Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

HarryOsborn

Civilian
Reaction score
obi-wan-kenobi-series-logo.jpg

Last August at D23 Expo, Lucasfilm announced the return of Ewan McGregor in the iconic role of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi for a special event series on Disney+. Officially titled Obi-Wan Kenobi, the series begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where he faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader. The series is directed by Deborah Chow, who helmed memorable episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1.

This will truly be a day long remembered, as it was confirmed that Hayden Christensen will be returning as Darth Vader. “This will be the rematch of the century,” Kennedy said.

“It was such an incredible journey playing Anakin Skywalker,” said Christensen. “Of course, Anakin and Obi-Wan weren’t on the greatest of terms when we last saw them… It will be interesting to see what an amazing director like Deborah Chow has in store for us all. I’m excited to work with Ewan again. It feels good to be back.

Original post:

Rumors of McGregor reprising his role as a force ghost (with make-up and CG aging as some seem to believe this implies retconning Guinness) have been rampant since the announcement of the sequel trilogy in 2012. Several rumors have claimed there would be an Obi-Wan spin-off trilogy, however many of these rumors spread at a time when everyone from Yoda to Boba was rumored for a spin-off. This past week however rumors of an Obi-Wan spin-off have reignited.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/06...77130?lt_source=external,manual,manual,manual

Ewan McGregor May Get An Obi-Wan 'Star Wars' Spinoff | HuffPost

While Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen have gotten a Jar Jar sized dose of hate for their... unique take on a romantic relationship (as well as Hayden's charisma being compared to that of a plank, a rock, and a stick), Ewan was one of the few up-in-coming actors of the prequel trilogy to be praised for his performance. Veteran classically trained actors such as Mcdiarmid and Christopher Lee were largely the only performers allowed to challenge Lucas during production and improvise lines, which makes a stand out performance from someone with as little experience as McGregor (at the time) all the more impressive. Personally I'd love to see him reprise his role.

I don't want to see a galaxy trotting Obi-Wan, but a western style take on Star Wars chronicling the tales of Obi-Wan as a lone guardian on Tattooine between Episodes III and IV could be a fresh idea. Tattooine in and of itself is a planetary no-mans land with dangerous creatures of the desert, scavengers and savages, and a criminal empire that acts as the reigning power- giving disney ample opportunities to give Obi-Wan character defining adventures. A few things I'd like to see:

• Obi-Wan taking on the name of Ben
  • Owen's relationship to the old Jedi and why his feelings towards him are so charged with resent.
  • Obi-Wan dealing with scoundrels and possible reminders of his past
  • Return of Qui-Gon as a ghost (or whatever the clone wars established he could become)
  • Return of Maul as an antagonist (or really anyone left alive from Obi-Wan's past)
  • Obi-Wan struggling with tough choices he must make in order to protect the young Luke

What are your thoughts? If the rumor of a trilogy is indeed true, perhaps the gaps between the episodic entrees will be filled in during the intermission between the production of trilogies?

Last edited by a moderator:
A trilogy of Obi-Wan movies with Ewan would be a dream come true for me, obviously.

I'd love to see:
- The real dynamic between Obi-Wan and Owen.
- Kenobi protecting Luke from a distance, and dealing with the sand people.
- Him helping the Rebellion and Bail Organa even if from far (maybe him even meeting a very young Leia?).
- His "new" training with Qui-Gon, and how it changes him.
- Kenobi finding out Vader is alive.
- Obi dealing with scoundrels, bounty hunters and all kids of cantina folks :woot:

I want this more than anything. :obi:

I hope it's true!

Rogue One -> Han Solo -> Kenobi

A trilogy of Obi-Wan movies with Ewan would be a dream come true for me, obviously.

I'd love to see:
- Him helping the Rebellion and Bail Organa even if from far (maybe him even meeting a very young Leia?).
- Obi dealing with scoundrels, bounty hunters and all kids of cantina folks :woot:

Co-signed on all of this, the Obi-Wan stand alone is the one I want most by a big margin.

I'd love to see:

*Yes
*Yes
*Please god no. The biggest thing the prequels did wrong in almost every negative reviewer's eyes was making Star Wars such a small world. Did Yoda need to befriend Chewbacca? Did Boba Fett need to be a little kid running around in Clones? Did Anakin need to build 3P0? No Rebel stuff, no Bail, but please no young Leia.
*Yes
*Maybe, leaning towards no.
*Yes

Here's an Obi-Wan idea:

Have another film take place between the Prequels and OT. Bring back Macgregor as Obi-Wan. Have Temeura Morrison play an aged, bitter ex- Commander Cody. And have either Ray Park or Sam Witwer play Maul.

