Game Awards 2023

Reaction score
December 7, 2023. Any game of the year nomination predictions? And game announcement predictions?

I can see Resident Evil 4, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate, Starfield, Spider-Man 2 and Diablo IV being nominated for game of the year.

The way people are going on about Baldur's Gate 3, I wouldn't be surprised if that takes it all.

A goty nomination is already a big win for any game.

I'm interested to see the game announcements, though a lot of big ones probably won't be released until 2025 onwards.

Zelda is taking it all. You are foolish if you think otherwise.

Zelda is taking it all. You are foolish if you think otherwise.
Hey, I'd love to see it since I've actually played that one and I'm unlikely to pick up BG3 since those kind of RPGs were never my thing.

So, thinking the GOTY list will look something like this:

Zelda
Diablo 4
Baldurs Gate 3
Street Fighter 6
Armored Core 6
Vampire Survivor

Zelda
Diablo 4
Baldurs Gate 3
Street Fighter 6
Armored Core 6
Vampire Survivor
VS was last year. :oldrazz:

If there's one indie to be nominated in the GOTY category, I'd bet it's either Sea of Stars or Dave the Diver.

I would be surprised if Resident Evil 4 isn't nominated for GOTY. Resident Evil 2 and Village were nominated for that.

Zelda
Diablo 4
Baldurs Gate 3
Street Fighter 6
Armored Core 6
Vampire Survivor
No Spidey?

spider-man-crying.gif

Not that it would win with the competition it has this year but I could at least see it being recognized like the first game.

It would be surprising if Marvel's Spider-Man 2 isn't nominated for GOTY. I feel like almost every year, Sony is represented in that category and for this year, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is only their real contender. To miss a GOTY nomination for Marvel's Spider-Man 2 would be disappointing for PlayStation Studios.

No Spidey?

spider-man-crying.gif

Not that it would win with the competition it has this year but I could at least see it being recognized like the first game.

Honestly, I kind of wrote off Spider-man 2 because of just how much the snubbed the first game and Miles Morales completely left out.

Snubbed? Spider-Man 2018 was nominated for Best Narrative, Best Action/Adventure, Best Game Direction and most especially Game of the Year.

Honestly, I kind of wrote off Spider-man 2 because of just how much the snubbed the first game and Miles Morales completely left out.
I could have sworn Miles Morales was nominated for GOTY too but I double checked and yeah, nothing except a "Best Action Adventure Game" nomination. I do think that Spider-Man 2 stands a better chance than MM because it's more of a full game.

Snubbed? Spider-Man 2018 was nominated for Best Narrative, Best Action/Adventure, Best Game Direction and most especially Game of the Year.
I take it that Sithborg meant "snubbed = didn't win anything" in this case. 2018 was a crazy year just between the first Spider-Man, God of War and Red Dead Redemption II alone. It was a really tough choice. Personally I'd have gone with RDR2 if it were up to me but I can't be mad at God of War taking it.

Every year is loaded with big games so being nominated for GOTY is already a big deal.

Miles Morales not being nominated for GOTY was eXpected (to me) as even Sony marketed it as a much smaller game compare to the first one, which it was.

The only years Sony didn't have representation for GOTY were 2014/2015. In 2019, they were also credited for Death Stranding.

I mean, for all its categories, you think it would have won at least one? But no. We will see. But in the end, GOTY doesn't mean much, because Zelda is taking it.

Red Dead Redemption II and God of War 2018 clearly outshoned it in the 2018 awards ceremony. Empty handed but not snubbed, as it was still recognized for so many categories, especially the big categories.

Zelda gonna win, BG3 runner up (if that was a thing).

I hope you guys are right about Zelda. Aside from the technical innovations, Tears of the Kingdom is the only game I've played in a long time that I felt really accomplished about beating. I'm fully expecting Spider-Man 2 to be my favorite game of 2023 but I'm not expecting it to be better than TOTK.

I hope you guys are right about Zelda. Aside from the technical innovations, Tears of the Kingdom is the only game I've played in a long time that I felt really accomplished about beating. I'm fully expecting Spider-Man 2 to be my favorite game of 2023 but I'm not expecting it to be better than TOTK.

Its always Zelda. Even when it shouldn't. Still think Odyssey should have won over BOTW.

Its always Zelda. Even when it shouldn't. Still think Odyssey should have won over BOTW.
Never played Odyssey (or any AC game after the second one) but I will say that TOTK was an improvement over BOTW and that one was already amazing. If TOTK wins this time I'd consider it earned.

Never played Odyssey (or any AC game after the second one) but I will say that TOTK was an improvement over BOTW and that one was already amazing. If TOTK wins this time I'd consider it earned.

Super Mario Odyssey, which released the same year as BOTW.

Super Mario Odyssey, which released the same year as BOTW.
200w.gif

Should have looked into that one more, lol. AC was the first one that popped in my head which is weird because I actually did play Mario Odyssey and I'd probably rank it about equally with BOTW. Maybe I'd give it the edge but there really isn't a wrong choice between the two IMO.

Side note: It's also pretty wild that BOTW and Mario Odyssey came out in the same year.

Who will win Game of the Year?

I'm leaning either Zelda or Baldur's Gate.

Who will win Game of the Year?

I'm leaning either Zelda or Baldur's Gate.
I'd consider it a surprise at this point if it's not one of those 2, despite a ton of good games this year.

I'd consider it a surprise at this point if it's not one of those 2, despite a ton of good games this year.
Let it be a spoiler and that be Super Mario Wonder. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"