Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal | Adult Swim

'Primal' season 2 exclusive: Creator teases more action, new worlds

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The first-season finale seems to promise a massive expansion of the show's world. How different is season 2 from what's come before?

GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY: The introduction of Mira gives light that there is more civilization out there that's more advanced. Once you get to ancient civilizations, you go instantly to, like, Pharaohs, Stargate, 10,0000 BC, all those movies. I realized everything we were talking about felt too cliché, too done. So we broke everything down and restarted, and came up with a direction that is more unique. It's gonna keep you on your toes, and basically from [episode] 11 to 20, it's one story. That's the big difference from the first season.

It's even more emotionally complex. The action is on a scale beyond what we've done, and it keeps getting amped up as we go deeper and deeper into the season. There's shock in it. There's a big surprise that's either going to get people to hate me or enjoy it, but as a storyteller this is me having fun. It's super Heavy Metal–ish. It's still pulpy, but at its core the character story between Fang and Spear — it goes bonkers. That was the best surprise of the first season. It wasn't the violence — it was their relationship that people picked up on. As a filmmaker and storyteller, that's what you're most excited about.

CA909E65-A19B-451D-B27D-35FB5660B61F.jpeg

Exclusive: Genndy Tartakovsky Discusses the Prehistoric Perfection of 'Primal' S2

CB14CE5F-3588-4F09-8A6E-D555428F2BF1.jpeg 9DD239D4-7A7F-47B7-B704-13703C9654A4.jpeg 44E7A887-004F-4272-80FA-A3C1FA529427.jpeg BD3E0397-20E8-4CE3-88F9-C705764FD0EA.jpeg

Why do you think the show has attracted such a huge fan base?

Well, first of all, I think it’s beautiful to look at. Ever since I saw Scott Wills’ paintings, even before Samurai Jack, I couldn’t take my eyes off of them. They were very special and really artistic. In terms of story, we really tried to focus on the relationship between Spear and Fang. It’s never just violence for the sake of having it. We could easily have gone in that direction, but we really wanted to focus on the relationship. That’s why there was a big exploration of the relationship between a man and a beast — or “dog,” however you want to look at it. It’s very accessible and simple.

Exactly. Tell us a little bit about how interesting it is to explore a dialog-free format?

Well, we have a few words in the second season, but it’s still not English, so it’s almost like they’re not talking. It’s been the biggest surprise for me to realize how much more you are drawn in and focused because they’re not talking. My biggest fear in the beginning days was that the show would be too much like an independent movie. But now, I feel like we’ve connected with the audience the same way as a regular show. It’s more about how. You really feel the visuals.

Are there any plans to release Primal Season 2 theatrically, like the first season?

Well, the second season is 10 episodes long, so that would be a very long movie. But maybe someone could do a two-hour cut version of it!

Genndy Tartakovsky Primal Season 2 interview | IndieWire

This points to the artistic growth of the 2D animation team at the French-based Studio La Cachette, who were tasked with a lot more animated complexity: Spear and Fang aren’t merely fighting dinosaurs — they’re combating armies in wars, and the scale of action is more cinematic. “There are a number of episodes where there are eight to 10-minute fight sequences,” Tartakovsky said. “And each one of those almost broke the studio.”

I’m hyped to see all of these fight sequences!!! :mrk:

After this 10-episode iteration of “Primal,” Tartakovsky revealed for the first time his intention of turning “Primal” into an anthology franchise, embracing other genres in the same minimalist animation style. “The big idea is that ‘Primal’ becomes a brand,” he said. “Visceral, emotional, raw, minimal dialogue, artistic. And, with this brand, it can be about aliens, World War II. We’ll see if anybody is excited about it.”

Very intriguing!

Just watched the first two episodes of S2, and I loved both episodes!

The first episode had so many stunning shots throughout, and the suspense during the latter half had me on the edge of my seat.

Then it was fun seeing Spear and Fang being separated with Fang meeting the dinosaur and Spear fighting the Celtic warriors before healing and staying with them, but it was not meant to be.

My jaw dropped when Fang and the other dino attacked the village at the end, but was sad when she knocked her potential mate into the spear!

Last edited:
'Primal' creator reveals why there will never be a live-action movie

A PRIMAL LIVE-ACTION MOVIE?

