Essentials...not so complete?

Sundancer

Cynicist
Reaction score
So I've got the Essential Moon Knight, and I'm reading a crossover story with Spidey where Moony makes a reference to his "stint with the Defenders." There's a footnote saying "see Defenders 47-51."

So I'm thinking--why aren't those issues in this book? Aren't the Essential series supposed to collect all of the earliest appearances (at least initially)?

Any one else notice any "gaps" in other titles?

So I've got the Essential Moon Knight, and I'm reading a crossover story with Spidey where Moony makes a reference to his "stint with the Defenders." There's a footnote saying "see Defenders 47-51."

So I'm thinking--why aren't those issues in this book? Aren't the Essential series supposed to collect all of the earliest appearances (at least initially)?

Perhaps his stint with the Defenders isnt considered "Essential" Moonknight reading. :word: :cwink:

Characters guest appear in seperate titles all the time. His appearences in those issues weren't even that major. If you put those issues in Essential Moon Knight, should you leave the issues out of Essential Defenders? Of course not., But if you don't, you're doubling up, and any consumer who purchases both might be a little miffed that they paid for some of the same stories twice.

The major characters CONSTANTLY guest appear in each otehrs titles, but the essentials are only going to collect those characters own stories, not their guest spots in other titles. The only exception MIGHT be if their first appearences are in other titles, but even then that's not always the case (pretty sure Silver Surfer just picks up with his series, and his first appearence is left in Essential FF)

Go buy Essential Defenders Vol. 3

:yay:

The major characters CONSTANTLY guest appear in each otehrs titles, but the essentials are only going to collect those characters own stories, not their guest spots in other titles. The only exception MIGHT be if their first appearences are in other titles, but even then that's not always the case (pretty sure Silver Surfer just picks up with his series, and his first appearence is left in Essential FF)

You're right... Essential Silver Surfer Vol. 1 simply has the 18 issue original run, as well as a tale from FF Annual #5.

Though there have been a few reprints in varying Essentials...

For example, Werewolf by Night #32 has appreared in both EWbN Vol. 2 and EMK Vol. 1

:huh: :huh: :huh:

So basically it's already been printed. Ok. I didn't know the Defenders had covered that far.

And I noticed the Silver Surfer situation and was wondering..guess now I know.

Though there have been a few reprints in varying Essentials...

For example, Werewolf by Night #32 has appreared in both EWbN Vol. 2 and EMK Vol. 1

The story in question took place in "Peter Parker as the..." title, so I'm guessing those were also printed in Essential PPASTS.

The story in question took place in "Peter Parker as the..." title, so I'm guessing those were also printed in Essential PPASTS.

Yep... in the Essential PP: Spectacular Spider-Man vol. 1, issues 22 & 23 are in there, guest-starring Moon Knight.

I thought the Essential books were based on titles; not characters. It's supposed to be Essential Moon Knight (the title) which was made up of Moon Knight (the title). If it were based on Moon Knight (the character) then, yeah, they'd have to include all guest appearences and what not.

I thought the Essential books were based on titles; not characters. It's supposed to be Essential Moon Knight (the title) which was made up of Moon Knight (the title). If it were based on Moon Knight (the character) then, yeah, they'd have to include all guest appearences and what not.

The thing is that a character like Moon Knight made numerous Marvel appearances that helped develop his character prior to getting his own book that you simply could not include those in an Essential volume.

In later MK Essentials, you might be able to omit his tenure with the West Coast Avengers appearances, but those early Werwolf by Night & PP: Spectacular Spider-Man ones were critical.

I may be wrong. I only have two Essential books. But what about Iron Man? Does the Essential Iron Man include his Tales of Suspense days? Or does it start with Iron Man # 1?

Essential Iron Man Vol. 1 collects Tales of Suspense #39 to 72...

Essential Iron Man Vol. 2 collects Tales of Suspense #73 to 99, as well as a few Iron Man appearances elsewhere, and then Iron Man #1 to 11.

Well there you go. In that case I was wrong. It does seem the Essential books collect the character and not the title.

