Supergirl Episode 3.04 "The Faithful" (SPOILERS)

But in this episode the sub plot of Alex and Sam REALLY flowed well with the main plot...I really enjoyed it.
Yeah, that's one of the big things I'm really loving about this season so far. Aside from last week's ep, the subplots just jive with the big picture so much better. The ensemble feels properly utilized.

Jesse Warn is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors for this show, too. Between this is and "Girl of Steel," there's just a certain elegance and restraint to his directing that grounds the emotions at play, which I really appreciate. After looking him up, I also realize he gave us our first genuinely emotionally powerful moment from S1, too:

redfaced.gif

I really love this episode. It was just so well written, so well acted. I even loved James, who I've been ff through most of season 2.

I really love the end where Coville is so convinced that he is still on a genuine journey. These are the most interesting villains. He's kinda made himself a 'John the Baptist' figure tied to Kara's journey, which is super creepy, but comes from an authentic place for the character. And despite the creepiness, there is a lot of truth in his observations about Kara's place in life right now.

It would be interesting to see him resurface with this conviction when further down the road, Kara, as I'm sure she will be, become very lost on this foreshadowed tragic journey for both.

There really wasn't a scene I didn't like, except one. Maggie outside the building after Supergirl's save. Was it just me or was she just really shirty, cold to Kara? Not really understanding that particular acting choice.

And dare I say that I can't wait for Maggie to leave, so we get single Alex kicking arse and solving problems alongside her arse kicking Superhero kid sister who is going to need A LOT of support from her bit Sis this season.

Jesse Warn is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors for this show, too. Between this is and "Girl of Steel," there's just a certain elegance and restraint to his directing that grounds the emotions at play, which I really appreciate. After looking him up, I also realize he gave us our first genuinely emotionally powerful moment from S1, too:

redfaced.gif

O, thank you for pointing that out. Me too. I still think that was the most powerful moment in the entire series to date. Because MB went all in and committed herself to that 110 percent and wasn't afraid to make herself unattractive with such rage and pain. That scene still haunts me. lol.

Yeah, that's one of the big things I'm really loving about this season so far. Aside from last week's ep, the subplots just jive with the big picture so much better. The ensemble feels properly utilized.

redfaced.gif

Yep, that was him....and despite the bad look of Red Tornado, that was actually a pretty well put together episode.

After watching last weeks episode again, I actually enjoyed it more, I really watched the Maggie portion a little closer, and I commend them for not taking the easy way out with it and having a daddy daughter happy moment at the end. But, it was still an episode with 2 sub plots that just did not go together at all except that both were about fathers. There were however wonderful moments within the episode that I will go back to I'm sure later on.

But, this episode IMO, was just as well written as "Falling" from the first season....one of the best written episodes IMO. I like this writing team and director, wouldn't mind seeing this trio again in later episodes.

I like this writing team and director, wouldn't mind seeing this trio again in later episodes.
Ditto. I think Paula Yoo is my favorite new addition we got to the writing staff last year. I've really liked her episodes outside of "Survivors." Kara herself usually gets quality content in her eps, which is my #1 ask for this show.

O, thank you for pointing that out. Me too. I still think that was the most powerful moment in the entire series to date. Because MB went all in and committed herself to that 110 percent and wasn't afraid to make herself unattractive with such rage and pain. That scene still haunts me. lol.
Yeah, I wasn't yet sold on the show by that time, but that moment took big steps toward getting me there. MB was indeed excellent in that scene.

I liked the episode though I did have some issues with it like how all the ladies are now the "cool aunts" of Ruby so fast.

Generally speaking, I thought the handling of religion in this episode was interesting, "diplomatic" and (even) thoughtful. That said, I’m not a fan of modern Krypton being so pious (e.g., Kara praying to Rao with holo-Mom). Ancient Krypton - no problem; but methinks a science-based, advanced culture would be less religious. Admittedly, it’s a tad tricky to represent atheism, skepticism or rationalism in a genre where every other character is a god, goddess, wizard or otherwise magically powered superhero. :cwink:

Rao is a given among Kryptonians, although the his/its nature has undergone quite a few retcons. It exists as a source of life, so it makes perfect sense that Kryptonians would worship it even as a supernatural sphere.

In addition to that, Rao is actually a being in some continuities, although I'm not sure about the post DC Rebirth situation with him. Kryptonians have interacted with him and some other minor gods, so the existence of the supernatural isn't faith as we think of it, but a universal fact. IIRC, Superman was once said to be a direct descendant of Rao, but I don't know it that's still canonical.

I personally like the idea of Krypton's religion being grounded in science - that is, their "god" is their sun because their world literally revolves around it and it gives them life. It suggests a world where science and religion are kind of harmonious, which seems appropriate since they were meant to be an advanced race made up primarily of philosophers and scientists.

Rao is a given among Kryptonians, although the his/its nature has undergone quite a few retcons. It exists as a source of life, so it makes perfect sense that Kryptonians would worship it even as a supernatural sphere.

