Firefly is coming back! Maybe. Possibly. Probably not but we can hope.

The Question

Objectivism doesn't work.
Reaction score
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07...edingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+&+Rumors)

Kate Kotler writes for Bleeding Cool;

Out of the 10th Anniversary Firefly Reunion panel came a surprise announcement which will delight Browncoats the world over:

Bleeding Cool was on the scene when Joss Whedon and The Science Channel’s Debbie Myers confirmed to a packed room of journalists that if the planned Firefly reunion movie performs well that we can expect a full Firefly series reboot. And, it seems as if Whedon plans to wipe the slates clean and bring back the entire original cast.

“The opening sequence [of the Firefly reboot] is a conversation between Wash and Book,” said Whedon quite, quite seriously to the amazed Firefly cast and crew on the press panel with him Friday in San Diego.

“Have I never talked to you about this?” He asked Nathan Fillion, seated to his left.

To this point, Whedon has seldom discussed the decision to kill off the characters portrayed by Alan Tudyk and Ron Glass in the 2005 release, Serenity. To critics and fans, alike, this decision provided a finality which indicated that it would be unlikely that a reunion or reboot would ever be possible.

Now we know, that perception was incorrect.

Some are supposing that because Whedon followed the comment with an offhanded remark about rebooting the series with a younger cast (“Zac Effron as Simon…”) that bringing back Wash and Book is more of Whedon’s patented “snark” and are not taking the concept of a reboot seriously.

Not so; immediately upon confirming that, yes, he would like to head back to the ‘Verse again, The Science Channel’s General Manager, Debbie Myers, stated emphatically, “We can help you with that!”

Regardless, it is clear that even after a decade, the impact of the short-lived sci fi series is still being felt by both fans and the cast.

“[Doing Firefly] taught me how to act,” said Nathan Fillion of his involvement with the show, “Out of [the show] I got some of the best work I’ve ever done and a movie, I really couldn’t ask for more.”

“I have much more perspective,” said Alan Tuydk of watching the series again for the first time, “Everything is a discovery again after ten years.”

Bleeding Cool will continue to work to confirm the exact details of the promised reboot and the confirmed movie. Stay tuned!

Kate Kotler is the author of the Geek Girl on the Street Reports column and the co-host of the Keep Your Pants On podcast for Bleeding Cool. A Chicago based freelance writer, you can read Kate’s personal musings on her website and follow her on Twitter @adorkablegrrl.

Is the reunion movie going to be direct to video/TV or theatrical???,So IF the show comes back..It'll likely be a reboot!?

Is the reunion movie going to be direct to video/TV or theatrical???,So IF the show comes back..It'll likely be a reboot!?

The reunion movie is going to be on TV. Also it's not a scripted film, it's a documentary.

Is this real? I just read a recap of the panel on EW's website and there was NOTHING about this....

Is this real? I just read a recap of the panel on EW's website and there was NOTHING about this....

Bleeding Cool's not usually known for being a joke site. I don't know.

Weird. Even if he said it, it seems unlikely. Fillion and Baccarin have both moved on to successful shows. I know that Firefly holds a special place in Fillion's heart, but I can't see him walking away from Castle. Plus the stuff about bringing back Wash and Book....seems very unlikely.

Weird. Even if he said it, it seems unlikely. Fillion and Baccarin have both moved on to successful shows. I know that Firefly holds a special place in Fillion's heart, but I can't see him walking away from Castle. Plus the stuff about bringing back Wash and Book....seems very unlikely.

Could always film during the summertime.

I'll believe it when I see it. As much as I would love to see more Firefly and the Serenity crew it just seems almost impossible to bring it back. Nathan is tied up, Whedon is busy in film land, and Book and Wash are dead. IDK tho perhaps Nathon could work out a schedule, and Netflix could produce it in a small batch capacity. Like 6-10 episodes a season. That would be great!

