Game Awards 2023

I remember when we got the Baldurs Gate 3 reveal and gameplay footage right before Covid shut the world down and it was forgotten about. Now 3 years later its come out and is GOTY. What a success story.

Wake was robbed!!!

Seriously tho congrats to Larian and RIP to my dreams of Elden Ring DLC trailer
Alan Wake won big today, I’m very happy for both Remedy and Larian.

Zelda is taking it all. You are foolish if you think otherwise.

i-am-that-fool-intergalactic-addams-family.gif
@Sithborg, bringing this back for posterity. So what does this "fool" win? :funny:

RIP to my dreams of Elden Ring DLC trailer
We'll get that Bloodborne PC port one day...
I remember when we got the Baldurs Gate 3 reveal and gameplay footage right before Covid shut the world down and it was forgotten about. Now 3 years later its come out and is GOTY. What a success story.
I played the Early Access and knew they got something special. It is indeed a success story. They went from crowd-funding their games on Kickstarter to working on a game based on one of the biggest IPs. And it's a sequel to a 23-year-old game...

I've said it before, but 90s BioWare would have been very proud.

We'll get that Bloodborne PC port one day...

I played the Early Access and knew they got something special. It is indeed a success story. They went from crowd-funding their games on Kickstarter to working on a game based on one of the biggest IPs. And it's a sequel to a 23-year-old game...

I've said it before, but 90s BioWare would have been very proud.
They are actually. I've seen tweets from the old guard who have all sadly left BioWare (including some legends who were fired during the recent layoffs) basically having wonderful things to say about BG3.

The amount of 2025 I saw in trailers was depressing.

Hell, there was one teasing maybe 2026.

Honestly glad the Nintendo console switch is happening soon.

Glad i didnt watch this live, not much for me there in terms of trailers to be honest.
A lot of Scifi settings that at times feel like these games could play in the same universe.

The Awards i didnt care for, they are just so Keighly can butter up to the Publishers.
It is so obvious this guy doesnt care or like the Developers outside of Kojima, so the awards are worthless to me.
They will not help the developers be paid better or treated better.

Keighly could have done so much to help the industry, especially the developers...but he rather rubs shoulders with hollywood and the publishers who ruin the industry.

Okay, I thought the show was really boring. eXodus and Marvel's Blade were the only ones that took my interest when it comes to announcements.

I usually don't care who wins in these award shows, so I only watched it for the trailers. So yeah sigh. A lot of the presenters were also cringed with their commentary.

I just scrolled through at least five TikToks of people raging because Spider-Man 2 didn't win GOTY.

obama-wtf.gif

I'm assuming that was the only game they played this year. It had no chance of winning against BG3, TOTK and AW2.

Yeah, it quickly became clear that it was winning nothing.

Still, Spidey people aren't as funny as the Hogwarts fans.

Yeah, it quickly became clear that it was winning nothing.

Still, Spidey people aren't as funny as the Hogwarts fans.
I haven't seen many reactions about Hogwarts Legacy getting snubbed entirely but I also feel like that game kind of disappeared from the conversation not long after it came out. To be honest, I'm noticing kind of the same thing happening with Spider-Man 2 a little bit because without any DLC announcement, New Game+ or the ability to replay missions yet there isn't a whole lot of replay value to it right now.

I really only watched it for the game trailers, since I haven’t played most of the games that were up for awards. I was hoping (like everyone was) that we’d get an Elden Ring DLC trailer, which of course didn’t happen. But talk about closing out the show with a wet fart. A Monster Hunter trailer? Seriously? Those games are so bad that they are actually lucky that the worst director in Hollywood adapted them into a terrible movie because it’s the only thing that makes the games look good by comparison. What a disappointing night.

I really only watched it for the game trailers, since I haven’t played most of the games that were up for awards. I was hoping (like everyone was) that we’d get an Elden Ring DLC trailer, which of course didn’t happen. But talk about closing out the show with a wet fart. A Monster Hunter trailer? Seriously? Those games are so bad that they are actually lucky that the worst director in Hollywood adapted them into a terrible movie because it’s the only thing that makes the games look good by comparison. What a disappointing night.

