Dumb Question About Lost

AgentGraves!

Civilian
Reaction score
Okay, I am a big fan of lost...shh don't tell no body. anyways. so I picked up this book Island By Aldous Huxley for some research I've been doing about Utopian societies. and as it turns out within the three chapters there are some very HEAVY HEAVY mirrors to Lost, despite that the show was created in 2004 and Island was written in 1967.

as in the first chapter. a man wakes up in the middle of a jungle on an island.
in the third chapter he admits that his father is a drunk.

so far the main character seems to be very much like JACK.

Now here I am hoping that maybe someone whom has read this book and is also a fan of lost can tell me is it possible that reading this book could ruin Lost for me - even though they are two different takes.

I just fear that perhaps the show is a loose,loose adaptation of the book and will stand relieved at shows end.

The Lost producers have never even tried to deny they use ideas from other books and such. You may have just stumbled on one of their inspirations.

Watch Lost 2.0 on G4. They have little pop-ups about the writer's inspirations in each episode. I think in "Left Behind" it had a lot of Charles Dickens references.

I don't know, but I am pretty sure Reading The Dark Tower Series spoils a lot of LOST.

JJ indicated that book was a key source. Nothing is ever that original anymore ...

The Stand by Stephen King
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Watchmen

These are just a few literary sources that Lost has referenced in the past four seasons.

And why wouldnt you want anyone to know you were a Lost fan? You should be proud...

so far in the book:

+Man wakes up in jungle of an mysterious island.
+Man comes across "Locals"
+Man discovers a talking bird.
+Man admits his father is a drunk, when it's admitted "Locals" raise eye brow
+It's discovered that there are mysterious "Hatches" on the island
+It is also discovered that there very well may be a "Darmah" like group on the island.
+Flashbacks are frequent.

I just hope that by getting to the end and then waiting a year or two for LOST to end and find out that the ending of this book which seem to have a near perfect reflection of LOST is the same as the Season 6 Ending of Lost.

You know what I mean?

I have been reading most of the books that are suggested and what not in regards of the show...once I finished all the clearer ones I caught wind of this book which the Sub that Locke blows sky high is named after the island in the book Pala - or was it the dock that the sub was anchored?

I have this fear that they somehow have gotten the rights to the book and are doing their spin on the book - expanding it beyond what it is souly because it works better as a stretched out tv show more than anything else. - other than the book of course.

I don't know. - It sucking me in It's a really really good read. I find my self having a hard time putting it down. But I must until I get some sort of definitive answer that they haven't got the rights or sware that they are not keeping the book close to the vest because of the heavy heavy tie in. thing.

or I could just be paranoid.

which wouldn't surprise me.

It certainly sounds alot like many of the events in the show, thats for sure. I definitely plan on reading this "Island" book now though :up:
The Stand by Stephen King
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Watchmen

These are just a few literary sources that Lost has referenced in the past four seasons.

And why wouldnt you want anyone to know you were a Lost fan? You should be proud...

When did they reference Watchmen?? I'm a huge Lost fan and I feel I would have remembered that.

When did they reference Watchmen?? I'm a huge Lost fan and I feel I would have remembered that.

It wasnt a huge reference to the book itself, like Sawyer sitting on the beach reading Watchmen, but alot of fans have drawn parallels between Doctor Manhattan's story and what happens to Desmond after the hatch implosion. Damon Lindelof (who is a huge fan of Watchmen) also stated that Watchmen sort of influenced the way Lost is structured, with the flashbacks and stuff.

More here...
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Watchmen

It wasnt a huge reference to the book itself, like Sawyer sitting on the beach reading Watchmen, but alot of fans have drawn parallels between Doctor Manhattan's story and what happens to Desmond after the hatch implosion. Damon Lindelof (who is a huge fan of Watchmen) also stated that Watchmen sort of influenced the way Lost is structured, with the flashbacks and stuff.

Ahhh thats true, interesting.

I really need to get the dvds because I don't remember the hatch implosion. Which season was that?

Although season three is the most interesting part of the hatch implosion... that season two finale just mind rapes you and says, "See you next year."

Although season three is the most interesting part of the hatch implosion... that season two finale just mind rapes you and says, "See you next year."

ahh yes. I remember the mind rape. It left me feeling cold and violated...:csad:

The love triangle is captured by the Others... Locke/Eko/Desmond are MIA assumed KIA because the place they were just IMPLODED... the sky turned a different color... there was a scene for the first time in the show that was in real time and not on the island.... then guess what.... SEASON'S OVER! See you next year!

:csad: I loved/hated that finale until season three's finale.... then season four's... damn you Lost. Damn you.

the last scene of the season 3 finale blew me away. Same with season 4 finale.

A Lost finale has never made me want to stop watching the show. :up:

Agreed, I think Season 4's finale was the "weakest" of the finale's though. Season 3's finale knocked my socks off, but season 2 I think still takes the cake; 4-toed statue,jack and the gang captured, hatch implosion, and "We found it." I remember just being like "woah" when it ended.

Agreed, I think Season 4's finale was the "weakest" of the finale's though. Season 3's finale knocked my socks off, but season 2 I think still takes the cake; 4-toed statue,jack and the gang captured, hatch implosion, and "We found it." I remember just being like "woah" when it ended.

I'd take 'weak' Lost over many of the shows on nowadays... :up:

I totally agree, hence the quote un-quote :up:

:up:

The only reason Lost being good is a bad thing.... I had to deal with my roommate much more when I was just randomly watching the dvds because he got hooked on Lostics.... it sucked.

Even the weakest episodes are better than most shows on tv right now

I'm addicted to you, LOST!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"