From Out Of The Past... The History In Pictures Thread

Trainees take a joke picture with Col. Anthony Joseph Drexel Biddle Sr., hand-to-hand combat expert, 1943. Known for ordering trainee Marines to attempt to kill him with bayonets, and disarming them all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Joseph_Drexel_Biddle_Sr.

f60ArCK.jpeg

A poster about spreading communicable diseases, 1943.

qtxm4.jpg

Duke Ellington at the piano as Dizzy Gillespie (seated behind Ellington) and others swing, Gjon Mili, 1943.

oibV17w.jpg

Ethel Waters, Eddie anderson, John w. Bubbles, and Lena Horne in Cabin In The Sky, 1943.

Cabin in the Sky (film) - Wikipedia

I75Ul3Q.jpeg

Soviet partisan caught by German forces, Soviet Union July 1943. Neither one looks over 18.

KnEZtwe.jpeg

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Spencer scores a direct hit on the enemy vessel U-175, 1943.

A34UKT8.gif

Camp Commandant Amon Goeth, infamous from the movie “Schindler’s List”, on the balcony of his house overlooking Plaszow labor camp, Poland. 1943-44.

JZnHSeJ.jpeg

September 1943. "Greyhound bus trip from Louisville, Kentucky, to Memphis, Tennessee, and the terminals. Waiting for a bus at the Memphis station." Photo by Esther Bubley for the Office of War Information.

Sa0PDiV.jpeg

Pit-women relaxing after lunch, New Hampshire, June 1943.

RyLyP2F.jpeg

Utah Beach, 6 June 1944.

lIzfabF.jpeg

RAF Lancaster bomber goes down in flames during a medium level bombing raid in support of the Normandy landings in 1944.

American G.I. meets French child, Normandy, June, 1944.

Rb0TwbB.jpeg

US Navy F6F Hellcats dogfighting with a Nakajima A6M2-N floatplane off Truk Lagoon in early 1944.

Soviet soldiers dumbfounded by a pile of human ashes found at the Majdanek concentration camp, 1944.

WT47aU7.jpg

Germany, Nordhausen, prisoners of Dora-Mittelbau concentration camp working on V1, V2, 1944.

zUPFuOS.png

The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 1944 as seen by allied troops and Italian citizens.

ie6UxU5.jpeg

7nhsWws.jpeg

A member of the French Forces of the Interior (FFI) uses a truck for cover during gun battles with German snipers in Dreux, August 1944.

uKW25AY.png

An unidentified soldier getting "bunny ears" from a French prostitute. September, 1944.

CVMNRqr.jpg

Empire State Building on fire after being rammed by a B-25 bomber and then it's aftermath - July 28, 1945.

KnSikdp.jpeg

Wn5hAGH.jpeg

Kids crowd a cotton candy booth, 1945.

OnxhP.jpeg

Sidelines of the 1945 NFL Championship between the Cleveland Rams and the Washington Redskins.

ikEnCqz.jpeg

Marilyn Monroe photographed by Andres de Dienes in October 1945.

hxjIsYz.jpeg

Jimi Hendrix and his dad, 1945.

XbORRJ0.jpeg

The Detroit Times, Front Section, April 16, 1945.

Detroit, celebrating the end of World War II, 1945.

uIT3cx1.jpeg

Enlisted men aboard the U.S.S. Ticonderoga (CV-14) hear the news of Japan’s surrender. August 14, 1945.

LLC9Ki5.jpg

American service member walking out of the discharge station, 1945.

xNynu0C.jpg

Reactions: B
Aerial shot of Coney Island, NYC, July 4, 1946.

M0movUs.jpg

A man takes a picture of a woman using an idealized background amidst the still under repair city of Warsaw, Poland, 1946.

lqF1s.jpg

A boat travels near the wreckage of bridge still damaged from the fighting during WWII, Hungary, Budapest 1946.