For the most part, Essentials does a pretty good job at completing a story; such as with those Werewolf By Night tie-ins with the two volumes; or Defenders being tied-in with The Avengers for their first volume.

The worst omission was in Marvel Two-In-One Vol. 2. They had Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2, but failed to have the Avenger's Annual that preceeded that story, Avengers Annual 7.

Also of note, some stories will be omitted for other reasons. Marvel Two-In-One didn't have issue #21 for the following reason: "The Essential Marvel Two-In-One TPB omits issue #21 from the collection, as the rights to the character Doc Savage (who was the featured team-up in that issue) are no longer owned by Marvel."

Also of note, some stories will be omitted for other reasons. Marvel Two-In-One didn't have issue #21 for the following reason: "The Essential Marvel Two-In-One TPB omits issue #21 from the collection, as the rights to the character Doc Savage (who was the featured team-up in that issue) are no longer owned by Marvel."

Which would explain the lack of Giant Size Spider-Man #3 in the Spider-Man Essentials.

For the most part, Essentials does a pretty good job at completing a story; such as with those Werewolf By Night tie-ins with the two volumes; or Defenders being tied-in with The Avengers for their first volume.

The worst omission was in Marvel Two-In-One Vol. 2. They had Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2, but failed to have the Avenger's Annual that preceeded that story, Avengers Annual 7.

If what I read a few days ago is accurate, any title featuring ROM will have the same gaps in it's run too.

If what I read a few days ago is accurate, any title featuring ROM will have the same gaps in it's run too.

Great... that means NO PowerMan/Iron Fist #73, NO Marvel Two in One #99, NO Hulk #296 (possibly issue #418, because he's not in armour in that issue), and NO Contest of Champions mini...

:csad:

So basically it's already been printed. Ok. I didn't know the Defenders had covered that far.

And I noticed the Silver Surfer situation and was wondering..guess now I know.

Defenders made it that far?

Damn, I'm behind. x.x

Yeah, the Defenders Essentials are up to volume 3...

After comparing my Luke Cage Powerman comics with Essential Luke Cage I figured they mean it when they say "Essential".

Issues That I thought were important were left out,... Stories that crossed over to other series like "Two in One" or "Marvel Team Up" were left out.

Then Marvel did the unthinkable,... they homoginized the early stories,.. taking away the racial prejudice that was instrumental to the cause of the main character gaining superpowers.

So,.. If you want a "general" timeline" of stories - the Essentials are the way to go.

If you want the original stories, be ready to shell out some bucks.

V.

Then Marvel did the unthinkable,... they homoginized the early stories,.. taking away the racial prejudice that was instrumental to the cause of the main character gaining superpowers.

yeah, when I heard Marvel cencored the original scripts, I decided to not buy that book.

Though in a related note, in Essential Spider-Man Volume 5, in issue #92 or 93 (I forget), some petty bad guy gunning for the D.A.'s office refers to Robbie Robertson as "Sambo" when the Bugle threatened to publish his crooked background that Robertson had dug up on him.

It's in the original comic, but I'm glad Marvel didn't edit it.

Not because I approve of such language, but those were the times, and the comics reflected that.

After comparing my Luke Cage Powerman comics with Essential Luke Cage I figured they mean it when they say "Essential".

Issues That I thought were important were left out,... Stories that crossed over to other series like "Two in One" or "Marvel Team Up" were left out.

So,.. If you want a "general" timeline" of stories - the Essentials are the way to go.

If you want the original stories, be ready to shell out some bucks.

V.

Man, i was wondering about that. I read the first issue as a kid, and remember the prison guard being psychotically racial...that was one of the books that didnt survive my youth, and years later (just recently in fact) i picked up the reprint and thought i must have slowly exaggerated that story in my mind over the years...apparently, my initial memory was correct.

On the other hand; Marvel left the racial overtones in the Sons of The Serpent storyline in Defenders pretty much intact, if memory once again serves me.

Which is sad, because ROM's stories were great.

The good thing is that it's not that hard to get Rom back issues at a reasonable price. Most of the single issues are under $1.50 on mycomicshop.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"