is still kinetic energy in the air around the assault, and so he heals from the blow and is ready to go again.

A blue energy suddenly hits Mordru in the back as Maelstrom leaps upward and clings onto the sorcerer. Mordru attempts to shake him off but finds he is unable to. Despite his strength, Maelstrom continues to leech on, his arms around Mordru’s neck. As he attempts to fly down into the ground to crush Maelstrom he suddenly begins to glow blue and an explosion does three things. 1) It shakes Mordru, 2) it strengthens Maelstrom, and 3) it cushened the impact of the intended fall. This explosion was New Sun arriving. I quote this from the bio I provided above:

If [Maelstrom] had a perpetual source of kinetic energy, his strength would know no limits

And with New Sun there, who is a perpetual source of kinetic energy, suddenly Maelstrom is as strong as this tournament will allow (obviously not limitless, but the top tier strength allowable, definitely more than Mordru). The initial blast gave him the strength to cling onto Mordru despite his magic and strength, and the explosion further helped that along. And with all this strength he tightens his grip until Mordru’s neck snaps and then he rips it right off. Now do note that I acknowledge he’d have a magical shield up, but after the kinetic assault from two sides and a struggle and full fledge fall and so forth, it’s not hard to imagine a loss of focus for those to drop. Despite that, the level of strength of Maelstrom at that point could likely break through it, as often in comics magical barriers are shown to be broken.

Onslaught vs. Fernus the Burning

I’d imagine that these two having faced each other before they will prepare again. Mentally they’d be fairly even. In other powers Onslaught has his magnetism and telekinesis. Fernus has his phasing, eye beams, heat, pyrokinesis, etc. It’d be a good fight but I hate to admit it… it’s going to go to Fernus. This is one location where it really helps Fernus out. He is surrounded by lava and fire, and with him being pyrokinetic he can control these things. As they fight he basically takes the fire and heat around them, including the heat of his own body, and just erupts on Onslaught like a nuclear explosion. Onslaught is powerful but not THAT powerful. This would weaken him dramatically and with no one near to drain energy from he should be easy pickings for Fernus. With Xavier’s mind taxed Fernus should be able to break open the psionic shell and just slaughter the man within.

Fernus vs. the Odd Alliance

Fernus is a beast. After destroying Onslaught using his pyrokinesis and his surrounding I could see him lashing out at the rest, whoever he sees. I’d imagine that he’d see Maelstrom first, and Maelstrom would be one heck of a battle for him. He’s every bit a match when it comes to strength and resistance to injury. They’d fight for a while but Maelstrom’s brain would no longer be protected thanks to Onslaught’s defeat. And so Fernus will eventually make his way in and stun Maelstrom long enough to rip him limb from limb. This will take quite a bit of time, however, as New Sun is also there and his mind is protected from telepathy, and his power furthered enhanced Maelstrom’s powers. Now New Sun is left to fight.

This, however, serves as an unintentional distraction, allowing Damask and Shadow Thief to make her way toward them. New Sun charges portions of Fernus’s body to explode a second later, and though his body shifts they will explode and sling him to the ground. The heat begins to intensify again like with Onslaught but New Sun has a proper defense for it.

New Sun’s Bio said:
He can cause another being to be unable to move or unable to stop if in motion. He was able to cause or simulate various energies by manipulating the kinetic energy present, such as infrared and microwaves by increasing molecular agitation, or cold by reducing it.

He immediately grabs every bit of kinetic energy surrounding himself and Fernus and drops it to below freezing to extinguish the flames. That air then explodes all around Fernus. He phases through it and races for New Sun, who drops toward the ground, but as he hits suddenly he finds himself stuck. New Sun stopped him in motion. He could probably phase out of it given the chance but the reason this was done was that Damask had finally arrived and reached out with her mental chains and skin the mind of the martian. His mind and brain are then destroyed and all his abilities are for not as he callapses to the ground.

