Playstation Forspoken

We all know this story. It's definitely not a positive sign. When has this ever turned into a good ending?
The early stuff for this game was promising, but I feel like since the second delay it's kind of been clear this might be headed towards being not great. The demo kind of confirmed my biggest fear, and that this game might have a lot of FFXV to it. Go, run around the open world fields, as opposed to a rich and full game world.

The early stuff for this game was promising, but I feel like since the second delay it's kind of been clear this might be headed towards being not great. The demo kind of confirmed my biggest fear, and that this game might have a lot of FFXV to it. Go, run around the open world fields, as opposed to a rich and full game world.
Darthstradamus again? :D :csad:

Some of those reviews are all over going from lows of 2.5/5 to 8/10 is quite the swing. But over all the 32% recommend is even lower than I was expecting it to be.

Some of those reviews are all over going from lows of 2.5/5 to 8/10 is quite the swing. But over all the 32% recommend is even lower than I was expecting it to be.
29% now. On MC, 68.

Forspoken

Same score as Gotham Knights. That Gamespot review is brutal. bad place, Eurogamer, which always looks on the bright side, couldn't with it. Apparently the game is horribly paced, with mountains of dialogue that keeps you talking instead of movie. Which sounds tedious.

Last edited:
29% now. On MC, 68.

Forspoken

Same score as Gotham Knights. That Gamespot review is brutal. bad place, Eurogamer, which always looks on the bright side, couldn't with it. Apparently the game is horribly paced, with mountains of dialogue that keeps you talking instead of movie. Which sounds tedious.

Jason it’s Holland because everything is Tom Holland with anything even tangentially linked to Sony. :D

And the biggest surprise of the year that the game that’s hidden from a whole bunch of reviewers and allowed out to the selected ones who are more likely to favour it turns out not to be a critical monster.

What really disappoints me is something a few reviewers pointed out: they put a black woman as the protaganist and then did her wrong with this bland, boring, uninspired, unfortunate game.

What really disappoints me is something a few reviewers pointed out: they put a black woman as the protaganist and then did her wrong with this bland, boring, uninspired, unfortunate game.
Should've known when their first instinct was to make her a criminal. :dry:

I think having a criminal background (justly or unjustly in-universe) is fine if it plays into the character arc and story and isn't just introduced and then dropped at the same time. Non-white and non-male characters and people should be able to exist in any and all types of roles whether it's as heroes or as in Grand Theft Auto or Emily the Criminal as anti-heroes or villains. This is also an M-rated 17+ game and not something for children.

I think having a criminal background (justly or unjustly in-universe) is fine if it plays into the character arc and story and isn't just introduced and then dropped at the same time. Non-white and non-male characters and people should be able to exist in any and all types of roles whether it's as heroes or as in Grand Theft Auto or Emily the Criminal as anti-heroes or villains. This is also an M-rated 17+ game and not something for children.
Conceptually, that's fine. But here is the obvious problem with this here. The writing team isn't exactly diverse, and more then a few reviews have pointed out how one note she is as a character. Gamespot, who are big supporters of diversity in games, point out that they don't write her outside of the very narrow scope of orphan. They don't touch on her gender or race in any meaningful way. So what they did was just make the black woman a criminal. Which unfortunately, just comes off as a gross racial bias at best.

Poe was a character that they decided to retcon (for no justifiable reason as it is introduced and then dropped) into a drug smuggler in the third/ninth movie of an ostensibly child-friendly series so it was stupid on many levels that a character on Queen of the South or Grand Theft Auto wouldn't have.

Last edited:
This sounds like their research department consisted of watching other bad takes on black women in movies and just went with it without bothering to have an actual you know, black woman on the staff.

I don't know why people think Amy Hening is going to make a good Star Wars game. Even with Uncharted everyone else made much better versions of the same games, with actual characters.

Balan's Wonderland, Forspoken, Square's impact on what otherwise might have been a decent Avengers, their repeatedly (publicly) throwing Crystal Dynamics and Eidos under the bus, the NFT obsession - all a great run for Square. Outside of FF & DQ they have been on a horrendous direction in recent years.

In the 14 days around the release of this game (7 before and 7 after), we've had Monster Hunter Rise, Persona 4 Golden, and Dead Space all released on the PS4/5, with 81, 88, and 89 Metacritic scores. This is at 67. They should've kept the original release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"