PTCib0c.jpg

Two "cross dressing" men are placed in lock up for violating public morality codes of the day, Las Vegas, 1946.

zzeCvig.jpg

Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr and Hank Greenberg with a very fresh faced John F. Kennedy, Fenway Park, Boston, 1946.

d1o7BcX.jpg

A rainy day on the streets of Melbourne, Australia, 1946.

xfPJJPD.jpg

Pictures from the Vancouver Province newspaper strike in 1946 Canada.

gyWe4Li.jpg

O2owU3v.jpg

Jackie Robinson and his stats from 1946.

qHu1E7k.jpg

VQ0VDBu.jpg

Five Star General, Supreme Allied Commander and future President of the United States of American, Dwight David "Ike" Eisenhower - 1946 ***colorized by jecinci.

LOkUlmj.jpg

Former German Nazi soldiers playing American football in the “Barbwire Bowl Classic”, at Stockton Ordnance Depot POW camp on January 13, 1946.

Hwp8yrz.png

Mr. and Mrs. William Rick Baker picking hops at the Mitoma hopyard near Independence, Oregon in 1946. They are older laborers and have been picking each season for 30 years. He is 77 years old, she, 72; $12 per day. By OSU Special Collections & Archives

z6ESCVR.jpg

The Winecoff Hotel fire of December 7, 1946, was the deadliest hotel fire in United States history, killing 119 hotel occupants, including the hotel's original owners. Located at 176 Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, United States, the Winecoff Hotel was advertised as "absolutely fireproof". While the hotel's steel structure was indeed protected against the effects of fire, the hotel's interior finishes were combustible, and the building's exit arrangements consisted of a single stairway serving all fifteen floors. All of the hotel's occupants above the fire's origin on the third floor were trapped, and the fire's survivors either were rescued from upper-story windows or jumped into nets held by firemen.

Winecoff Hotel fire - Wikipedia

59jcRqE.jpg

Rita Hayworth as Gilda, 1946.

b5m5E3H.jpg

Norma Jeane (later Marilyn Monroe) dressed in her magazine covers, 1946. Norma Jeane's pictures started to appear on several magazine covers and she acquired a local celebrity status as one of the most popular models on the West Coast.

2z7p0ek.jpg

Rebel Randall, Radio Personality & Actress, 1946.

38gQ161.png

Just a sailor and marine just hanging out during shore leave, 1946.

DQJ0nyY.jpg

Singer Sarah Vaughan, 1946, Cafe' Society Club, NYC.

FEmiXhd.jpg

1947, and a woman on the Normandy beaches looks at the hulls of various vessels used to transport men and equipment into France during the Allied D-Day invasion.

1SmSoV2.jpg

A bartender found in one of the many clubs of Shanghai, 1947.

jTTC0HC.jpg

This was Beijing, China in 1947.

m9iy3i8.jpg

North American JF-1 Fury in flight, 1947.

7QBz2lJ.jpg

Man readies The Calcutta National Library, Culcutta, India, for the partition of the subcontinental nation in 1947.

wbEoiUK.jpg

Tanks on parade in Washington DC, 1947.

qo6u5ZW.jpg

Times Square NYC during the 1947 blizzard.

0ETDmGo.jpg

Carmen Miranda, Groucho Marx and friends in Copacabana, 1947.

eCMjX6g.jpg

Reactions: B
Times Square, NYC, 1948.

OthaUIY.jpg

Samsen Raphelson who wrote for the first "Talkie", The Jazz Singer, in group photo with his students from 1948. Included in this group are Gene Shalit who would go on to be a well known movie critic and Hugh Hefner, who would of course found Playboy Magazine.

bfNw9.jpg

Three guys that definitely put some thought into how they should dress, 1948.

xriOeTn.jpg

Ingrid Bergman with Alfred Hitchcock, London, 1948.

KFRHfO6.jpg

Three young ladies pose in swimwear, Italy, 1948.

