Episode 06: "Better Halves" discussion thread

Batman said:

WOOT.
icon10.gif

Batman, what about pics of the comics Micah was showing DL? The one of that guy, who was like a villain. and the one that everyone thinks looked like a kind of "Hulk like :hyper:" Nikki?

Cheapo FX, but it works within the overall drama.

Hulkfan said:
WOOT.
icon10.gif

Batman, what about pics of the comics Micah was showing DL? The one of that guy, who was like a villain. and the one that everyone thinks looked like a kind of "Hulk like :hyper:" Nikki?

moguy said:
I just hope the writers utilize a stronger explanation than purely destiny to explain all the coincidences. I really do love the show, but all these unexplained coincidences will eventually start to drag it down.

How exactly are they unexplained? We know how Hiro bumped into Nathan. Peter to Suresh. Nathan to Niki. Peter to Isaac. Nathan & Peter. Hiro to Peter, etc.

It's been explained how they came to run into one another.

Well that does retain the fact that DL phasing is really really advanced to be able to phase and keep an solid form simutaneously. So its most likely that hes able to reconstruct matter at a single touch around him. Thus causing the ripples that happens whenever hes entering into something like Nickis chest.

GhostPoet said:
Am I the only one that finds Niki to be a really interesting character? She's got two sides and the evil side seems to have the most control...and infact took control of her for a very short period of time just to SHOW her who is in control here...She's sadistic and selfish.
That's just it - Evil Nikki isn't selfish - Evil Nikki's motivations are to protect Micah and herself.

The reason she's considered evil is because she resorts to evil means to protect herself and Micah.

Like any mother would do, including me.

ragdus said:
How exactly are they unexplained? We know how Hiro bumped into Nathan. Peter to Suresh. Nathan to Niki. Peter to Isaac. Nathan & Peter. Hiro to Peter, etc.

It's been explained how they came to run into one another.

I hate to harp on the show, because I think that 95% of it is great and it is my favourite new show so far.

The meetings were "shown", but they certainly weren't "explained" in any way other than coincidence.
  • Out of the 10,000 cabs in New York, Peter hops into the one Suresh is driving.
  • Hiro ends up getting dumped in front of the same diner that Nathan flies down to. Hiro also happens to be the only one looking out the window at the time.
  • Hiro's buddy happens to be obsessed with Nikki (out of 1000's of possible webcam strippers)
  • Peter happens to be competing for Issac's girlfriend
  • Niki is blackmailed to sleep with Nathan
The list just goes on and on.

Statistically speaking (based on a liberal approximation of 1 powered person per 1,000,000 humans), each one of these meetings would still have an infintesimal possiblity of occurring.

So unless we have some higher force orchestrating events, or we have some other explanation to how powered individuals are drawn to each other, then I guess "destiny" will have to be the "explanation".

It's a little fustrating because I really like it when cast members first meet each other. It's a great dynamic. It's just the whole "destiny" explanation seems a little contrived.

This is the same sort of thing that drives me nuts in Lost. Although to be fair, it's season three of that show and I'm still watching.

Flame away!

Cheers,

Mo :)

didnt hero explain it a little more? saying its the spirit of the hero which gravitates them to where they are needed.

sc12een17am3 said:
didnt hero explain it a little more? saying its the spirit of the hero which gravitates them to where they are needed.

Well that would help explain some of the occurences (where someone is helped in some way).

AnimeJune said:
That's just it - Evil Nikki isn't selfish - Evil Nikki's motivations are to protect Micah and herself.

The reason she's considered evil is because she resorts to evil means to protect herself and Micah.

Ok, maybe selfish isn't the word...more like jealousy. I think evil Nikki just wants good Nikki and the kid to all be a "family" and that's it...no one else. No outsiders...

But I wonder how long before evil Nikki decides she should always be in control....for good Nikki's "safety"

Mohinder does the narration not Hiro.

Is it also a coincidences that they all have that symbol around them? I mean soon they are going to meet and Niki is going to be like "you painted the same symbol as my tatoo" and Claire will be all "I doodled that on my notebook" and the Hatian is gonna think "thats the same as my neckless" and Mohinder be all "no wai, thats on me fathers book" and future-hiro appears out of nowhere and is like "check out the symbol on my sword" and im goin be like "wtf?"

burning-robot said:
Mohinder does the narration not Hiro.

Is it also a coincidences that they all have that symbol around them? I mean soon they are going to meet and Niki is going to be like "you painted the same symbol as my tatoo" and Claire will be all "I doodled that on my notebook" and the Hatian is gonna think "thats the same as my neckless" and Mohinder be all "no wai, thats on me fathers book" and future-hiro appears out of nowhere and is like "check out the symbol on my sword" and im goin be like "wtf?"
wouldn't that be shweet?

...and then PLAS pops up and is all like "this is shweet" and im like "whatev"

GhostPoet said:
Ok, maybe selfish isn't the word...more like jealousy. I think evil Nikki just wants good Nikki and the kid to all be a "family" and that's it...no one else. No outsiders...

But I wonder how long before evil Nikki decides she should always be in control....for good Nikki's "safety"
Nah - I think Evil Nikki's smart enough to realise that she needs a girlish, submissive "front" to keep herself safe. If she always carried herself like a superstrong, unscrupulous, murderer, she would attract a whole lot more danger than if most of the world saw her as a struggling single mother just trying to make ends meet.

I just noticed inconsistencies in the Nikki / DL struggle. DL phases his right hand into Nikki's chest. The next shot is a close up of Nikki's pained face, and DL's right hand closes around her neck. The very next shot is back to showing DL's right hand still inside her chest, with neither hand anywhere near her neck. Then again a shot of Nikki's face, with DL's hand again around her neck, as she finally passes out.

AnimeJune said:

No - I think Evil Nikki (Jessica)'s intentions are to better herself. She uses Micah to manipulate Nikki - that is how she got Nikki to go for the money over DL.

Yeah, I'm not that enamoured with evil Nikki either... and while mothers may do almost anything to protect their children... ripping people to shreds or framing husbands aren't usually on the agenda.
I'm not convinced her motives are all that pure. She may be helping her better self just to stay ahead... they are sharing the same body, afterall.

Personally I don't find the Nikki/DL storyline all that exciting... at least not exciting enough to carry an entire episode. I'd rather see more of Matt minus the missus...

StorminNorman said:
No - I think Evil Nikki (Jessica)'s intentions are to better herself. She uses Micah to manipulate Nikki - that is how she got Nikki to go for the money over DL.
I have to disagree - that whole "Stay away from our son" line convinced me that she does have an interesting in keeping Micah safe.

Ah, this show seems to be getting better with every passing episode. I love this show :up:

I bet Future Hiro already watched the whole series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"