Fat Tonie Doesn't Know Anything About Football

Then I am a Pat fan... always have been... always will be....

Leave it as is.

After playing 60 minutes of football to a standstill, a random toss of a coin doesn't come across like a dealbreaker. Don't give up a huge runback or let the offense drive ~50 yards for a FG or better. Go out and stop somebody.

I wish the NCAA would consider doing something to the college format. It turns a previously interesting game into a bloody circus.

You can't let a coin flip determine the outsome of a game.

Do it NHL Shot Out Style. Both teams get a certain # of chances starting from their own 20. 2 minute drill style.

A coin flip doesn't determine the game. A defense and special teams unit not playing well determines the game.

A coin flip doesn't determine the game. A defense and special teams unit not playing well determines the game.

If you have two teams that are brutal on defense the chances of getting a field goal are almost automatic if either team wins the coin flip. I mean in every other sport in OT both teams have a shot to score, wether it is extra innings or whatever. That was my only point.

Doesn't the team that wins the coin flip only score 30% of the time or something like that?

If you have two teams that are brutal on defense the chances of getting a field goal are almost automatic if either team wins the coin flip. I mean in every other sport in OT both teams have a shot to score, wether it is extra innings or whatever. That was my only point.

BAseball is different. Some times there is truly nothing the defense can do (Manny Rameriez is the first batter in extra innings against a worn out pitcher who was the last in the bull pen). Basketball, soccer, and hockey are all very different games in which possession of the ball or puck changes by the second. Football is a game where a strong defense can and should be able to hold a team for 4 downs. If your defense does the job, your offense will get the chance.

Doesn't the team that wins the coin flip only score 30% of the time or something like that?
I came across this on a Giants message board. Apparently, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms, after the Colts/Chargers game, had a discussion on overtime as it currently stands. These were the stats that were brought up:
27 yard line opening possession

Last 5 years (72 over Time Games)
39% on opening coin toss - There was no 2nd possession
62% of games are won by winner of opening coin toss

This year:
16 Over Time Games
8 teams won on opening drive (no second possession)
One of the subsequent responses echoed my thoughts on the matter:
If am not mistaken I am reading this like this:
Last 5 years (72 over Time Games)
39% on opening coin toss - There was no 2nd possession (So 61% of the teams that lost the coin toss got a possession)

This year:
16 Over Time Games
8 teams won on opening drive (no second possession)(So the other 8 teams did get a possession and could have won the game on thier one possession)

I like it how it is. If you loose the coin toss then your D has to step up. No changes are necessary.
Another discussion on a Chargers board indicates that Nantz said it's likely the rule will be under review this offseason.
Watching Inside NFL and they had a debate between jim Nantz and Phil Simms. Nantz says that more than likely OT rules will be changed this offseason and it will be known as the "Peyton Manning Rule". What a ****ing joke.

Nantz wined and cried that it was not fair that Peyton did not have a chance. Simms brought up the point that only 50% of the OT games were won this year on the first drive, but Nantz still said it was not fair.

On another point, Simms brought up the PI call in OT. He said that Polian crying about the Patriots mugging their receivers is the reason the PI rules were changed, and the Colts can blame themselves for that call.

They said there is a poll on the OT question on Inside The NFL website for those that care.
That Chargers board is always entertaining.

No one whines about the coin toss at the beginning of the game. I'm sure there's a stat about the win-loss percentage of whomever wins the toss. However, that stat doesn't take into consideration the individual players on either team, and how that unit performs. There is more to football than stats and probability. It's not like letting the computer simulate a season on Madden. Just like in the game, the defense and offense has to come through, the same is applicable during overtime but with tougher consequences.

You never hear the players whine about it

I came across this on a Giants message board. Apparently, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms, after the Colts/Chargers game, had a discussion on overtime as it currently stands. These were the stats that were brought up:
One of the subsequent responses echoed my thoughts on the matter:

Another discussion on a Chargers board indicates that Nantz said it's likely the rule will be under review this offseason.

That Chargers board is always entertaining.

If this rule is actually changed and named the Peyton Manning rule, I'm going to glsap every member of the rule committee. Then again, its Nantz saying it, so who knows? Jim Nantz and Phil Simms are the AICN of football.

Funny how the NFL and most announcers and analysts stand by the current overtime system and say the defense needs to make a play any time it has happened before, but when Peyton Manning is deprived and the media is deprived their circus that would've been a Manning brother Super Bowl, the rule needs changed?

I'd like to see both teams get the chance to score in OT. Don't let the outcome of a game rest on a coin. Yes, I know, they're professional defenses - and what? If one team scores on another's defense then let the opposite (professional) defense make a stop & preserve their team's win.

Not all the time, but don't the majority of the teams that win the toss score on the opening drive of OT.

Not all the time, but don't the majority of the teams that win the toss score on the opening drive of OT.

You must've missed the post that showed the statistic that only 39 % do.

I must have. Point I'm trying to make is that I don't think the game should be won with a flip of a coin - whether teams that win the toss score 39% or 75% of the time on the opening drive of OT. Give both teams a chance to score, both defenses a chance to preserve a win for their team, and while they're at it, do away with ties.

You do know that since the rule change in 1974, there's only been a whopping 17 tie games, with only 4 after 1989. Compared to the amount of tie games before 1974, 17 ties in 35 years is nothing serious

You do know that since the rule change in 1974, there's only been a whopping 17 tie games, with only 4 after 1989. Compared to the amount of tie games before 1974, 17 ties in 35 years is nothing serious

That I do know. Doesn't change my opinion. I think they should be done away with. Where else in pro sports do you not have a game that ends in a win or loss?

Both teams do have a chance to score.

*Sigh*

You know what I mean. Quit being a smarty pants. :cmad:

Futbol or Fußball (soccer for us in the states), Hockey, Boxing, Chess, Cricket, Horse Racing, Aussie Rules Football, Rugby League

Futbol or Fußball (soccer for us in the states), Hockey, Boxing, Chess, Cricket, Horse Racing, Aussie Rules Football, Rugby League

There you go. And that's why most of those sports, minus a couple, are all irrelevant in the US.

And (NHL) hockey games no longer end in ties.

I don't think ties are the reason they're irrelevant.

No, it isn't, but the fact is that they are so you can't really compare them to the NFL.

They're still sports that have professional players. Whether they being irrelevant or not to US sports leagues is a separate discussion. What matters is you asked "Where else in pro sports do you not have a game that ends in a win or loss?", and I gave several. Since the NHL uses shootouts, I'll cede hockey. That still leaves 7 sports, other than professional US football, that has games that end in a tie or draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"