And thus, New Sun and Damask, as well as Shadow Thief, stand victorious (Damask the obvious MVP of the week)

Winners – Odd Alliance

2em3ayw.jpg

Heroes of the New Age (Owner: Nightwing)

Rulk (MU)
Martian Manhunter (DU) 1
Psylocke (telekinesis) (MM)
Zauriel (DR)
Anti-Venom (MR)

VS.

Chaos & Order (Owner: Wiegeabo)

Exodus (MU)
Captain Atom (DU)
Proctor (MR)
Boy Blue (DR)
Iron Spidey (MR)

Prep-time

Ok so Exodus will be known to Psylocke and Proctor possibly but not 100% on that. Captain Atom is known to MM. Iron Spidey should be known to Brock and that leaves Boy Blue as a question mark.

They all have plans and they all know what they have to do.

Battles

Rulk and Martian Manhunter Vs. Captain Atom and Exodus

Ok so naturally the two telepaths are going to duke it out however there is a hidden agenda to this attack. MM knows that if Atoms suit is compromised then Rulk can absorb the energy and boost his own strength levels which will aid MM in fighting Exodus. MM initially puts a block up over Rulk’s mind preventing any mental attack from Exodus. He then shape shifts to a mythical creature from his home planet to battle Atom whilst Rulk faces Exodus. Rulk is an army strategist and knows that the direct approach isn’t going to benefit him. He grabs debris and throws it the mutant. As planned Exodus teleports. Rulk leaps into the air. As Exodus ports back he scans around for Rulk only to sense a looming shadow above him. Looking up he doesn’t have time to react as the red mass slams hard onto him.

Meanwhile MM is tackling Atom. He has wrapped his body in a snake like constriction around the silver hero. Atom emits a powerful blast of energy. The residual fall out carries over to Rulk. He absorbs a small amount and feels its instant affects. MM reforms to his normal self and he and Atom begin trading blows.

Rulk tries to pummel Exodus but finds himself gripped in a TK hold and launched across the plain towards the giant red battery…

“Thaddeus Ross…you have great rage within you…”

Martian Manhunter is on a par with Atoms strength. His power levels and skills are blinded somewhat however by a preempted knowledge of MM’s plans. He concentrates hard on holding MM at bay with his strength…

Psylocke vs. Proctor

Psylocke doesn’t really know what to expect from the regular but she isn’t about to take any chances. She erects a TK shield around her and moves in for a katana strike. Proctor dodges this and slices his own blade through the TK shield. It slices her arm causing her defenses to lower as she clutches the wound. She slips backwards into the shadows and vanishes. He tries to locate her through telepathy but this skill is wasted on her. He blasts in an arc with energy projected from his eyes. This proves useless as Psylocke darts from shadow to shadow until she is in a prime position to strike. She leaps from the shadows, wielding a psychic katana. Proctor spins and lifts his own blade. He falls to his knees as the katana dives into his skull causing his eyes to roll into his head. His own blade, however didn’t miss the mark. She feels it lodged in her abdomen. Both fall aside one another unable to continue.

Anti-Venom vs. Iron Spidey

Whilst the rest fight, a former enemy of Peter’s approaches. Thinking he has the upper hand with his nice new suit he rushes into the battle. He runs and jumps, as to somersault over Brock. This fails and he tumbles into him. Venom looks over him. Peter’s powers have been reduced to nothing. His spider sense, his agility, everything. His powers are being suppressed by the Symbiote, which makes this so much easier for Brock. Naturally being stronger than Peter makes him 10 fold stronger in his suit. Now with the new suit it would give him some form of protection but his reactions and skills aren’t nearly close to Anti-venoms. Brock moves in fast and hard. He fires webbing at all Parkers limbs. Tendrils leave the white Symbiote and string up Peter as Brock begins a harsh and powerful assault on him. He releases a fast and large number of punches to his face and it isn’t long before he falls unconscious.

