Friday Night Lights

Triligors

Sidekick
Reaction score
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

fnl425.jpg

"...Favorite pilot of all the new shows and... might be the best pilot... ever seen." - New York Post

"One of the five best new shows for fall." - Houston Chronicle

"Best new show paneled...'Friday Night Lights'." - The Star-Ledger

"Top pilot: NBC's 'Friday Night Lights'... One of the best pilots... in a couple of years." - San Jose Mercury News

From acclaimed writer/director Peter Berg and Brian Grazer.

In Dillon, Texas, high school football isn’t just a sport, it’s a way of life. This year, the Dillon Panthers are expected to go all the way. That’s a lot of pressure for Eric Taylor in his first year as head coach. Not to mention, the pressure on the athletes who all have their sights set on college and the NFL. Coach Taylor is ready to mold these boys into champions and encourage them to be better men. Will they rise to the challenge?

PILOT Episode premieres: October 3rd

The Official website: Friday Night Lights

My PILOT Review:

After downloading several of the new PILOT episodes that have leaked out onto the net, surprisingly this is the PILOT episode that won me over. In my opinion, this is definitely the best PILOT for the fall season.

One thing is certain straight from the start, this a series about the characters and the journey that they go through. All of these characters are relatable and by the time Friday night comes around makes you root for them to win. This show will definitely appeal to a wide range audience, those who play and watch sports and those who don't.

The series carries the same tone as that of the movie in terms of how the camera is used, the dramatic and slightly documentary tone, as well as how the music and scenery comes into play. Also, needless to say, the series- like the movie- is about seeing these characters and their journey. And it's a journey that after seeing the PILOT I definitely want to make.

10/10

I am definitely watching it.
NBC is hitting it big this season.

I easily watch more shows on NBC than any other network.

Yeah, definitely. Another PILOT that I saw was 'Kidnapped' which was also a really well done Pilot and leaves the viewer wanting to see what happens next.

PETER BERG ON FILMING IN AUSTIN, TEXAS:

NBC's "Friday Night Lights" bases itself in Austin to capture how high school football dominates life in that state's small towns. "It just felt like it would be bogus to film in Santa Clarita," producer Peter Berg said at TV critics' press tour, referencing a frequent desert location near L.A. "Or, God forbid, go up to Canada and have a bunch of Canadians running around talking in Southern accents." Berg, who spent a year in Texas preparing the feature film on which the series is based, plans to shoot actual high school football games and cut the footage into his continuing character study.

"For the big production value, for the 30,000 fans, for the marching band, for the cheerleaders, we're using real schools," Berg said. "I think it will bring a lot more truth to it."

I may watch it just for the fact that it's filmed in my home town. Otherwise, I have no interest in it. Not a big fan of football...and I know it's just a backdrop for a deeper story.

Just checked out the website and the PILOT episode is up!

You can view it here.

And also, just wondering- has anybody read the book in which the film and series were based/inspired by?

I'm gonna check it out, not much worth watching Tuesday nights. I was really unimpressed with the movie though, one of the worst football movies I've seen. The series has Adrianne Palicki (Jess from Supernatural pilot/Kara from Smallville season 3 finale) though and she's hot enough to check my interest.

It's funny that a show called Friday Night Lights is being broadcast on Tuesdays.

Well why would they show it on Fridays? Most of the people who would watch it are either playing in or watching the local game.

Exactly, airing it on Friday would be a ratings suicide. Because they are really looking for all interested in Football to tune into the show, which knowing the US is ALOT. I mean, look at how many football movies there are actually. It's America's new favorite past time. Which I think and hope will make a difference with this and ratings and 'Clubhouse' (about a teenage batboy for the New York Yankees) and ratings. So, since those who watch local football games or participate are one of the key 'targets' for the show- putting it on a Friday would not be a smart move on the part of NBC.

I also think, originally, the show was put into the Friday slot. But, for the reasons decided above, decided against it

It's not ironic.:rolleyes:

Ironic means something is made mostly of iron.

this is a great show! feels real...not that i ever played football...but many in my family did.

That was a damn good episode. Slightly predictable, but damn good.

I liked this the first two times I saw it, when it was called Varsity Blues and Any Given Sunday. Generic and predictable, also a possibly paralyzing tackle should look a lot more painful, the hit looked very standard. I'll check out a couple more episodes see if they take in a different direction that is actually interesting and new.

amazingfantasy15 said:
I liked this the first two times I saw it, when it was called Varsity Blues and Any Given Sunday. Generic and predictable, also a possibly paralyzing tackle should look a lot more painful, the hit looked very standard. I'll check out a couple more episodes see if they take in a different direction that is actually interesting and new.

Yeah, it looked like a solid tackle actually, I really couldnt see what happened to make him possibly paralyze. This show just reminbds me of my high school football days, it was nothing like this though.

lol i know this be about football...but it would be nice to see more marchingband/color guard :D

Darthphere said:
Why arent you fools watching this show? I havent been this emotionally invested ina show since ever. You can watch all the episodes to date on http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episodes/friday_night_lights.shtml?show=fridaynight01

I watch it every week, but unless someone here is a Neilsen family, then it's not going to help much. From what I understand it's not doing so great in the ratings which suck. I hate getting invested in a show and then it gets canned (American Dreams, Blade). I'm hoping Monday's episode after Heroes helps people get involved.

Kable24 said:
I watch it every week, but unless someone here is a Neilsen family, then it's not going to help much. From what I understand it's not doing so great in the ratings which suck. I hate getting invested in a show and then it gets canned (American Dreams, Blade). I'm hoping Monday's episode after Heroes helps people get involved.

It went up in ratings over its original time slot a bit, and it did better than Studio 60 in that same slot, so things are looking up.

Friday Night Lights isn't very interesting. It seems to just mishmash together the best parts of the last 10-15 of football movies together. I know it's thrilling, but I'm hoping the team will win or lose decisively a few times, every game has gone down to the last second. Also what was up with the storyline with Adrienne Palllicki and the business man? Lyla and Riggins getting together seems like a cheap ploy, Street was injured three weeks ago and already his "best friend" is moving in on his girlfriend. They need to lay off the football cliches, maybe give some of the defense some screen time. Also, I realize high school football is big in Texas, but a coaches job being threatened for one loss, after just losing their starting QB? Seems a little unrealistic, even for Texas high school football

Actually its not. Texas football is highly competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"