Have the whole story play as a kind of jidaigeki and western fusion, with a major theme being how all these characters were playing major, world shattering roles in the affairs of the Galaxy, and now they've all outlived their original purpose. Obi-Wan can't defend the Republic because it doesn't exist, and old Cody is of no use to the Empire without the Clone Wars, and Maul can never be a public force in the Galaxy again because Vader and Palpatine will put him down. So all three have a kind of tired and weary way about them, like those old gunfighters in westerns or the samurai who wound up impoverished after the Sengoku period.

But they've all got something to live for still. Kenobi is watching over Luke and harboring dreams of seeing the son rectify his father's mistakes, Maul is still dreaming of final revenge on the man who maimed him, and Cody is hunting Maul for the deaths of some of his brothers during the Clone Wars. But all three have a flaw in their dreams; Kenobi isn't wanted around by Luke's guardians, Maul tried to have revenge on Kenobi but the Jedi shook it off so he's not even sure he can get true revenge, and Cody is fast approaching an early grave and must live with the turmoil of whether or not carrying out Order 66 helped or hurt the Galaxy.

Picture the kind of character drama where lightsabers aren't used until the last battle to keep their cover down, Maul leads a small band of Mandalorian speeder bikers, like the gangs in the westerns, to try and finally run Obi-Wan down, while Cody, now discarded and desperate and despairing, obsessively follows him, and Obi-Wan trying to save lives and be a hero while still staying quiet enough the Empire doesn't notice. Picture Kenobi and Cody teaming up, but with Cody struggling with the lies he's used to justify Order 66 and the Empire to himself while talking to a man the Empire still wants dead. And picture two tired, weary and run down warriors aiming for a final showdown that calls back to their glory days.

Their on a planet with two Suns, small and scattered towns, criminals and Imperials, and even a hostile native species in the Tusken Raiders. It's the Wild West in Star Wars.

How's that strike you?

Here's an Obi-Wan idea:

Have another film take place between the Prequels and OT. Bring back Macgregor as Obi-Wan. Have Temeura Morrison play an aged, bitter ex- Commander Cody. And have either Ray Park or Sam Witwer play Maul.

Have the whole story play as a kind of jidaigeki and western fusion, with a major theme being how all these characters were playing major, world shattering roles in the affairs of the Galaxy, and now they've all outlived their original purpose. Obi-Wan can't defend the Republic because it doesn't exist, and old Cody is of no use to the Empire without the Clone Wars, and Maul can never be a public force in the Galaxy again because Vader and Palpatine will put him down. So all three have a kind of tired and weary way about them, like those old gunfighters in westerns or the samurai who wound up impoverished after the Sengoku period.

But they've all got something to live for still. Kenobi is watching over Luke and harboring dreams of seeing the son rectify his father's mistakes, Maul is still dreaming of final revenge on the man who maimed him, and Cody is hunting Maul for the deaths of some of his brothers during the Clone Wars. But all three have a flaw in their dreams; Kenobi isn't wanted around by Luke's guardians, Maul tried to have revenge on Kenobi but the Jedi shook it off so he's not even sure he can get true revenge, and Cody is fast approaching an early grave and must live with the turmoil of whether or not carrying out Order 66 helped or hurt the Galaxy.

Picture the kind of character drama where lightsabers aren't used until the last battle to keep their cover down, Maul leads a small band of Mandalorian speeder bikers, like the gangs in the westerns, to try and finally run Obi-Wan down, while Cody, now discarded and desperate and despairing, obsessively follows him, and Obi-Wan trying to save lives and be a hero while still staying quiet enough the Empire doesn't notice. Picture Kenobi and Cody teaming up, but with Cody struggling with the lies he's used to justify Order 66 and the Empire to himself while talking to a man the Empire still wants dead. And picture two tired, weary and run down warriors aiming for a final showdown that calls back to their glory days.

Their on a planet with two Suns, small and scattered towns, criminals and Imperials, and even a hostile native species in the Tusken Raiders. It's the Wild West in Star Wars.

How's that strike you?

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Here's an Obi-Wan idea:

How's that strike you?

I can definitely get behind this. Sounds like it would tie up some loose threads from the Clone Wars cartoon.

Here's an Obi-Wan idea:

How's that strike you?

That sounds realy great, never thought about having a post-Episode III clone meeting Obi-Wan, but that has a lot of potencial.

I think for a obi wan solo if you bring back maul you need a explanation to why maul is alive because alot of the audience won't know he was brought back in clone wars so they will be confused as hell if he is just there so you either need maul to reference or talk about how he came back or even a live action flashback to the clone wars events

Same with obi wan knowing maul is alive, there are ways to do it so it feels connected to Episode 1 for more casual audiences and doesn't ignore the events of clone wars

Also if we did continue from the last time we see maul in clone wars we could see Sidious again in an obi wan spin off

Last edited:
Ewan McGregors Obi-Wan performance was the only thing that was consistently good throughout the PT.

