Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

:funny: Ewan must be dying to be in another star wars film. You hear that, Disney?!

It is like he is yelling, "come, get me!!!" :woot:

Something I cooked up. Come on Disney.

Kenobi A Star Wars Story Poster.

Ray Park just said recently he still wants to be Maul in a new SW film...

This would be the one. The ending of the film could be their fight. Cue Duel of the Fates.

Ray Park just said recently he still wants to be Maul in a new SW film...

This would be the one. The ending of the film could be their fight. Cue Duel of the Fates.
It's a little late for that....Don't read below if you haven't seen the lastest episode of Rebels.

Kenobi and Maul already had their last duel with Obi killing him.

Speaking of the antagonist, if you ask me, A'Sharad Hett would be an ideal villain. They've shown they're willing to utilize old EU characters.
asharad-hett-e1469057653565.jpg

a part of me dies every time this is bumped without actual news

disney, this is the one potential prequel I care about. Do it.

I'm not completely sold on this as a story. But I am sold on the idea of McGregor playing the role again. I want this movie to happen just for that, really. He is that perfect as Kenobi.

I am fairly convinced at some point we will see Ewan as Obi wan again whether its in his own solo or another star wars episode or spin off.

I am fairly convinced at some point we will see Ewan as Obi wan again whether its in his own solo or another star wars episode or spin off.

Wouldn't surprise me if he appeared in the Last Jedi as a Force Ghost.

Rumors have started up again regarding an announcement of the Obi spinoff: https://moviepilot.com/p/a-gareth-edwards-led-obi-wan-kenobi-movie-seems-likely/4238209

Like the #HanSolo film, which was conceived by Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer of both The Force Awakens and Empire Strikes Back, there has been another character that many at Lucasfilm have been trying to crack. And they might just have settled on the right pitch for the long-rumored spinoff movie: Obi-Wan Kenobi.

A 'Kenobi: A Star Wars Story' Movie Might Be In The Works

According to Star Wars News Net and Entertainment Weekly's Anthony Breznican, an #ObiWan spin-off film has always been in the cards, but according to the former, Lucasfilm may be confident enough to formally announce the project at Star Wars Celebration Orlando. The convention, which will be held from April 13–16, will celebrate everything Star Wars during its run. More significantly, they will be heralding the original film's 40th anniversary, something which will leave room for a ton of surprises. There have also been discussions about Obi-Wan appearing in the sequel trilogy, but whether that will come to light will be a longer wait.

Keep in mind that this is currently stands as a rumor, but a very plausible one. Unless Star Wars News Net reports off message boards like Reddit and 4Chan, the source is usually on point when it comes to their coverage. And Breznican is one of the best and most well-connected in the business. But to be safe, take this with a grain of salt.

Ewan McGregor Will Reportedly Be Reprising His Role As Obi-Wan Kenobi

The report further states that the company intends to bring #EwanMcGregor back as the Jedi Knight. It shouldn't be a surprise as he has been eager to jump back into the role, and it just makes sense from a continuity standpoint.

Over a decade since he last portrayed the character in Revenge of the Sith, McGregor is the perfect age to step back into the franchise, especially since the #KathleenKennedy and Lucasfilm are developing a film set between the original and prequel trilogies. Whether the story will take place before or after his monumental appearance on Star Wars Rebels is still in question.

Lucasfilm Supposedly Wants Gareth Edwards To Direct

Though the whole existence of a #Kenobi standalone film is a huge surprise, what may be an even bigger one is the return of Gareth Edwards in the director chair. Known for his work on Godzilla and Rogue One, Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy reportedly wants the director back for another Star Wars story. Through re-shoots and story changes, it seems that Kennedy was very happy with the way the director handled much of the situation, patting the Edwards on the back for being an adaptable director.

Though he may be returning, the teams producing and writing the film will all be different. Hopefully, the director makes it a priority to capture the character, something both of his previous films lacked. Though a new and fresh perspective may be preferred, the film is shaping to seem very different from #RogueOne.

What Could It Be About?

All the evidence points to an #ObiWanKenobi movie in the works, with Star Wars News Net reporting that promo materials are being prepped for Star Wars Celebration. Due to the good-standing reputation of the site, it is safe to say that this may be more than just a rumor. But what can an Ewan McGregor standalone film set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope be about?

