Enola Holmes | Netflix

So this was super breezy and fun and Millie Bobby Brown is delightful.

Henry Cavill is so miscast as Sherlock Holmes though. That’s a Benedict Cumberbatch kind of part (not just because he’s literally played it before) not a Henry Cavill one.

There's a hyper-intelligence to Sherlock that RDJ, Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller have all sold, which Cavill...does not.

There's a hyper-intelligence to Sherlock that RDJ, Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller have all sold, which Cavill...does not.

Exactly. Sherlock is a neurotic, abrasive, anti-social, hyper-intelligent intellectual. Which describes half the characters on Cumberbatch’s filmography. And RDJ can do that too.

Cavill doesn’t say any of that. He says hunky action hero. And is waaaaaay too laidback and easygoing and openly warm and just.....not Sherlock Holmes. At all.

I think this only has “Holmes” in the title so that they can sell the name, cause as others have pointed out, Cavill is so far removed from Sherlock Holmes, it’d be better if he was playing some other genius detective whose niece we follow.

This would’ve been better as an original property called Enola.

Eh, I thought Cavill was fine. I thought he had some really nice moments with Millie and while he was definitely the warmest Sherlock I’ve seen, he still displayed a good bit of that trademark pomposity in the police station scene and when he was interrogating the jiu-jitsu instructor. Maybe in a sequel they’ll play up more of his neurotic tendencies but I think here they were trying to contrast him with Mycroft, who was generally just an A-hole (which Claflin played perfectly).

I enjoyed Cavill in the role as well, especially his scenes with Millie Bobby Brown and Sam Claflin which I wish we got way more of in this movie. His Sherlock didn't really get his time to shine, but it makes sense considering this wasn't his movie. I honestly found it way harder to believe that Helena Bonham Carter was supposed to be mother of Millie, Cavill and Claflin and I know she's in her 50's, but man I really think that role needed an older actress in it in order for me to completely buy it, although maybe that's just me.

Yeah, at the end, you’re supposed to like him (and kinda loathe Mycroft). That might not have worked had they also made Sherlock an arrogant jerk.

I think the Sherlock character they created for this movie works better than the "traditional" neurotic version.

Again, why call him Sherlock then? (other than to cash in on the name recognition). Call him Herman, charming detective extraordinaire.

Again, this could be a great original property. But I get it, IP recognition and all that.

I think a character that is over a hundred years old, and is the most portrayed character in media, that it is okay that there are variations.

I can't wait for comic characters to enter public domain. The fandom will be really fun.

Again, why call him Sherlock then? (other than to cash in on the name recognition). Call him Herman, charming detective extraordinaire.

Again, this could be a great original property. But I get it, IP recognition and all that.

They’d have had to go against the source material.

I think the Sherlock character they created for this movie works better than the "traditional" neurotic version.

First off, people really need to stop treating these characters as being created for this movie. They're based on a series of books. Second, as I mentioned before, it's established early on that this Sherlock is fairly early in his career. Newspaper articles refer to him as the "young detective". He hasn't dabbled into drugs yet (the ITV series from '84 - '94 went into that much deeper than anything else), there's no Watson. Or even a hat. If asked, I hope Cavill loses some weight. Oh and if I've understood correctly, this wasn't the only time Enola outsmarts Sherlock in the books.

Yeah it really depends on how Sherlock is written in the Enola book series. If Cavill acted like how Sherlock is written in the Enola books then I don’t see the problem. The complaint should be taken up with the author then.

I think a character that is over a hundred years old, and is the most portrayed character in media, that it is okay that there are variations.

I can't wait for comic characters to enter public domain. The fandom will be really fun.
With the way copyright laws are set up hell will freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, and get a time share program before DC or Marvel characters enter the public domain.

Yeah it really depends on how Sherlock is written in the Enola book series. If Cavill acted like how Sherlock is written in the Enola books then I don’t see the problem. The complaint should be taken up with the author then.

Yeah I haven’t read the books but the author got sued for making Sherlock too warm and friendly so I’m guessing this sticks pretty close to how she wrote him.

Yeah I haven’t read the books but the author got sued for making Sherlock too warm and friendly so I’m guessing this sticks pretty close to how she wrote him.

I wouldn't go that far. The lawsuit is over different kind of issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"