Supergirl Episode 3.04 "The Faithful" (SPOILERS)

I really dont like that Ruby. She's too old to be as whiny as she is IMO.

Wow, I didnt realize this show had such a heavy female cast till that scene when they were all together

Im sick of the Alex/Maggie melodrama. Alex is another one that is too old for this nonsense. She falls in love for the first time and rushes into a relationship, completely compromising herself. She needs to break up with Maggie and focus on herself bc she isnt ready for this marriage

I hope Reign can be redeemed in the end and doesn't turn fully evil or have to be destroyed. She's a mother and seems like a nice person. She didn't ask for any of this.

That is one of the reasons I wish this was more in-line with the comics. In the comics, Reign was never a sympathetic villain. She was very clear on her intent, whereas this Reign is rather muddled. Not to say that I think this is a bad thing.

There will be a lot more depth put into the character, and if she does evolve into the Comic Reign character, then there is going to be a lot of angst along the way.

And there will need to be a lot in order to get to the type of threat that was represented by Comic Reign. That's what I want, and I hope that going this route, doesn't turn her (this Reign) into a light-weight.

Something else I liked about this episode was how low budget the cult's meeting place was. Instead of being bright and shiny it was in some run down room with peeling paint and tattered curtains with an
odd hodge podge of chairs. It just seemed to give more of a air of desperate people trying to find some meaning to their life.

Im sick of the Alex/Maggie melodrama. Alex is another one that is too old for this nonsense. She falls in love for the first time and rushes into a relationship, completely compromising herself. She needs to break up with Maggie and focus on herself bc she isnt ready for this marriage

Fairly realistic.

Im sick of the Chyler/Maggie melodrama. Chyler is another one that is too old for this nonsense. She falls in love for the first time and rushes into a relationship, completely compromising herself. She needs to break up with Maggie and focus on herself bc she isnt ready for this marriage

I don't think that really follows. When I was younger in my 20s, I used to think that when people were older in their 30s or more, that they were more stable now and more mature. But when I got to my 30s and over, I found that people in their 30s weren't any more mature with how they dealt with these things. People could still fall head over heels in love with someone and rush into a marriage within a few weeks of knowing someone, or could still chase after others like a teenager. Is Chyler even meant to be in her 30s in this show or just her late 20s?

I don't see her acting any differently to other women of a similar age, whether in their 20s or 30s.

I don't think that really follows. When I was younger in my 20s, I used to think that when people were older in their 30s or more, that they were more stable now and more mature. But when I got to my 30s and over, I found that people in their 30s weren't any more mature with how they dealt with these things. People could still fall head over heels in love with someone and rush into a marriage within a few weeks of knowing someone, or could still chase after others like a teenager. Is Chyler even meant to be in her 30s in this show or just her late 20s?

I don't see her acting any differently to other women of a similar age, whether in their 20s or 30s.

ALEX is too old for this. She's only a few years older than Kara, so that would place her late 20s, if not already 30. By her age she would have the experience to know better and act more wisely. She is acting like a teenager which makes sense bc she has no experience in the love department. The way she is acting in this relationship is not connecting with her age and the maturity level she is showing in all other aspects of her life. Thats a problem and why she needs to slow down,take a step back and figure out who she is. This is where Maggie, being the one with the experience, should pull the brakes on things and IMO is acting selfishly proceeding with this marriage, knowing Alex' situation. I really dont like how the show is handling them. This is way too fast. It cant be understated that this is Alex's first relationship. This is crazy

Fairly realistic.
well I dint say it was unrealistic. Its realistic for the points I mentioned above.

Last edited:
ALEX is too old for this. She's only a few years older than Kara, so that would place her late 20s, if not already 30. By her age she would have the experience to know better and act more wisely. She is acting like a teenager which makes sense bc she has no experience in the love department. The way she is acting in this relationship is not connecting with her age and the maturity level she is showing in all other aspects of her life. Thats a problem and why she needs to slow down,take a step back and figure out who she is. This is where Maggie, being the one with the experience, should pull the brakes on things and IMO is acting selfishly proceeding with this marriage, knowing Alex' situation. I really dont like how the show is handling them. This is way too fast. It cant be understated that this is Alex's first relationship. This is crazy

well I dint say it was unrealistic. Its realistic for the points I mentioned above.

I was talking about Chyler Danvers not Chyler Leigh the actress. And I've already made my point about how people of any age can still act immaturely. It doesn't matter if she's in her late 20s or even if she's in her 30s like in real life.

So thoughts...

- I loved how the opening went back to the pilot. That was cleverly done.
- Nice to see Kara do some investigative journalism
- I remember a storyline from the comics with the Church of Superman. So this storyline was intriguing to me.
- I liked how uncomfortable the church made Kara.
- I was shocked when Thomas knew Kara was Supergirl.
- I lover James story about the first time he met Superman.
- It’s so great that the show feels like it’s about Kara again.
- Only negative for me was how dour the episode was towards the end. I hated that version of Hallelujah and I truly don’t give a rats about Alex & Maggie. That dragged it down for me a bit.

All in all an 8/10

So thoughts...

- I loved how the opening went back to the pilot. That was cleverly done.
- Nice to see Kara do some investigative journalism
- I remember a storyline from the comics with the Church of Superman. So this storyline was intriguing to me.
- I liked how uncomfortable the church made Kara.
- I was shocked when Thomas knew Kara was Supergirl.
- I lover James story about the first time he met Superman.
- It’s so great that the show feels like it’s about Kara again.
- Only negative for me was how dour the episode was towards the end. I hated that version of Hallelujah and I truly don’t give a rats about Alex & Maggie. That dragged it down for me a bit.