Here's what we know:
Ben Kenobi stayed in exile in Tatooine post-Revenge of the Sith.
He looked over Luke Skywalker as he grew older.
A couple of years before A New Hope, he has his final encounter with Darth Maul.

Knowing these points, it's hard to see where Lucasfilm can go with the character. Since the Maul arc has already been covered it seems that the company may take the character somewhere that fans wouldn't have anticipated. It's possible a threat outside of Tatooine will bring the Jedi Knight out of hiding one last time. It is also possible that a character piece can be made on Tatooine in the vein of Logan. But whatever they decide, it is sure to give fans what they want.

Meh not buying it. Not sure why there needs to be an Obi-Wan spinoff either. Dude was just hanging out on Tatooine for 20 years to watch Luke Skywalker and make sure he was safe.

Look at his episode of Rebels, even in Rebels Obi-Wan and Darth Maul barely did anything for that one episode which was very anticlimactic. Ezra couldn't exactly go on some grand big adventure with old Ben Kenobi.

My one big question about this is: Obviously Joel Edgerton returning as Owen is a given, but what about Beru? The Prequel actress hasn't exactly done anything since the bit part in Star Wars, and if she can't really act, that could be a problem.

Please please please make it happen. Ewan as Obi-wan kenobi was one of the best things about the PT. I adore him in the same manner as the character that Sir Alec portrayed him in the OT. I can say the same about the character in TCW and the episode in Rebels season III.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if Satine makes it in there - maybe as a flashback or something. I know she was modeled after Cate Blanchett and oh my, I think Cate would be a great choice to play the Duchess of Mandalore. Even the actress herself has said she would like to have a role in a SW film. I am up for it. I love to see Ewan and Cate work together. :) They are awesome :hrt:

I'd prefer a Boba Fett or a Knights of Ren movie. I'm tired of prequels, of going into a movie essentially knowing what will happen by films end. Like we did for the Prequels and Rogue One. Time to expand the universe a little.

I think many would be shocked at this point if an Obi Wan Movie did not happen.

The fans want it, Disney and LucasArts haven't exactly denied the reports so it feels more like a waiting game if anything to confirmation.

Last edited:
THR AUGUST 17, 2017:
'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive)
Borys Kit said:
Oscar-nominated filmmaker Stephen Daldry is in early talks for the film, which would center on the Jedi Master who has been played by both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor.

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ new hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Bob Fett, among others.

In the original Star Wars trilogy, Kenobi was at first a desert-dwelling and war-weary hermit who later proved to be a wise and powerful warrior, brandishing a light saber. He was briefly a mentor to a young Luke before being cut down by Darth Vader, his former pupil. Alec Guinness played Kenobi, garnering him an Oscar nomination to boot.

The character got star treatment in the George Lucas-directed prequels which told the origin of Vader and his betrayal of Kenobi and the Jedis. McGregor has said he would be open to playing the character again. Sources stress, however, that since there is no script, no actor is attached.

Daldry hails from the theater world and made his feature debut with Billy Elliot, which netted him his first directing Oscar nomination. He followed that up with searing dramas The Hours and The Reader, which also netted him directing nominations.

He most recently directed episodes of Netflix’s period drama The Crown, which put him into play in this Emmy season.

He is repped by CAA.

The only stand alone/inbetweenquel/known character solo adventure I wanted.
Very happy

Hope they move on from those after this

Glad we're moving into unknown territory with a new premise. Wait...

My cynicism aside, given this franchise's unwillingness so far to touch on some part of Star Wars mythos we haven't seen before, hopefully it gets a good director and writer attached to convince me otherwise.

Awesome, been really wanting this to happen. :up::up:

This was the only stand alone featuring a character from Ep 1-6 I really wanted to see.

So is this confirmation that an Obi-Wan movie is happening?

If so, this is great news, an Obi-Wan spinoff is something I've been wanting. Of course it's not necessary, but they might as well do it now since Ewan McGregor is the right age, I'd hate to see them pass up that opportunity. Plus, there's certainly more potential for this than a Han Solo origin move staring someone that looks nothing like Han. As long as they keep it confined to Tatooine and keep it small scale, it should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"