First PS3 Game Reviews Are In!

hippie_hunter said:
You know, I thought that Resistance was going to be good, but good as in 7-8's out of 10. I guess that overly hyper ADD-ridden little bastard was right all along.

The thing is, flagship titles for a console's launch are almost ALWAYS over praised, and usually forgotten about. I PROMISE no one will remember it come Halo 3, and it didn't even get as good reviews as Gears of War :o

Halo is one of the few exceptions I can think of that have stood the test of time and is still played and talked about often and highly of.

Two more reviews for "Untold Legends: DK":

GameSpot (60/100) thinks Dark Kingdom is ill-suited for looters: "Gear lust is one of the more prominent driving forces in dungeon crawlers, and it's here that Dark Kingdom comes up short. Pieces of armor with different names and radically different effects look identical on your character, limiting the joy of equipping new gear and seeing how it looks on your increasingly badass adventurer. Your character will use the same basic weapon, as well as most of the same combo attacks, from beginning to end."

GameSpy (60/100) hopes Sony is planning to make better use of the PS3's storage capacity: "What surprises me the most about the whole pre-formed character shtick is how confining it seems for a next-gen console with the power of the PS3. Look at the character customization options in Oblivion and you might understand where I'm coming from with this. All that power and I only have three options to choose from?"

UL: DK didn't look very good from the beginning, to be honest.

Horrorfan said:
The thing is, flagship titles for a console's launch are almost ALWAYS over praised, and usually forgotten about. I PROMISE no one will remember it come Halo 3, and it didn't even get as good reviews as Gears of War :o

Halo is one of the few exceptions I can think of that have stood the test of time and is still played and talked about often and highly of.

I'll remember that the next time Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero are mentioned :o

Sure, Resistance is no Halo 3 or Gears of War, but it appears to be a pretty damn good game.

Like I said, it was made by Insomniac, one of Sony's few studios that are actually good.

Anyways, all the reviews for the launch titles are in now and I think that we can make the very safe assumption that asides from Resistance, the entire Playstation 3 line-up is rather mediocre, possibly even more than the Xbox 360's line-up.

Glad I didn't get one to keep at the moment.

Much more mediocre. 360 has Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3, Kameo, Condmened and Call of Duty 2. PS3 has.. Resistance.

Perfect Dark Zero was nowhere near as good as Perfect Dark and Kameo sucked the big one :cmad:

But I'll agree with you on the other ones. Sony should have tried harder :o

The PS3 launch is just as mediocre as the 360 one and the wii launch.

TheBat812 said:
The PS3 launch is just as mediocre as the 360 one and the wii launch.

The Wii launch is not mediocre. It has the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which is being heralded as the greatest/second greatest Legend of Zelda title ever.

And Ocarina of Time (once the undisputed greatest Legend of Zelda game) was always put in the top 3 in tons of top 10 to even top 100 games ever lists.

hippie_hunter said:
Anyways, all the reviews for the launch titles are in now and I think that we can make the very safe assumption that asides from Resistance, the entire Playstation 3 line-up is rather mediocre, possibly even more than the Xbox 360's line-up.

Glad I didn't get one to keep at the moment.

I wouldn't say the 360 launch was great, but it was certainly better than most. Call of Duty 2 was very good, as was Condemned. I loved Quake 4 too, but I had never played the p.c version. PS3 is definitly worse.

Oh Resistance does look, despite being kinda generic, like fun to play...but no way can it be a flagship title imo. And I dont think I could play a fps where the rumble can't simulate the kick of the machine firing anymore :(

Horrorfan said:
I wouldn't say the 360 launch was great, but it was certainly better than most. Call of Duty 2 was very good, as was Condemned. I loved Quake 4 too, but I had never played the p.c version. PS3 is definitly worse.
Didn't I say that :huh:

Wii launch > Xbox 360 launch > Playstation 3 launch

Oh Resistance does look, despite being kinda generic, like fun to play...but no way can it be a flagship title imo. And I dont think I could play a fps where the rumble can't simulate the kick of the machine firing anymore :(
I can't beleive they got rid of the rumble for some stupid motion sensor gimmick :csad:

The wii launch is easily the weakest of all three....however, what saves it is that it will get some good games eventually, ie resident evil UC, sadness and day of disaster, and doesn't cost 600 bucks. so i will pick it up.

