General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread

I seriously wonder what Rian's movie is gonna look like. I get the feeling it'll top Empire
:r2:

I dunno but I want to see hayley Atwell in star wars ....if there are indeed two more female characters added to the sw canon.

I love Hayley, and I'd love to see her in SW. But I'm thinking more her playing the lead in a spinoff/anthology film (since she's proven to be leading actress material).

Also I kind of liked the rumors that the new characters will be WOC. TFA took some significant steps forward in this regard, and this would be the next step in that. Plus the actresses who are rumored to be in contention are all really good.

Who are the other actresses? I'm game for whoever if they introduce Reys mother. I read Jennifer Connally would be one of them and surprisingly I do think she can be quite capable. I like her a lot too.

Well Gugu Mbatha-Raw was the big one (but she might be out of the running now). Olivia Cooke and Gina Rodriguez were two other names that came up as well.

Well Gugu Mbatha-Raw was the big one (but she might be out of the running now). Olivia Cooke and Gina Rodriguez were two other names that came up as well.
Left out my fave of the bunch, Tatiana Maslany. It was a good list of candidates for sure.

Oh right, how could I forget about her? Shame on me.

Olivia Cooke is going to be in Ready Player One which shoots same time as Star Wars so she's out. Gugu seems more likely as she couldn't commit to a transfer of a play she was in due to other commitments

Star Wars Episode VII - Here's the deal!

Snoke(The Snake) i.e. Darth Plagueis thought he'd use Ben Solo bka Kylo Ren to help him do his bidding. Ben in turn has some 'bidding' of his own. Whether the spirit of Darth Vader has been influencing Kylo's actions or Kylo has somehow found out about Plagueis's ability to resurrect the dead, he is only helping Plagueis in order to learn the ability in order to resurrect Darth Vader.

I haven't figured out what his ultimate aim is by doing it, but that's the gist of it.

Star Wars Episode VII - Here's the deal!

Snoke(The Snake) i.e. Darth Plagueis thought he'd use Ben Solo bka Kylo Ren to help him do his bidding. Ben in turn has some 'bidding' of his own. Whether the spirit of Darth Vader has been influencing Kylo's actions or Kylo has somehow found out about Plagueis's ability to resurrect the dead, he is only helping Plagueis in order to learn the ability in order to resurrect Darth Vader.

I haven't figured out what his ultimate aim is by doing it, but that's the gist of it.

That actually sounds interesting and it would be fascinating considering that Han told Ben that Snoke was just using him. Wouldn't it be funny if it was Ben who was using Snoke for his knowledge on resurrecting people from the dead?

I first thought Ren and Rey were bro/sis. The cousin angle doesn't really work for me. I also have a feeling Snoke is just some puppet and the real villain has yet to reveal himself. Snoke doesn't really do anything for me. I don't know if he's an expanded universe guy, but he can't be a Sith trained by Palpatine, so how deadly can he really be? Probably just another wannabe. I didn't care for Ren either, they should have just rid themselves of him by falling in the chasm of the planet.

So they will start filming in January? When will they wrap up? I'm thinking they'll immediately announce the official title for VIII once they wrap up.

I don't think Finn will return in Star Wars Episode 8, since no one in the 6 Star Wars movies, Star Wars Rebels, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars have survived a lightsaber injury, besides Darth Maul, he replaced the bottom half of his body with robot legs. Finn's lightsaber injury was on his arm.

Anakin survived multiple lightsaber injuries. Obi-wan survived lightsaber injuries as well.

And Finn's injury was on his shoulder and back. Kylo burnt Finn's shoulder with one of the quillon blades, and later he sliced Finn's back and that's when Finn passes out.

Last edited:
I'm going to predict that Luke gets put in Carbonite in Episode 8.

Here are my early speculations/predictions for Ep. VIII

Takes place 6 months after the events of TFA.

Rey will still be untrained, she will be living at the Jedi Temple, but Luke will refuse to train her initially out of fear that she will succumb to the Dark Side like the other Skywalkers have.

Finn's injuries will be significant, possibly have some robotic parts because of it.

The New Republic will be more prominent in this film, I'm thinking del Toro's role is one of a Senator or Chancellor. He and Leia will clash.

Kylo will be commanded to hunt down and face Luke by Snoke. I think he will sense that Han was right and Snoke is indeed using him.

Either Luke or Leia will die.

There will be other Dark Side users in Ep. VIII.

Now that we have BB-8 with the resistance, and R2-D2 is with Rey, might we see less and less of CP-30.

