Firefly is coming back! Maybe. Possibly. Probably not but we can hope.

I don't see the show going anywhere. Outside of science fiction circles, no one saw it. It left no impression on the general audience.

The film... with a title that certainly didn't help marketing, didn't even break even at the box office.

Fans should be happy they got a movie. Better than what they could have realistically hoped for, given the show's run.

I could see it happening...MOST of the cast has said they would love to go back to that story. Even Nathan Fillion despite already having a successful show.

I don't see the show going anywhere. Outside of science fiction circles, no one saw it. It left no impression on the general audience.

The film... with a title that certainly didn't help marketing, didn't even break even at the box office.

Fans should be happy they got a movie. Better than what they could have realistically hoped for, given the show's run.

I respectfully disagree. Most people never saw the show because of how it was mishandled by Fox Television. Then they didn't bother buying the DVD set because they never saw the show, or just blow it off as "just another sci-fi program", or even both. However, the show is specifically designed to appeal to the general audience as well as sci-fi fans. Which is why just about everyone from the GA who has given Firefly a chance is almost always immediately converted into a Browncoat.

Watch the documentary "Done The Impossible: The Fans' Tale Of Firefly & Serenity" sometime. Browncoats buy up every copy of Firefly at their local DVD stores and give them out as gifts. Those who receive those DVDs and watch them are converted and do the same thing. It works like a virus speading a disease, one that I'm happy I caught.

Not all TV executives rode the short bus to school. Fox might have a strict policy of hiring and promoting those with severe forms of downs syndrome, but someone somewhere will eventually see the wisdom in rebooting the series. Not necessarily soon enough for the original cast to reprise their roles (shame that), but eventually someone with both intelligence and vision will be in charge of marketing new shows on some network somewhere. And THAT will be when Firefly returns to the air.

Oh, I don't disagree that the show was incredibly mishandled by the network. But, the fact remains, that it's a niche show (not just a space sci fi, but a western space sci fi).

And the movie's terrible performance, would make any executive wary of revisiting it.

Not that anyone seems to want to be revisiting it. Aside from fans, that is.

Oh, I don't disagree that the show was incredibly mishandled by the network. But, the fact remains, that it's a niche show (not just a space sci fi, but a western space sci fi).

And the movie's terrible performance, would make any executive wary of revisiting it.

Not that anyone seems to want to be revisiting it. Aside from fans, that is.

A fanbase that grows by the day. Something a smart TV exec would take note of. As I said, they can't possibly ALL have downs syndrome.

And look at Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The original movie was handled very poorly by the producers, director, and cast. It was an absolute failure at the box office, not even breaking even. It came out to s#!t reviews. Even Joss doesn't like the way the movie came out (because everyone making it didn't want to make it the way it was written). But it got made into a TV series that speaks volumes to a wide audience, not just sci-fi fans and kids either, that stayed on the air for 7 years, won all kinds of awards, and was able to end with a proper sendoff.

Now if Joss can do THAT with a movie nobody likes, could you imagine what he can do with a TV show that nobody hates? And if you see Firefly as just a "sci-fi space western", then you must've missed the whole point of the show. On the serface it appears to be "just a sci-fi space western". But once you've watched it, the layers are pealed back and it reveals itself to be so much more. It has emotional depths that make it so much more than "just a sci-fi space western".

Why do people keep falling for this stuff?

You can't recreated the past. Firefly was 10 years ago. Everyone that was on that show is a different person, & the show would not be the same. All it would be is people complaining about how it isn't the same Firefly.

Why do people insist on trying to recreate the past in the present? It isn't possible. Let go & move on.

A fanbase that grows by the day. Something a smart TV exec would take note of. As I said, they can't possibly ALL have downs syndrome.

And look at Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The original movie was handled very poorly by the producers, director, and cast. It was an absolute failure at the box office, not even breaking even. It came out to s#!t reviews. Even Joss doesn't like the way the movie came out (because everyone making it didn't want to make it the way it was written). But it got made into a TV series that speaks volumes to a wide audience, not just sci-fi fans and kids either, that stayed on the air for 7 years, won all kinds of awards, and was able to end with a proper sendoff.

Now if Joss can do THAT with a movie nobody likes, could you imagine what he can do with a TV show that nobody hates? And if you see Firefly as just a "sci-fi space western", then you must've missed the whole point of the show. On the serface it appears to be "just a sci-fi space western". But once you've watched it, the layers are pealed back and it reveals itself to be so much more. It has emotional depths that make it so much more than "just a sci-fi space western".

No, I'm telling you how 90% of the viewing audience sees it.

Serenity was the franchise's chance to turn things around. It failed. Badly. Probably because no one saw the show, and the marketing was next to nonexistent. And the name certainly didn't help.

Unless people can convince Joss Whedon to fight for it, this franchise is done.

i-want-to-believe.jpg
Need to swap the UFO for Serenity.

Comedian/musician Mikey Mason (She Don't Like Firefly, Summer of '83, Best Game Ever, White Trash Geek) has released a new song about Firefly. It's a Christmas Carol called Bring Back Firefly For Christmas. You can find it on You Tube (I'd post a link, but a don't have it in front of me right now). Play it loud! Play it often! Maybe Santa will hear you and answer your request (or at least Joss, who's almost as powerful).

By the way, I've finally gotten around to buying Firefly on DVD (only $16 at Best Buy). Already sat an had a Firefly marathon. Might do another one soon.

