Eye Contact .. How much do you give?

SpideyVille

Walking out the Desert
Reaction score
So I noticed this for a while, but whenever I'm walking down the street, I notice different kind of reactions whenever I pass by people. Some people will stare straight ahead and not acknowledge others, while some will look me straight in the eyes, and others will just look completely around as if they're trying to find something to look at to avoid eye contact.

So I ask, what do you do in situations like this? Not just walking down the street, but also talking to people or during any other kind of human interaction with someone. What kind of eye contact do you give, and why?

Personally, I'm one of the people that gives some eye contact while passing by, but then I also look around so that people don't think I'm intentionally staring at them. But when talking to someone, I find it extremely difficult to look someone in the eye for long, especially when I'm listening to someone talk a lot. Maybe it's because I somewhat shy, but I just find it uncomfortable to look someone in the eyes for long.

Maybe it's because I somewhat shy, but I just find it uncomfortable to look someone in the eyes for long.

No, that is just natural, if someone stares for too long into your eyes, it feels uncomfortable, so it does not feel comfortable to do that.

You just have to go with the flow of the conversation, and lose your self concious side, then, according to whatever the conversation is, serious, small talk, humourous, vaugley interesting, amazingly interesting...you find yourself giving the requisite amount of eye contact.
Like, if it's a convo where you are both having a right good laugh, there will be a lot of eye contact, but if you become self concious of that, esp if you are talking to someone you like but don't know *that* well, a budding friend or someone you fancy, you might overdo it and end up giving too much eyeball and risk putting a dampner on the laffs, but if it is a v funny convo and you are getting on, you will be let off with some overeyeballing, and the convo will resume as normal. and that is just one example, there are others, like if it is a deadly serious convo, say something sad has happened in the person's life, you will probably find yourself keeping eye contact for a lot of the time you are talking, but have them on immediate eyeball drop standby in case you overdo it, perhaps dropping the eye contact as soon as you have made your point, so's it does not feel like you are prying into the person's pain. Giving them some emotional privacy, but not so much that you are not taking time to check they are alright.
I am just thinking about this as i type it up, in words, is sounds so complicated, but in action it is very natural, and you do these things without thinking about it too much.
But, if you are self concious about yourself at all, chronic shyness or whatever, then you will find these natural responses come out fractured somewhat. So, you have to try and lose that, I mean, you sound like you have a handle on what is appropriate if you don't feel natural staring into a person's eyeballs for too long, you shouldn't.

Up until a couple of years ago, I used to avoid all eye contact with strangers while i was walking down the street, because I was very self concious physically, just wanted to frickin' get past them as quick as possible, lol.
But nowadays, I look at a lot of people in the street, and you do get all kinds of reactions, as you say, it's very interesting. I always feel sorry for the type that I used to be when I look at them. I want to chase them down the street and shout 'It's ok! don't freak out! I used to be a self concious nut as well! Just look! Look in people 's diretcions and eyes! It's ok! It's interesting and sometimes you even get a cool look of recognition as if you are both on the same wavelength or something, like us!' lol
but i don't of course, but if i do end up in a convo with someone who is like that, i try to put them straight on the whole eyeball dilemma, and how it is not such a big deal, and how i used to be like that. I suppose much as i am trying to do now.
But, i can see why it can be such a big deal for some people, for instance, i don't blame a woman if she looks quickly away from you, as a lot of guys will be giving the leery eyeball, and that is what they are used to, but sometimes you will past a cool, smart girl with good instincts and they will give you a cool eyeballing back as they know that's not why you are eyeballing them, you are just being friendly and curious about people.

Also, if it is late at night, and I am the only person on the street and another person comes towards me i almost always say 'hello.' 'hi' or 'alright?', and give a small amount of eye contact, just to put the person at ease somewhat, and it's v cool when the person says 'alright.' back at you, they are almost relived you are not some night time nut, lol, common courtesy moments between strangers like that is great.

edit: also, posting up massive posts can be like giving too much eye contact, so sorry if i freaked you out there, but if you want an answe beyond, just be natural with it and don't be a weirdo', you have to go into *some* detail. now, please stop reading my post/looking into my eyeballs, you are freaking me out.

Last edited:
Enough that it makes them uncomfortable.

Enough that it makes them uncomfortable.

You would have loved my 10th grade History teacher. He would stare at whoever would dare make eye contact with him when he was talking, and would locked in on you until you could not take it anymore. Oh yeah he would move closer to you as he was talking to you until he was almost right up to your face. My friend attempted to see how long he could go without looking away and he did it for 5 minutes straight but eventually he couldn't take it anymore and had to look away.

i find young women with prams like to look in your eyes as they pass, if you've been courteous in letting them pass on narrow pavements.

I used to have trouble looking people in the eye. Now I get told I glare at people. :doh:

If I'm talking to a friend, I'm usually staring off into space when talking to them or looking at my surroundings. If it's someone else, I look right at them to figure out what kind of person they are.

