E3 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony just came out saying that used game DRM will be up to the publishers as opposed to making it mandatory like Microsoft is doing and will be supporting used games like normal depending on the publisher. So basically expect EA and Ubisoft to act like a bunch of asshats while Activision and Take-Two support adding more value to their games.

When did they announce that? Isnt that still rumor at this point. Its believed thats how DRM on PS4 will be handled, Sony hasnt confirmed that though. At least none of the major gaming sites are reporting that.

Also when has Activision ever added more "value" to their games. Take Two maybe, but Activision? You do realize thats the company run by the guy who said he'd charge even more for games if he could right?

I decided to only do one this year.

cFG3GzHl.png

E3bingo.jpg

There's my bag.

Funnily enough the last time I used Photobucket was to upload last year's E3 bingo.

SonyE3bingo.jpg

Last edited:
Sony just came out saying that used game DRM will be up to the publishers as opposed to making it mandatory like Microsoft is doing and will be supporting used games like normal depending on the publisher. So basically expect EA and Ubisoft to act like a bunch of asshats while Activision and Take-Two support adding more value to their games.
Good move. Microsoft is just losing this PR war at the moment. I don't know if they can come out of this looking ok now. Even if they were to reverse their policies they would look worse than Sony while ending with the same policy. I think they have to stick with the used game fee now but give much more of it to publishers so that their interests are more aligned.

I decided to only do one this year.
Haha, this bingo stuff looks like fun. I want to do one!

Can't believe E3 is so close now!

Last edited:
11TH-13TH?! Crap! I thought it was THIS week... Ugh...

Guess I won't get to watch it all vacation long like I planned.

I'm just eager to see Sony's conference next Monday. And maybe Ubisoft's conference, since they'll most likely show off some gameplay for AC4 and more stuff from Watch Dogs and Splinter Cell, which are three of the games that I'm keeping my eyes on.

I really want to make one of those Bingo predictions, but I don't really have too many. At the end of the day, all I really care about is what Sony announces with the PS4 and how it relates to the Vita. I'm really hoping for a price and release date.

When did they announce that? Isnt that still rumor at this point. Its believed thats how DRM on PS4 will be handled, Sony hasnt confirmed that though. At least none of the major gaming sites are reporting that.
Shuhei Yoshida stated that it would be up to the publisher:
http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-...-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection

Also when has Activision ever added more "value" to their games. Take Two maybe, but Activision? You do realize thats the company run by the guy who said he'd charge even more for games if he could right?
I have admire Kotick. At least he's upfront about his company's money making ambitions as opposed to pretending to be the gamer's best friend while actually screwing them up the ass like Riccitello did.

But Kotick is also a rather smart guy. He understands the consumer in regards to the used game market and in the end has Activision support the used game market as opposed to suppressing it. And by more value, he considers adding DLC as the value added to their games. Instead of trying to implement online passes which he sees as simply angering the consumer and really does nothing to address the used games market, Activision views DLC as a way for gamers to keep their games as opposed to having them enter the used game market.

I wonder if Kotick was using all that knowledge about not angering consumers when Activision raised the RRP of Call of Duty by £5 over any other console game in the UK.

So what are the times for all of the Conferences Florida time ? & will we be able to watch them with the IGN / GameTrailers apps ?

Oh good. Odd they arent being more open about that with all the s**t MS is taking.

I have admire Kotick. At least he's upfront about his company's money making ambitions as opposed to pretending to be the gamer's best friend while actually screwing them up the ass like Riccitello did.

But Kotick is also a rather smart guy. He understands the consumer in regards to the used game market and in the end has Activision support the used game market as opposed to suppressing it. And by more value, he considers adding DLC as the value added to their games. Instead of trying to implement online passes which he sees as simply angering the consumer and really does nothing to address the used games market, Activision views DLC as a way for gamers to keep their games as opposed to having them enter the used game market.

I think you give him too much credit. He stumbled into an incredible situation. Hell people like him almost shot CoD in the foot. IW was ready to push CoD into the modern era and Kotick and his people tried to tell them not to do that. He got lucky that CoD 4:MW took off the way it did, then he just forced IW and Treyarch to keep making CoD games while at the same time he was figuring out how not to pay them for their work. He hasnt had to go up against the used game market because the game he basically stumbled into just happens to be the most played MP title on consoles. CoD itself battles the used game market, its nothing Kotick has done. How many new, unlicensed IP's is Activision responsible for this gen?

