Gender Roles & Identity in contemporary society

Wheels post doesnt read as hateful. He's asking some legitimate questions. If he's willing to discuss it and ask questions that's a good first step.

Agreed. Sometimes we need to pick our battles and not go full scorched earth on someone who's at least attempting to understand a concept.

Gender identity will always be a touchy and difficult subject to navigate. There's a lot of ignorance and misinformation out there.

It's hard to talk about. Everytime I go out to eat, I ration how much I drink because I'm terrified to use the bathroom. Imagine having to consider that every time you leave the house?

That's just one issue I have to face. There are a multitude of others. So it's easy to become oversensitive when people ask honest questions, trying to learn. I try not to overreact.

Hopefully society gets to the point where leaving the house is not terrifying. At least, that's what I'm hoping for at this point.

Gender identity will always be a touchy and difficult subject to navigate. There's a lot of ignorance and misinformation out there.

It's hard to talk about. Everytime I go out to eat, I ration how much I drink because I'm terrified to use the bathroom. Imagine having to consider that every time you leave the house?

That's just one issue I have to face. There are a multitude of others. So it's easy to become oversensitive when people ask honest questions, trying to learn. I try not to overreact.

Hopefully society gets to the point where leaving the house is not terrifying. At least, that's what I'm hoping for at this point.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that :(

If you condemn people for asking questions, how are they ever going to learn? I didn't see the initial post but I am assuming it wasn't some kind of hateful tirade judging by the comments.

If you condemn people for asking questions, how are they ever going to learn? I didn't see the initial post but I am assuming it wasn't some kind of hateful tirade judging by the comments.
You're right. The only way people can learn about anything is by asking questions. I try to keep myself open to questions. In fact, if the original post with questions were to be directly messaged to me I'd do my best to answer.

By watching Contrapoints! No, seriously, very informative and a good starting point imo.

I never saw the original post, so I don't know what was said. I do know that even with the best intentions, coming from a place of ignorance can lead to hurting others unintentionally. Reading or watching any content on the subject has shown me just how scary those with bad intentions are. So I can completely understand the triggering nature of even innocent questions. A lot of the time, they can reflect some of the worst talking points of those with bad intentions. The vast majority of us are ignorant on this subject. As much as I have learned over the last couple of years, I know I am.

As Imjenn has shown us, as difficult as it can be, so many people in the community show great kindness and patience.

By watching Contrapoints! No, seriously, very informative and a good starting point imo.

I never saw the original post, so I don't know what was said. I do know that even with the best intentions, coming from a place of ignorance can lead to hurting others unintentionally. Reading or watching any content on the subject has shown me just how scary those with bad intentions are. So I can completely understand the triggering nature of even innocent questions. A lot of the time, they can reflect some of the worst talking points of those with bad intentions. The vast majority of us are ignorant on this subject. As much as I have learned over the last couple of years, I know I am.

As Imjenn has shown us, as difficult as it can be, so many people in the community show great kindness and patience.

All it takes is asking a person one of those questions when they're having a bad day. Usually we end up being the sole representative of the community to people we know, and a response of anger ( overreactions included) will paint someone's opinion of the entire community.

I'm not perfect. From what I've seen, most people try to help and be educational to those who ask. It is the only path towards acceptance after all.

Does anyone else find those guys that constantly talk about how they either are a Alpha male or worship other men they deem as Alpha males weird?

All those weird guys that need a 'Alpha male' to tell them how to think or act is odd and illogical.

The way a lot of those guys talk just sounds very insecure. They can come across as trying too hard and over compensating. If someone has to tell you something about themselves repeatedly then you start to think who are they trying to convince.

A tough guy doesn't have to walk into a room and tell people they are tough. People will just pick up on the vibe that the guy is not someone you want to mess with.

Also I can't think of anything less manly then being obsessed with your own manliness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"