I think for a obi wan solo if you bring back maul you need a explanation to why maul is alive because alot of the audience won't know he was brought back in clone wars so they will be confused as hell if he is just there so you either need maul to reference or talk about how he came back or even a live action flashback to the clone wars events

Same with obi wan knowing maul is alive, there are ways to do it so it feels connected to Episode 1 for more casual audiences and doesn't ignore the events of clone wars

Also if we did continue from the last time we see maul in clone wars we could see Sidious again in an obi wan spin off

Son of Dathomir showed him running away from Palpatin and Mother Talzin dying.

If true the movies will inevitably offer up some dull stories. Obi Wan and Yoda had to remain inconspicuous. Not even Jabba knew Obi Wan was living on Tatooine. He would've informed Vader otherwise. The Empire had eyes and ears everywhere looking for Jedi remnants.

Obi Wan wouldn't be able to reveal himself to anyone. People there didn't even know his real name. They just thought he was some crazy old man in the hills. He certainly couldn't do any adventuring or be on the wrong end of a bounty hunter's weapon. They all worked for Jabba. So there seems to be little story to tell here.

Last edited:
Funny, I was just posting in another thread that I don't want a bunch of "solo" films with characters. But Obi Wan would be one I would really like to see. Set in between the PT and OT. That'd be great.

The idea godisawesome posted above was really good too.

If true the movies will inevitably offer up some dull stories. Obi Wan and Yoda had to remain inconspicuous. Not even Jabba knew Obi Wan was living on Tatooine. He would've informed Vader otherwise. The Empire had eyes and ears everywhere looking for Jedi remnants.

Obi Wan wouldn't be able to reveal himself to anyone. People there didn't even know his real name. They just thought he was some crazy old man in the hills. He certainly couldn't do any adventuring or be on the wrong end of a bounty hunter's weapon. They all worked for Jabba. So there seems to be little story to tell here.

Im not up to date, but why would Jabba care about Obi-Wan? Sure I guess he could snitch to Vader for hopes of a reward, but I dont think Jabba is that that stupid.
From what I've seen of the movies (I havent seen The Clone Wars) it's always seen as Jabba doing his own thing and not really worrying about Sith

Son of Dathomir showed him running away from Palpatin and Mother Talzin dying.

Oh i don't know of that episode, all I remember is maul and his brother fighting palpatin and the last you see of him is being hit by force lightning with palpatin saying he has a job for him or something like that

Im not up to date, but why would Jabba care about Obi-Wan? Sure I guess he could snitch to Vader for hopes of a reward, but I dont think Jabba is that that stupid.
From what I've seen of the movies (I havent seen The Clone Wars) it's always seen as Jabba doing his own thing and not really worrying about Sith

Because Jabba hates the Jedi and he was on good terms with Vader. But after doing some further research, it seems he did know the "old wizard" was there and that he was even "a thorn in [his] side", from what he told Vader in the following panels. This took place between Episodes IV and V:

vgzsvYI.jpg

jabba-the-hutt-describes-obi-wan-to-darth-vader-2.jpg

Strange that he did not tell Vader about this "thorn in his side." Maybe he didn't know he was a Jedi. Unlikely and it doesn't make any sense. This issue may have set up this rumored spin off.

Last edited:
Oh i don't know of that episode, all I remember is maul and his brother fighting palpatin and the last you see of him is being hit by force lightning with palpatin saying he has a job for him or something like that

It's not an episode, it's a four-issue comic story.

Because Jabba hates the Jedi and he was on good terms with Vader. But after doing some further research, it seems he did know the "old wizard" was there and that he was even "a thorn in [his] side", from what he told Vader in the following panels. This took place between Episodes IV and V:

Strange that he did not tell Vader about this "thorn in his side." Maybe he didn't know he was a Jedi. Unlikely and it doesn't make any sense. This issue may have set up this rumored spin off.

I mean they could change that because none of that is canon now. Just make it so Jabba doesn't really care. I doubt it would affect that many people's viewing

I mean they could change that because none of that is canon now. Just make it so Jabba doesn't really care. I doubt it would affect that many people's viewing

Um, yes it is. Its from Darth Vader Vol 1, 2015.

I've been thinking; if there is a Kenobi on Tatooine movie, how might a lightsaber act in a sandstorm? Like, would all the particles of sand melt and sizzle on the blade? Would there be some red hot pieces of glass falling from the blade?

How awesome would that look in a movie?

Here's an Obi-Wan idea:

How's that strike you?

Love this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"