Monster Hunter World is Capcom's best selling game. EVER. 19 million copies. Compared to the predecessor to one of the most anticipated games next year, FF 7 Remake, which sold 7 million copies.

I get it if the gameplay loop for Monster Hunter isn't your thing. That's fine. But World has propelled Monster Hunter beyond its niche position into top tier franchise. Hell, Monster Hunter Rise sold 4 million copies the first weekend it was released. When it was only on the Switch at the time.

Monster Hunter World is Capcom's best selling game. EVER. 19 million copies. Compared to the predecessor to one of the most anticipated games next year, FF 7 Remake, which sold 7 million copies.

I get it if the gameplay loop for Monster Hunter isn't your thing. That's fine. But World has propelled Monster Hunter beyond its niche position into top tier franchise. Hell, Monster Hunter Rise sold 4 million copies the first weekend it was released. When it was only on the Switch at the time.

Okay. But do sales and popularity equal quality? Because you have certainly spent a lot of time in the Civil War thread dismissing Infinity War and Endgame as epic failures despite both films having spots in the Top Ten of the all-time box office, as well as high critical and audience scores. And I believe I’ve seen you also dismiss the GOTG movies as trash despite being financially and critically successful because you don’t like James Gunn’s style.

And that’s fine that you feel that way. But your views on those films, despite the general consensus that they were successful, is how I view Monster Hunter.

I do dismiss a lot of what Marvel does. That doesn't mean that when it releases something, it is generally a big deal. And there are a LOT of big name franchises that they could have ended the game awards with. If they had ended with say, Elden Ring DLC, I would have had zero interest, as I dislike that gameplay. But, I wouldn't be saying it didn't deserve the end spot reveal. There are a lot of big game franchises it could have been that I do not care for. Monster Hunter Wilds is probably going to be the biggest game they advertised this year.

$ma$h

Always surprises me that so many people are interested in it, especially as it's not always that great as a gaming showcase or an awards ceremony. Hopefully it gets better after the upset from devs this time around.

Always surprises me that so many people are interested in it, especially as it's not always that great as a gaming showcase or an awards ceremony. Hopefully it gets better after the upset from devs this time around.
I think its the most prolific awards show for games. Plus the game reveals are big attraction for the fans/viewers.

I think its the most prolific awards show for games. Plus the game reveals are big attraction for the fans/viewers.
Nah, the problem is its a traditional gaming journalism wank fest and traditional games journalism has zero credibility. If Geoff Keighley wanted gamers to take it seriously, he would be in the background rather than the face of it. The guy represents everything that's wrong with gaming journalism.

Nah, the problem is its a traditional gaming journalism wank fest and traditional games journalism has zero credibility. If Geoff Keighley wanted gamers to take it seriously, he would be in the background rather than the face of it. The guy represents everything that's wrong with gaming journalism.
I do find it odd that he hosts the actual show, every single year.

I mean, he's one of the few of that old crew of tech TV/Spike TV/G4 to have stayed relevant in the spotlight. His old co-host Tommy Tallarico definitely has some issues.

He remains the face of the show, because he has been for over a decade. Well over a decade. Yes, the Dorito Pope has to balance the corporate interests in the show. Unless you want a small one person show, with nothing else, you need that money to make a grand show.

Is it really any worse than other rewards shows?

I mean, he's one of the few of that old crew of tech TV/Spike TV/G4 to have stayed relevant in the spotlight. His old co-host Tommy Tallarico definitely has some issues.

He remains the face of the show, because he has been for over a decade. Well over a decade. Yes, the Dorito Pope has to balance the corporate interests in the show. Unless you want a small one person show, with nothing else, you need that money to make a grand show.

Is it really any worse than other rewards shows?
Other awards shows are irrelevant. Video games have an advertorial problem and Keighley is the face of that problem. I don't care how long he's been doing it. He shouldn't have been doing it to begin with. As long as Keighley is the host, the VGAs will continue to be a meme. Get John Romero, Will Spector, Ken Levine, Tom Hall etc, someone who actually matters to the industry to host to give it an ounce of credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"