The Force Awakens Ewan Mcgregor open to return as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

If Ewan were to appear in VII as Obi-WANs force ghost then any amount of tension, emotion that would've been amounted at that point what disappear like a bubble being burst. Pop. It just would not work IMO. Yoda..possibly it could work. But still. And Hayden? I would get up and walk out right there.

If Ewan were to appear in VII as Obi-WANs force ghost then any amount of tension, emotion that would've been amounted at that point what disappear like a bubble being burst. Pop. It just would not work IMO. Yoda..possibly it could work.
Why exactly?

When they start filming episode VII they should invite Hayden on set just to freak you guys out :hehe:

Hayden should be banned from entering the set, actually.

I would love to see Hayden force ghost personally.

Why exactly?

When they start filming episode VII they should invite Hayden on set just to freak you guys out :hehe:

Simply because he's already been seen as a force ghost and it was Guiness playing him. So now I'm supposed to believe that force ghosts can appear in any age they see fit? If that's the case, why not have Obi-Wan appear as a kid. 'Who the hell are you?" "Luke it's me, it's Ben!" "What?" And up until that moment the film had been bubbling along very nicely. As for Hayden? Yeah invite him along. He can give catering a hand.

If done right, aging Ewan to look like Sir Alec would work just fine. I see no issue with them bringing him back as a force ghost at all, if the story merits it.

If done right, aging Ewan to look like Sir Alec would work just fine. I see no issue with them bringing him back as a force ghost at all, if the story merits it.

If you think so, then that's fine. But not for me. Don't get me wrong, I like Ewan. I think he's a good actor. And if he were to return as Obi-Wan I'd be more than happy to see him in one of the rumoured spin off features. But not as a make upped interpretation of Alec Guinesses Kenobi. Nope.

See this is tricky. Ewan is probably my favorite addition from the prequels. He did an excellent job. But, the thing is, Force Spirit Obi-Wan is established as Sir Alec Guiness. You may be able to get away with it with make-up and have Ewan try to emulate Guiness's voice even more. Perhaps you can make the image more faint, like Obi-Wan's time is almost over and it is time for him to move on, like the Zahn books.

Yoda, obviously, they could still do as he is CG and Frank Oz is still around. The Force Spirit that would make the most sense, and I know I will get a lot of flak for, is Anakin. His Spirit has been established as Hayden, and the Star Wars Saga is the Skywalker saga above anything. Hayden has gotten critical notice in other things so maybe with Abrams directing as oppose to Lucas, you can have a decent performance. but, something tells me Abrams wants to stay away from any prequel elements.

What I would like to see is a solo Obi-Wan movie starring Ewan that covers his time on Tatooine, dealing with Sandpeople and locals when necessary, his relation with Owen, communing with Qui-Gon, and taking steps to make sure Luke remains hidden. That would be suited for Ewan.

If Hayden hadn't been put in as the Anakin force ghost there could be a decent explanation for using Ewan. They could say the force ghost appears to whoever is experiencing the ghost in the form they have seen them in, if i've explained that right.

The new character could hear stories and see footage of Obi-Wan as Ewen, this would lead them to experience the ghost in that form as the physical body is gone and is now an interpretation of the person expressed through the force. However if Luke is in contact with Obi-wan, using this rule, he would have to be in the Alec Guiness form since that's how he experienced him when he was alive and Anakin would have to be how he was in the original trilogy instead of Hayden.

Saying all this I have no real idea why they would need Obi-wan in these films.

What I would like to see is a solo Obi-Wan movie starring Ewan that covers his time on Tatooine, dealing with Sandpeople and locals when necessary, his relation with Owen, communing with Qui-Gon, and taking steps to make sure Luke remains hidden. That would be suited for Ewan.

Agreed.

If Hayden hadn't been put in as the Anakin force ghost there could be a decent explanation for using Ewan. They could say the force ghost appears to whoever is experiencing the ghost in the form they have seen them in, if i've explained that right.

The new character could hear stories and see footage of Obi-Wan as Ewen, this would lead them to experience the ghost in that form as the physical body is gone and is now an interpretation of the person expressed through the force. However if Luke is in contact with Obi-wan, using this rule, he would have to be in the Alec Guiness form since that's how he experienced him when he was alive and Anakin would have to be how he was in the original trilogy instead of Hayden.

Saying all this I have no real idea why they would need Obi-wan in these films.

But Hayden's force ghost appeared to Luke, and the only Anakin Luke ever saw was the charred egg lookin' Sebastian Shaw.

Agreed.

But Hayden's force ghost appeared to Luke, and the only Anakin Luke ever saw was the charred egg lookin' Sebastian Shaw.
Yes that's why I said "If Hayden hadn't been put in as the Anakin force ghost there could be a decent explanation for using Ewan". If wasn't for that change (which no one liked anyway) we'd have a fine explanation.

Yes that's why I said "If Hayden hadn't been put in as the Anakin force ghost there could be a decent explanation for using Ewan". If wasn't for that change (which no one liked anyway) we'd have a fine explanation.

Sorry, must've brainfarted.

I actually have no problem with this. I thought Ewan did a great job matching Sir Alec's mannerisms in the prequels.

I wouldn't be opposed at all to Hayden returning as a force ghost, if the story called for it.

Hayden is not a bad actor. The writing and direction for the prequels was what it was. In better hands he'd be fine. He was very good in Shattered Glass.

I doubt it'll happen though.

I'm of the opposite opinion on that. I'm not saying that the writing was rich. But, I thought there was more there than we got from Hayden.

Ewan was a shining beacon for me in the prequels. Him as Obi-Wan was probably what I enjoyed most from the prequels, so I wouldn't need much convincing to be okay with him appearing.

Need me some more Ewan as Obi-Wan.

Hayden is not a bad actor. The writing and direction for the prequels was what it was. In better hands he'd be fine. He was very good in Shattered Glass.

My thoughts exactly. If you see any of Hayden's other film involvements, you'd realize he's not a bad actor at all. The guy was even nominated for a Golden Globe for his role in Life As A House. It was just terrible bad luck for him to be involved in the prequel trilogy. Sure it brought him to super stardom status for a time, but then backfired into basically destroying his career. I mean heck, even Natalie Portman, who's a great actress was god awful in the prequels. It was just bad scripting and bad direction.

Perhaps Ewan McGregor's Obi-wan could fit in as a flashback. Hell, even a prequel trilogy flashback directed by J.J. Abrams might bring new light to what Lucas destroyed.

I'm open to Ewan McGregor returning, either be it as a ghost still guiding Luke, or perhaps any offspring he might have had.

Or, better yet, just have his own solo focusing on what he was up to during the 20 years between ROTS and ANH. Maybe Luke wasn't the only jedi he was training at the time, and maybe one of the new kids that are going to be making their debut has something to do with that.

I would rather see him in a spin off that takes place in between revenge of the sith and a new hope. To see him as a ghost in Star Wars 7.. would just seem strange..

Perhaps Ewan McGregor's Obi-wan could fit in as a flashback. Hell, even a prequel trilogy flashback directed by J.J. Abrams might bring new light to what Lucas destroyed.

I'm not sure flashbacks would fit with the episodic entries, which are supposed to be realy straightforward.

An Obi-Wan film set between Episode III and IV could be interesting.

I have a feeling that after 30 years Obi Wan and Yoda would have passed over. If that is the case we wouldn't see there ghost in the sequel trilogy.

Need me some more Ewan as Obi-Wan.

Agreed. I would love for Ewan to be able to shine in a proper Star Wars film as Obi-Wan. For me, Ewan and some of McDiarmid's work are the sole redeeming elements of the prequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"