Zauriel and Anti-Venom vs. Boy Blue

Zauriel is able to keep a healthy distance from this attacker whilst he is on the ground however he doesn’t contemplate the cape. Boy Blue teleports to Zauriel and swings his sword. It is parried off of Zauriel’s own flaming sword. The two duel as they relocate across different areas of the sky. As they pass Brock and Parker, Zauriel notices Venom finishing off his opponent. He swoops lower to him to entice Boy Blue down. Boy Blue teleports in front of Zauriel but finds himself caught in a tendril. The cape is consumed by the Symbiote as it tries to figure out what it is. Zauriel swoops in with a sonic scream. The sound ruptures Boy Blues ears but in the process causes Venom’s Symbiote to recoil in pain. Brock’s rage once again takes over. He leaps for Zauriel who manages to dodge out of the way and takes to the skies to keep a safe distance. Anti-Venom in his rage heads across to the Ubers.

Martian Manhunter, Rulk, Anti-venom and Zauriel vs. Exodus and Captain Atom

Atom and MM are still trading blows, neither one coming close to backing down. Exodus is approaching the Rulk who has found himself laying face up to the red battery.

“Thaddeus Ross…you have great rage within you. Welcome to the Red Lantern Corp”

A red ring flies onto his finger. The mutant watches as Rulk spews up his blood, his body replacing it with pure rage.

He lets out an almighty roar which can be heard from miles around. He turns towards Exodus who immediately teleports. Rulk runs over to Atom grabbing him by the arms and pushing MM out of the way.

Exodus ports back to the playing field to watch Rulk’s rage consume him. Anti-Venom in his own rage filled state coils his tendrils around the mutant and takes a huge bite out of his shoulder. Zauriel swoops in with his sword and slices at him. MM begins a mental attack but all is in vain for Rulk rips Captain Atom clean in half. The blast of energy is nuclear and wipes out all combatants except for MM who manages to phase in time and Rulk who absorbs most of the energy.

HOTNA remain victorious but pay a heavy price.

JAILBAIT VS. THE ODD ALLIANCE

Okay, so no ‘story-telling time’ or ‘team tactics’, just a quick points-by-points battle. These two teams are relatively familiar with each other, having battled once before. There are a few new faces and this will cause tensions in both groups, but nothing debilitating. Wizard will be reined in, Maelstrom will grudgingly work alongside his team (he’s a definite solo player), but not actively work with them.

* Mordru taps into the dormant and potent magic energies of the planet. As far as I know, Maelstrom isn’t adept at absorbing magical energies. Even if he is, there’s nothing with his powers that Mordru can’t. The Dark One can outgrow Atom-Smasher (and take his blows), and is versatile and experienced enough to deal with anything else Maelstrom throws his way. The cosmic villain might be able to absorb straight up blasts, but what’s Maelstrom going to do when Mordru chants a spell that ages him back to infancy or further along to his death?
* Fernus and Onslaught fought against once another before, and just as Fernus had the edge then, he has the edge now. The environment is perfectly suited to him, with lots of fire and such about. Knowing his opponent’s weaknesses, The Burning won’t hesitate to pull it all out and finish off Xavier ruthlessly.
* Kang has faced New Sun before. Based on that battle, Kang will be able to whip something up (such as a power inhibitor) to take this alternate reality Gambit down quickly and efficiently. This will be Kang’s first priority and New Sun doesn’t have the wits or the resources to evade being pulled into a battle with the Conqueror.
* Damask’s powers are suited only to hand-to-hand combat. She can’t reach the Wizard up in the air (as he is wont to fly around), and he can just send one of his anti-gravity disks to her, have it latch onto her and send her into the atmosphere.
* Gentleman Ghost and Shadow-Thief haven’t worked alongside each other, as far as I know, but they’ll have heard of each other. They’ll be hard-pressed to hurt each other and will move on to other opponents before long. So if Wizard doesn’t take down Damask, Gentleman Ghost will. Wizard in turn is taken down by Shadow-Thief.
* Which leaves the others to take on Shadow-Thief. Against the ubers, Carl Sands doesn’t stand a prayer. Against Kang he has a better shot, but considering Hawkman can take him down (a badass man with wings and a mace, but still just a man), I have faith Kang can too.