PS3 has nothing worth mentioning.

I'm good with my 360 for now and when good games come out for wii, I will pick one up.

Horrorfan said:
The wii launch is easily the weakest of all three....however, what saves it is that it will get some good games eventually, ie resident evil UC, sadness and day of disaster, and doesn't cost 600 bucks. so i will pick it up.
Legend of Zelda > Everything except Metal Gear Solid

You're hate for Sony blinds you to Resistance: Fall of Man, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Final Fantasy XIII, Tekken 6, and more to come. All three consoles will be getting good games.

It's just with the PS3's price, it's somewhat unreasonable to own all three consoles, considering that we would be spending up to $1000 for something that will end up become obsolete in about 7 years.

I'm good with my 360 for now and when good games come out for wii, I will pick one up.
Word.

I say that this should be the review archive for the Playstation 3 games that come out, that way it can be a useful guide to those who have a Playstation 3 to decide if they want a particular game or not.

Horrorfan said:

Like Hippie added. That's not true. PS3 had Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, etc.

hippie_hunter said:
Legend of Zelda > Everything except Metal Gear Solid

You're hate for Sony blinds you to Resistance: Fall of Man, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Final Fantasy XIII, Tekken 6, and more to come. All three consoles will be getting good games.

It's just with the PS3's price, it's somewhat unreasonable to own all three consoles, considering that we would be spending up to $1000 for something that will end up become obsolete in about 7 years.

Word.

None of those games look even halfway good. Resistance is a rip off of area 51 and just about every other fps ever and didn't even get as good reviews as the original halo. I could not give one ****, not one iota, about ANY of those other games. I could honestly give a ****. Those franchises, to me, are lame as hell. So no, PS3 WON'T be getting good games.

If you think those games look good, good for you ...now pull down yer pants , bend over and let uncle sony give it to you good. However, to me, they are all lame games with nothing worth even looking at twice.

I will conceed that God of war 3 will most likely be good, but thats the only ps exclusive I give a damn about.

I could give a crap about zelda, too, for the record. wii is proving to be underwhelming, at least for now.

Horrorfan said:
None of those games look even halfway good. Resistance is a rip off of area 51 and just about every other fps ever and didn't even get as good reviews as the original halo. I could not give one ****, not one iota, about ANY of those other games. I could honestly give a ****. Those franchises, to me, are lame as hell. So no, PS3 WON'T be getting good games.
$20 says that if a few of those ended up on the Xbox 360, you'd be excited for it.

If you think those games look good, good for you ...now pull down yer pants , bend over and let uncle sony give it to you good. However, to me, they are all lame games with nothing worth even looking at twice.
Again, you are only hating on them because you blindly hate Sony with a passion for some ******ed reason.

I will conceed that God of war 3 will most likely be good, but thats the only ps exclusive I give a damn about.
God of War kicks ass.

I could give a crap about zelda, too, for the record. wii is proving to be underwhelming, at least for now.
You don't give a crap about Zelda because you don't like great games.

And for the record, at the rate the Wii is selling, it is poised to push the Xbox 360 into second place.

Anyways, I've just added the first non-launch Playstation 3 game to the list: Fight Night Round 3 and added some basic info on the games. I wonder if something like this would be useful in the Nintendo forum

hippie_hunter said:
The Wii launch is not mediocre. It has the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess which is being heralded as the greatest/second greatest Legend of Zelda title ever.

And Ocarina of Time (once the undisputed greatest Legend of Zelda game) was always put in the top 3 in tons of top 10 to even top 100 games ever lists.
okay. one game (which, btw, is not the amazing game you're claiming it to be. In fact, many think it's great from a Zelda fanboy's perspective, but not all that great otherwise). The PS3 has Resistance, NBA 2k7, Call of Duty 3, NHL 2k7, Madden 07, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07, (and now Ridge Racer and Fight Club Round 3). A much stronger lineup than the Wii.

