Famous turning points and shake ups in comics.

They vanished behind the colossal X-Men shadow. Bendis made them the premiere team and franchise again. He made them visible.

I mean, consider all of Marvel in the 90s. X-Men was the number 1 franchise followed by Spider-Man. Avengers would be 3rd or 4th, depending on where 2099 fell. Heck, Fantastic Four might have even beat it out around the late 300s, about when Fantastic Force was coming out as well.

Surprised no one's mentioned Swamp Thing #21, "The Anatomy Lesson", by Alan Moore.

Speaking of Swamp Thing, I'd consider Rick Veitch quitting the book a turning point as well. Having read the infamous "Swamp Thing Meets Jesus" script and seeing the art, it would have no doubt have been an incredible issue. And had Veitch etch stuck around to finish his run, Jamie Delano and Neil Gaiman would have taken over the book. Instead, he quit, Gaiman and Delano bowed out and the book languished in varrying mediocrity until cancellation.

I would love to be able to read that script... :up:

That Jurgens run was nothing short of amazing. He pretty much did the entire run of Vol 2 save for the Ragnarok arc that Oeming took care of. It brings up an interesting question, why didn't Jurgens stick around. I really can't remember for the life of me? Was he simply done? Was he pissed that they were cancelling the book for Disassembled?
I think he was just done. The King Thor Saga occupied a good half of that series, so it was clearly his magnum opus for Thor, and it had a coherent ending and all. I doubt there was any bad blood; I certainly haven't heard anything about that.

There can never be enough good said about Thor my friend (and Simonson's run was one of the best and most important for comics). I remember a highlight for me was the Clark Kent cameo! :word:
Ha, that was a fun little easter egg. :D

'Nuff Said month... that was a bomb of an event. Marvel wanted to prove that their art could portray the story without dialogue, because they were THAT good, and I ended up only liking maybe 2 or 3 issues that I read for that entire month. I don't even remember what they were.

And yeah, I read the issue following his death, starting when Thor was running toward the wreckage of his chariot (I think that's what it was) and then I read Ragnarok, which was amazing. I remember there was a promotion at the time saying someone major would die in either Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, or Incredible Hulk sometime in a 3 or 4 issue span. I was suckered into that and bought all four for the first two or three months but lost interest and dropped them all. I don't recall for certain but I remember something about Gladiator in Thor (I think it was Thor) that I really liked but I dropped it there. Shocker showed up in Iron Man, which was cool for me. I remember Captain America was mediocre (Protocide era I think) and Incredible Hulk just sucked.

Anyhow, I eventually found out that Odin was the death but my little grocery story had already sold out of it before I could pick it up. I grabbed the next issue but my mom cut my comic spending at the time and I didn't get beyond that first issue.
Well, Thor's 'Nuff Said issue was pretty awesome. It's about Thor, Balder, Sif, and Loki remembering Odin. Loki's scene in particular is great. The artist was Stuart Immonen, long before he'd refined his style into the slick, clean, almost cartoonish style he uses today. The Thor issue was rough and had big pools of shadow and silhouettes and such. It looks almost painterly and, while I prefer Immonen's current style, the style he used then was perfectly suited to Thor.

And you are thinking about the correct period. The story just before the one Odin dies in features a future version of Gladiator being sent back in time by Zarrko, the Tomorrow Man (great villain who unfortunately never seems to be used anymore) to kill Thor before he can do all the terrible stuff he does in the King Thor Saga.

Yeah, some were clunkers but "Nuff Said" did really produce quite a few quality issues. The ASM and New X-Men issues were very memorable as well as the Thor one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"