All in all an 8/10
Don't look now, but we actually agreed on an episode. :cwink:

I really enjoyed this episode.

The only thing I don’t like, or rather don’t understand, is why Sam feels it’s necessary to run L-Corp and work horrendously long days? Also, she could have skipped girls night with her random new friends and stayed home to help Ruby practice her singing the night before if it was that important.

Either Sam is career driven and puts that first or she puts Ruby first. Or they come up with a stronger reason for why Sam has to have such a highly paid and demanding job (e.g. Ruby has some kind of medical condition). As it is, they live in a huge house, Ruby has some kind of nanny and yet Sam is beating herself up about her working hours. It doesn’t help that Ruby is quite immature for her age - I don’t know too many 12 year olds that codependency on their mothers, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

It’s just a really clunky storyline for me. Sam was just parachuted into that role for no evident reason, unless there’s a deleted scene somewhere which explains why Sam wanted the job and why Lena hired her.

As always, Melissa and Chyler make gold out of everything they’re given. Chyler in particular did great with her heartbreaking realisation about not giving up on her dream of having children.

And they really need to just depower Martian Manhunter. Him standing around the DEO when 15,000 or more lives were at risk looked incredibly silly. There was no reason for why he needed to stay behind instead of being on hand to help Kara to fly the bomb away if she couldn’t convince the Rao reverend to diffuse it. He also could have flown there quicker than Alex’s motorcycle to start the evacuation process earlier.

And thank goodness for ten pin bowling - it kept us from any Guardian nonsense!

Edit: I think it’s amusing and accurate that Maggie loathes Supergirl, but likes Kara just fine. To Maggie, Supergirl just does whatever she wants whenever she wants without thinking about the legalities and consequences. Maggie has to do her job within the strict boundaries of the law and she knows how difficult the law is to prosecute.

Last edited:

The only thing I don’t like, or rather don’t understand, is why Sam feels it’s necessary to run L-Corp and work horrendously long days? Also, she could have skipped girls night with her random new friends and stayed home to help Ruby practice her singing the night before if it was that important.

Either Sam is career driven and puts that first or she puts Ruby first. Or they come up with a stronger reason for why Sam has to have such a highly paid and demanding job (e.g. Ruby has some kind of medical condition). As it is, they live in a huge house, Ruby has some kind of nanny and yet Sam is beating herself up about her working hours. It doesn’t help that Ruby is quite immature for her age - I don’t know too many 12 year olds that codependency on their mothers, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

It’s just a really clunky storyline for me. Sam was just parachuted into that role for no evident reason, unless there’s a deleted scene somewhere which explains why Sam wanted the job and why Lena hired her.

As always, Melissa and Chyler make gold out of everything they’re given. Chyler in particular did great with her heartbreaking realisation about not giving up on her dream of having children.

And they really need to just depower Martian Manhunter. Him standing around the DEO when 15,000 or more lives were at risk looked incredibly silly. There was no reason for why he needed to stay behind instead of being on hand to help Kara to fly the bomb away if she couldn’t convince the Rao reverend to diffuse it. He also could have flown there quicker than Alex’s motorcycle to start the evacuation process earlier.

And thank goodness for ten pin bowling - it kept us from any Guardian nonsense!

Edit: I think it’s amusing and accurate that Maggie loathes Supergirl, but likes Kara just fine. To Maggie, Supergirl just does whatever she wants whenever she wants without thinking about the legalities and consequences. Maggie has to do her job within the strict boundaries of the law and she knows how difficult the law is to prosecute.

What Sam is going through is something that women go through everyday that are in corporate America. My mother went through it with me decades ago....Then add to that a single mom with what looks to be absolutely no help from family....you have a very real situation that plagues women all over the world.

In the next episode it is revealed that Lena and Sam have known each other for a long time. And that Sam was adopted. Lena was also adopted so that might have also bonded them together. When Lena decided to run CatCo,
who else better to run LCorp than someone Lena knew and trusted. And so Sam wants to do a really good job running LCorp so as to not let her old friend Lena down after giving her such a great opportunity. Being dedicated to a job,
there is a tendency to neglect family and put the job first. Look what happens with police officers and soldiers. As to the house, I would assume that Sam had a successful career before Lena hired her, otherwise why would Lena hire
someone with no business skills even if they are a good friend? And Sam so far has been good at her job.

What Sam is going through is something that women go through everyday that are in corporate America. My mother went through it with me decades ago....Then add to that a single mom with what looks to be absolutely no help from family....you have a very real situation that plagues women all over the world.

I fully appreciate that, also being raised by a single mother. But, Sam appears to be quite well off. If she really wanted to, couldn’t she downsize to an apartment and take a lower paid job with more regular hours which gives her more time with Ruby. Or if she personally believes that being a high flying CFO is setting a good role model for Ruby, then she should own it and say it.

I fully appreciate that, also being raised by a single mother. But, Sam appears to be quite well off. If she really wanted to, couldn’t she downsize to an apartment and take a lower paid job with more regular hours which gives her more time with Ruby. Or if she personally believes that being a high flying CFO is setting a good role model for Ruby, then she should own it and say it.

Well, then it wouldn't follow the script.....

Or, as a third option, make it intentional text that Sam is not perfect, and is not handling being an executive/single mom gracefully. Her current decisions and mindset may be suboptimal, and this is the point of her arc.

One just has the suspicion that its *not* intentional, but an oversight by the writing staff. After all, its the same staff that never noticed that they gave Jimmy a supervillain origin story last season, or that lying about being a slave-owner is a *real* reason for someone to be pissed at you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"