Final Destination Reboot | WB/New Line

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
'Final Destination' Reboot in the Works With 'Saw' Franchise Writers (Exclusive)

New Line is gearing up for another trip with Death.

The company is restarting its Final Destination horror franchise, hiring scary movie mavens Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to pen the script.

Final Destination proved to be a cornerstone for New Line’s horror business in the early 2000s. The first movie, released in 2000, set up the conceit: a character has a premonition of a horrific and deadly event, cheats his or her own death and saves several other lives’ in the process, only to have Death, as an unpersonified but unstoppable force, come, one by one, for the survivors.

I always quite liked the idea behind the movies, and the deaths were entertaining in a 'guess what happens next' kind of way.

I would've gotten the Scream guys to reboot it rather than SAW alumn

But then again, those guys are better suited to reboot Scream one day so they are better off working on that one.
jOgsyyQC_o.png

Eh... I'd have to go with studio thinking on this one. Final Destination and SAW are both centered around rube goldberg contraptions, it keeps with the same line of thinking.

That logging truck scene has to be one of the most iconic Horror scenes of all time. Every time someone switches lanes on the interstate to get from behind a logging truck, you know that there's a really good chance that they thought "nope, I'm not doing a Final Destination."

The first film was really good and the 2nd one was good, until they killed off the most likeable character in the franchise (Clear Rivers). I didn't really like the 3rd or 4th films and the 5th was decent, especially with that twist ending! I'm curious to see what direction they go with this reboot!

Ps: I'm still mad they killed off Clear! Her, Alex and Carter were really good in the first film! Plus, Ali Larter > AJ Cook and any of the leads that came afterwards lol

The third one is gleeful gory fun, it's actually my second favorite.

F2
F3
F1
F5
F4

Fourth one is the worst. One of the few times that I've walked out of a screening room genuinely annoyed.

The third one is gleeful gory fun, it's actually my second favorite.

F2
F3
F1
F5
F4

Fourth one is the worst. One of the few times that I've walked out of a screening room genuinely annoyed.

For me it goes:

F1
F2
F5
F3
F4

So we at least agree that number 4 was the worst in the series. Lol

If there were ever going to do a reboot I wish it would've gone to someone else but I'm down.

I have enjoyed most of the movies in this franchise besides The Final Destination. Final Destination 2 is still favorite and then its the first movie at close second. When I initially saw Final Destination 3 in the theater I really enjoyed it as well, especially because of the crazy amount of gore, but as time went by I realized it just doesn't hold up as much, but I still like the movie and honestly I think its kind of the most underrated movie in the franchise.

Final Destination 5 was surprisingly decent, but that was the moment to end this franchise IMO. I'll watch another movie, but I honestly don't see what else they can do with it.

Last edited:
Jeffrey Reddick On the Social Horror of ‘Don’t Look Back’ and What’s Next from ‘Final Destination’ [Interview]

I’m working on a couple animated series for Netflix. All I can say is that it’s based on a popular children’s book. It’s really, really good. I’m really excited about it. And the other one, which I’m really excited about as well, is the spin-off of Usagi Yojimbo—Japanese comic book. I’m getting ready to write my third episode on that. They were working on a new Final Destination but that got pushed back because of COVID,” Reddick notes.

Reddick tells us that the new Final Destination is set in a different world but is not a reboot.

“It’s always: if the formula’s not broken, don’t fix it. But my thing is that Death has so many designs in my brain that it could use. Like, we’re seeing one design with the Rube Goldberg kind of thing. But Death could get us in so many ways,” Reddick teases. “In my original story, which was a little dark because I am a Nightmare on Elm Street fan, Death kind of toyed with them psychologically for some sin or some wrongdoing they did, and they ended up killing themselves. So, that was a little dark. I don’t think I would want to make that movie now, but I just think that Death—it would be fun to explore that world, almost like what we did with the second one. I want to expand on the mythology. If I came back, I would want to do something different.”

He continues, “I love Final Destination so much. I just think about that 14-year-old kid in Kentucky being like, ‘I’m going to be making movies and be in the movies.’ And then to have a movie come out that has left such an impact on people. I don’t want to die tomorrow, but I could die happy tomorrow because I know at least that movie is going to live on.”

Final Destination Creator Shares New Details About Reboot, Confirms Delays Due to COVID-19

Reddick and Final Destination producer Craig Perry have been continuously teasing the new ways to explore Death's design - like moving the focus from teens to people who encounter death as a daily hazard of their lives:

"We're toying with having it take place in the world of first responders: EMTs, firemen and police," Perry said in an interview. "These people deal with death on the front lines every day and make choices that can cause people to live or die. We rely on their good judgment, expertise, and calm demeanor. So why not put those people in the nightmare situation where every choice can bring about life and death – but now for themselves? We're thinking that the world might be an interesting way into a Final Destination movie, and one which can also generate unique set pieces in a very credible way... The last thing I'll say is, I don't think anybody will look at a revolving door in the same way again..."

I can be anti-00s in many cases so I will probably be a bit of a sour puss about Final Destination coming back.

70s and 80s horror is what tickles my fancy most in horror, although the 2000s decade for movies as a whole was damn good. I look at other aspects and feel the urge to say "Kill it with fire!" Horror movies of the era kind of fall into that. Along with music, TV in general, and animated TV specifically.

I appreciate this past decade a lot more across the board in pop culture. Probably has something to do with not being a teenager anymore but I still find myself feeling very negative towards the 00's period LOL. I just largely don't like the trends.

Last edited:
If Saw managed to have 9 movies... I don't see why this can't have more. Final Destination movies imo were at least intriguing and entertaining/somewhat suspenseful to watch especially with the premonition/death scenes.

Eh, why not? These movies are fun. I recently watched the fifth movie and it was the best one since the first. It was surprisingly good!

I'd rank:

FD1
FD5
FD3
FD2

FD4 (pretty ****ing bad)

I guess its cool they got someone like Watts on board for this who is pretty big right now, but I'm way more curious about who they will get to direct it although the HBO Max news doesn't increase my confidence at all.

It's weird to me seeing once really popular horror franchises like Final Destination and Paranormal Activity go straight to streaming when I can still remember seeing all the previous films in the theatre.

Final Destination 3 and Paranormal Activity 3 were some of the best moviegoing experiences I've ever had and that's why I will always have a soft spot for those sequels.

Big director on as producer doesn’t mean much in terms of quality.

I mean, James Wan produced the Mortal
Kombat remake. Sam Raimi produced the Poltergeist remake.

Big director on as producer doesn’t mean much in terms of quality.

I mean, James Wan produced the Mortal
Kombat remake. Sam Raimi produced the Poltergeist remake.
I did like this shot though:
tumblr_njbex2BfLR1tdkro1o3_500.gif

About damn time, been waiting forever for a new installment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"