now, I'm not a Sony fanboy, but I hate mindless dissing of systems simply because of a name. I think all the consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. Xbox 360 has the graphical and physics power with lots of great potential titles coming out. It will, however, quickly reach it's maximum potential, much sooner than the PS3. The Wii has innovation. That's about it. The game lineup isnt all that appealing, and so far the games have not shown that the technology is all that revolutionary. It does have potential though. The graphics are barely better than current gen. The PS3 has amazing power, and a lot of untapped potential, most of which will not be reached for a couple years (but not that they need it yet, as it'll keep up with the 360 quite easily, and even surpass it). It's got the SIXXAXIS controller, which will add another level of gameplay potential not quite as innovative as the Wii or as diverse possibilities, but still has potential nonetheless. And last, it has Blu-ray, which will give developers much more room to work with for textures and more content and all that good stuff. If developers choose to use it, it will be a huge bonus. If Bluray fails (which I doubt it will, and if it does, HD-DVD will also go down, but it's certainly a possibilty) then DVDs can still be used, but they'll probably still use Blu-Ray but only for PS3 games. Problems with the PS3, as far as other consoles go, will be the price, and the lack of exclusive games. In short, the PS3 has the most potential for this next gen, IMO.

hippie_hunter said:
$20 says that if a few of those ended up on the Xbox 360, you'd be excited for it.

Again, you are only hating on them because you blindly hate Sony with a passion for some ******ed reason.

God of War kicks ass.

You don't give a crap about Zelda because you don't like great games.

And for the record, at the rate the Wii is selling, it is poised to push the Xbox 360 into second place.

Guess you will owe me $20 bucks then. I hate all those games. MGS is splinter cell for ******s, with the dumb dialogue, characters and stories. I prefer wrestling and boxing games to games like tekken and doa. The only good devil may cry was the first one. Final Fantasy is also for kids and ******s. If you can find any post of mine in the past where I show respect to any of those franchises, and treat them and their fans with anything but the utter contempt the morons deserve, please point it out to me.
Oh yeah I hate sony so much i have a psone, ps2 (which I both love) and psp. Good call sherlock. Get it right...I hate the ps3, and the way sony has handled it since it was announced. The product looked ****ty

I hate the way sony treated me as a customer when it comes to ps3. with its inferior games, its clearly being pushed as a blu ray player first, gaming console way second. You are more than happy to let sony ass ram you, so you are, in fact, an idiot and corporate ****e, an intellectual void who DESERVES to be treated like an idiot by sony. If you buy a ps3 with the stunts they have pulled, then you're pathetic.

and quite frankly, anyone who buys one buys into the lies, and likes ****ty games, and thus deserves to be shot. If it had good exclusives, like bio shock, alan wake, gears of war, then I would understand. But FF? MGS? Get real. Those are franchises for losers. The idiots who can't take good writing and characters.

And zelda is for kids. I don't care what anyone says. If you want to play kiddy games, thats fine and dandy, I wont judge you but trying to convince yourself its not a kiddy game is lame.

And LOL! Wii isn't selling that great, isn't even selling out! I bet you it won't over take 360. I'll put money on it. How much do you want to bet that when the next gen comes, 360 is above wii? Any amount you want. Lets see if wii sells seven million in its first year, and then we will talk.

Horrorfan said:
(a) Just because Resistance isn't as good as Halo doesn't mean it's a bad game.

(b) The bar has moved on now. If the original Halo was released now, it wouldn't receive scores as high as it originally did. Comparing the Resistance score now to a score from many years back is a terrible comparison.

Avalanche said:
(a) Just because Resistance isn't as good as Halo doesn't mean it's a bad game.

(b) The bar has moved on now. If the original Halo was released now, it wouldn't receive scores as high as it originally did. Comparing the Resistance score now to a score from many years back is a terrible comparison.
Well, the thing is, Resistance looks, in motion, like a higher end ps2 game. IE pretty decent, but not next gen. It gets SMOKED by titles like Gears, Halo 3 and Bioshock, Alan Wake and the Darkness. Hell nothing sony has shown that wasn't pre rendered cgi looks comparable to anything on the 360 imo.If you want to let sony treat you like a dumb ass who will hand over your money no matter how much they insult your intelligence, hey feel free. It will only prove that they do have as stupid a fan base as they think. The smarter ones among us will opt for the 360/wii deal.

Horrorfan said:
Well, the thing is, Resistance looks, in motion, like a higher end ps2 game. IE pretty decent, but not next gen. It gets SMOKED by titles like Gears, Halo 3 and Bioshock, Alan Wake and the Darkness. Hell nothing sony has shown that wasn't pre rendered cgi looks comparable to anything on the 360 imo.If you want to let sony treat you like a dumb ass who will hand over your money no matter how much they insult your intelligence, hey feel free. It will only prove that they do have as stupid a fan base as they think. The smarter ones among us will opt for the 360/wii deal.

