Friday The 13th Reboot | WB/New Line??

Quick question for fans of the series. Did they ever explain how Jason aged to adulthood after dying as a child? Like, how did his corpse keep growing? Lol, just curious.

I like the idea well enough for a tv show. I like the original quite a bit, so seeing earlier Pamela killings isn't a much of a turnoff for me. Will be interesting to see what kinds of different avenues they take to spinoff out of this with movies/future seasons.

Barsamian is the current holder of the rights not in Miller’s briefcase, including the title and the mask. That points to the two parties now working together on this project and that those elements could potentially show up at one point.

I have zero interest in a prequel centered around Mrs. Voorhees and young Jason. Would much rather a total remake/reimagining of the original storyline (movie or series) that maybe starts with Jason as an adult in present day and features flashbacks of what went down with his mother.

Either way, as a horror night, I'll be watching this anyway but Bryan Fuller's extensive involvement make this a must-see TV event. Could be amazing with him running the show and he will definitely make it unique.

EXCLUSIVE: Bryan Fuller Tells Us Everything He Can About CRYSTAL LAKE

Excellent. So, for starters, what characters and locations and whatnot are you allowed to use from the Friday the 13th franchise?

Everything. We can use everything. We can go to Hell, we can go to space. That's not to say that we will do those things ... although if we do go 10 seasons, I will be lobbying hard to go to space.

(Laughs)

A24 and Marc Toberoff, who is Victor Miller's lawyer, have beautifully and excruciatingly assembled all of the Friday the 13th rights. As a streaming series, we have the rights to do everything underneath the Friday the 13thumbrella. The movie rights are a completely different thing. They are tied up at New Line and are super, super messy and probably won't be untangled anytime soon, but as far as us chickens in the television industry, uh, roost, we have access to anything and everything that Friday the 13th has done up until this point.

This has been pitched as a prequel series, so how far back in the timeline will we be when Crystal Lake begins?

I don't think I'm allowed to say just yet, but I would say it's less a prequel series than a ... pre-remake-uel series.

OK, but you could be dancing around this. Could be that "Jason" is in it, but he's a kid rather than the masked killer everyone's imagining.

I think over the course of the series you will see many familiar manifestations of Jason!

Everything you've done for television to this point has had a bold look - I mean, consider Hannibal, just for starters. Can we expect Crystal Lake to also have a similarly distinctive look?

Yes. One of the things that is super exciting and one of the many reasons that we went with Peacock is that they blew every other competitor out of the water. There was a bidding war on this, and they came in strong and gave us a full-season commitment with a huge penalty if we don't do a second season. So it's kind of a two-season commitment (laughs), but really just the first-season commitment. We're going to have roughly five times the per-episode budget that we had on Hannibal.

That kinda money buys a lot of machetes.

We also have the creative support of Susan Rovner, who is hands down the best television executive that I've ever worked with; she was the executive on Pushing Daisiesand shepherded it into its final form. I've been dying to work with her again for 15 years, and we finally worked it out! Her excitement about this, combined with understanding the different emotional pressure points that I have as an audience member who worked with special needs kids (and who also had a serial killer as a camp supervisor*), well, I think it will all work in concert to spin this version of Friday the 13th on its axis a bit. It will absolutely be recognizable for the hardcore Friday the 13th fans, but will also have an appeal to people who are simply interested in top-shelf TV storytelling.

Final question: how murderous is Crystal Lake gonna be? I'm sure you're not aiming for a particular, per-season kill count, but a certain amount of slashing must be on your mind.

It will be pretty murderous! I think we'll be dropping bodies every episode, and I think there's something about the build of that, as we are hopefully in for the long haul. I wasn't kidding: if we get 10 seasons, I'm going to make a concerted effort to find a way to rationally and dramatically and, in some fashion, go to space. I can't imagine it going 10 seasons, but I will put that out there that, uh ... well, I haven't gotten past laying out the first three seasons, honestly, so I suppose it's very easy for me to say, yeah, if we get to 10 seasons, we're going to space. Wait and see!

