Guardians of the Galaxy Where's the love for NOVA???

M-2

Ultimate BAMF
Reaction score
I would really like NOVA to make it into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, And since this is a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY film, it would be the perfect time to Introduce Richard Rider...

Hopefully they can mention him, introduce him as Richard or introduce him as Nova or just introduce the Nova corps. Anything is really possible depending how the film is structured...

They can always forgo the origin story of the Guardians and just introduce us to them as a team, and go through there back stories as the film progresses... So they could take a similar route with NOVA... Well I'm just thinking about it? What do u guys think? Should NOVA geta mention at least?

I would really like NOVA to make it into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, And since this is a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY film, it would be the perfect time to Introduce Richard Rider...

Hopefully they can mention him, introduce him as Richard or introduce him as Nova or just introduce the Nova corps. Anything is really possible depending how the film is structured...

They can always forgo the origin story of the Guardians and just introduce us to them as a team, and go through there back stories as the film progresses... So they could take a similar route with NOVA... Well I'm just thinking about it? What do u guys think? Should NOVA geta mention at least?

I like Richard, but as a fan of the GotG, I don't want other characters taking a backseat to him.

I like Richard, but as a fan of the GotG, I don't want other characters taking a backseat to him.

Ya, I totally get that, but if Marvel do decide to do Rider at a later date, it wouldnt hurt, to at least plant that Easter egg with Mentioning the Nova Corps.

Like I've said before, I think Nova ends up being in this movie.

Wow, option one would be terrible. The Guardians pop over to Earth just long enough to run into some random high school student?

Wow, option one would be terrible. The Guardians pop over to Earth just long enough to run into some random high school student?

It could be a post credit scene with Rider, coming from school and discovering a crush site... Where he finds worldmind....

I wanted Nova as well I assume his background is just way too big and complicated to put in a team movie like this to introduce Nova from scratch.

I guess they want Peter Quill to be the audiences' eyes into the world of the movie.

Never liked Nova himself, I'm more of a Star-Lord follower and if Nova is in the movie he'll only be in the way.

Save him for the second one like they did with War Machine.

Never liked Nova himself, I'm more of a Star-Lord follower and if Nova is in the movie he'll only be in the way.

Mmm I get that, but we still got introduced to Rhodey in the first film? I think the film should at least should mention the Nova corps. Maybe in the same fashion as SHIELD was used in Iron Man 1.... When it didn't detract from the story and it was small enough to get fans excited but big enough for GA to notice them...

Regardless of your personal opinion, Nova is a bigger character than Star-Lord. I'd be shocked if he isn't included in this movie from the get go.

Well he's not in the movie or in the Guardians line-up.

Maybe they want to keep Nova separate either for his own movie or TV show.

Regardless of your personal opinion, Nova is a bigger character than Star-Lord. I'd be shocked if he isn't included in this movie from the get go.

Not to the general audience. People need to redefine their idea of "bigger character" in that light, because when it comes to the general audience they're both complete unknowns. Sure, he's more wellknown among comic fans, but the number of total comic readers is miniscule to the movie going audience, and the number of comic readers who're more familiar with Nova than Star-Lord is itself a niche in a niche. The readership difference is so small that it wouldn't even have a negligible effect on the final box office.

Not to the general audience. People need to redefine their idea of "bigger character" in that light, because when it comes to the general audience they're both complete unknowns. Sure, he's more wellknown among comic fans, but the number of total comic readers is miniscule to the movie going audience, and the number of comic readers who're more familiar with Nova than Star-Lord is itself a niche in a niche. The readership difference is so small that it wouldn't even have a negligible effect on the final box office.

Obviously, this is true but again, Nova has gotten some exposure to the GA, a lot more than Star-Lord has.

How? He appeared in Ultimate Spider-Man, Star-Lord appeared in EMH, and...? Whatever exposure either of them has received has been absolutely miniscule. Certainly not enough for most moviegoers to say "Man, I sure wish that Nova were in this movie." More than likely, if you asked them if they preferred Nova over Star-Lord most of them would say "Who and who?" Again, bigger is relative. It's like arguing the difference betwen a mosquito and a house fly. Sure, one is bigger than the other, but they're still both tiny.

Well I don't really think about things in term of box office and marketing. These movies main crowd are the comic book readers. Nova has crossed over into a lot of comics, including Avengers. The truth is, however small the comic book community is, Nova is far more recognized than Star-Lord. The general audience barely knows who Green Lantern is, doesn't mean he's not a huge character within fandom.

If the main crowd for these movies were comic book readers then every single one of them would've been a colossal flop. The fact of the matter is that the comic book industry is a ridiculously small niche market. For the month of February the two highest selling titles (Justice League and Batman) sold 135,374 and 128,459 copies respectively, and they were the only ones to break the 100,000 mark. The average readership for titles which are generally considered successful is 20,000-40,000.

Now put that in real dollar terms. Let's assume that all those Justice League fans immediately run out and but a $15 3-D ticket for a newly released Justice League movie. That's a $1.9 million box office take. Any comic book movie relying on comic fans to be the main crowd for their film is not only doomed to failure, it's doomed to be the largest failure in box office history, because no movie except the cheapest of Indie films can possibly sustain themselves on an audience that miniscule.

To put it another way, Avengers made $1.4 billion at the box office. Do you know how much it would've made if every single comic book reader boycotted the film and stayed home?

$1.4 billion.