When i walk on the street I just look towards the ground ahead of me, and sometimes look up if someone is walking my way.

I do this while I talk to myself in a Christopher Walken voice.

Forever Alone.

Last edited:
Most time than not, making eye contact when talking to people is supposedly good manners. I find that makes things uncomfortable for the person you're looking at.

You would have loved my 10th grade History teacher. He would stare at whoever would dare make eye contact with him when he was talking, and would locked in on you until you could not take it anymore. Oh yeah he would move closer to you as he was talking to you until he was almost right up to your face. My friend attempted to see how long he could go without looking away and he did it for 5 minutes straight but eventually he couldn't take it anymore and had to look away.
That kinda reminds me of my art professor. He likes to talk to people while he goes around the class, and since I've known him for a while he usually talks to me. But it's weird because I'd only have a few hours to work on a painting and he would come up to me while I'm trying to focus just to start up a conversation where he just rambles for like 5-10 mins straight. And if someone makes eye contact with him, he'll start talking to them as well. I've learned to just deal with by making some eye contact, mixed with a look at something else in the room, followed by a look back at my painting, and finally back to the eye contact to show him I'm still listening.

If I am talking to someone then I would make direct eye contact. If I am walking down the street, minding my own business, then I usually just look at the ground ahead of me and look up if I'm going to bump into someone.

People that look into my eyes die horrible deaths.

When I'm walking on the streets I normally look at my surroundings.

When I'm walking on the strees with sunglasses on then I tend to look at the hot chicks who don't notice my wandering eyes checking them out. :up:

When I'm talking to co-workers I do the normal amount of eye contact.

I used to be self conscious when I was younger too that I would wear a baseball cap to cover part of my face in public only now I wear a cap because I hate combing my hair.

When I'm walking on the strees with sunglasses on then I tend to look at the hot chicks who don't notice my wandering eyes checking them out. :up:
20b1dtw.jpg

If I'm talking to someone, it's 85% percent direct eye contact with the occasional side glances to make it less awkward.

If I'm just walking around, I'm usually looking at the boobies.

My friend and I used to sit outside an area where there were a lot of bars/clubs and just try to make eye contact with women who passed by. It gleaned some interesting results sometimes. The amount of double takes, almost trippings, giggling to her friends and winks you receive will surprise you. Just do not break eye contact. It will be difficult initially, but the responses will be at the very least, entertaining.

You can do this anywhere, I've done this in a mall, inside a bar/club, etc... but I don't recommend a Wal-Mart... that might produce less than stellar results.

Thanks tips!

If people stare at me too long I usually tell them to **** off or buy me dinner first.

Last edited:
I'm staring at you* too long at this very moment.

*you = your avatar

Most time than not, making eye contact when talking to people is supposedly good manners. I find that makes things uncomfortable for the person you're looking at.

Back in the day when i would avoid eye contact due to being not comfortable with myself, i would find that people would be looking at me as if to invite eye contact, and could end up looking somewhat disapointed if i did not give it, as if they wanted to open up more communication with me.

Basic nuts and bolts for me is...tentatively check out how much the person is comfortable with and keep it to that degree, whether it's a look, don't look, look, don't look, or a total stare anywhere but my eyes please, but even then, I find that those people do end up looking at you in the eye, even if for only a moment or two here and there , if you are communicating with them in a meaningful way. It's as if they are fed up giving out their eye contact to people who don't care what they say, but if you do, and are listening to them, they will offer eye contact.

you can't blame knowsbleed - it is a tasty avatar. :awesome:

I’m kind of all over the place. Some days I make hardly any eye contact, other days, I’m really good with it. It all depends on the person and situation. Funnily enough, I was much less self conscious about it when I was younger. From a " eye contact with the hot chick" standpoint, I'm trying to force myself to keep eye contact when I catch them looking at me. I usually catch the ladies eyeballing me, then and get shy and look away. Same thing for when they catch me. Oddly enough, its easier when they DON'T smile, because then you're all like..."well, um....what now? walk over there? smile back? make a face like this: :awesome:? or this: :argh:?"

I try not to give too much eye contact, because I think diverting your gaze some during conversations makes it easier for the other person. Not from a comfort standpoint, but I think it makes for a less visually monotonous conversation, so instead of being locked in a staring contest, you actually get to WATCH the other person, too.

What is the MOST awkward is when you’re walking down a long hallway and there is someone approaching from the opposite direction. What do you do? Look at them the entire time until you pass each other? Avoid contact until then? Happens in my office all the time.

What is the MOST awkward is when you’re walking down a long hallway and there is someone approaching from the opposite direction. What do you do? Look at them the entire time until you pass each other? Avoid contact until then? Happens in my office all the time.

I have horrible vision, so I mostly squint at them until I can recognize who they are.

I usually give eye contact while conversating. Not usually in passing.

Are Marylanders scared of passive eye contactimusitis?

Enough to get it across that if I ever see you in an alleyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"