XDkuuPu.jpg

Future Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin, 1948.

In November 1995, he was assassinated by an extremist named Yigal Amir, who opposed the terms of the Oslo Accords. Amir was arrested and convicted of Rabin's murder; he was sentenced to life imprisonment. Rabin was the first native-born prime minister of Israel, the only prime minister to be assassinated and the second to die in office after Levi Eshkol. Rabin has become a symbol of the Israeli–Palestinian peace process.

Yitzhak Rabin - Wikipedia

OO45uYc.png

Strike captain during protest by the packing house workers in Chicago, March of 1948.

xeH7F69.jpg

In 1948, Burlesque Dancer Stacy "Stormy" Lawrence Did a Surprise Striptease for the Students at LSU in Baton Rouge, LA, US.

HMV2FZA.jpg

The interior of the first McDonalds, San Bernadino, 1948.

ctedkTf.jpg

Felice Bonetto full opposite lock while smoking a cigarette at the Mantova Circuit, 1948.

rjeMDyv.jpg

History in the making, boys and girls...

My local station at Berkhamsted 21st of March 2020 07.15
Just my car and one other, and this is a main line station that goes directly into Euston and this station is a major commuter route usually...IMG_7349.JPG
21st of March 2020 07:30 and the occupancy of my carriage is myself plus one man with his bicycle!
IMG_7357.JPG

21st of March 2020 08:11 platform at Euston station, London
IMG_7359.JPG

21st of March 2020 08:15 Euston station main concourse, it is usually jam packed, people shoulder to shoulder...
IMG_7361.JPG

21st of March 2020 08:25 Leicester Square tube station main escalator...
2020-03-21 08.28.17.jpg

21st of March 2020 08:25 Leicester Square tube station main ticket hall...
IMG_7370.JPG

21st of March 2020 08:30 Leicester Square, which houses some of London's most famous cinemas, a lot of premieres show here.
The pavements are wet, not from rain, but a man driving a small electric vehicle spraying disinfectant...
IMG_7376.JPG

21st of March 2020 08:40 Piccadilly Circus and the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain, mistakenly known as the Eros statue...
IMG_7379.JPG

21st of March 2020 08:40 another photograph at Piccadilly Circus, note the almost complete absence of traffic...
IMG_7380.JPG

21st of March 2020 08:50 and this is Trafalgar square, Nelson's Column is actually behind me...
IMG_7395.JPG

Just my car and one other, and this is a main line station that goes directly into Euston and this station is a major commuter route usually...View attachment 33213
21st of March 2020 07:30 and the occupancy of my carriage is myself plus one man with his bicycle!
View attachment 33215

View attachment 33217

21st of March 2020 08:15 Euston station main concourse, it is usually jam packed, people shoulder to shoulder...
View attachment 33218

View attachment 33219

View attachment 33221

21st of March 2020 08:30 Leicester Square, which houses some of London's most famous cinemas, a lot of premieres show here.
The pavements are wet, not from rain, but a man driving a small electric vehicle spraying disinfectant...
View attachment 33223

21st of March 2020 08:40 Piccadilly Circus and the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain, mistakenly known as the Eros statue...
View attachment 33224

21st of March 2020 08:40 another photograph at Piccadilly Circus, note the almost complete absence of traffic...
View attachment 33226

21st of March 2020 08:50 and this is Trafalgar square, Nelson's Column is actually behind me...
View attachment 33228

Looks so earie.

I wish I could say NYC is like that exactly... But there's still lots prowling about, at least in daylight hours.

And we continue...