WINNERS=JAILBAIT

Chaos & Order

Team dynamics likely will not be a huge issue on either side. The villains are at least in control enough to work with the others to win. The location doesn't contribute much int he way of resources, and no one is going to be able to use the Red Lantern Battery. There really isn't much to do during prep time but hash out a battle plan.

Captain Atom versus Rulk probably isn't the best matchup for C&O since Rulk can absorb energy. But Exodus has to fight the Manhunter, and they couldn't know about Rulk's powers anyway.

Outside of the ubers, there's going to be a ground war and a fight against an aerial assault. Proctor's goal is to keep Zauriel busy and off his teammates backs. This means finding some nice high locations, like hill or mountain tops, telelporting there, and firing his energy beams at the angel. Not willing to leave a sniper alone to pick off himself and his team, Zauriel has no choice but to try and engage Proctor. As Zauriel hunts his target, Proctor simple teleports right above him and lands on his back, driving the Ebony Blade into the angel, ending his fight. Just that quickly, there is a clear advantage.

Back on the ground, Boy Blue and Spidey are sticking together, and for good reason. The ground shakes from Rulk and Atom slamming into each other, and Atom blasting Rulk with energy, but doing little to slow him down. Meanwhile, on the other side of the battlefield, Exodus and the Manhunter are physically and mentally fighting. If it wasn't for his teleportation and rapid healing, Exodus would probably quickly succumb to the Manhunter's intangibility (invisibility would be little help since Exodus could still track the Manhunter's mind).

When Anti-Venom explodes from his hiding place to ambush Pete and wipe out his powers, Boy Blue is there with the Vorpal Blade, cutting tendrils, and forcing Brock back. That's when Pete's spidey-sense goes nuts and he leaps away from the shadows Brock led him to just as Psylocke emerges. Pete lays down a mass of webbing, but Psylocke slips back into the shadows, the webs sticking to nothing but rock.

The symbiote screams with every direct attack as Boy Blue snicker-snacks tendril after tendril to the ground with his centuries of battle experience. Brocks agility keeps him out of the path of the Blade, and his strength allows him to toss massive boulders at Blue to try and crush him. He does get his webs on Blue, but Blue just teleports out of the cocoon before Brock can crush it. The distraction Blue provides is more than enough for Proctor to get the jump on Brock, who now faces two battle-hardened, sword wielding, super-powered enemies. Blue continues to whip his sword around like a weed-eater gone mad, and Proctor's eyebeams keep pounding on Brock. But what really gets to Anti-Venom is Proctor's manipulation of Brock's brain chemistry causing so much pain and disruption that, not only is it hard for Brock to think and fight, it's hard for the symbiote to maintain their connection.

One or both blades will be taking Brock's life, despite Pete's shouts of protest when he sees Brock taken down. Which will likely give Psylocke the time she needs to finally put her psychic katana into the momentarily stopped Spidey. And now the teleporting ninja faces off against two immortal, teleporting sword-wielders. Well, actually, just one....

Captain Atom will have made little progress against Rulk, his flying the only thing keeping Rulk from literally chewing Atom up and spitting him out. But their fight momentarily comes to a halt when a small blue bird (a distinctly odd sight on a dead world) lands at Rulk's feet. The distraction would normally last only a moment, and not give Atom much to work with, but Rulk is further confused when the bird begins to twist and morph in strange ways. Before Rulk realizes what's happening, the now human Boy Blue has already whipped the Vorpal Blade around in a wide arc. Rulk stares at the young man in confusion in anger. And then his head slides off his shoulders and Rulk's body slumps to the ground. To say Atom is not happy about this method of ending the conflict is likely an understatement.

