Geneaology

im too pragmatic to spend 100 on a dna test right now

There are always deals, but their not always seasonal and there's no predictability. If I see any good deals, I'll pass them along your way via this thread if the Mods allow it.

By the way, I just got my Geno 2.0 kit from National Geographic, and if you want a good deal, this would be it. You get your maternal subclade ancestry and autosomal information in one. It also compares your results with recently discovered Denisovan and Neanderthal DNA, since most people with origins out of Africa (Europe, Asia, Indies) have some admixture.

Typically a mtDNA test costs over $200 by itself, and autosomal is another $300. NatGeo has it for $200 for both. Who knows the price might drop for the holidays. That's a bargain CC.

CC,

Just wanted to bring to your attention that there is a big sale on genetic genealogy on FamilyTreeDNA if you're interested:

http://www.familytreedna.com/

Y-DNA (Paternal Ancestry): $119 (originally $169)
mtDNA (Maternal) : $139 (originally $159)
Family Finder (Autosomal): $199 (originally $289)

ancestry.com is still cheaper but just a bit

thanks for the tip though :up:

Anytime, I'll keep you updated when some of these tests get below $100. They're getting there, but it's a slow process.

Family Tree recently said at a convention, they will be offering full genome test for a substantially reduced cost (few thousand dollars ) as well. This test used to cost over $20,000 dollars.

Ancestry of Hominid man pushed back an extra 100,000 years

Dr. Michael Hammer confirmed that indeed, they had discovered the new root of the human Y tree. And not by a little either, but by a lot. [For those who want to take a look for yourself, Ysearch ID 6M5JA]. Hammer’s lab did the age projection on this sample, and it pushed the age of hominid men back by about 100,000 years, from 140,000 years ago to 237,000 years ago.

They then reevaluated the aging on all of the tree and have moved the prior date to about 200,000 years ago and the new one to about 338,000 years ago with a 98% confidence level. This is before the oldest fossils that have been found, and also before the earliest mitochondrial DNA estimate, which previously had been twice as old as the Y line ancestor.

Read this and more notes on the latest Genetic Genealogy Conference here:

http://dna-explained.com/2012/11/13/family-tree-dna-conference-2012-nits-and-grits/

Comic Chick, Great news!

Family Tree DNA Unveils $39 DNA Test in Major Step Toward Universal Access by Individuals to their Own Genetic Data

The world's lowest cost genetic test offers an introduction to the insights and knowledge to be gained from personal genetic and genomic research

By dropping the price of its basic Y-DNA test by 60 percent to $39, Family Tree DNA -- the world's largest processor of Y-DNA and full mitochondrial sequences -- is working to eliminate cost as a barrier to individuals introducing themselves to the insights and knowledge to be gained from personal genetic and genomic research.

Read more about it:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...uals-to-their-own-genetic-data-192109901.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"