21st of March 2020 08:50 and another shot of Trafalgar Square...
IMG_7384.JPG

21st of March 2020 09:10 this is Westminster Bridge... no traffic and no people. Well, apart from a few runners...
IMG_7408.JPG

21st of March 2020 09:15, Bob seems unfazed by it all...
IMG_7413.JPG

21st of March 2020 09:15 The world famous London Eye on the bank of the River Thames at the South side of Westminster Bridge. Even at this time of the day, it should be heaving with people and although you can't tell in this photograph, the wheel is not turning. In all the years I have known this to be here I have never seen it still in any of my other visits...
IMG_7415.JPG

21st of March 2020 09:50 Buckingham Palace...
Funnily enough about a minute after I took this photograph I saw and heard a police protected motorcade come out of nowhere, lights and sirens flashing, that were accompanying two vehicles with blacked out windows.
Obviously very important people. Or perhaps they were on the way to the supermarket to get some toilet paper!
IMG_7437.JPG

21st of March 2020 09:50 Another view of the palace... Again, the absence of vehicles and a lone runner...
IMG_7440.JPG

21st of March 2020 12:20 and a deserted panoramic photograph of Covent Garden...
Most of the shops were shut, but the almost total absence of people is very jarring. What these photographs don't convey is how very quiet it was.
IMG_5358.jpeg

I have a load more photographs, but I think these are among the most interesting and convey just how Covid-19 is affecting the UK...

Looks so earie.

I wish I could say NYC is like that exactly... But there's still lots prowling about, at least in daylight hours.

Thank you for the comment Mr. Inc. :yay:

A few of my friends said I was mad to go into London yesterday "just to take some photographs"
But I felt a very strong need to document for myself what will end up being a once in a generation event and quite possibly a pivotal moment of history...
To be fair to my friends, I am not your typical person... :D

Just my car and one other, and this is a main line station that goes directly into Euston and this station is a major commuter route usually...View attachment 33213
View attachment 33215

View attachment 33217

View attachment 33218

View attachment 33219

View attachment 33221

View attachment 33223

View attachment 33224

View attachment 33226

View attachment 33228
This is so strange to look at. I’ve never seen those places like this at that kind of time.

A couple leaving the movie theater in Fort Worth, Texas, 1949.

5BdlB.jpeg

A young man rides his bike to his training in the burgeoning Indian Air Force, Tambaram, 1949.

1S7j0sr.jpeg

Cecil B. Demille, Gloria Swanson and Billy Wilder on set of Sunset Boulevard, 1949.

K7Xqycp.jpg

Billie Holiday in a recording session, 1949.

ZePwUpj.jpeg

Notre Dame, Paris, 1949.

uCCHoNV.jpeg

Hard to believe it but in the comics of the time, despite being an instant part of Americana starting in 1938, Superman as a character was not aware of his origins as an "alien" until this story published in 1949.
Superman #61, November 1949.

X5Ksilu.jpeg

h3pveVW.jpeg

Halloween, 1949.

1eDZQnI.jpeg

Batman and Robin as they appeared in their serial, their second, from 1949.

6iQ9AP4.jpeg

The first launch from then Cape Canaveral, 1950.

b8wiTsG.jpg

Pittsburgh, 1950.

6UXYy1Q.jpeg

A police officer takes the statement of two men who were the victims of a violent assault, Chicago, 1950.

PXPDTxq.jpeg

U.N. Security Council, Warren Austin, U.S. delegate, holds Russian-made submachine gun captured by American troops as he charges that Russia is delivering arms to North Koreans, July 1950.

xbWN3Gd.jpeg

Tokyo Department Store Uses Live Models, June 5, 1950.

4QPtXr2.jpeg

Soldiers from the U.S. 2nd Infantry Division in action near the Ch'ongch'on River, 20 November 1950.

memKTD2.jpg

Photographer Diane and husband Allan Arbus in 1950.

Arbus worked to normalize marginalized groups and highlight the importance of proper representation of all people. She worked with a wide range of subjects including members of the LGBTQ+ community, strippers, carnival performers, nudists, dwarves, children, mothers, couples, elderly people, and middle-class families. She photographed her subjects in familiar settings: their homes, on the street, in the workplace, in the park. “She is noted for expanding notions of acceptable subject matter and violates canons of the appropriate distance between photographer and subject. By befriending, not objectifying her subjects, she was able to capture in her work a rare psychological intensity”.

