Enter the Dragon remake by Kurt Sutter

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
It's happening guys. Holy **** these are some shoes to fill. Too bad Jason Scott Lee is too old now...right? This is a tough one but I'll keep my mind open to it. The director will make or break this film.

DRAGON
Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

I recently closed a deal to write and direct a remake of Bruce Lee's, ENTER THE DRAGON. It's for Warner Independent, John Wells is producing. The working title is Awaken the Dragon. It's not a prequel or a sequel; it's a Film Noir re-invention that brings the narrative into modern day. I know that this will piss off some diehard fans of the original. Inspiring the "If it ain't broke why fix it?" rant. I respect that. The original is a fun movie to watch and really established Lee as a force of nature. But truthfully, there's only a shell of a story in the 1973 movie. It's mostly about getting Lee (the character's name also), Roper (John Saxon) and Williams (Jim Kelley) to the mysterious island to kick some rogue Shaolin ass.

I'm a huge Film Noir fan. Spent most of my senior year at Rutgers in the dark watching Fritz Lang films. I've been looking for a project to write and direct where I could use the storytelling devices of Noir and bring a contemporary Noir style to the screen. I pitched several projects. One of them, Constantine 2 for Weed Road and Warners. That pitch bombed -- it was a bit too dark and ugly for them. Next was as original idea -- can't really go into detail about it because there's a very similar project currently being developed.

But it was actually WIP who proposed the idea of a Film Noir twist on Dragon. I read the one-sheet and was thrilled. I watched the original, dove into my vast Noir catalog and spun an idea that everyone seemed to like. My story follows a lone FBI agent who pursues a rogue Shaolin Monk into the bloody world of underground martial art fight clubs. Redemption and letting go of the wreckage of our past are the themes that figure prominently. There will be nothing stylized or choreographed in this movie, the look is minimalist and the action is raw. It will expose the brutality of Shaolin Kung Fu, showing the fighting style in it's most vicious and deadly form. It'll be more Raging Bull, than Crouching Tiger.

I'm finishing up this Paramount project, Inland Saints this month and probably my last Shield script ever (how sad is that?), then I'll enter into Dragon.

-Kurt Sutter

Go for it Kurt!!! You're gonna get a lot of whining and worrying on this one.

Source:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...riendID=102647387&blogID=297781562&indicate=1

If it happens then Stephen Chow should be involved

WIP and Sutter to Awaken the Dragon

Source: Variety
August 10, 2007

Warner Independent Pictures has set "The Shield" executive producer Kurt Sutter to write and make his feature directing debut on Awaken the Dragon.

The noir-style remake of Enter the Dragon, the 1973 martial arts classic that made Bruce Lee a global star, will be produced by John Wells, Fred Weintraub and Paul Heller.

Sutter said he's writing Awaken the Dragon as a contemporized drama about a lone FBI agent who pursues a rogue Shaolin monk into the bloody world of underground martial arts fight clubs.

The original film starred Lee as a martial artist who's drafted by law enforcement to participate in a martial arts tournament and infiltrate a drug smuggling operation run from the host's heavily guarded island.

"I'm a huge noir fan, and this plot lends itself to the film I want to make," Sutter said. "I wanted to set it in these underground fight clubs where the action is really raw and expose the brutality of Shaolin kung fu. This will be more 'Raging Bull' than 'Crouching Tiger' in its viciousness."

Sutter will look to discover a fight star in the role of the monk and cast an established American actor to play the FBI agent.

a little more above

Ugh. Why does Hollywood feel the need to remake every damned movie?!

that actually sounds different enough from Enter the Dragon to be it's own movie. why don't they just title it as something else? it sounds really interesting in and of itself.

This is crazy.

Enter the Dragon was just a vehicle for Bruce Lee. Crap story, crap acting, lame directing.

This is crazy.

Enter the Dragon was just a vehicle for Bruce Lee. Crap story, crap acting, lame directing.

Which is why he is changing the plot and time frame and the title of the movie.

Which is why he is changing the plot and time frame and the title of the movie.

Seems like all that is really changing is the time period, and I doubt the studio will let the marketable name of 'Enter the Dragon' slip through their fingers.