Remember people! "We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!"

I was fortunate to catch this on Lovefilm a couple of weeks ago. Went through all of the episodes in 10 days! Absolutely loved this and Serenity too!
The idea of another series or even a one off movie actually getting the green light would be music to my ears.
Firefly had all of the qualities to become another Star Trek, Farscape in terms of series longevity. But it was cut off by the damned networks, who often don't know quality even when it bites them in the arse! :cmad:

Rant over, a newcomer to Firefly here and I love it... I'm just sad that I have watched everything already.

As a big fan I would love to see the series come back, but I just cant see it, I think it would have happened by now.

IF it does come back though I wouldnt want a re-boot bringing Wash and Book back as I loved Serenity and that would just wipe it out of existence, which would be stupid if you ask me.

As a big fan I would love to see the series come back, but I just cant see it, I think it would have happened by now.

IF it does come back though I wouldnt want a re-boot bringing Wash and Book back as I loved Serenity and that would just wipe it out of existence, which would be stupid if you ask me.

I agree with you that the series should pick up after Serenity. The movie was great, and ends in a way that is open to a sequel or another series.

River no longer being totally nuts, as the secret that was driving her mad was made public in the film, and no longer totally helpless, can take over for Wash as pilot. Simon and Kaylee are now an item, replacing Wash & Zoe as the romantic storyline. And there's still the sexual tension between Mal and Inara.

There are lots of stories that still need to be told. They might need to bring a new shepherd on board, perhaps a friend of Book's from the abbey. I have a feeling there was a lot of backstory to that character that needed to be told, like how he knows so much about The Aliance, and what kind of credentials he has that would cause an Aliance ship to take him to their infirmery and patch him up, then let Serenity go on their merry. Ron Glass would reprise his role as Shepherd Book, but only in flashbacks and such.

Now that we know more about what was done to River, and she's more or less recovered, they can explore the 'why'. How many young geniuses were recruited into 'The Academy'? Are they all as unstable as River? Are they all programmed killers? Are they all as deadly as River? Why does The Aliance think they need an army of psychic super soldiers? My theory? To eradicate the mistake of their other attempt at creating the perfect human, The Reavers. Maybe even make The Assassin from the movie a recurring character.
As for whether or not the show is ever revived, I refuse to give up hope. Not every TV executive can be suffering from downs syndrome. Someone at some network other than Fox has to see the potential for this show to become a huge hit. Maybe SyFy? Or here in Canada, Space? Start with reruns of the original show over the summer (and in proper sequencial order this time). Cap it off with an airing of Serenity, then show the season opener for the new series. By the time the new series airs, Browncoats the world over will be chomping at the bit to see the new series.

"I'm thinking we will rise again."

Mal - The Train Job

^Definately, I want to see were the story goes AFTER Serenity, not instead of it, a lot of threads were still left open as you pointed out, and lets face it, I'm sure there are more things The Alliance has done than just create the reavers.

^Definately, I want to see were the story goes AFTER Serenity, not instead of it, a lot of threads were still left open as you pointed out, and lets face it, I'm sure there are more things The Alliance has done than just create the reavers.

Definitely. Plus there's the aftermath of Mal's broadcasting that report all over the 'Verse. How do the citizens of The Alliance react to being used as guinea pigs? How do the politicians in The Aliance react to the civilians' reaction? Do they come after the crew of Serenity seeking retribution? As the assassin said, they are not very forgiving. What about River & Simon's parents, Mr & Mrs Tam. Will they learn what The Alliance has done to their daughter? If so, what will they do? Remain as aloof and unfealing as they seemed in the episode Safe? Or will they be outraged at the realization that the very government that they've supported their entire lives would treat their brilliant daughter's brain like a rutting playground? And if it's the latter, what will they do about it?

So many stories to be told. And in telling those stories, they could expose threads to other stories that have yet to be told. If each character were to have an entire season devoted entirely to his or her story arc, the show could be on TV for at least seven seasons. We already have River's story arc. Wash is dead (and I don't think he had much of a backstory to begin with).

An entire season can be focused on the mysterious background of Shepherd Book (granted, he's dead, but that doesn't mean ghosts from his past can't haunt Serenity's crew).

Why had Inara left the Companion's Temple for life aboard Serenity?

Jayne's colourful past could certainly make for some entertaining stand alone episodes, if not a whole season.

As mentioned before, the consequenses of Simon's rescuing River from The Academy could be the source of an entire seasonal story arc.

Perhaps, once Zoe has finished mourning Wash, she can develop a new romance. Perhaps she starts using Jayne as a physical substitute for Wash, then somewhere along the line it becomes more than just sex (as a for instance).

The more I think about it, the more I want to email a link to this thread to Joss Whedon. Anyone happen to know his email addy?

Joss! The man they call Joss!

He wrote about spaceships and shepherds and ****es,
He stood up to the networks and gave them what for,
Fox canceled his show and that was their loss,
The creator of Firefly, the man they call Joss!

EVERYBODY! SING ALONG AS LOUD AS YOU CAN!

[YT]j4o1_GFfS_c[/YT]

I'm sorry, were you hoping for fresh news on the return of the crew of Serenity? I'm afraid all I have to offer is the music video of my new favourite Christmas carol.

"Please bring Wash back, parum-pa-pum-pum,
A leaf on the wind."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"