8tA8FIR.jpg

Winter 1950, Paris.

SdbpsRH.jpeg

The voice actors of many of the characters in Disney's "Alice in Wonderland" (Ed Wynn, Kathryn Beaumont, Richard Haydn, Jerry Colona)... also served as live-action models for the animators back in 1951.

1bVAk0j.jpeg

nvDThxl.jpeg

e05bw5d.jpeg

VAK9ZLk.jpeg

DGrsj6G.jpeg

yCbjyiX.jpeg

rWkqJ74.jpeg

Scars of a man who was in Hiroshima when the first Atomic Bomb was dropped, photographed in 1951.

Q77R3Cu.jpg

A woman displays an atomic bomb inspired hairstyle, 1951.

jXug0b1.jpeg

Lance Corporal Robert John Sobol, a member of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, kneels at the grave of a fallen comrade, Private Lloyd K. Wylie, in a United Nations cemetery. Pusan, Korea. April 25, 1951.

iMfAUn5.jpeg

Elizabeth Taylor aged 19, 1951.

TVg71Z8.jpeg

Maria Félix in the 1951 film, La corona negra.

dWx4mRn.jpeg

USS Boxer arrives in Port San Diego, California, 1951.

FWTMYx0.jpeg

1951 Tootsie Roll ad.

DkPPqmN.jpeg

Cover for ASTOUNDING SCIENCE FICTION from 1951.

Analog Science Fiction and Fact - Wikipedia

LzpDnOz.jpeg

Three Queens in mourning at the funeral for King George VI who died in 1952. The photo shows, from L to R, Princess Elizabeth (the new Queen); Queen Mary (the King’s mother) and Queen Elizabeth (the King’s wife) on their way into the chapel.

3svAwFL.jpg

Marilyn Monroe with a burger. Hollywood, California, 1952.

cMHGW.jpg

Ernest Hemingway boxing while on a big game hunt in Kenya, 1952.

t60pcEZ.jpg

This photograph was captured by a Rapid Action Electronic camera in 1952, during the Tumbler-Snapper tests performed in Nevada. The "spikes" are caused by the mooring cables being incinerated.

1LQSFZ9.jpg

Iron lung ward filled with polio patients, Rancho Los Amigos Hospital, California, 1952.

Hot27zj.png

Betty White at home with her dog in 1952.

VjKkbR4.jpg

Rocky Marciano, 29, slugs the World Heavyweight Champion, 38-year-old Jersey Joe Walcott, in Philadelphia on September 23, 1952.

gGOdlu5.jpg

Roy Rogers, Bob Hope and Douglass Dumbrille in the comedy film Son of Paleface, 1952.

YSi7Cjs.jpg

Future President and First Lady Jack Kennedy & Jacqueline Bouvier walking together, ca. 1952.

wZlFqvI.jpg

The Apple Sellers, somewhere in Korea 1952. Kodachrome slide taken of an open air market by US Army Chaplain Edgar Tainton, Jr.

9zDbV7r.jpg

Cutting a rug at the Storyville Jazz Club, Copenhagen 1952.

cuG82kL.jpg

Westminster Bridge, London, 1952.

lOiGrCH.jpg

Septic tanks being hussled as bomb shelters, 1952.

dogW5Uk.png

The Great Smog of London, or Great Smog of 1952, was a severe air-pollution event that affected the British capital of London in early December 1952. A period of cold weather, combined with an anticyclone and windless conditions, collected airborne pollutants—mostly arising from the use of coal—to form a thick layer of smog over the city. It lasted from Friday 5 December to Tuesday 9 December 1952, and dispersed quickly when the weather changed.