The Manhunter has only a small advantage against Exodus. His intangibility and shapeshifting do little harm since Exodus aggravatingly continues to teleport to safety before charging back into the fight. But, as the two continue their struggles, Atom blasts his friend in the chest, hoping to end this without the bloodshed he just witnessed. When Boy Blue shows up to apply another killing blow, Atom waves him off (or warns him off with a well aimed blast of energy). While Atom fights J'onn, and pleads with him to surrender, that his fight is lost, Exodus is finally able to put all his effort into a mental assault. Fighting Atom physically and Exodus mentally is too much for the martian, and he starts losing ground. Remembering what Atom told them about his old teammate, Blue reaches into his cloak, and pulls torches, which he lights aflame with a spark of magic. While the torches are rather pathetic weapons normally, just the sight of the flames drives fear deep into the Martian. It's more than enough for Exodus to exploit, and the Manhunter screams in pain as the mutant rips into his mind.

Psylocke is the only one left standing. Perhaps she's taken down Proctor. Perhaps not. But either way, she's not going to be able to take on both ubers and Boy Blue. She will be immune to Exodus' telepathy, and teleporting through the shadows will keep her safe for a while. But Exodus will be able to detect her no matter where she goes. And while her opponents are virtually tireless, she is not. Eventually she will slow down and be unable to continue. And if the fight goes on long enough, Pete will wake up and be back in the fight. Despite her skills, every time she emerges to try and fight, she's at risk of getting blasted with energy or worse. It's only a matter of time.

Cchaos & Order win

I thought I'd make this rebuttal kinda quick since I'll likely be off the computer all day tomorrow for the 4th of July. I'll only hit a few points and call it done.

Maelstrom will grudgingly work alongside his team (he’s a definite solo player), but not actively work with them.

I can see there being an issue with Maelstrom for your write up, but just to defend my own on this point, his working with New Son's kinetic powers actually makes him much more powerful, so for selfish reasons I can see him being a team player.

* Kang has faced New Sun before. Based on that battle, Kang will be able to whip something up (such as a power inhibitor) to take this alternate reality Gambit down quickly and efficiently. This will be Kang’s first priority and New Sun doesn’t have the wits or the resources to evade being pulled into a battle with the Conqueror.

New Sun can charge and blow things up on sight, so anything Kang has against him can be destroyed before it ever touches him, and his flying can also help in that. But the main thing here is that I disagree with New Sun not having the wits to evade a fight with Conqueror. Gambit's a very resourceful and sly fellow and New Sun was just the same. But the main thing here is that he doesn't really need to as he has already challenged Kang in this tournament and knows what he's capable. Distance is the way to go as he can have some devistating assaults if needed.

* Damask’s powers are suited only to hand-to-hand combat. She can’t reach the Wizard up in the air (as he is wont to fly around), and he can just send one of his anti-gravity disks to her, have it latch onto her and send her into the atmosphere.

Not true. Her most deadly form of attack is the mental skinning, which is an energy mental chain that reaches out over short distances, including upward. And the Wizard does typically fly but not at great hieghts. He's perfectly well within range, though the lower she can course him the better, and she's a resourceful girl. As I said in my write up, the Age of Apocalypse was a world dominated by "Survival of the Fittest" and being that most everyone had some type of superpower and she not only survived but fought her way up to Apocalypse's elite assassin group... she has what it takes to take on the Wizard, or at least to get him low enough for a mental skinning.

And that's all I'll mention. The rest are circumstantial and could go either way 50/50 I think... though I believe that in my write up I've shown well enough as to why that 50 will swing in the favor of...

Winner - THE ODD ALLIANCE

I'll keep my rebuttal to this: you're overestimating Damask and underestimating the Wizard. This is a guy that regularly takes on the Fantastic Four. As to your contention that Shadow-Thief and Gentleman Ghost should be able to touch each other: I'd agree if it the Ghost wasn't a real ghost. We've seen phased humans fight each other, but the Gentleman is a wholly different bag. You either need to catch him off guard, use Nth metal or have royal blood to touch him.

And for my rebuttal of your rebuttal:

In regards to your comment on Ghost... you may be right, I don't really know. But if he can be hit by surprise I have enough people who can do that to take care of the issue.