Honestly, if Arrested Development can be revived I don't see why Firefly couldn't be if they really wanted to. Knowing Whedon, tho, he will be content with continuing the story in comic book form.

I don't want to begin thinking about a reboot (false hope). I'm just foaming at the mouth for the reunion documentary special.

Nothing about a return. Sounds like Bleeding Cool got played. :(

Could yall imagine the reaction if they announced that they were continuing the series. The cry of victory and ecstasy would tear the fabric of spacetime destroying the universe.

Jesus would return to Earth from Heaven and shed a single tear.

i-want-to-believe.jpg

I expect nothing more than comics from here on in... I doubt we'll ever see anything Firefly related in live action again.

Ugh. No BBT, please. :o

It's been too many years. Right after Serenity came out (2005-2007), at most I hoped for a single sequel to that film. And even that was blind fanboy hope.

The series is dead. Most of the cast moved on and some would be very hard to get back (Fillion, Baccarin, Torres, and for some reason I get the impression that Staite is kind of done with the character and show/franchise). Whedon loves it and so do certain cast members, but the show failed as network TV and as a theatrical release at the box office. It's been a long time coming for some, but the 'Verse ain't coming back.

If it did though, I would be there with bells on! Just should not get any hype up for that.

Full comic-con panel here:

[YT]V85olh2aZ34[/YT]

Joy and tears, and a little jealousy. OK, tremendous amounts of jealousy that I wasn't there. They do talk about the show, but nothing about a reboot or new series. More comics are coming. Also, there's still a chance for radio! ;)

This news isn't as far fetched as it may at first appear. True, it failed as a TV series. But only because the network it was on refused to get behind it and were practically trying to sabotage its success from day one. It only did moderately well at the box office as a movie, but that was because of it's horrid failure as a TV series (Star Trek movies which were far inferior to Serenity were far more successful simply on the merits of being "Star Trek Films").

However, damn near everyone who sits down and watches the entire series on DVD is automatically converted to a Browncoat (that's what happened to me). And Joss managed to walk away from Fox Television with the rights to the show. Sit a bunch of TV execs down and make them all watch all 10 episodes, back to back, in a 7.5 hour Firefly marathon, and you will likely have a room full of people screaming "How the hell could this show ever been cancelled? I want to see more! I gotta find out what happens next!" And being TV execs, the only way they're gonna make that happen is to make the damn series.

Even if you can't force a bunch of TV execs to sit through a 7.5 hour Firefly marathon until they all become Browncoats, just show them the numbers on Firefly & Serenity DVD sales. Show them the music video of Mikey Mason's song "She Don't Like Firefly", where he breaks up with his perfect woman because she doesn't like the show. Show them the documentary "Done The Impossible: The Fans' Tale Of Firefly & Serenity" so they can see the idiocy of the Fox executives and the passionate devotion of the fans to the series. Weaker TV shows have been launched, or relaunched, on less. Remember, Buffy The Vampire Slayer was a show based on a very unsuccessful and generally disliked movie starring Christy Swanson, Luke Perry, Donald Sutherland, and Rutger Hauer. But it went on to become one of TV's most successful series which ran for 7 seasons. Firefly might have been as big of a failure as Buffy: The Movie, but it is a favorite amongst Whedon fans as well as sci-fi fans. And that is something that could attract a TV exec's notice.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."

I saw this thead bumped, and was hopeful of news...I shall resent you forever now.

I saw this thead bumped, and was hopeful of news...I shall resent you forever now.

I didn't bump the thread, I just posted my opinion on the topic. There is a difference.

And it's not a farfetched opinion either. Look at all the incarnations of Star Trek we have seen over the years. The original series, Next Generation, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise, plus the numerous films over the years. Browncoats are as vocal, as loyal, and are as determined to get their beloved Firefly back on the air as any Trekkie. And there's something to be said about that.

I still feel the bitter resentment...just give me time to heal man. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"