It caused major disruption by reducing visibility and even penetrating indoor areas, far more severely than previous smog events experienced in the past, called "pea-soupers". Government medical reports in the following weeks, however, estimated that up until 8 December, 4,000 people had died as a direct result of the smog and 100,000 more were made ill by the smog's effects on the human respiratory tract. More recent research suggests that the total number of fatalities may have been considerably greater, one paper suggesting about 6,000 more died in the following months as a result of the event.

London has suffered since the 13th century from poor air quality, which worsened in the 1600s, but the Great Smog is known to be the worst air-pollution event in the history of the United Kingdom, and the most significant in terms of its effect on environmental research, government regulation, and public awareness of the relationship between air quality and health. It led to several changes in practices and regulations, including the Clean Air Act 1956.

Dk20KEu.jpg

London-fog-1952.jpg

all-that-is-interesting.comtower-bridge-smog-9b7e190a63b8024384534d2e04e5323a074c8030.jpg

Motorcycle_in_Fog__TopFoto_The_Image_Works.jpg

deathintheair-hc_wide-943b97db301e9f37cb0646117c77834c388fd3d8.jpg

p03cpybq.jpg

Scenes-of-a-fog-bound-London.jpg

Moments captured on film in and around Hong Kong, then still under British Imperial rule, 1952-1953.

kwY5lRN.jpg

bwswXwC.jpg

YaAzcye.jpg

5m79uCN.jpg

FFNeE2L.jpg

sIet6Y1.jpg

n1SMgSW.jpg

FuA4jX2.jpg

A 15 year old American bride, 1953.

PWFIJKZ.jpg

Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell on a break from filming Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 1953.

7CZj694.png

From a U.S. Army field manual from 1953... Needless to say they were lying to those soldiers.

1xiEkSG.jpg

Marlon Brando, 1953.

wDHUdGF.png

Elizabeth Taylor, Stockholm, Sweden, 1953.

svIGPoZ.jpg

A behind the scenes shot from one of the best "worst" movies of all time, Robot Monster, 1953.

puNJSBl.jpg

Going out to the movies, Times Square, NYC, 1953.

9EE1Lqk.jpg

Two U.S. Marines relaxing after cease-fire, Korea, 1953.

3I6m4iC.jpg

''Life'' magazine ad for the Pan-American Coffee Bureau featuring George Burns and Gracie Allen, 1953.

ZOJsFx3.png

Marilyn Monroe photographed by Milton Greene, 1953.

lmiwcwQ.jpg

Legendary Japanese film director Akira Kurosawa (center) and his crew filming SEVEN SAMURAI, 1954.

OTChm1I.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock's hilarious advert message to cinemas that refused to screen REAR WINDOW, 1954.

TtTp8uJ.jpg

Ethel Kennedy, Jackie and JFK do a mirror selfie, 1954.

ruKTNFb.jpg

A Young Jim Henson Working On His First 'Kermit' Puppet Prototype, 1954.

RHMWuyc.jpeg

A massive show of force while quelling the 1954 inmate riot at Missouri State Penitentiary.

On the evening of September 22, 1954, there was a major riot at the Missouri State Penitentiary. It started when two inmates faked illness to attract two guards. Once the guards arrived, inmates ambushed them and took their keys. The inmates then ran down cell blocks and corridors, releasing other inmates in the process. During the incident The Missouri State Highway Patrol, the Missouri National Guard, and police departments from Jefferson City, St. Louis, and Kansas City were called in to help quell the riot. When it was all over, four inmates had been killed, 29 had been injured, and one attempted suicide. Four guards were seriously injured. Several buildings were burned, with damages estimated at 5 million dollars. No inmates were able to escape during the incident. Burned buildings and other damage from the riot would remain visible for the next ten years.

tTADXKX.jpeg

Teenaged girls gather at a milk bar, England, 1954.

OSf9dl8.jpg

Cooling off with frozen pops on a hot New York City day, 1954.

q40wbte.jpeg

The Coca-Cola neon sign in Piccadilly Circus getting constructed, London, 1954.