The comic book reading audience flat-out doesn't matter when it comes to the box office totals, because there just aren't that many comic readers.

As for Nova being more recognizable than Star-Lord...

I did some research into their sales, and from what I was able to find, Guardians of the Galaxy consistently outsold Nova by several thousand issues per month. So the idea that Nova's more wellknown than Star-Lord is debatable, given that Guardians of the Galaxy was the better seller between the two.

Well see, that's why we see things differently because sales don't really say much. At one point to use the same example, Green Lantern outsold Superman. Would you argue that GL is more popular than Superman? Sales are not really indicative of popularity.

Again, I don't really care much for box office numbers. So all those figures mean squat to me. Also, it doesn't account for fans that don't buy comics. There are millions of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man fans that don't buy comic books for whatever reason. So your facts are a false equivalency.

They do say how many people are buying a comic at any given month. And for their runs more people were reading about Star-Lord than they were reading about Nova. Either way it doesn't matter, though, because the comic reading fans are so miniscule that a few thousand here and there won't make a difference to the box office in the slightest. Every single comic reader can't make a difference to the box office, so who cares if a few thousand more comic fans are more aware of Nova than Star-Lord? They won't have the slightest affect on the success of a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

And my facts are not false equivalency, because there's a colossal difference between the likes of Nova and Star-Lord versus Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, etc. The latter have been exposed to the general audience for DECADES. They've starred in movies, tv shows, cartoons, radio shows, toylines, merchandizing, etc. They're all over the place and well-known by the general audience. The same can't be said for Nova or Star-Lord. As far as the general audience is concerned, they may as well be brand-new characters, because they've never heard of either of them before.

So yeah, it doesn't matter one whit if Nova has 3,000 more comic fans than Star-Lord or whatever, because the comic reading audience doesn't matter at all when it comes to how successful a movie is. What matters is the general audience, and as far as the general audience is concerned, there is no difference whatsoever between Nova and Star-Lord. They're both unknown quantities and Marvel Studios has to work just as hard to sell either of them to the public.

Either way, my point was that within Marvel, Nova is seen as a bigger character than Star-Lord. I agree that the general audience who don't know anything about comics probably couldn't tell the two apart in a line-up but within our community, I think it's clear Nova is a bigger character by whatever margin you'd like to place. Look at TDKR, Bane isn't exactly the most popular of Batman villains, probably outside of the top 5 behind The Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, Mr. Freeze and Catwoman.

Either way, my point was that within Marvel, Nova is seen as a bigger character than Star-Lord. I agree that the general audience who don't know anything about comics probably couldn't tell the two apart in a line-up but within our community, I think it's clear Nova is a bigger character by whatever margin you'd like to place.

Yeah, but the point you're missing is that our community doesn't matter. If every single comic book reader had stayed home and not gone to see the Avengers than it still would've made $1.4 billion, and that's for one of the most wellknown comic franchises. Nova and Star-Lord are nowhere near that level. You're effectively arguing about the size of two different specks of dust and how the larger speck is more important and deserves special consideration. They're both still specks of dust as far as the general audience is concerned, and their relative popularity within the comic community will have no effect whatsoever on the final box office total when the numbers come in.

Look at TDKR, Bane isn't exactly the most popular of Batman villains, probably outside of the top 5 behind The Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, Mr. Freeze and Catwoman.

And yeah, that argues my point. Comic popularity doesn't matter when it comes to the box office, because the general audience doesn't care how popular a character is among comic fans.

I think we're arguing two different things actually. I think Marvel takes into account what's popular within the comic community when it makes those decisions on who to bring forward into movies and tv. I still wouldn't rule out Nova making an appearance in this movie. Not saying it's the major sticking point in their decision making but they do take it into account. It's why I think a character like Hawkeye made it into Avengers.

Yeah, I don't think many people know who Nova OR Star-Lord are. I think the performance of GotG will be a pretty good barometer to see just how far into the second-tier character realm movie studios can go with superheroes and still draw an audience. Some people would cite Watchmen's so-so box office performance as proof that superheroes that are not very well-known don't have mainstream appeal; however, Watchmen was a different type of film altogether with larger themes. GotG will be a better chance to see if a straightforward superhero film with characters most mainstreamers don't know can be successful.

Studios delved into the obscure superhero realm quite a bit in the 90s and it backfired on them... The Shadow, Mystery Men, The Phantom and Steel all flopped... none of those films were very good (IMO) but even if they had been, I don't think they would have been huge success stories. I believe The Mask did fairly well, but that probably had more to do with Jim Carrey's appeal at the time than anything else (though it was a pretty fun movie).

Yeah, I don't think many people know who Nova OR Star-Lord are. I think the performance of GotG will be a pretty good barometer to see just how far into the second-tier character realm movie studios can go with superheroes and still draw an audience. Some people would cite Watchmen's so-so box office performance as proof that superheroes that are not very well-known don't have mainstream appeal; however, Watchmen was a different type of film altogether with larger themes. GotG will be a better chance to see if a straightforward superhero film with characters most mainstreamers don't know can be successful.

Studios delved into the obscure superhero realm quite a bit in the 90s and it backfired on them... The Shadow, Mystery Men, The Phantom and Steel all flopped... none of those films were very good (IMO) but even if they had been, I don't think they would have been huge success stories. I believe The Mask did fairly well, but that probably had more to do with Jim Carrey's appeal at the time than anything else (though it was a pretty fun movie).

People forget what set off this current comic book movie boom. Blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"