Batwoman Episode 1: "Pilot" (SPOILERS)

Rose is great with stunt work but subpar pretty much everywhere else. Her Batwoman voice is pretty bad, I think they should use a modulator like Oliver did in the past seasons of Arrow. Right now it sounds like she's trying to hard too disguise her voice. The supporting cast seems like actors who didn't pass the audition for the past DCCW shows so they were given this lol

Last edited:
I find myself not too overly critical of things such as an accent slip or a little rough delivery. I watch and see if I am entertained and pretty much just take it as it is. I watched when they played it again last night, and still enjoyed it so, unless it gets worse, I'm going to be tuning in. Which makes it three CW shows I'm watching, Supergirl, Flash and Batwoman.:D
Tbh I'm more concern with her flat delivery than her accent. She sounded bored when she did the narration.

I didn’t mind the narration. Still, I’m hoping this was a one-time device for the pilot. As we learned, the narration was actually journal entries that Kate was writing to Bruce. But now that she has (seemingly) finished with those, it might be best for the voiceovers to end too.

I just watched the first episode of Nancy Drew. And Nancy’s narration was a constant reminder that Veronica Mars did it better. :cwink:

Re: the voice:
After her fight with Alice I wasn’t sure if she was supposed to have suffered an injury to her jaw or if that was how her voice was all the time. I’m still not sure. Lol

Rose is great with stunt work but subpar pretty much everywhere else. Her Batwoman voice is pretty bad, I think they should use a modulator like Oliver did in the past seasons of Arrow. Right now it sounds like she's trying to hard to disguise her voice. The supporting cast seem like actors who didn't pass the audition for the past DCCW shows so they were given this lol

Agreed with your view. Ruby Rose does an admirable job with the physicality of the role. I just don't really like the way she is written. I can honestly say that I do not expect much in terms of high-caliber acting from Berlanti shows. Its not why I watch them. But Ruby Rose is very one dimensional. She can do grit and gloom well as any jaded character. But the issue is, having read the comics, Kate Kane is more complex than what is displayed in this one episode. There is a sorrowful aspect to the character that is missing. There is no noticeable duality. Kate Kane in the comics is indeed a badass lesbian, but that is not what solely defines her. She is broken, and yet, is willing to let her guard down. She is conflicted in her relationships. This version so far is too... linear?

Greg Berlanti doesn’t do superhero shows very well BUT he has had some great shows in the past...Everwood, Jack and Bobby. Eli Stone, etc...Those shows had some great acting

Greg Berlanti doesn’t do superhero shows very well BUT he has had some great shows in the past...Everwood, Jack and Bobby. Eli Stone, etc...Those shows had some great acting
Love, Simon was really solid as well.

Love, Simon was really solid as well.

Yeah that was a good one too. Berlanti reminds me of Ryan Murphy in that when he takes on too much, the shows suffer and you can tell. I’m sure if he focuses one thing at a time, it will turn out great

I did not hate the pilot episode, and I think it is far better than the anemic RT score indicates. It is what it is. An hour long intro to a character that simply doesn't resonate with many casual viewers who are unfamiliar with the character. Hell, I have read and love the comics, and felt that this was not really close to the comic counterpart. Not everyone is a comic book reader, and simply enjoy the superhero antics offered in the film/television medium. And I can see how a female led show, where the main character also happens to be a lesbian can seem like it has an agenda to push, especially with the ham-fisted dialogue about empowerment. It could have been better executed. But it is already out there in the world now, and they can't fix that now, and it really does not need "fixing".

I for one appreciate the diverse representation the CW shows offer. While I enjoy the escapism of reality that fictional television offers, I do like to see worlds that I am able to relate to on some levels. Minority, gender, sexual orientations that reflect the real world are important. And I think this is where the CW really shines; in the overall representation of diversity. I do not know if there is really any different way to present the characters. If viewers need to be handled with kid-gloves, then maybe they should just shoot their televisions.

The dialogue needs work. The storytelling needs work. The acting needs work. But batwoman is not better than any of the other premiers we have seen, and its certainly not any worse. It is par for the course.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I had set a really low bar. Ruby Rose was still extremely wooden and devoid of charisma.

When is this meant to be set? Will this first season be set before Elseworlds last year or will it ever catch up? She was already established as Batwoman then.

When is she meant to be getting her red hair?

Also I saw Rachel Maddow's name in the credits at the end? Was this the same MSNBC newscaster or another person? I don't recall seeing anyone looking like her or Miles Teller.

Also I saw Rachel Maddow's name in the credits at the end? Was this the same MSNBC newscaster or another person? I don't recall seeing anyone looking like her or Miles Teller.
She's the voice of the radio broadcaster Vesper Fairchild.

As far as the timeline goes, it's my understanding that the first few episodes will be set before Elseworlds, and they will catch up at some point this season.

She's the voice of the radio broadcaster Vesper Fairchild.

As far as the timeline goes, it's my understanding that the first few episodes will be set before Elseworlds, and they will catch up at some point this season.

I don't remember a radio broadcaster. When did she announce anything? I'm guessing she might make a live appearance eventually.

I don't remember a radio broadcaster. When did she announce anything?
I don't remember when in the pilot it was, and am not motivated to re-watch it and check, but she was definitely there. Also, in tonight's episode, she was narrating the opening and closing media coverage.

I'm guessing she might make a live appearance eventually.
Maybe eventually, but I doubt it'll be this season. I think she'll be a long-running faceless voice on the show.

That's from what I understand. Voice only. And apparently to become a major critic of Batwoman.

Gave the pilot a shot and I think this is easily the weakest Berlanti DC show. Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends all had some growing pains but this is ROUGH man. And, the thing those other shows had going for it was their compelling and charming leads. You could argue Amell isnt one of our finest working thespians but I remember in that Arrow pilot he sold the two sides of Oliver Queen very well and when he was doing parkour moves and taking out bad guys, he was believable as a ruthless badass. You wanted to see more of him and learn more abut his mysterious background that made him so hardened: What did Ruby do to hook us? Nothing. She wasnt even badass when she suited up, she barely held herself together.

I dont know, im not optimistic about this one and I’m all for a Batwoman show but this isnt it.

Great show! I love the pacing and the direction. The cinematography looks better than 'The Flash'.
Ruby Rose does a very good job with the character, she has charisma and gravitas. I just hope they will fix her mask in the second episode.
Ratings for the second episode are very good, so it's a hit. A new hit under the Batman's belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"