I think you give him too much credit. He stumbled into an incredible situation. Hell people like him almost shot CoD in the foot. IW was ready to push CoD into the modern era and Kotick and his people tried to tell them not to do that. He got lucky that CoD 4:MW took off the way it did, then he just forced IW and Treyarch to keep making CoD games while at the same time he was figuring out how not to pay them for their work. He hasnt had to go up against the used game market because the game he basically stumbled into just happens to be the most played MP title on consoles. CoD itself battles the used game market, its nothing Kotick has done. How many new, unlicensed IP's is Activision responsible for this gen?
The only problem I think with the Kotick regime at Activision is that Activision has milked dry far too many IPs to the point where they aren't sellable anymore like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk. Skylanders is bound to end up in that same route, especially with Disney Infinity along the way. They really need to broaden their active IP portfolio to prep themselves up with the possibility if Call of Duty and World of Warcraft come crashing down. Acquiring Take-Two and Zynga would be great moves IMO.

However, even though Activision isn't one of the most creative studios out there, they're still one of the smarter run gaming publishers. Unlike EA, Activision knows that the used games market helps them as opposed to adopting this fiction that it hurts them. They make smart publishing deals with developers like Bungie. They're at least open and honest about their intentions (making money). And they know when something doesn't work as opposed to them constantly trying to go at it and failing miserably.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...rtedly-Leaked--Includes-Fable-IV--Halo-5.html
Microsoft's E3 Slate Reportedly Leaked, Includes Fable IV, Halo 5
Written Monday, June 03, 2013 By Richard Walker

Microsoft could be looking to make a whole bunch of potentially huge announcements at E3 2013 next week if a leaked screengrab of the platform-holder's schedule for the show turns out to be kosher.
Spotted by a forumite on NeoGAF, the image is of unknown origin, so could well be fake. But given that some of the listed games are real and have been formerly announced, it could equally be the real deal.
In the image, you'll see Forza Motorsport 5 and Quantum Break, which have previously been announced for Xbox One. There's also Halo: Spartan Assault, which we happen to know is an actual thing. Come back tomorrow for answers on that one.
Banjo-Kazooie, Halo 5, Dead Rising 3 and Fable IV also feature in the image, indicating that if the picture is real, Microsoft could be gearing up for a barnstorming E3 presser. Here's the list of games according to the NeoGAF post:

• Halo 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty Land
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Quantum Break
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Ryse
  • Fable IV
  • Crackdown 3
  • Fortnite
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Battlefield 4
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Dying Light
  • Prey 2
  • Homefront 2
  • Beyond Good & Evil 2
  • Mirror's Edge 2
  • Rainbow 6: Patriots
  • Brother in Arms: Furious Four
  • League of Legends

I would be surprised if Microsoft revitalized Crackdown and Banjo-Kazooie.

Think that list might already have been shown to be fake but I'll leave it up as it's interesting for speculation anyway.

I'd be super happy with that list, but a couple of things make me doubt it. Firstly, Halo 5 being revealed just half a year after the last entry. Obviously more is on the way but it's too soon to reveal it right now, I think.

Then there's Battlefield 4 and Ghosts appearing on the same stage, which I reeeeeeally don't think is going to be happening any time soon.

And, unless either Banjo or Killer Instinct is a Kinect title (which is likely, I guess), there's no Kinect game from Microsoft's premier Kinect studio. Actually there isn't anything there that really screams Kinect at all.

EDIT: OH, and the Gaf thread shows the Banjo logo to be fake.

Last edited:
Rats. I just checked the dates and realized I will be working those days.

Updated the OP with a chart showing the press conference start times for each time zone.

Good move. Microsoft is just losing this PR war at the moment. I don't know if they can come out of this looking ok now. Even if they were to reverse their policies they would look worse than Sony while ending with the same policy. I think they have to stick with the used game fee now but give much more of it to publishers so that their interests are more aligned.

I believe hippie hunters talking about this

but they said the same vegue statem to GI as last time with the very same words . so this isn't really comfirmation. well at least from GI any way Hippie I'd love to know where you saw them say this too. that would be cool.

oh I almost missed this, ok never mind. But that's about "registering a game" though right? the used game stuff could still not fully apply here isn't it possible? Ok I'm worrying too much. I'm sure it'll be made clearer at E3 any way.

Last edited:
I believe hippie hunters talking about this

but they said the same vegue statem to GI as last time with the very same words . so this isn't really comfirmation. well at least from GI any way Hippie I'd love to know where you saw them say this too. that would be cool.

oh I almost missed this, ok never mind. But that's about "registering a game" though right? the used game stuff could still not fully apply here isn't it possible? Ok I'm worrying too much. I'm sure it'll be made clearer at E3 any way.

Third parties technically could block their own pre-owned games on PS3 if they wanted and make their offline games require an online connection. Right now publishers have resorted to blocking the online portions of used games until the online pass fee is paid.

There are some edge cases where Capcom requires an internet connection in order to play their offline digital titles on PSN, though. Atlus is one of the companies that has region-locked a game on PS3 (Persona 4 Arena).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...nues-Online-DRM-Scheme-for-Offline-PSN-Titles
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/06/atlus-explains-persona-4-arenas-region-lock-expresses-surprise/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back