In addition to that, Rao is actually a being in some continuities, although I'm not sure about the post DC Rebirth situation with him. Kryptonians have interacted with him and some other minor gods, so the existence of the supernatural isn't faith as we think of it, but a universal fact. IIRC, Superman was once said to be a direct descendant of Rao, but I don't know it that's still canonical.

I appreciate the tutorial. :yay: My feeble expertise is mostly to do with the Silver/Bronze ages. And I do recall that Rao was the name of Krypton’s star and, also, the name of the Kryptonian deity. (Hence, Superman’s occasional curse: “Great Rao!”) Not a big stretch to assume that Rao was inspired by Ra, the Egyptian sun god. But based on slightly better astronomical knowledge, Egyptians no longer worship a giant ball of hydrogen. So it might be assumed that Kryptonians followed a similar evolution.

Could be, though, that modern Kryptonians are akin to secular Jews or “cultural Christians”: Out of respect for the tradition, they follow the rituals; but they don’t necessarily believe the theology. Likewise, Kara reciting holy verse in front of a candle doesn’t necessarily tell us to what degree she actually believes.

Still, as I say, it’s hard to be too critical of a Rao belief system if the genre, more generally, stipulates the reality of religious figures. (Shazam/the former Captain Marvel is perhaps the most conspicuously mixed-up/inclusive example. How many religious traditions are included by Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury? :cwink:)

Moreover, a mainstream show like Supergirl isn’t likely to question or criticize faith. Indeed, the episode rather deftly avoids promoting one faith over others by respecting them all - whether they be Earthly, Kryptonian or Martian.

:halo:

Last edited:
Rewatching the episode, I'm extra impressed with Melissa's performance this week. All her non-verbal reactions to Coville and "her" followers were so on-point - she was so visibly uncomfortable throughout. Especially that scene where she first confronts him and he recognizes her - the inner-freakout happening on her face throughout the rest of that scene was so palpable, I would have easily believed she ran out of the room and vomited right after the scene ended, lol.

Rewatching the episode, I'm extra impressed with Melissa's performance this week. All her non-verbal reactions to Coville and "her" followers were so on-point - she was so visibly uncomfortable throughout. Especially that scene where she first confronts him and he recognizes her - the inner-freakout happening on her face throughout the rest of that scene was so palpable, I would have easily believed she ran out of the room and vomited right after the scene ended, lol.

Totally....and damn, where did that voice come from in the Kryptonite scene?

She looked like she had the creepy crawlies every time she got near Thomas. In the finale scene visiting him in jail she looked profoundly uncomfortable.
Totally....and damn, where did that voice come from in the Kryptonite scene?
When the trailer was released there was debate on another site over who that voice was, I thought it was Winn. I wonder what the process was for that choice, did she plan it from the start or come up with it later.

Last edited:
That whole Kryptonite scene was more effective than usual for some reason. I guess it's the combination of the voice and new effects on her eyes. It's like they made a conscious choice to change it up this season, which is interesting.

This was a great episode! So much better than last weeks, which wouldn't take much to top, but they went above and beyond here. Some great acting and story telling all around, really coming together.

The tie-in to the S1 was cool, though I had a flashback to the Flash from last week... The whole religious angle, and bastardizing of the Church of Rao to end up worshiping Supergirl herself, was pretty good. I liked that aspect of her showing more of her heritage rather than hiding it. We've only seen a few scenes before of her worshiping, and I liked the scene at the end, when she was praying with her 'mother.'

With Alex and Maggie, this is turning into a lesson about making snap decisions. You find out before you propose if your partner wants kids or not. And it doesn't help with Alex making decisions that hide what she wants rather than asserting herself.

Her whole come-out was an example of this, and it is clear, she is still in the same rut. To be fair, it's hard to overcome a lifetime's worth of self-defeatism, and it is clearly rearing its ugly head again. In a way, I feel bad for Maggie, because how it looks, Alex was the one to propose and now it looks like she may be the one to break it off...

I thought the reveal at the end, that Supergirl was not a god was well done. She used the weakness brought on by the kryptonite to show that she could be hurt and could die. I liked it when the blonde haired girl just booked it out of there.

And yes, the effects used here were awesome! It looked like the kryptonite was actually breaking her apart, and the eyes was a great touch.

Coville wasn't wrong though, at least in that the Kara from S1 and the Kara from S3 are different. He is right, in that she has lost touch with her joy of being Supergirl, but that's it. S3 Kara is one with a tremendous amount of growth, triumphs and hardships, who just needs to find that innocent excitement of being Supergirl once again.

And I liked the shot of the ship at the end. I think Mon-el is going to come
out of it, though it would be a long round-a-bout just to get back to Earth!

If he is on it, then he has gone a thousand years into the future, only to end up back on Earth hundreds of millions of years in its past.

That whole Kryptonite scene was more effective than usual for some reason. I guess it's the combination of the voice and new effects on her eyes. It's like they made a conscious choice to change it up this season, which is interesting.

It also could have been a much stronger dose, being straight from a soil sample right off the planet.

It also could have been a much stronger dose, being straight from a soil sample right off the planet.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. isn't most the kryptonite Kara has been exposed to synthetic? So far the only genuine form has been the original meterorite form, but I would have thought soil from krypton would be especially lethal.

