Excelsior! Ms. Marvel Reborn as Muslim-American Teenager

NickNitro

Extra Terrestrial
Reaction score
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...eborn-muslim-american-teenager-183043776.html

One of Marvel's most popular characters is getting a major makeover as a brand-new interpretation of Ms. Marvel will be hitting comic book stands next month. And emphasis on the "brand-new," as our new female superhero bears little to no resemblance to her predecessor.

The new Ms. Marvel is Kamala Khan, a 16-year-old Muslim-American teenager living in Jersey City and struggling with her parents' high expectations regarding a future she has little interest in. Then, one day, she's suddenly bestowed with super-powers and, well, that pretty much changes everything.

Comic Book Purists doing what they do best, ***** and moan.

1355531670525.gif

Well they (Marvel and DC) have tended to kill off various hyped minority characters when they get going. They killed of the Atom (DC) then brought back the old one, they killed Northstar (Marvel) around the same time as his wedding but brought him back thanks to ninja magic.

**** them. Marvel is fantastic. First they have a gay marriage, and now they make a Muslim WOMAN a superhero! Give power to the powerless, give it to the cast out and the meek. Make them stronger than all of us, and you'll see them grow.

This is the true soul of the superhero mantra, to be able to transcend your body to become something greater, against diversity. I hope this move by Marvel gives Muslim girls, women all over the world hope that they can strive to be stronger than they ever dreamed.

Thought you meant me for a sec Nick. :p

I'm fine with diversity in comics. We could use more. If we have green Hulks and red Hulks and grey Hulks then we should have more diversity in non-hulk characters too.

lol no you just beat me to the post finish line ha

Awesome sauce, love to see people from the full gambit of life having a superhero they can look up to

I can dig it, what happened to blond one though? (I've never read any of the captain/ ms. Marvel comics).

I don't care what the purists and the haters say. I think it's a good move. It's obviously publicity-laden (how many other superheroes ever acknowledge what their religion even is?) but it's none the less a major step in the right direction.

I can dig it, what happened to blond one though? (I've never read any of the captain/ ms. Marvel comics).
She's still around as Captain Marvel as far as I know.

Well hopefully the new ms. Marvel ditches the moronic idea of allah by the time she gets her powers. I don't see any room for christian or muslim god in the marvel universe, with much more powerful beings being present. Funny enough they do have the devil though.

I feel dumber for having read that post.

Well ok, islam and christian god would be more likely in marvel universe I guess, with all the other mythic gods walking around. But so far Jesus hasn't been battling Dr. Doom in the comics. To my knowledge.

And anyway in a universe filled with superheroes and beings from other galaxies and things like Thanos and Galactus, I dont see how anyone could believe in god or allah.

I don't believe in organized religion, but I'm still baffled by how casually offensive you just were. you can't just Call somebody's faith moronic, regardless of what it is, especially in a public forum like this where there are openly Muslim posters.

Well ok, islam and christian god would be more likely in marvel universe I guess, with all the other mythic gods walking around. But so far Jesus hasn't been battling Dr. Doom in the comics. To my knowledge.

And anyway in a universe filled with superheroes and beings from other galaxies and things like Thanos and Galactus, I dont see how anyone could believe in god or allah.

I think it's time for you to take your half minded comments somewhere else sir.

Hmm... you have a point but I stand by my comment. I'm baffled by any woman who finds Islam a good religion for her. For men it's understandable. It's made for men. And in the context of this thread, what person in their right mind in Marvel universe would believe the nonsense of Muhammad. Or the bible, to be fair.

Do you think women in Iraq choose to be subjugated? Do you know why you don't hear about many women rebelling, because they get ****ing killed.

There's a thread on Religion and Atheism for this sort of debate. I know, Nick. It could escalate though.

Last edited:
This isn't a debate so much as a blind awakening for one individual.

There's a thread on Religion and Atheism for this sort of debate.

Indeed. Just talking about the new character. I'm sure her faith doesn't come to play in the comics all that much, it's just in her biography that she happens to be a muslim. And it makes the news when a character differs from the norm. That's why this is so stupid. They dont mention the religions of other characters. So of course if her religion plays a part in her character in some way, I feel I can comment it.

Hmm... you have a point but I stand by my comment. I'm baffled by any woman who finds Islam a good religion for her. For men it's understandable. It's made for men. And in the context of this thread, what person in their right mind in Marvel universe would believe the nonsense of Muhammad. Or the bible, to be fair.
You are conflating two different things. I'm not Muslim but I know a little more about their faith and Arab culture than you do apparently.

What you're refering to is a cultural, not religious artifact that has become intertwined with the faith. It's primarily only Arab culture which deems women to be so veiled and submissive. And even in that context it's not a universal belief in the Middle East.

Look at any Asian country with a predominately Muslim majority and you won't see the same kind of classic stereotyping of Muslim women.

Do you think women in Iraq choose to be subjugated? Do you know why you don't hear about many women rebelling, because they get ****ing killed.

Oh this was for me? Well of course women who are born in islamic countries or are born in islamic family, don't get to choose anything.
What I was saying is that hopefully this new ms. Marvel ditches the oppressing religion as she gains her powers and probably new understanding about her universe. That doesn't fit inside bible or quran.

You are conflating two different things. I'm not Muslim but I know a little more about their faith and Arab culture than you do apparently.

What you're refering to is a cultural, not religious artifact that has become intertwined with the faith. It's primarily only Arab culture which deems women to be so veiled and submissive. And even in that context it's not a universal belief in the Middle East.

Look at any Asian country with a predominately Muslim majority and you won't see the same kind of classic stereotyping of Muslim women.

Women still have to cover themselves in those asian countries, where as men do not have to. And I do think the problem is in the religion itself, and not the culture. Even though it can also have an affect. It is in the quran that women are not equal to men and that it's ok to punish them and whatnot if they dont behave. But this is a topic to another thread.

*reads title thread*

Oh that's nice, I guess.

*reads nouan's posts*

LHpnVYV.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"