Fox Wants Keanu Reeves to Return for Speed 3?

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/01/fox-wants-keanu-reeves-to-return-for-speed-3/

In 2007, Dennis Hopper told The Guardian that he was set to reprise his role as Howard Payne in a third Speed film. Some people assumed it had to be a remake considering (spoiler warning) Hopper’s character died at the end of the first film. Well apparently now. A scooper on AICN has confirmed that a scriptment for Speed 3 is floating around Hollywood. Not only that, but the story features the return of Officer Jack Traven, the lead character played by Keanu Reeves in the original film.

But the real question is, will Fox be able to lure Keanu back? As many remember, Reeves decided not to return for the sequel, Speed 2: Cruise Control. The actor has since starred in The Matrix trilogy which made him the highest paid actor of all time. And with his passion project in the horizon, an Untitled Chef Project helmed by David Fincher, I’m guessing Reeves might need some convincing to come back for a third film. It would have to be one hell of a script.

A lot of people don’t give the original Speed film enough credit. It was actually a pretty kick ass high concept (heck, its the definition of high concept) action flick. I wouldn’t mind seeing another if the idea were right. But what’s the chances? It seems to me that the executives at Fox are looking for ways to make some more money off of some of their established franchises, especially with talk of a Planet of the Apes prequel. Lets just hope they aren’t planning a Speed 3-D!

Eh, I'd semi care if it weren't at Fox.

Agreed on the Fox comment. The movie would have to be something really special to be worth making. I caught Speed on TV last week. I got to see it on my Dad's new 52" LCD, and it was like watching it for the first time again.

I do enjoy watching the first film although I have never bothered with the 2nd. A third would have to be really good.. I suppose rather than trying to out do the first by setting it on a high speed train or something like that they could just go back to the first and set it on a bus again.. Have Hoppers character came back and somehow trick Jack on to a bus to put him through the same ordeal again to get revenge on him.. only up ante, like maybe his kids are on board too or something.

knowing fox and the hollywood world we live in these days
im sure there will be helicopter getting blown up and plenty of guns

We saw Hopper's character get his head chopped off. How do you come back from that?

knowing fox and the hollywood world we live in these days
im sure there will be helicopter getting blown up and plenty of guns

Like the first one ?

We saw Hopper's character get his head chopped off. How do you come back from that?

A really good plastic surgeon. :D

Agreed on the Fox comment. The movie would have to be something really special to be worth making. I caught Speed on TV last week. I got to see it on my Dad's new 52" LCD, and it was like watching it for the first time again.

Speed is one of the best high concept action movies ever, I agree with what the guy at /film said, but the second was putrid garbage and I just can't imagine them having a strong enough hook to entice Keanu for a 3rd, for starters they'd be needing a new director as Jan de bont has fallen off.

Probably someone will ask him about it this week while he promotes TDTESS, but I see NO way Keanu doing that.The guy has other projects in the bag and much better things than a Speed rehash.

i dont remember a chopper blowing up?
and i also dont remember there being lots of guns

When the chopper flies alongside the buss at one point i thought it crashed into the side of the tunnel but i might be getting mixed up with Broken Arrow.
The film has guns in just about every scene, or do you mean gun fights ?

Speed 3? :rolleyes:

eh, liked the first one. Wasn't crazy about the second one

When the chopper flies alongside the buss at one point i thought it crashed into the side of the tunnel but i might be getting mixed up with Broken Arrow.
The film has guns in just about every scene, or do you mean gun fights ?

sorry i should have been more specific
i mean more gun fights
more running around on foot

i just imagine it to be Die Hard 4 but with a speeding bus

Is anyone really craving another Speed movie? The first one was great, but the second one was a bomb. I don't see a point.

His twin.. ala Die Hard 3

That wasn't a twin. That was his brother, played by Jeremy Irons. Last time I check, he looks nothing like Alan Rickman ;)

Also, that article says Hopper is reprising his role as Howard Payne. Payne got his head cut off in Speed. No way he could surivive that. Just makes no sense.

Agreed, it's pretty ridiculous.

But I wouldn't mind seeing another Speed movie as long as Keanu came back.

That wasn't a twin. That was his brother, played by Jeremy Irons. Last time I check, he looks nothing like Alan Rickman ;)

Also, that article says Hopper is reprising his role as Howard Payne. Payne got his head cut off in Speed. No way he could surivive that. Just makes no sense.

Yeah I know it was his brother but I meant it could be his twin going after Jack for revenge after what happened to his brother.. If there is any truth to what Hopper said about his character returning, how could he after his characters head was chopped off.. unless Hopper was returning as his characters twin.

Hopper compared the Speed franchise to "a river of s**t, from which I plan to extract some gold" when talking about his involvement in Speed 3. I really hope he is back, just for that wonderful quote alone :applaud

Will Sandra Bullock return for this?

Will Sandra Bullock return for this?

She should, considering how craptastic her career has become in recent years.

I think she's pretty good a comedy (or in the case of Speed, light-hearted action/drama) but she's terrible when she tries to do a serious drama.

just when i thought it was impossible for Fox to suck anymore than it already did...

Well twins don't have to be identical.

Just to be technical.

:p

if they could make an awesome return for die hard then why not this...

considering the current trend of having hardons over prequels.

i bet they are going to have a prequel where we learn how Keanu Reeves became a cop.

how exciting

:whatever:

there is more chance of Heath Ledger reprising his role as the Joker than there is of Keanu Reeves doing another Speed movie.

what a joke these people at Fox are!

considering the current trend of having hardons over prequels.

i bet they are going to have a prequel where we learn how Keanu Reeves became a cop.

how exciting

:whatever:

there is more chance of Heath Ledger reprising his role as the Joker than there is of Keanu Reeves doing another Speed movie.

what a joke these people at Fox are!

Careful...This might actually happen... :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"