Wizard can take on the Fantastic Four, yes, but he also knows all about them, as well as others he's familiar with. If he can plan for these people he can make his gloves and disks and such equipped to handle them, but Damask is a complete mystery to him and to the rest of the team. Not knowing what to expect from her will be her advantage. She isn't obvious in any way, her powers aren't obvious, her name isn't obvious, she's just a woman who may be carrying knives. As for her Survival skills to get him close enough to mentally skin, that was the whole point of the Age of Apocalypse... Survival of the Fittest, and she survived and impressed the right people enough to become part of Apocalypse's hit squad reporting to him directly. I say she's got what it takes to survive and get Wizard where she needs him. Not to mention he's a big enough name to where Xavier would know who he is so she should have a better idea how to handle him from the get go.

Winner - Odd Alliance

My rebuttal is solely this: I think that it would take a lot more than just Barry saying "We're teammates." to get the Flash and a Rogue to team up with each other. Yes, the Rogues on occasion have helped out Barry or Wally, but usually for good reason other than just because.

Rebuttle uno

I actually don't have too much problem with how things played out given those matchups, except for one thing. Not one is it awfully convenient of Rulk to land on Exodus (who could have just teleported over to help Atom), but giving him a red ring would bump him up to tuber levels. I actually looked at both lineups to see if anyone could use a red ring, but realized that no one could without getting a rank upgrade to at least uber.

I also don't think matchups will work out quite that way. With Exodus' teleportation, wherever the Manhunter goes, Exodus can be there. So it's not going to be easy to switch up who the ubers are fighting.

And with Proctor's teleportation, he's the natural (and pretty much only) choice to go after Zauriel and his air attacks. And Pete is best suited for keeping his spidey-senses on alert against Psylocke's teleportation. Yes, if Brock gets to Pete, he can drain him. But Blue will be tasked with taking on Brock because Pete will be busy against Psylocke.

Rebuttle uno

I actually don't have too much problem with how things played out given those matchups, except for one thing. Not one is it awfully convenient of Rulk to land on Exodus (who could have just teleported over to help Atom), but giving him a red ring would bump him up to tuber levels. I actually looked at both lineups to see if anyone could use a red ring, but realized that no one could without getting a rank upgrade to at least uber.

I also don't think matchups will work out quite that way. With Exodus' teleportation, wherever the Manhunter goes, Exodus can be there. So it's not going to be easy to switch up who the ubers are fighting.

And with Proctor's teleportation, he's the natural (and pretty much only) choice to go after Zauriel and his air attacks. And Pete is best suited for keeping his spidey-senses on alert against Psylocke's teleportation. Yes, if Brock gets to Pete, he can drain him. But Blue will be tasked with taking on Brock because Pete will be busy against Psylocke.

I wouldnt have said that Rulk with a red ring would be Tuber...he's still the same power levels he's just angrier...I chose the line ups purely on my plan for how the battle was going to end...

And I thought the whole debate with Proctor was he didnt actually have a decent form of teleporting. Boy blue I saw as a problem because I wasnt aware of his mannerisms...

I mean your battle strategy is always going to be different to mine but still I think my way was believable and I dont think Rulk wouldve been pushed to Tuber...but thats just me...

The Ringers - 7
The Bad News Byrds - 5

The Odd Alliance - 7
JailBait - 6

The Odd Alliance 7
Jailbait 8

(Both are great writeups despite the different lengths. I just think the edge the planet gives Fernus, and the Ghost's natural edge, just barely squeezes out New Son's edge. Still, a very hard choice. I knew one was getting the 7, the other the 8, and it took a while to figure it out.)

The Ringers 6
The Bad News Byrds 5

(Solid writeups all around. Flash and Weather Wizard could go either way. And Kara is stronger the Clark, but not sure about Red Son, and neither wrote her that way anyway. I think the team of Stark and Brainiac will be a little too much.)

Heroes of The New Age - 6
Chaos & Order -7

The Odd Alliance - 7
Jailbait -6

Chaos & Order -8
Heroes of The New Age - 6

The Odd Alliance - 6
Jailbait -8

The Ringers 6
The Bad News Byrds 7

Heroes of the New Age 8
Chaos & Order 7