General Gaming News

Yeah I'm kinda old school and I prefer playing through a console and inserting a disc.

It's the future.

Its the future yet ps4 the console is near to selling 100 million copies.

I don't know. Cds and Dvds/blu-ray are almost phase out from where I live but not videogame discs/consoles. I think just think like books, the physical format of videogames won't be phased out. And seriously, downloading a full game through the internet takes forever!

yeah, I'm oldschool and old fashioned, too. lol.

I download some digital games ( usually digital only indie titles ) and the occasional PS+ or GWG game. And digital does offer certain advantages and conveniences over physical.

but if given the choice, I will always prefer physical discs/cartridges over digital/streaming. If nothing else, for the sense of ownership physical affords. And if you want to sell//trade in the game later to pay towards another game, you can do that with physical discs. Can't do that with digital/streaming.

And as psylock pointed out, the PS4 is pushing 100 million consoles sold. And the Switch is pushing 30 million in just 2 years. I say that both those cases show consumers still want to have that traditional console experience that includes both physical games and digital.

In fact, that's one factor that hurt Xbox One at reveal. They were trying to push that always online, digital future of games. And consumers pushed back hard on that. So hard that X1 never really recovered from that disastrous reveal, which is one reason why PS4 has outsold it more than 2 to 1.

And now, ironically, MS seems to be going back to that digital/streaming future and seems to be shifting towards a "games as service" focus.

Will consumers be more open now? maybe, maybe not.

The success ( or lack thereof ) of the digital Xbox and this new Google service will be telling.

digital/streaming may be the future, but the internet infrastructure is not there yet to accommodate that future. Fast, high speeds and unlimited data need to be available everywhere for streaming/digital only consoles to take off.

and we are just not there yet.

but there are still those of us old school gamers who do prefer physical media and the traditional console.

The infrastructure is also not there yet. Too many don't have access to fast enough internet to make this super successful. That is part of the reason why Microsoft backed off the original X1 plans.

But, in other news, Disney may be reviving Lucasarts as Lucasfilm Games. Guess we now know how happy they are with EA.

how long does EA hold the rights to SW games?

I prefer a physical disc that won't disappear off a server in a few years and then be lost forever.

I prefer a physical disc that won't disappear off a server in a few years and then be lost forever.
I think this is what the cloud service is supposed to solve . it's used as a personal storage bank of sorts where data is involved . it's newer to the general public un like the corporate and tech worlds though but it been semi around . this will take some time for people that know of it or are just getting to know of it to get used to it.

but it's been working successfully for steam for some time now to a degree . but steam allowed you to get the physical copys as much as you can buy it on their online stores . so you always had alternatives.

for these console publisher they feel they need to push this technology so it'll get to where it's supposed to be . other it won't make any progress but a balance needs to be made too.

hqdefault.jpg

Google's Game Platform Unveiled! - The Rundown
3.1K views 16 hours ago
Published on 19 Mar 2019
#PlayForever #Rundown #news Today in the Rundown, We have the first details on Google new cloud-based gaming platform Stadia! We also find out when Atari's new console the VCS will arrive, find out what's included in the first battle pass for Apex Legends, pull a new Call of Duty mobile game out of our pocket, find out what the Pokemon franchise might be stealing from Marvel, and finally, have an early look at Netflix's new interactive series with Bear Grylls!

0:36
<< Click here to watch Google Stadia

2:08Atari VCS delayed

3:04 Apex battle pass DLC
4:04 Call of Duty Mobile

4:55 PokéVers??

5:45 Netflix interactive You vs wild

source:The Electric Playground Network | EPN

I think this is what the cloud service is supposed to solve . it's used as a personal storage bank of sorts where data is involved . it's newer to the general public un like the corporate and tech worlds though but it been semi around . this will take some time for people that know of it or are just getting to know of it to get used to it.

but it's been working successfully for steam for some time now to a degree . but steam allowed you to get the physical copys as much as you can buy it on their online stores . so you always had alternatives.

for these console publisher they feel they need to push this technology so it'll get to where it's supposed to be . other it won't make any progress but a balance needs to be made too.
And what happens when that license expires or the company goes under? That cloud service is just going to go away and you lose that game forever. There is no physical back up to reinstall, there is no way to reaquire it after they shut down the servers. Cloud computing is just a fancy term for keeping it on a server.

