Eternals Flying too close to the sun - The Ikaris (Richard Madden) Thread

Madden is an excellent choice (I say this as someone who knows next to nothing about these characters, but hey). He’s great in pretty much everything.

I hope Madden either uses his own Scottish accent or uses one of the English ones he does.

Madden will probably end up doing a English accent though. A lot of people outside of Scotland struggle with Scottish accents. Madden's accent isn't strong enough that it makes him hard to understand but you still had people who watched the Bodyguard in North America confused by accent. There was a whole thing about Madden saying ma'am and people thinking he was saying mom.

Marvel/Disney probably isn't going to spend hundreds of million on a movie with a lead that English speaking audiences can't understand clearly. Far easier for them to just say do the RP accent from Cinderella.

There is the whole Hollywood immortal/ancient world trope of those type of characters talking in a RP accent as well.

I thought Madden's American accent in the movie Bastille Day wasn't great and he is one of those British actors who's line delivery is a bit flat in an American accent. Some actors are so busy concentrating on getting the accent right that their overall performance ends up suffering for it because they are preoccupied with the accent.
Considering how ancient, foreign and diverse the Eternals are supposed to be, I doubt they make him use an accent he's not comfortable with.

They should give him an accent but make it like working class “on the buses” type thing

They should give him an accent but make it like working class “on the buses” type thing
Why? What about nigh immortal genetically altered super human that's been alive for eons screams "working class" accent?

He's probably gonna be the lead character in this. Since I feel like Angelina taking the lead role might be too obvious. Out of the Eternals, this is the one I've recognized in pictures so I'm looking forward to him the most.

He's probably gonna be the lead character in this. Since I feel like Angelina taking the lead role might be too obvious. Out of the Eternals, this is the one I've recognized in pictures so I'm looking forward to him the most.
Feige said Salma Hayek is the leader of the Eternals, so I think Madden and Hayek will be the "co-leads" with Jolie and others being more in a supporting role

Feige said Salma Hayek is the leader of the Eternals, so I think Madden and Hayek will be the "co-leads" with Jolie and others being more in a supporting role
I don't see Salma Hayek as the lead, her character is the leader figure but I don't think it means she's gonna be like the Mr. Fantastic/Black Bolt of the Eternals. Probably more like Professor X in the foX's original trilogy films.

This film probably won’t have a lead, it’s a team movie after all. Did the avengers have a lead?

I’m glad Madden has got this chance. I’m really looking forward to Eternals.

This film probably won’t have a lead, it’s a team movie after all. Did the avengers have a lead?

Iron Man was basically the lead.

And Star-Lord is the lead of the GotG movies.

Even a team movie is going to have one character who gets more focus than the others.

I don’t think they’ll make such a big deal about diversity and then have the only straight white bloke as the lead. If anything Sersi will be or she and ikaris will be co leads but definitely not him as the major feature

Looking forward to seeing their costumes. I assume they will incorporate Ikaris' signature '3 chest plates' into his outfit in some way.

I don’t think they’ll make such a big deal about diversity and then have the only straight white bloke as the lead. If anything Sersi will be or she and ikaris will be co leads but definitely not him as the major feature

Why are you predicting Sersi will be the lead, when we have no evidence yet that Sersi is even in the movie?

I don’t think they’ll make such a big deal about diversity and then have the only straight white bloke as the lead.

Like Spiderman Homecoming?

I think it's fine though. Plenty of woman and minority males are getting lead roles for phase 4/5. The fact that this one doesn't is ok because I don't think it came with bad intentions. We can see that Fiege and company are really making a effort recently.

White males will still get the most lead roles going forward but it's good to see the playing field become more leveled now. I am speaking as a Asian American male for reference. I'm pretty happy about the Shang Chi movie happening and Don Lee getting cast as Gilgamesh.

Why are you predicting Sersi will be the lead, when we have no evidence yet that Sersi is even in the movie?

Sersi was in the original bio for the film. Basically the concept is there’s a contrast between Sersi and ikaris. Ikaris thinks interfering with humanity should be forbidden and Sersi believes if someone is in trouble you should help.

Of course they might have written her out since then but it’s pretty unlikely they would remove such a big character in the story. Plus she’s the most well know eternal. That would be like having the FF appear except it’s reed, sue, Johnny and Sharon Ventura

Like Spiderman Homecoming?

I think it's fine though. Plenty of woman and minority males are getting lead roles for phase 4/5. The fact that this one doesn't is ok because I don't think it came with bad intentions. We can see that Fiege and company are really making a effort recently.

White males will still get the most lead roles going forward but it's good to see the playing field become more leveled now. I am speaking as a Asian American male for reference. I'm pretty happy about the Shang Chi movie happening and Don Lee getting cast as Gilgamesh.

Spider-Man is obviously very different. It’s a well known property and a team flick

Gee that would be wonderful but I hope he looks after himself. It’s never a good idea to mix something personal like coming out with capitalism. Hopefully he doesn’t feel too pressured. At the end of the day, it’s all about him and his happiness not promoting a movie

I mean, that's great and all if true but are people sure that he actually IS gay? He's dated women in the past and while it's always possible that they were beards or whatever, I just worry that this is one of those cases where people so desperately want someone to be gay (or want to push someone out of the closet who doesn't want to be) that they'll try to destroy him if this whole scenario doesn't play out the way they want it to.

I would have preferred to see Madden cast as Batman and Pattinson to be Ikaris but Madden as Ikaris sounds really cool

Can anyone recommend a good starting point to read the Eternals? Are more recent issues better or best to go with older ones? Any particular favorite storylines?

I would have preferred to see Madden cast as Batman and Pattinson to be Ikaris but Madden as Ikaris sounds really cool

Can anyone recommend a good starting point to read the Eternals? Are more recent issues better or best to go with older ones? Any particular favorite storylines?

Pretty much volume. 1 stands on it's own as Jack Kirby tried to keep it separate except when forced by publishing for slight 616 acknowledgements a couple of times it stands on it's own. It did end a bit prematurely though so the story was continued and integrated fully into the 616 universe in the thor comics known as the Eternal Saga.

From there, a back-up story in What-If Vol.1 retconned in the Uranians and Titanians introduced before Kirby's Eternals as being Eternals as well. Post-1986 the characters rarely appeared through the 90's and early 00's but were interwoven throughout the fabric of the 616 universe a bit more.

The relaunch of the characters took place with Neil Gaiman's run in Vol.3 though.

Last edited:
Nevermind can post exact info. elsewhere.

Last edited:
Nevermind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"