First Q/A answers released from Penn

Mike059jig said:
I can't even believe that the writers would say that the seeds were planted since x-1 for wolverine to take over cyclops role...this just makes me mad....how could they even say something like that...that is just so wrong that a writer of a x-men movie could write a character into another characters role...

I wonder if that can't get them in trouble :confused: some people will kill Fox with their bare hands by now...

In the first two movies, Scott and Jean's relationship was pretty much happening off-screen, though. Besides two moments in X2 that I can think of, the rest of the time the "romantic" scenes (banter, tension, what have you) were happening with Jean and Logan. Looking at what happens with Jean and Logan in X3, it puts an interesting perspective on exchanges like:

"So read my mind."
"I'd rather not."
"Why? Afraid you might like it?"

Jean's answer is a smile and a disagreement, but she does try to read his mind anyway. Scott is peripheral, literally, when she turns to see him in the doorway. So I can see how the Jean/Logan relationship has been built that way for a while.

CapBeerCino said:
I remeber something... No link?
Here's the link - it's from March 2005.

http://iesb.net/movies2/movie031905.php

>>As the man behind every single Marvel adaptation we went straight to the source to get the scoop on X-Men 3.

Ever since Singer abandoned the mutants in favor of a pair of blue tights the internet has been buzzing with rumors of threats from the Marvel camp towards any X-Men actor that decides to go work with Singer on Superman Returns. Case in point, James Marsden has been cast as Richard White and was assumed to be out of the X-Men franchise.

However, Avi Arad told the audience at Wizard World today that he hopes to have James Marsden reprise his role as Cyclops in the next installment of the mutant series. Arad says that James Marsden called him and said that he read about this on the internet and said, "what are you doing...I told you I'm in."

So if everything is right in the world with the comic book gods James Marsden will be in two huge blockbuster films in 2006.

Watch a video clip of Avi Arad talking about James Marsden return to Xmen! Click Here

tedw said:
In the first two movies, Scott and Jean's relationship was pretty much happening off-screen, though.

That's true--I remember Famke referring to Cyclops as Jean's fiance in one of the behind-the-scenes features, but not in the movie.

Besides two moments in X2 that I can think of, the rest of the time the "romantic" scenes (banter, tension, what have you) were happening with Jean and Logan. Looking at what happens with Jean and Logan in X3, it puts an interesting perspective on exchanges like:

"So read my mind."
"I'd rather not."
"Why? Afraid you might like it?"

And she wasn't exactly fighting him off when he kissed her in X2. Ultimately, she walked away...but if it wasn't for Scott, I think she would have taken a chance with Logan.

At least that's way the movies have played it out.

The other thing is... when the X-Men go for the final battle, how do you think it would have been to have Angel approach the X-Men, and ask if he could go along with them, since his father is on Alcatraz? He did overhear them, he knew they were going. It would have been great if he could have become a member of the team for the final battle. It wouldn't have changed too much, he still could have just saved his dad, but it would have given him a chance to be A.) Part of the team (as he was heavily advertised in his costume), and B.) Give him a chance to kick a little bit of ash in the final battle, make him a more useful character, and give Angel fans something to cheer for. And it would have given a bit more payoff for the introductory Angel flashback scene, as well.

* Well, we wrote that exact scene. But it didn't make it past the powers that be. There were actually some legitimate reasons for this having to do with production restraints, difficulty with the wings, etc, before everyone starts lumping this in with the Scott stuff.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

*starts to foam at the mouth*

Rothman is SOOOOOOOOO dead.

Hugh'sMrs said:
You said Marsden chose to take another role where he loses the girl.I was responding to that comment.

As for X3 I bet I know way more about the production than you do. ;)
I know.. he essentially plays "John Jameson"...:o

and as for X3.. don't count your luck... ive been following these boards as much as you have if not more

flavio_lebeau said:
i do remember someone (i think Avi Arad) saying Cyclops wasnt confirmed in the movie, or wouldnt have a part at all, and then James called him and said "What are you saying?" or something like that. And then he went with that "I'd do X3 for free" and yadda yadda yadda
ya he offered to do it for free.. he loves the franchise.. but for some reason singer convinced him to switch sides.. wich is really odd considering the little screen time singer gave him in the X-men movies

This isn't the comic (or one of the many alternate versions of the comic)

The movie has Logan and Jean as the love interest. NOT Scott and Jean. And that's perfectly fine. It's just another one of the many alternate X-men stories.

and one could argue that scincescot is dead jean can move on to logan!

(yay! i just saw that a crazy question i send mckellan has been posted on his official site! lol)

phoenix_force said:
(yay! i just saw that a crazy question i send mckellan has been posted on his official site! lol)

What did you ask? Link?

danoyse said:
And she wasn't exactly fighting him off when he kissed her in X2. Ultimately, she walked away...but if it wasn't for Scott, I think she would have taken a chance with Logan.

I think X3 really stressed Jean and Scott being in love, with Logan loving Jean but knowing it would never be returned.

That scene in X2 your referring to, if you guys watch the extras, they show them filming it, and it was filmed with Jean and Logan actually making out for a while (instead of Jean turning away), then her finally stopping because it wasn't right. I was glad to see Jean just stop it right away in X2 instead of having her make out with someone who isn't her boyfriend.

Mike059jig said:
I can't even believe that the writers would say that the seeds were planted since x-1 for wolverine to take over cyclops role...this just makes me mad....how could they even say something like that...that is just so wrong that a writer of a x-men movie could write a character into another characters role...
I think Zak saw a different cut of X1 then me.

Yes, we saw seeds of Logan stepping up to the plate, but IMHO not trampling over Scott - there's a difference between Logan joining the team and playing an important role, and usurping Scott's job and his love interest.

ginny_weasley said:

Yes, we saw seeds of Logan stepping up to the plate, but IMHO not trampling over Scott - there's a difference between Logan joining the team and playing an important role, and usurping Scott's job and his love interest.

Again, its simply Zak trying to offer ptitiful excuses for his crappy storyline decisions.

Aiden said:
Maybe she would have demolecurized the needles?

She would have demolecularized the needles as much as she could have demolecularized Wolverine's metal claws. But she didn't. So he could have stabbed her with the cure instead of the claws.

JokerNick said:
okay, what if cyclops never wore a visor, he could control his blasts

or what if wolverine's metal skeleton was natural, it was part of his mutation instead of being part of weapon x

what if xavier could walk???

the phoenix effect is who the Phoenix is...... that's why people are upset

Not to mention it would have been a great continuity reference since it was shown in X2. They even had prelims for it and the effects were written into the script, but Fox was to cheap or rushed the movie so they cut it out. Stupid Fox/Rothman/Avi Arad

Retroman said:
I wonder if any of the meetings with the producers and execs are on the dvd? You know a fly-on-the-wall type thing starting from the moment Singer left. I'd pay good money to see what really went on behind closed doors.

You and I both. I suspect we would have just heard a whole lot of "nos", "sorry that's to expensive" and "we'll save it for the dvd".

spideyboy_1111 said:
I know.. he essentially plays "John Jameson"...:o

and as for X3.. don't count your luck... ive been following these boards as much as you have if not more

While 'John Jameson' in nature, I think the size of the role is more in line with James Franco's.

No comment on your other point. :)

ginny_weasley said:

Exactly. I got the impression that Logan only joined the mission to the Statue of Liberty because Rogue was in peril not because he necessarily wanted to stop Magneto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"