WqvVEsj.jpg

JX1N2lI.jpg

The president's words from 1954-

fybID3K.png

On the floor of a Las Vegas casino, 1955.

UrDqbIU.jpg

Behind The Scenes: Disney's Lady and the Tramp, 1955. The cool guys are the quartet known as The Mellomen whose works also appeared in other Disney Films such as Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan and The Jungle Book.

uP7G67c.jpeg

Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels as The Lone Ranger and Tonto during a photo shoot to help charities fighting against the disease tuberculosis, 1955.

U0lzuJq.jpeg

Christopher Walken and his brother Glenn roll out dough for pie crusts at their father's bakery. 1955.

ii9nhX9.jpeg

Rosa Parks, with MLK in the background, 1955.

image-20151130-10269-1k91bta.jpg

Actresses Diahann Carroll and Pearl Bailey in the Broadway production of Truman Capote’s House of Flowers. The show ran at the Alvin Theatre (now the Neil Simon Theatre) from December 30, 1954 to May 21, 1955.

38bqGFy.jpeg

Ten years after the end of WWII, German prisoners of war return from the Soviet camps, Germany, 1955.

5FdIor7.jpeg

Workers pose during construction of 60-story tall Chase Manhattan Bank, 1955.

JwvKYe2.jpg

The 1955 Monaco Grand Prix.

tMRTwa1.jpg

Famed model Dovima with elephants, evening dress by Dior, Cirque d'Hiver, August 1955.

eDxqEtF.jpeg

To Convince Us Citizens That the Polio Vaccine Was Safe, Elvis Is Administered the Vaccine on National Television, 28/10/1956.

REHJWw0.jpg

Eartha Kitt performing in Havana, Cuba, 1956.

vqG2E7R.jpg

Young kids in San Francisco's Chinatown reading comic books on a Sunday morning, 1956.

ALC0j9u.jpg

Muhammad Ali with a car 45 disc player, 1956.

3UpocZN.jpg

Goodyear Inflatoplane, 1956.

The concept plane actually flew, but the Army decided it was not practical since a single rifle bullet could deflate it and bring it down. Not a fair assessment, since a single bullet to the cooling system can (and did) bring down Spitfires and Mustangs.

OTS923M.jpeg

Bombshell sex symbol Jayne Mansfield getting styled, 1956.

xNGOgPN.jpeg

Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller at the premiere of Baby Doll, 1956.
PppYfLM.jpeg

Album cover for Elington At Newport, 1956.

gDSVhdE.jpeg

Anne Francis doing costume tests for the groundbreaking Hollywood Sci Fi film Forbidden Planet, 1956.

lC5mved.jpg

2rCnxPK.jpg

3IHHpiZ.jpg

Elvis Presley rehearsing for The Ed Sullivan Show, January 6, 1957.

MA3wWcw.jpeg

Sno-Cat hangs precariously over Crevasse during Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition, November/December 1957.

hrVv5hI.jpg

The gorgeous Dorothy Dandridge, 1957.

P2qCaSc.jpeg

July 7th, 1957, Althea Gibson claims the women’s singles tennis title at Wimbledon and becomes the first African American to win a championship at London’s All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

Althea Gibson - Wikipedia

PK3ILtF.jpg

bbxYcGv.jpg

What appears to be an old school small town convenience store in Sweden, 1957.

4EvuDXk.jpeg

International screen icon Marlene Dietrich in Monte Carlo, 1957. She was 56 years old at the time.
lvCcsMC.jpg

Chicago, 1957, and a young married African American couple find them the targets of bigotry after moving into a majority White neighborhood.

dpfrgUk.jpg

Some American soldiers out for a romp in Munich, 1957, and... One of those dude obviously can't hold his liquor.

HGrX6ny.jpg

Audrey Hepburn and Maurice Chevalier on the set of Love in the Afternoon, 1957.

zKsvRIk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"