Rey: Artoo.
Poe: BB-8.
Leia: Threepio.

And they can obviously mix that up whenever, since BeeBee spends a whole lot of TFA with Rey and Finn.

Anakin survived multiple lightsaber injuries. Obi-wan survived lightsaber injuries as well.

And Finn's injury was on his shoulder and back. Kylo burnt Finn's shoulder with one of the quillon blades, and later he sliced Finn's back and that's when Finn passes out.

-Luke also survived a lightsaber injury.
-As did Vader.
-As did Dooku (it was the second one that killed him).
-And we find out in TCW that Maul survived being CUT IN HALF by a lightsaber.
-Etc.

I am thinking Lucasfilm and Disney will play a Darth Maul for Han Solo in Episode VIII, and give him a robotic body and robotic legs.

Here are my early speculations/predictions for Ep. VIII

Takes place 6 months after the events of TFA.

Rey will still be untrained, she will be living at the Jedi Temple, but Luke will refuse to train her initially out of fear that she will succumb to the Dark Side like the other Skywalkers have.

Finn's injuries will be significant, possibly have some robotic parts because of it.

The New Republic will be more prominent in this film, I'm thinking del Toro's role is one of a Senator or Chancellor. He and Leia will clash.

Kylo will be commanded to hunt down and face Luke by Snoke. I think he will sense that Han was right and Snoke is indeed using him.

Either Luke or Leia will die.

There will be other Dark Side users in Ep. VIII.

If I might use some of your extrapolations for my own:

- I think we'll see the New Republic trying to recover from the First Order's attack; the FO still has its main fleet, even if it is almost certainly undersized, so they should be able to be able to project more concentrated force than the Republic for awhile. Poe's look of astonishment when he's taken aboard the Finalizer also implies that the Resistance is outsized by the FO, so it may not be able to form the core of the resurgent republic fleet.
-Going off that point, I think we'll see this film as more the "strategic maneuvers" film. The FO may blitzkrieg it's way over key worlds and resources, places like Kamino (for clones to help build up the Stormtrooper Corps.) or ship yards like Kuat. It may also be shown courting some of the "legitimate" Imperial Remnant planets to it side (I believe the Visual Guide implied that segments of the Empire still exist, just de-weaponized). Similarly, I think we'll see the New Republic marshaling irregular forces to oppose the FO, with the goal being more to contain the FO for now so they can meet them head on later.
- I think we'll see Poe and Finn United destroy some fools, perhaps with Finn's defiance being seen in other Stormtroopers; maybe he even ends up helping some groups raised like him defect (New Republic Stormtroopers in Clone-Style personalized armor would be awesome!) I think Poe may play a mentor role similar to Luke's, albeit without the Force and a bit more just helping Finn grow up and fight against the FO.
- I really expect the Knights of Ren to step up big time here. We've got at least 6 dark side users who aren't the main villains, so these guys may very well be deployed like the Jedi were in the Clone Wars, as field commanders. And having some dark siders walking around means that we've got elite cannon fodder; let's see Rey take on one or two, or have Luke own two or three and show him successfully converting one to the light-side in a reversal of the Vader duel from ESB, or have Finn and Poe take one down. I feel there should be more Knights of Ren fight scenes than Kylo Ren fight scenes, particularly if they're the Inquisitor-level force wielders I think they are; nowhere near a true Sith's levels, and also held back by Snoke to make sure try don't threaten him.
- As for Kylo himself, I really want to see his dark side powers start to stabilize, alongside his personality, alongside some introspection that foils with Rey's growth. Like you, I want to see him realize Snoke's using him, but I want him to also figure out that Snoke was intentionally holding him back; I mean he's called a Master for the Knights of Ren, but he's still clearly undertrained relative to his potential with the possible exception of his interrogation skills. I want him to see Snoke as a full on Broken pedestal, and to at least kill and replace a superior among the Knights of Ren if not Snoke himself.
- And finally, for Rey and Luke. I want them to start addressing any possible Skywalker heritage she has head on; they don't have to have him immediately acknowledge her lineage, but I want that theme in our heads from the word "go." I want to see Luke go through a "How Skywlaker got his groove back" story, facing his fears and issues with his training and getting involved in Galactic Affairs; I want to see a modern Jedi Master going full on Tron-Legacy-Flynn on a battle, turning an entire conflict just by showing up. And I want to see Rey show how much stronger she is with training, maybe face some dark side temptation, and have an awesome reunion with Finn. And maybe, if she is Luke's daughter, finding out some of her Mother's identity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"