And what happens when that license expires or the company goes under? That cloud service is just going to go away and you lose that game forever. There is no physical back up to reinstall, there is no way to reaquire it after they shut down the servers. Cloud computing is just a fancy term for keeping it on a server.
that very true which has been the sad conundrum of late. since they started this .

the only way I can see that being fixed is if they allow for us in the public to have some sort of tower and our own person cloud base system if we want to keep those games it's some thing that need to be worked out. and thought through thoroughly

other wise cloud will fail. . and this was made as an alturnative to people always claiming they have too mangames and claiming there's toomuch clutter. or for those of us that are Horders cause other people think all those thing's people collect are usless un less it's something them selves they collect. the difference between real horder and collector though is if that person is really useing those thing in real life & currently. instead of it collecting dust.

that's the world we live in.

It's why I am resistent to "put it in the cloud" reasoning. It's great until the cloud goes away then you are left with nothing. It is inevitable but it doesn't have to mean the loss of everything. Right now the way this system works, the cloud is a terrible idea. Like you said if you were allowed your own personal space that cannot be taken away by some company who decided to shut it's doors or revoke the license it would work.

It's why I am resistent to "put it in the cloud" reasoning. It's great until the cloud goes away then you are left with nothing. It is inevitable but it doesn't have to mean the loss of everything. Right now the way this system works, the cloud is a terrible idea. Like you said if you were allowed your own personal space that cannot be taken away by some company who decided to shut it's doors or revoke the license it would work.

yeah they have to realize that . it one of thathing that really killed game I help fix like marvel heroes omege and on of the many thing I feel needs to be fix among others . and why feel might have to get my foot into door and finsh mu schooling as dev among others in my other personal reason's for leaving the hype when do go. some thing's need to be made better for the buyer's though I'm stay on the creative side. But these people need to see thing from both sides.

Crazy times in the world of gaming. I think this will take a long time to get traction with serious gamers (who are not the main target anyway) but it will gain momentum quickly when it does - maybe starting from about 6 years (or one console generation) after it's introduced. It makes too much sense for the companies with such a low risk and low cost form of distributing their product worldwide, and like digital ownership of games which sees big increases every year from those who initially swore against it, it's bound to keep making inroads once it's established.

Eventually. Sadly, I don't think the infrastructure is quite there for this to be a massive hit.
As of today no way is the infrastructure there, except for casual games or easy single player games where stability is less important. But 5G will drop and begin to proliferate soon and be much more widespread by the time anyone is expecting major growth within game streaming. For now it's all about positioning and being ready for a gameplan for when the infrastructure catches up.

Yeah, always the nightmare scenario when you've built up a massive library over many years.

MS ( and possible Sony ) can differentiate itself from Google by being the place where you can get BOTH the traditional console experience AND a streaming experience. I don't see why the 2 can't coexist. That way, you offer the consumer the most choice and options on how they want to play.

Not so fast...

Update: Disney has reached out to the media to explain that this isn't a "revival" and it's definitely not anything like LucasArts. The team at Lucasfilm that oversees games relating to its IP (including Star Wars Battlefront II) has been working under that name for years. As it explained to GamesIndustry.biz, Lucasfilm plans to continue its strategy of licensing IP to others.

I was briefly happy and now back to disappointed although I am hoping they give the IP to someone besides EA.

I'm all digital but prefer the option of both ways

I want somebody else to get the star wars rights but I have to say..I'm still overall happy with Battlefront II. I play it all the time.

I'm also curious about Fallen Order coming out this year. It'll be revealed at star wars celebration

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"