Eye Contact .. How much do you give?

Yeah. LOL! Nah, if I know you and we are talking, I'll look people in the eyes. Or if I'm at work, I'll give people my full attention.

But if we are strangers, walking or something, I'll take it with disrespect, because that is the way I was raised. Plus, in my culture it is disrespectful to look someone in the eyes, unless its a girl or something.

Huh. I've been taught if you don't look people in the eyes they WON'T respect you. Consequently I look everyone in the eyes.

I think that's with dogs.

It worked on snakes too in the latest Karate Kid movie.

I have autism, so it's kind of hard for me to maintain eye contact with someone. It mostly depends on how well I know that person, or how comfortable I feel around them.

I give zero eye contact.

The only times I've initiated eye contact have been in confrontational situations.

I was raised to avoid eye contact, as well.

One of the times when i feel it can be most awkward is when you're walking down a long street alone and there's only one person walking towards you. You can't help but notice them, but at the same time, you don't want to stare at them.
When that happens to me I tend to walk a little faster just to avoid eye contact. :woot:

My friend and I used to sit outside an area where there were a lot of bars/clubs and just try to make eye contact with women who passed by. It gleaned some interesting results sometimes. The amount of double takes, almost trippings, giggling to her friends and winks you receive will surprise you. Just do not break eye contact. It will be difficult initially, but the responses will be at the very least, entertaining.

You can do this anywhere, I've done this in a mall, inside a bar/club, etc... but I don't recommend a Wal-Mart... that might produce less than stellar results.
Never quite like you describe, but ^ this is one of my favorite passtimes now, and you're right the results are interesting.

In the culture I grew up in, if you avoided eye contact it meant you were a weak p***y or unconfident.

Last edited:
It does mean that sometimes. I never back down from a stare unless it goes to three seconds

I give a lot of eye contact. It lets the person know that I am paying attention when they are talking. It also intimidates them, or it can...arouse them. There are several reasons for giving a lot of eye contact. The trick is to not actually look into their eyes though. You just look at the spot between both eyes, and it makes you look like you're staring right at them.

I usually do. People don't like it though because I squint quite a bit due to poor eyesight so I look like I'm glaring at them really menacingly when I'm not.

^As you should be. Let's them know whose wearing the pants up in here.

I give a lot of eye contact. It lets the person know that I am paying attention when they are talking. It also intimidates them, or it can...arouse them.
I have a female co-worker who is in a higher position than me and will give me eye contact when instructing me on things and sometimes she'll be staring down when talking about random stuff.

I'd like to think that maybe she avoids eye contact because secretly she wants me and feels guilty about it. :woot:

I can make eye contact... with shades on. :ninja:

Meh. I prefer not to make contact. The eyes are usually the windows to your soul. I believe people can read your thoughts and intentions when you look directly at them. Straying away from eye contact makes you unpredictable and invisible.

Might sound silly but it worked for me when I use to attend Karate tournaments.

I give a lot of eye contact. It lets the person know that I am paying attention when they are talking. It also intimidates them, or it can...arouse them. There are several reasons for giving a lot of eye contact. The trick is to not actually look into their eyes though. You just look at the spot between both eyes, and it makes you look like you're staring right at them.
Yup. Plus if you artfully look away every once in a while when a girl is talking it drives them nuts for you.

I can make eye contact... with shades on. :ninja:
I was outside with a friend of mine yesterday and I was doing alright with the eye contact with her, but then she put on her shades and I just couldn't do it anymore.

Yup. Plus if you artfully look away every once in a while when a girl is talking it drives them nuts for you.
One time I was with a female friend of mine at a McDonald's and ever so often I kept shifting my eyes because its like an uncontrollable habit of mine where I always look around just to see what's going on around me, especially when I see something from the corner of my eye coming up behind me. I did that while a girl passed by and my friend thought I was checking the girl out.

I was outside with a friend of mine yesterday and I was doing alright with the eye contact with her, but then she put on her shades and I just couldn't do it anymore.

Haha, gotta love the shades move. :word:

What's funny about the shades though is when it comes down to two individuals, it's basically a useless ploy. You should have kept staring at her. She probably would've broken again. :meanie:

I usually do. People don't like it though because I squint quite a bit due to poor eyesight so I look like I'm glaring at them really menacingly when I'm not.
My jiu jitsu coach does the exact same thing. I've heard so many people say, "I don't think Henry likes me; he always gives me dirty looks." And I have to tell them no, he's just blind. :hehe:

One time I was with a female friend of mine at a McDonald's and ever so often I kept shifting my eyes because its like an uncontrollable habit of mine where I always look around just to see what's going on around me, especially when I see something from the corner of my eye coming up behind me. I did that while a girl passed by and my friend thought I was checking the girl out.
Everyone does, that's pretty normal for humans to survey their surroundings, always have, always will. However if your tendency is to look down and away it communicates and lack of confidence. If you look up or sideways it tends to make you appear calm and in control.

Haha, gotta love the shades move. :word:
Ha Ha yes the shades come real handy when you want to scope out chicks.

It's especially cool if you're in a busy crowded place with lots of people, I'll take out my cellphone pretending to be texting when secretly I'm taking pics of girls in skirts.

i am terrible at maintaining eye contact. for one, i don't think my attention span lets me focus that long and i get uncomfortable after a while.

i can usually look someone in the eyes briefly when talking but then i kinda have to mentally "zoom out" and look at them but not really look at them

To get their attention,I always look them in the eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"