Okay, sounds great and much better. I imagine this will be a very different take on the franchise, kind of like Hannibal was. Just can't really picture Fuller directly translating many of the famous (and often silly/fantastical) elements of the movies and Jason himself.

Super jealous that F13 is getting the long-form TV series treatment before Halloween, and from Bryan Fuller of all people. The Halloween franchise would be perfect for this kind of storytelling that would act as a "pre-remake-uel series", as he says, that starts from scratch and reimagines everything. Although, can't complain too much since my boy Michael has been top dawg for the past decade with a freshly completed trilogy under his belt. But Michael is now due for a fresh take and "reimagining".

I’m also curious what era/eras they’ll set the first few seasons in?

Easily s1 sounds like half involving Pamela working at the camp and losing a son… and then the second half will be a soft remake of F13, and each season playing with remaking and reimagining what we know.

I’m hoping they keep this soft-dated. Since the og came out in 1980, maybe have the summer Jason dies being summer ‘80 with a quicker time jump revolving around her revenge. Maybe teasing out if Jason is truly alive or he’s blamed for being a ghost killing counselors when Pamela has be doing it all along with the irony of Jason turning into a killer as well.

Age up Jason when the accident happens and s2-beyond can hit up mid ‘80a and into the 1990’s.

Take advantage of time jumps and the legend of Jason growing. Since the timeline of the film series is pretty goofy considering how fast they made those films.

Oh I had no idea this was in the works. I hope it actually comes to fruition. Though between this and the movie that he’s working on, I wonder which will go into production first.

Easily s1 sounds like half involving Pamela working at the camp and losing a son… and then the second half will be a soft remake of F13, and each season playing with remaking and reimagining what we know.

I’m hoping they keep this soft-dated. Since the og came out in 1980, maybe have the summer Jason dies being summer ‘80 with a quicker time jump revolving around her revenge. Maybe teasing out if Jason is truly alive or he’s blamed for being a ghost killing counselors when Pamela has be doing it all along with the irony of Jason turning into a killer as well.

Age up Jason when the accident happens and s2-beyond can hit up mid ‘80a and into the 1990’s.

Take advantage of time jumps and the legend of Jason growing. Since the timeline of the film series is pretty goofy considering how fast they made those films.

All this would be awesome!

Okay, sounds great and much better. I imagine this will be a very different take on the franchise, kind of like Hannibal was. Just can't really picture Fuller directly translating many of the famous (and often silly/fantastical) elements of the movies and Jason himself.

Super jealous that F13 is getting the long-form TV series treatment before Halloween, and from Bryan Fuller of all people. The Halloween franchise would be perfect for this kind of storytelling that would act as a "pre-remake-uel series", as he says, that starts from scratch and reimagines everything. Although, can't complain too much since my boy Michael has been top dawg for the past decade with a freshly completed trilogy under his belt. But Michael is now due for a fresh take and "reimagining".

At this point, I’d love limited series versions of A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and even Candyman. We’ve already got Chucky, we’re getting Hellraiser on HBO, and now Crystal Lake. We’re truly in a golden age for horror!

I would give anything for a A Nightmare on Elm Street series. That’s a dream come true there.

Was Dream Warrior when Robert Englund and the writers started turning Freddy into a comedian.

Um, yes and no... He started quipping more pre each kill - but I don't think they undermined Freddy's evilness until;
tumblr_nv1b43THEN1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Which is remotely different than;
NOES-3-tv-set.gif

Um, yes and no... He started quipping more pre each kill - but I don't think they undermined Freddy's evilness until;
tumblr_nv1b43THEN1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Which is remotely different than;
NOES-3-tv-set.gif
The TV kill I remember and the puppet one.

I agree wholeheartedly. He was comedic from Dream Warriors onward but it wasn’t until Freddy’s Dead where he was basically a comedian who kills people in dreams.

I love Dream Warriors but that did begin the road to the clown MTV Freddy that he became.

After reading a bit more, now I'm excited. Sounds like we will see Jason after all, hockey mask and all. Count me in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"