EA to develop Star Wars games

Yea, that was brought up in the gaming lounge. That can only mean good things for whatever game is in development.

wonder what type of games they will develop??

DICE is making Battlefront. Bioware is probably making an RPG. Visceral isn't quite as clear, but I think it will probably be some kind of action-adventure.

DICE is making Battlefront. Bioware is probably making an RPG. Visceral isn't quite as clear, but I think it will probably be some kind of action-adventure.

I just hope its not Star Wars: Episode VII: The Game.

I thought they said the games won't be based on the films.......

I really hope they show off some Battlefront at E3!

Same here, I doubt it will be that though.

Yea I wouldn't think it would considering how movie games have fallen out of favor with studios, but it's EA, they're quite good at making stupid decisions.

They scrapped 1313 (which, there was probably good reason) but I wouldn't mind still getting a Boba Fett game.. Maybe done by Visceral.

Well they still have plans for a Boba Fett Spin-off film. The one that Kasdan apparently started in early 2013. However, it may have been delayed some. But I think if they did one, it may be around that time. If they do it at all. But I'm sure some day in the future we will get one.

They scrapped 1313 (which, there was probably good reason) but I wouldn't mind still getting a Boba Fett game.. Maybe done by Visceral.

There's such a fascinating obsession of 1313. It's like a mythological 'what if' though I'm sure the game would've been mediocre..knowing the problems that plauged the production and the state of Lucasarts at the time.

It was a cool tech demo I guess, but yeah, I had zero faith in Lucasarts to deliver on whatever it was people saw in that tech demo.

Exactly. Even with the demo, it was radically changed when Lucas wanted Boba Fett to be the lead character instead of those two (generic) dudes.

I agree.

To go off of what I said yesterday, Lucasarts has not made a good game in house since 1998.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=28373659&postcount=39

I don't know that I would agree with that.

• Episode I Racer
  • Star Wars Racer Arcade
  • Starfighter
  • Jedi Starfighter
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Gladius
  • Republic Commando

Those were developed solely by Lucasarts, and if you want to include games that they co-developed:

• Battle for Naboo
  • Galactic Battlegrounds
  • Rogue Squadron II
  • The Force Unleashed

Those aren't all of the games they developed (or helped develop), but I think most of those people would look at them and say at least, "Yeah, that was alright."

Last edited:
I don't know that I would agree with that.

• [*]Episode I Racer
    [*]Star Wars Racer Arcade

[*]Starfighter
    [*]Jedi Starfighter
    [*]Bounty Hunter
    [*]Gladius
  • Republic Commando

Those were developed solely by Lucasarts, and if you want to include games that they co-developed:

• Battle for Naboo
  • Galactic Battlegrounds
  • Rogue Squadron II
  • The Force Unleashed

Those aren't all of the games they developed (or helped develop), but I think most of those people would look at and say at least, "Yeah, that was alright."

I don't include games they co-developed because they had more talented teams working with them. It's why I won't include games like KOTOR etc. Thier purely in house games have been meh, to bleh.

Starfighter I would say was good, and Republic Commando had it's moments. But the rest, I thought were just okay to bad. You also had Obi-Wan, that was just...so bad. And especially comparing to the games they made in the 90's, they made classics left and right, even outside of the SW universe. But in the early 2000's with games like Gladius (I never cared for it) and Starfighter/Republic Commando were the last of their okay games to come out. After that I just felt it nose dived.

In the early 2000's when they turned to working with other devs, that was smart. I felt after 1998, they took a step down, and after 2005 it just got worse. I mean reading that Game Informer expose on LucasArts and it's downfall, it's sad how it all just continued to get worse.

EDIT: Again I don't include the ones that worked with other devs. I mean Lucas Arts worked with BioWare to create the best SW game of them all, KOTOR. Same with Raven, Pandemic, and Ensemble, which is kinda my point, it works better when they farm out to other devs to make better games. Rouge Leader is still one of my favorite SW/GC games, but it's not an in house product from Lucas Arts, it was mainly just Factor 5.

Last edited:
Not shocking, but the game Visceral is working on is a Third Person Action-Adventure.

By now we all know that former Naughty Dog Creative Director Amy Hennig joined Dead Space developer Visceral Games to work in the same capacity on an upcoming Star Wars title, and two career opportunity ads seeking a Senior Design Director and a Senior Art Director have popped up, giving us more information on what said game might entail.
Here’s an excerpt from both posts:

EA is looking for an experienced Game Design Director to help lead the design and guide a team to develop a third-person action/adventure Star Wars title. You will be working closely with the creative director and studio leadership during the production, launch and live operations of the game.

Electronic Arts is seeking a Senior Art Director to lead the art direction efforts for a new Star Wars title. As a Sr. Art Director, you are responsible for the visual quality, bringing the team under a consistent and unified direction and utilizing ground breaking techniques and tools.

Working closely with the Game Director, Executive Producer, Art Directors and Producers, the Sr. Art Director will define the game’s visual direction using cutting edge techniques from film and games to deliver unprecedented visuals for our product.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...ion-adventure-and-have-unprecedented-visuals/

Cool. I wonder if we will get any teaser trailers for this and Bioware's SW games at this years E3? Cuz I'm crossing my fingers for gameplay footage for Battlefront.

Cool. I wonder if we will get any teaser trailers for this and Bioware's SW games at this years E3? Cuz I'm crossing my fingers for gameplay footage for Battlefront.

I think its very possible. I could see EA introducing some kind of sizzle reel trailer for those other projects ending with a bit of gameplay for Battlefront.

I imagine we'll see Battlefront again, I don't know about Bioware's thing though. They've still got Dragon Age to promote, and they've been starting to talk about the next Mass Effect, so I have to imagine that's next for them. On top of that, they've talked about how they're deep in development of their new next-gen IP. The only thing I could see them showing is a short teaser like the one for Battlefront, and I'm not even expecting that.

Exactly. Even with the demo, it was radically changed when Lucas wanted Boba Fett to be the lead character instead of those two (generic) dudes.

I thought it was said from the beginning that those 2 guys weren't gonna be a part of the game?

Halfway throughout the development, Lucas wanted Boba Fett to be the lead and conceptionally the developers had to change almost everything, which costs money and time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"