And how likely will Reign be affected by Kryptonite? Even though she was created in a lab, and not truly Kryptonian, she still has the DNA. But being affected by it would make it too easy to defeat her, though I can see evil Reign using it against Kara quite happily.

I personally hope Reign IS affected by Kryptonite just so it means she can't use it against Kara in their showdown. I hated when it turned up in the Rhea's blood in the fight in last season's finale. Unless used wisely for story purposes (like it was in this ep, to show the followers that Kara is indeed not an invulnerable god), I generally find Kryptonite to be a cop out for when the writers can't think of ways to make the villain more of a threat. Reign is a genetically engineered Worldkiller - she shouldn't need Kryptonite to be a viable threat.

Last edited:

Melissa is brilliant at minimalist acting and especially good at using stillness as a powerful tool in her craft. I personally think she is an artist. There are many examples of her acting without 'acting'. Think of the wake up scene after her Argo City hallucinations. Then compare that with they Red Tornado rage scene. From one extreme to the other. And don't even get me started on her Voice.

I could do a Kevin Smith and go on, and on about her being a genius. lol

She's also such a generous actor.

I seriously can't wait to see her in Waco. Speaking of which, I was wondering how much insight she might have brought to this episode as The Branch Davidians was a religious cult and she just came off filing that script immediately before Supergirl S3.

I personally hope Reign IS affected by Kryptonite just so it means she can't use it against Kara in their showdown. I hated when it turned up in the Rhea's blood in the fight in last season's finale. Unless used wisely for story purposes (like it was in this ep, to show the followers that Kara is indeed not an invulnerable god), I generally find Kryptonite to be a cop out for when the writers can't think of ways to make the villain more of a threat. Reign is a genetically engineered Worldkiller - she shouldn't need Kryptonite to be a viable threat.

But if she is affected by it, then someone, somewhere still has kryptonite, or even make more synthetic stuff. Then anyone with it can hurt her. I've always had problems with using kryptonite liberally too, and I agree it is a cop out most of the time. Although I wouldn't mind seeing different varieties just for fun. :)

If she is affected by it, then I hope the DEO will get of its arse and manufacture some anti kryptonite shield for Kara like Astra and Non had.

Was Reign affected by it in the comics?

All I can say, is that the final showdown had better be between Kara and Reign. I've read some suggestions that Reign will sacrifice herself as redemption, or that Alex and Team Supergirl will save Kara because Kara won't or can't. I hate both those scenarios. But this series loves to show Kara needing help all the time.

With this conflict they are creating. I need a BIG payoff in the end, and a big payoff would need a huge personal show down between the 2 principal players with Kara firing on all cylinders and gaining victory without being rescued. But who knows?

Last edited:
Agreed, I want to see Kara defeat Reign herself.

And it's been a while since I read it but I don't recall Kryptonite coming into play in Reign's storyline at all in the comics, so I'm not sure. I doubt she would've been affected, though, since she wasn't really Kryptonian. To be clear, I was half joking when I say I want her to be affected by it - I just mean I don't want her to be able to use it against Kara, because that's lame. So I'd prefer if Kryptonite wasn't involved at all.

But yes, I say I don't like Kryptonite generally, I'm referring to the green variety. I'm all for seeing the other varieties show up at some point. And I'd still like to see Red K return in some different form as well.

I'd love for the series to go the other way too. With the power level I mean. Would be fun to see a situation where Kara is exposed to something that makes her insanely powerful. I mean we always see her weakened by a substance, why not swing the other way?

And a big yes on Red K. Since we won't get Red Latern, then more Red K please.

Good episode. The ending scene in the bathroom was really creepy and reminded me of the ring. I also loved the way they approached the cult.

Its realistic that people would think of her as a god and worship her for her good deeds. Snyder placed emphasis more on the fear aspect of humanities reaction to a super being, while this episode looked at the other side of the coin in which some people would likely go overboard in worshiping a superhero.

Chad Lowe did a really good job.I actually met Chad and his then wife Hillary Swank back in the late 90s, and he's actually a pretty nice guy in real life as Hillary is too.:yay:.

Hillary is not a guy. I know she was convincing as one in Boys Don't Cry, but she's not really. :o

"It'sATwinThing" did a great job with that as kind of their center piece of this video.

I don't recall if any kryptonite came into the play in the Supergirl Rebirth comics with the World Killers. But even if it did, I doubt it would effect them, since the comic WKs were made in orbit of Krypton and not on Krypton.

With this Reign having been born on the planet though, and probably using Kryptonian DNA, then she would probably be susceptible to kryptonite.

I would agree and hope that kryptonite does not make an appearance in this face-off. Reign needs to push Kara to the limit and beyond, and Kara should be central in bringing her down.

I'm still hoping we'll see more of the comic version of Reign near the end, and wish it had been that one from the beginning.

I hope Reign can be redeemed in the end and doesn't turn fully evil or have to be destroyed. She's a mother and seems like a nice person. She didn't ask for any of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"