Tartakovsky is a true animation devotee, but this wouldn’t be the first time Hollywood tried to turn one of his projects into live-action. At Comic-Con, he revealed that several “big-name directors” have reached out about making a live-action version of Primal because they love the show. However, it probably won’t happen if Tartakovsky has anything to say about it. “Hollywood ruins everything,” he said.

A PRIMAL X SAMURAI JACK CROSSOVER?

Don’t get too excited. When asked which character from a previous show he’d want to put in Primal’s world, Tartakovsky initially declined to comment, explaining that he didn’t want to fuel any of the already wild fan theories that exist. But again, he couldn’t resist commenting.

“Jack would do pretty well in Primal,” Tartakovsky mused, before adding, “Aku would too.”

Just caught up on season 2, I love the animation style. This show is great. I hope he does an animated movie at some point. Keep it animation though this art style is awesome. Spear went from caveman to barbarian now. Sword and sorcery aspect of this show is really cool.

Last edited:

Also caught on all the episodes as well, and the third episode of S2 had beautiful animation, sound design, the score was epic and so on. Loved seeing moments like Spear in the cave, encountering the village, and the encounter with the Viking and the Bear! The ending had me going yay, then had me excited for next week!

When I thought of the scorpion and Meera as a slave I was thinking more like the movie 10,000 BC. I was picturing Egypt using slaves to build pyramids or some type of sand culture. The vikings were a curve ball from what I was thinking. But it makes sense following each episode we are introduced to Celts, then Vikings. So it seems like Spear made his way to the northern part of the world. Not sure if this world is pangea or some time after the separation of the land masses.

An older article I found with Genndy Talking season 2 and other shows. I had no idea he had other shows coming out. Primal Season 2: How Genndy Tartakovsky's Prehistoric Series Has Evolved

Just watched the newest episode today and man I am really loving the stuff with the Vikings. The visuals with the red mist were jaw dropping as well as the brutal action sequences.

I also find it amazing that this season has barely begun and yet they definitely aren't wasting any time setting up the new characters and establishing more of this world which shows you just how great the storytelling is.

The writers behind this show deserve so much praise IMO.

Just watched the newest episode today and man I am really loving the stuff with the Vikings. The visuals with the red mist were jaw dropping as well as the brutal action sequences.

I also find it amazing that this season has barely begun and yet they definitely aren't wasting any time setting up the new characters and establishing more of this world which shows you just how great the storytelling is.

The writers behind this show deserve so much praise IMO.
Speaking of the phenomenal writing, it was obvious that Fang was going to get involved in the battle at the beginning of the episode; and they still have the talent of making the painfully obvious that's fixing to happen still give you goosebumps.

Just an old video about the behind the scenes. I love seeing how they draw in this style.

5 minutes into the latest episode and I can definitely say I wasn't expecting this.
I had to double check to make sure it is Primal that's on.:wow:

I had to make sure too, as I definitely was not expecting the show to take place during that period. As a stand-alone episode, it was awesome, but I can see people not liking it due to the absence of Spear and Fang.

Well, if last night's episode was any indication, I'd honestly welcome more standalone episodes that take place within this universe, especially if its as well directed as what we got yesterday.

I swear the fight choreography in this show is some of the best I've ever seen in any animated show, so, please bring on a Primal spinoff/anthology series and I'd watch the hell out of it.

I just didn't like the fact that we took the detour right at this moment. I am too invested in the main story. I also didn't care for the last word ending, they should've left it without Darwin saying anything. Just let it sit in the moment. That ruined the tone after so much build up. To me that was a throwback to his dexter's laboratory style. The last word after a huge sequence of events.

Reactions: Lip
they should've left it without Darwin saying anything. Just let it sit in the moment.
Agreed.

Also, I didn't like that episode. I welcome more standalone episodes, I just didn't like this one.

This show is brilliantly written and I'm also excited to see spin-offs.

Based on this interview, that definitely sound like a possibility, I’m guessing Primal Theory was testing the waters to this idea.

Genndy Tartakovsky Primal Season 2 interview | IndieWire

After this 10-episode iteration of “Primal,” Tartakovsky revealed for the first time his intention of turning “Primal” into an anthology franchise, embracing other genres in the same minimalist animation style. “The big idea is that ‘Primal’ becomes a brand,” he said. “Visceral, emotional, raw, minimal dialogue, artistic. And, with this brand, it can be about aliens, World War II. We’ll see if anybody is excited about it.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"