Update from Kurt:

There's already a lot of noise from the Martial Arts fan-base about Awaken the Dragon. As I knew there would be. I'm sort of used to it after the ass-drilling my script got from pissed off Punisher fans. (At least that seems to have settled down with the latest developments on that project. Until the movie comes out and people start looking for a head to spike.) Anyway. Here's the deal, I believe that no one should REMAKE Enter the Dragon. Period. Yes, you could beef up the narrative, improve the production value, but what's the point? It will never be the original. No one will ever fill Bruce Lee's mocs. The guy wasn't ****ing human. He was deadly poetry (not quite sure what that means, but it sounds cool).

That said, I do believe that we are allowed to be "inspired by" classis films. As a writer/director, it's my job to use my creative instincts to invent, imagine, re-invent and re-imagine. All artists from Rembrandt to Hockney have been inspired by the work of other artists and have re-imagined great works. Picasso's variations on Velazquez's Las Meninas comes to mind. Relax; I'm not comparing myself to the masters, just making a ****ing point. It's what we do. It's what I get paid to do. It's what I love to do.

Re-invention is Hollywood speak for -- let's do something completely different yet still capitalize on the name of the original project. That's not a bad thing, that's just the reality. Warners owns the title so they are going to use it to market the movie. Suits gotta put asses in seats if creatives wanna keep making movies. Basic economics, baby. You wanna keep buying those Golden Era Captain Americas on E-bay, you gotta put in some overtime at the office.

With this Dragon re-invention, I hope to pay homage to the original with some story parallels and yes, hopefully, some cameos. But it is not a prequel, sequel, trequel, or a ****ing equal. It's a new movie, inspired by the old. Using Noir devices allows me to tell a different story and create a totally different visual experience. It will not feel like a typical martial arts film. It will be a distinct movie experience. People will either dig it and clamor for more, or hunt me down and numchuk my white-ass bloody. Right now, both sound exhilarating. More to come.

-Kurt Sutter

Sounds interesting to me... for now.

Im really looking forward to this movie, especially since Sutter is going for the noir. The original really was just a shell, there was no meat and no character development. Its going to be fun reading everyones complaints about this remake.

The fact Sutter is involved with The Shield gives me some interest.

I was gonna make this thread but i see AD has continued his rise as the king of the remake thread :D

This is crazy.

thank you.

other than bruce lee, everything could easily be updated in to a better movie, and i for one, thinks this sounds great.

I am not a fan so far, but I'll see how it plays out.

Who he gets as the established US actor in the FBI agent role is gonna be crucial, someone that can convince in this type of movie is not easy to come by.

For Bruce Lee's character I would actually like to see someone new/unheard of. Just because this was a major hit for Bruce Lee I just dont want to see them cast someone that looks like him for the sake of looking like him.

For the love of God I hope they don't cast some guy who can't fight and shake the camera around ad nauseum to hide it like they do in the Bourne movies.

I actually think this could be a good thing, not a remake, a reinvention. However the director's lack of experience does cause me to worry, however you've got to take risks on new blood to find any talent.

I'm on board, for now!

Sutter will look to discover a fight star in the role of the monk and cast an established American actor to play the FBI agent.

i don't mind the idea of Enter the Dragon being remade but i don't like the way they're trying to get an American actor for the role. the whole reason Enter the Dragon was made in the first place was for an asian male to be taken seriously as movie star......now they're saying they're trying to cast an established AMERICAN (most likely caucasian) as the main role. it kinda undermines the whole reason Enter the Dragon was made in the first place. it's kinda like Enter the Dragon with Roper (John Saxon) as the main character instead of Bruce Lee...

i don't mind the idea of Enter the Dragon being remade but i don't like the way they're trying to get an American actor for the role. the whole reason Enter the Dragon was made in the first place was for an asian male to be taken seriously as movie star......now they're saying they're trying to cast an established AMERICAN (most likely caucasian) as the main role. it kinda undermines the whole reason Enter the Dragon was made in the first place. it's kinda like Enter the Dragon with Roper (John Saxon) as the main character instead of Bruce Lee...

Actually Bruce Lee was American himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"