Superman Returns Everyone Knows Superman!!!!

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a statement i hear over and over as it pertains to the interest in this movie and it's possible success
My question is does knowing mean liking or even caring about the character ?
I think Most of the worlds populace know who Michael Jackson is but does that mean they will all rush out to buy his new CD ?

I am curious to find out what fans experiences are of people they know' reactions to Superman the character and indeed the fact a new movie is coming

For me most are disinterested and it is well down their list of films to see this summer,they also often cite that Superman lacks the cool factor of Spidey or Batman
Now ive on more than one occasion tried to inform that there is more depth to the Mythos than the goddy two shoes they percieve but most still don't see him as a charatcer that excites or interests them

I think you're making an excellent point hunter rider. There are alot of people I know that feel very indifferent about the character. It's going to be important for the box office success of the film to have a good trailer, good tv spots, and positive word-of-mouth imo.

Why did this get moved ?:confused: i'll get virtually no responses in this section as hardly anyone posts:(

Well smallville's done a pretty good job of keeping superman interesting to me. But I think that show's success alone wont be enough to make people become superman fans again. I think bryan singer himself is going to sell this movie better than the superman brand name. If the trailers and ads, all that stuff don't convince people to pack the theater, it may just be his record as a good filmmaker that does it in the end.

Routh, I don't know his quality as an actor. Nor Bosworth.
The story sounds lame. so thats not going to get people there.
But
Spacey will be worth the money. Singer makes good movies. Look at X1. That movie had every right to be garbage (The comic is over the top in every way) but it wasn't. It, I believe, single-handedly proved you could take a comic with lots of wacky powers and stories, and translate it seriously in a realistic, non-comic-booky way (long before Begins came along) and still make a very swell film that stays true to the essence of the comic.

Who could pass on a chance to see superman treated as well.

Couldnt agree more most ppl i talk too about it want to see it even if most say Batman or Spiderman are better.

I think the problem is he is not a character ppl can relate to as easily.

Many see him as out of date and not regonisable as part of modern society more a kitsh pop culture icon.

Even the general theme of the Movie is how he struggles to fit in with modern views and society after his absence.

It would not surprise me that a lot of ppl are unaware of recent incarnations of Superman (Smallville, TAS, Lois and Clark) and there only memory being the Chris Reeve movies (especially here in the Uk) so they will view the character as dated as it is there only encounter with him

hunter rider said:
Why did this get moved ?:confused: i'll get virtually no responses in this section as hardly anyone posts:(

...what a thread killer:(

yeah it's basically dead now. Thanks mods.

hunter rider said:

sorry but it has nothing to do in spoilers

Morg said:
sorry but it has nothing to do in spoilers

What about the Box office threads and Toy threads ? they aren't spoilers

The toys are somewhat spoilers and I thought I got rid of the box office threads?

*grumbles* back to work

Morg said:
The toys are somewhat spoilers and I thought I got rid of the box office threads?

*grumbles* back to work
I know but Morgy this thread i thought had some merit to discuss the popularity as effects the movie of Superman in this society but in here it is doomed to not have any discussion but i can guess at $85M openings all day:(

If I let every non spoilers in spoilers section we would have one hell of a mess there

Morg said:
If I let every non spoilers in spoilers section we would have one hell of a mess there

I know but i thought this had some substance to it

The Lack of response in these threads= Delousinal fanboys getting PWned

Big Cuzz does it again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"