That's because the Xbox 360 has been out for a year now and people know how to develop for it better than the Playstation 3. Launch titles by far are not the prettiest games out there. Take a look at a lot of the Xbox 360's titles and compare them to games such as Gears of War and Halo 3. Hell look at some of the games that are being developed for the Playstation 3 such as Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII.

Horrorfan said:
Guess you will owe me $20 bucks then. I hate all those games. MGS is splinter cell for ******s, with the dumb dialogue, characters and stories. I prefer wrestling and boxing games to games like tekken and doa. The only good devil may cry was the first one. Final Fantasy is also for kids and ******s. If you can find any post of mine in the past where I show respect to any of those franchises, and treat them and their fans with anything but the utter contempt the morons deserve, please point it out to me.
1. I bet you're just saying that. The fact that you are denying that all consoles already have promising looking titles show that mentality.

2. Metal Gear Solid pwns Splinter Cell so badly. Better story, awesome voice acting, great characters that you can get attached to. It's like playing a movie!

4. Wrestling and boxing games suck :o

5. Wow, that just shows your mentality even further for saying games are for kids and ******s.

Oh yeah I hate sony so much i have a psone, ps2 (which I both love) and psp. Good call sherlock. Get it right...I hate the ps3, and the way sony has handled it since it was announced. The product looked ****ty
The way you talk sure makes it sound like it. As a matter in fact, I've never even heard you say one positive thing about Sony. For quite sometime, when this section of the forum sucked because the fanboy bickering was the worst, you were one of the most guilty "Sony teh sux" people.

I hate the way sony treated me as a customer when it comes to ps3. with its inferior games, its clearly being pushed as a blu ray player first, gaming console way second. You are more than happy to let sony ass ram you, so you are, in fact, an idiot and corporate ****e, an intellectual void who DESERVES to be treated like an idiot by sony. If you buy a ps3 with the stunts they have pulled, then you're pathetic.
That I'll agree with you there. Sony has been treating the customer like s**t.

and quite frankly, anyone who buys one buys into the lies, and likes ****ty games, and thus deserves to be shot. If it had good exclusives, like bio shock, alan wake, gears of war, then I would understand. But FF? MGS? Get real. Those are franchises for losers. The idiots who can't take good writing and characters.
Again with calling people who don't like things you like ******s and losers.

And zelda is for kids. I don't care what anyone says. If you want to play kiddy games, thats fine and dandy, I wont judge you but trying to convince yourself its not a kiddy game is lame.
And again. That's the problem with a lot of gamers. People need to get this "OMG dis gAME is kIddy" mentality out of their heads and play games simply because they are fun.

Basically you are a person who sees people as idiots who buy Playstation 3's for reasons such as
a. They don't have the money to buy all three consoles and choose to simply have the Playstation 3 instead of an Xbox 360 - I fit this description. Not everyone has the money to buy all three consoles and since I already have a library of Playstation and Playstation 2 games along with many of my favorite franchises being on the Playstation system, I chose to go along with the Playstation 3 instead of the Xbox 360.

b. Buy all three consoles because they want to enjoy what all three consoles have to offer - People like these realise that all three systems have something good to offer.

c. Buy the Playstation 3 because their favorite franchises are on the system and only on that system (God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, etc.) - In the end it's the games that will sell the console. The Xbox 360 has the games. The Wii has the games. The Playstation 3 has the games.

So basically, anyone who doesn't agree with you is an
a. an idiot
b. a ******
or
c. a little kid

You know what your generalizations of people make me think
a. You're an ass
b. You're an ass
c. You're an ass
d. Did I say that such a mentality makes you look like an ass?

It's the a**hole mentality like that, that makes me like the Xbots way worse than the Sony ****es and the Nintendo Fanboys (actually I like the Nintendo Fanboys, because they're not a**holes :cmad: )

And LOL! Wii isn't selling that great, isn't even selling out! I bet you it won't over take 360. I'll put money on it. How much do you want to bet that when the next gen comes, 360 is above wii? Any amount you want. Lets see if wii sells seven million in its first year, and then we will talk.
I bet you another $20 that the Wii will sell more than Microsoft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"